Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Got mine set up and updated last night. Then went to bed. Will finish the rest of the logistical shenanigans today. I certainly noticed the delays in changing menus. Wow. That's going to be annoying if they don't fix that. So far the interface is clean and very appealing.
Old 11-21-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of my time playing ZombiU, I almost dread advancing whatsoever. It is truly that effective to me. My wife was watching me play last night and she literally shrieked out loud.
Old 11-21-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

up to 74.4% on GameRankings for ZombiU, quite a hike from the 60% it started at.
Old 11-21-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't really looked into this but is there a way to transfer just my wii points to the Wii u? I am thinking that I should leave everything else on the Wii since it seems like it's a pain to play VC games / Wii games on the Wii U.

I need to tell my wife that I need to open the wii u now instead of waiting until x-mas because of all the patches / setup time. I'll just remind her of the ps3 from last x-mas that took forever to get up and running.

Originally Posted by jdpatri
Still wanted to take advantage of TRU B1G1 40% off. Still planning on ZombiU... but what else? Scribblenauts? Anyone playing Darksiders II? How's the port? Use of the GamePad?
No mario?
Old 11-21-12, 09:59 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Krayzie
I haven't really looked into this but is there a way to transfer just my wii points to the Wii u? I am thinking that I should leave everything else on the Wii since it seems like it's a pain to play VC games / Wii games on the Wii U.
Nope.

They remain on the Wii or the "Wii" app.
Old 11-21-12, 10:02 AM

Well damn! I guess I need to go through the Wii Store and find more crap to buy.
Old 11-21-12, 10:05 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wtf is up with his fingers?

I actually watched the giantbomb playing of Batman, and they just would not shut up about the frame rate being bad...

also..just to add fuel to the fire..

Chief technical officer, Oles Shishkovtsov, explains why Metro’s sequel won’t be appearing.

“[The] Wii U has a horrible, slow CPU,” explained Shishkovtsov. “We had an early look at it, we thought we could probably do it, but in terms of the impact we would make on the overall quality of the game – potentially to its detriment – we just figured it wasn’t worth pursuing at this time. It’s something we might return to. I really couldn’t make any promises, though.”

Despite Nintendo’s console offering Metro: Last Light new experiences to its players with it dual screens, when asked Shishkovtsov was adamant that the Wii U would ever seen Metro: Last Light when asked directly.

“We had an initial look at the Wii U, but given the size of the team and compared to where we were last time, just developing for the Playstation 3 is a significant addition.”
Old 11-21-12, 10:08 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
Most of my time playing ZombiU, I almost dread advancing whatsoever. It is truly that effective to me. My wife was watching me play last night and she literally shrieked out loud.

that sounds like my experience with Condemned: Criminal Origins. that game scared the sh1t out of me. I never finished it. I sold it(360 copy) years ago. During Halloween sales on gamestop, I bought the PC version for $3. I am determined to finish it.

I would love to give ZombiU a try. Can I come over?
Old 11-21-12, 10:10 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpatri
Still wanted to take advantage of TRU B1G1 40% off. Still planning on ZombiU... but what else? Scribblenauts? Anyone playing Darksiders II? How's the port? Use of the GamePad?
Is that sale still going on? I thought it was for one day only.

Is TRU doing any kind of deals on accessories? I want to pick up a pro controller.
Old 11-21-12, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet

Is TRU doing any kind of deals on accessories? I want to pick up a pro controller.
The 20% off TRU coupon works on the pro controller.

Also today is the last day for the b1g1 40% off.
Old 11-21-12, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sale is supposedly still active according to website.
Old 11-21-12, 10:23 AM
Banned by request

The 20% off TRU coupon works on the pro controller.

Also today is the last day for the b1g1 40% off.
I will head over to TRU today before work.

Last edited by Supermallet; 11-21-12 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-21-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Why would a Wii U game look better than a game for a system that's been out for 6+ years? Did you even see any games from the Xbox 360 or PS3 launch? It takes time for developers to fully utilize all the tech inside a console.
I was there day one, and most (Kameo, Condemned, CoD2, PGR, even King Kong) looked markedly better than the best of what was on PS2/Xbox. There was a clear delineation between generations(as with every generation) and those games provided that "oh shit, I gotta buy this" level of beauty. The WiiU doesn't have that. It has a "eh, looks like a 360/PS3 game" going for it.

So yeah, expecting a 2012 console launch title to stand above current games on 7 year old hardware isn't an unrealistic expectation. Gamers have been conditioned by these companies to expect that, otherwise why buy their $x00 machine on day 1?

On the flipside I fully expect to be blown away by games that launch with the next Xbox or PS4. I have no doubt they will look better than Halo 4 or Uncharted 3. Nintendo seems to just do the bare minimum tech-wise to stay relevant with core gamers... and we let them. My console should be arriving today.

I think the problem is probably the other two consoles. Why would a third party push the WiiU tech when they can just port the 360/PS3 version? Gotta play to the lowest common denominator. Ignoring that, there's no excuse for exclusives like ZombieU to not wow you at first glance.

Sounds like I'm bitching, but I'm really not. Just kinda disappointed watching the comparison vids and commenting.
Old 11-21-12, 10:56 AM

I will head over to TRU today before work.
I am guessing you found the coupon? If not, I can look through my email. They sent it out to people who sign up for their spam. It was also in the sunday ad. Looks like the coupon is actually available for print in their online sunday ad.

I forgot that the b1g1 40% off Wii U sale is actually in their BF ad as well. Probably much easier to just go to the store now though.
Old 11-21-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm surprised how many systems I've seen in the past couple days at different Target and Best Buy locations. Thought for sure they would have issues meeting demand. So I guess either this thing isn't that limited or there isn't much demand for it yet. I'm still on the side that isn't that impressed with the system yet, but that may change over time when more games are available.
Old 11-21-12, 01:20 PM
Banned by request

I am guessing you found the coupon? If not, I can look through my email. They sent it out to people who sign up for their spam. It was also in the sunday ad. Looks like the coupon is actually available for print in their online sunday ad.

I forgot that the b1g1 40% off Wii U sale is actually in their BF ad as well. Probably much easier to just go to the store now though.
Weird, I thought I responded to this. I found a place to print it out, thanks!

My copy of Assassin's Creed arrived, but still waiting on the system. I think I'll head over to TRU while I wait, pick up Mario and ZombiU and the pro controller.
Old 11-21-12, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I'm surprised how many systems I've seen in the past couple days at different Target and Best Buy locations. Thought for sure they would have issues meeting demand. So I guess either this thing isn't that limited or there isn't much demand for it yet. I'm still on the side that isn't that impressed with the system yet, but that may change over time when more games are available.
The stores around me are all out. My nephew has been calling around trying to find one.
Old 11-21-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My kids haven't mentioned the system to me. I asked my 15 year old nephew if any of his friends want or already have a Wii U and he said *none*.
Old 11-21-12, 01:29 PM
Banned by request

Stores in LA are all out, too, even though the online sites say some locations have them in stock. Must be items on hold/reserved.
Old 11-21-12, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Well the call of Mario got to me. Had to order the system even though I said I wouldn't. Got a deluxe in the cart Monday and it got delivered today. Had to pick up Mario separately since they didn't ship that in time for this weekend. So I'll have an extra copy if anyone hear is having a hard time finding a copy and wants it.

I love unboxing a new system on Thanksgiving weekend.
Old 11-21-12, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I was there day one, and most (Kameo, Condemned, CoD2, PGR, even King Kong) looked markedly better than the best of what was on PS2/Xbox. There was a clear delineation between generations(as with every generation) and those games provided that "oh shit, I gotta buy this" level of beauty. The WiiU doesn't have that. It has a "eh, looks like a 360/PS3 game" going for it.

So yeah, expecting a 2012 console launch title to stand above current games on 7 year old hardware isn't an unrealistic expectation.
Gamers have been conditioned by these companies to expect that, otherwise why buy their $x00 machine on day 1?

On the flipside I fully expect to be blown away by games that launch with the next Xbox or PS4. I have no doubt they will look better than Halo 4 or Uncharted 3. Nintendo seems to just do the bare minimum tech-wise to stay relevant with core gamers... and we let them. My console should be arriving today.

I think the problem is probably the other two consoles. Why would a third party push the WiiU tech when they can just port the 360/PS3 version? Gotta play to the lowest common denominator. Ignoring that, there's no excuse for exclusives like ZombieU to not wow you at first glance.

Sounds like I'm bitching, but I'm really not. Just kinda disappointed watching the comparison vids and commenting.
This has been my thought on this system as well. It's the main reason I don't feel the need to have it right away like I did when I got the 360. I've kind of gotten a laugh when I see the term "next-gen" thrown around when talking about the WiiU on Facebook for example of people that have been getting the system. When in fact in my opinion it finally joined this current generation, or perhaps a generation "1.25" one might say.
Old 11-21-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah see that's now how I remember the 360 launch at all. While I thought it looked like a marked improvement over the Xbox and PS3 I recall a tremendous amount of flack in its direction for not being a true generational upgrade, being a Xbox 1.5 of sorts.

Kameo was about the only game with really impressive visuals.

I think next generation will see some graphically impressive titles at launch since we've moved closer to a PC-style upgrade now where you can basically take older games and increase the poly count, detail, draw distance, resolution and frame rate directly.

I agree the Wii U isn't graphically all that impressive, but I think it has potential, we'll see.

I bought ZombiU and New SMB Wii U for a total of $100 at TRU, I forgot Nintendo went up to $60 games and am saddened by that. Will probably try to snag another copy of NSMB Wii U from Old Navy for free on Friday morning.
Old 11-21-12, 02:28 PM
Banned by request

Man, fuck Toys R Us. I asked for SMBU and ZombiU to do the B1G1, and they're out of ZombiU. I then try to use the 20% off coupon on the pro controller, they don't accept it for electronics. I ask them to see if one of the other stores has ZombiU in stock. The woman had no clue how to find it in the system. Turns out none of my local TRU stores have ZombiU in stock.

And apparently they don't even list it online.
Old 11-21-12, 02:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

People are forgetting that the current gen was the jump to HD...very noticeable. The next gen we'll still be in HD. Yeah, there will be higher-res textures, more polygons, and a better frame rate -- but don't expect to be "blown away" like you were the last time.
Old 11-21-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw three deluxes and two basic consoles over lunch at Wal-Mart. Unless they put them out 5 minutes before I walked up, I'm not sure that's a good sign for the Wii U.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.