Reload this Page >

The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Old 11-19-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

How many controllers does this system need, sheesh.
Old 11-19-12, 10:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 11-20-12, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Well, shit. Walmart online had a bundle on sale, so I ordered an 8 GB with Assassin's Creed 3 (didn't get it yet for any of the other consoles). I'll be able to do reviews for it so it's not an entirely frivolous purchase.
Reviews for where? Here? The last review posted here was from 355 days ago.
Old 11-20-12, 12:15 AM
Banned by request

Not here.

Although of the last ten most recent reviews, I did write six.
Old 11-20-12, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 627 Posts

I don't know, nor do I have a pro controller at the moment, so I cannot say.

Does the Wii U accept the Wii classic controller, or only the nunchuck?
The classic pro controller works. I was using it last night for Black Ops 2 multiplayer.

Took a while to get my system set up. Having to unplug & move the sensor bar from the Wii to the Wii U was a pain; as was re-syncing my only Wiimote between one and the other to do the file transfer. I think it worked but I don't recall seeing the finishing animation when I put the SD card back into the Wii U after my content blasted off from the Wii.

Last edited by Noonan; 11-20-12 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-20-12, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

Geez, ZombiU is finally above the 70% average mark but the review scores are still funny.

4.5, 5, 6, 6.3, 7, 8, 8.1, 8.4, 9, 9
Old 11-20-12, 08:38 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, has it been determined if Wii-U is more powerful than 360 and PS3? do the cross platform games look better or worse? Yes I know graphics don't mean everything, but with this being the first "next gen" system, I am curious.
Old 11-20-12, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Right now it's almost impossible to say since there are a few half-assed ports arriving now.
Old 11-20-12, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Black Ops 2 looks no different than what I've seen of the 360 version. Ports of games which are also coming out for 360/PS3 will probably look exactly the same, even with the extra power in the Wii U. I think 3rd party games will start to look better when all versions are being developed for next gen consoles.

Just the fact that it can stream a full game to the gamepad with no noticeable latency while someone else is playing on the TV tells us that it has some decent power behind it.
Old 11-20-12, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's been posted I believe here, and elsewhere that Black Ops 2 is 720p on WiiU and less on both PS3 and 360, maybe 540p? The youtube video that was posted demostrates it pretty well.
Old 11-20-12, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's tough to say, Black Ops II is 880x720 on the 360 and 864x720 on the PS3, though there are some rumors of "dynamic" resolution, so they could be slightly higher or lower than that.

That's higher than the previous entries on either system.
Old 11-20-12, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
So, has it been determined if Wii-U is more powerful than 360 and PS3? do the cross platform games look better or worse? Yes I know graphics don't mean everything, but with this being the first "next gen" system, I am curious.
<iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:gametrailers.com:ecf8ad64-4e86-4e73-b5c0-3e874b10b8a9" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

Old 11-20-12, 11:21 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it appears to me that wii-u has a little more "gloss" on the character models. Textures seem to be a little better. however is this really due to system power or the developer putting in some extra time with the wii-u version?
Old 11-20-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

If I had already owned Assassin's Creed for another system I might have skipped it, but I figure the Wii U version probably won't be too gimped, right?

Right?

Guys?

Edit, apparently it isn't gimped at all, and the gamepad is used for the on-screen map and to use your inventory: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-360-versions/

Guess that was a good choice, then.
I think the big issue with the WiiU port is that it won't go on clearance as fast as the other versions... so maybe it'll be dirt cheap in two months instead of one.

Seriously, though, I went to Target today and saw they had a sale on Skylanders Giants starter kits and got all excited... but the WiiU version is not included...

The console has already frozen twice (once while playing NintendoLand, once with NSMBU, which are the only two games I have) in the short time I've had it, which is a bit concerning. And the only way I could figure to restart it was to unplug the power cable. That doesn't seem to be good. I'm holding off of my Wii transfer because of this.

I hope they get their server problems worked out before "the masses" buy this, because it really felt like a PS3 experience for me... put the game in, download an update for an hour, install the update, then no longer have any time to play.

I do like the tablet controller more than I thought I would. I still don't understand why people are enamored that this thing can control your TV and cable box. Don't most people have a receiver that handles the sound and switches inputs, which makes this useless? Granted, I've run out of HDMI slots on my receiver and so have it plugged in via Wii component anyway, but still.

NSMBU is a good game, and hey, HD, but I still haven't finished NSMB2 on the 3DS, which is fine for a portable experience, so I'm not really that excited to play the WiiU version on the tablet. I mean, if you could let me play Xenogear Saga on it, then we're talking.

I was considering returning ZombiU and getting Scribblenauts instead, but I'm easily swayed, so I think I'll open it. Hey, Red Steel wasn't that bad, right? No, you're right, it was...
Old 11-20-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think if I could actually open the system and try it out I would feel less buyers remorse than I do at this moment. I think the comment a few posts above about ignoring reviewers is key to me feeling better about this system. I think everyone is entitled to like or dislike a game and as someone that rents so many game not every game I play is something I had to spend 60.00 on and therefore if it sucks it can be sent right back to GameFly. The problem with these reviewers is their comments about the actual Wii U system. It's been out less than a week and people are just ripping it apart on their various sites I visit. These are people I want to avoid. Will this system continue to expand and grow like the 360 has in 7 years? Who knows....but trying to make that call for the Wii U when it is so early in the life cycle of the system is irresponsible for these game journalists. Arthur Gies at Polygon.com is probably someone I'll have to unfollow on Twitter because of shit like this. The guy normally comes off a bit pretentious on the podcast he does but he's become an insufferable prick since this launch. Maybe he'll mellow out here soon.
Old 11-20-12, 12:44 PM
Banned by request

Every new console has birthing pains. The problem with the Wii U is that it's not being compared to new systems from its competitors, but mature systems with the kinks worked out and diverse game libraries.
Old 11-20-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the system, but I will be honest - I hate how they totally skimped on the battery in the gamepad. Check out the picture...

Old 11-20-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I think if I could actually open the system and try it out I would feel less buyers remorse than I do at this moment. I think the comment a few posts above about ignoring reviewers is key to me feeling better about this system. I think everyone is entitled to like or dislike a game and as someone that rents so many game not every game I play is something I had to spend 60.00 on and therefore if it sucks it can be sent right back to GameFly. The problem with these reviewers is their comments about the actual Wii U system. It's been out less than a week and people are just ripping it apart on their various sites I visit. These are people I want to avoid. Will this system continue to expand and grow like the 360 has in 7 years? Who knows....but trying to make that call for the Wii U when it is so early in the life cycle of the system is irresponsible for these game journalists. Arthur Gies at Polygon.com is probably someone I'll have to unfollow on Twitter because of shit like this. The guy normally comes off a bit pretentious on the podcast he does but he's become an insufferable prick since this launch. Maybe he'll mellow out here soon.
I think they're just skeptical, as I am. I don't doubt that the system will do well, as the Wii did, but will it thrive for third-party games? Sure, there is some support now, but what will that look like in a year or two? That's what happened with the Wii - the third parties supported it out of the gate, but it didn't last.

With presumably more advanced systems on the way from MS and Sony, I have to wonder if we'll see the Wii situation play out again, where Nintendo's system isn't powerful enough to run the games that push the other consoles. Even though the Wii sold like hotcakes, developers could target a much bigger market in the combined 360 + PS3 + PC base. Other than lighter games like the Lego and Rock Band series, most were too demanding for the Wii.

Not that any of this matters for Nintendo's games. I'm sure they'll make some great games and the system will be profitable for them. I just don't know if it will be a legitimate system for third-party games in the long run. Until they can prove otherwise, I would have to have the mindset that, potentially, this will be a system for Nintendo's own games and not much else.

I don't mean to bash the system. I'm just not ready to jump on board and assume this will get Nintendo back to even Gamecube levels of third-party support, let alone NES/SNES levels.
Old 11-20-12, 01:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
I love the system, but I will be honest - I hate how they totally skimped on the battery in the gamepad. Check out the picture...
I'm guessing the strategy is to sell an overpriced "extended life" battery that fully fits in that space.
Old 11-20-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only reason 3rd party support for the Wii sucked was because it wasn't powerful enough to run straight ports of games. There were/are more than enough Wii's in the market to make it worth while to release games if the system could handle it. If the next wave of MS/Sony consoles have the same type of listed output (1080p, 60fps), all major games will mostly likely hit all three systems. If the new Xbox and PS are significantly more powerful than the Wii U, it may fall into the same issue where games are made for the big sellers and not ported down to the Wii.
Old 11-20-12, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts

Problem with that is there is always an excuse for poor third party support. With the N64 it was the cart. With the GCN it was the 1.3GB discs. With the Wii, it's because it was basically a Gamecube.

Nintendo acts surprised when 3rd party support falters but it's clear as day to any halfwit internet gamer, why. They cheap out on the specs to run a profit on day one, and it hurts them in the long run in terms of support.

Every new console has birthing pains. The problem with the Wii U is that it's not being compared to new systems from its competitors, but mature systems with the kinks worked out and diverse game libraries.
I think it rightfully should. Off all Nintendo consoles, this one shouldn't get a pass just because it's new. I keep reading praise for CoD or Batman looking just as good (or a tad better) as the other two systems... to me that's a big WTF? Those systems are 6-7 years old. Congrats on matching 2005 tech. This system should look significantly better on day 1.

/rant
Old 11-20-12, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Arthur Gies at Polygon.com is probably someone I'll have to unfollow on Twitter because of shit like this. The guy normally comes off a bit pretentious on the podcast he does but he's become an insufferable prick since this launch. Maybe he'll mellow out here soon.
I wouldn't hold my breath, that's always been his shtick.
Old 11-20-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

I haven't read any system reviews myself, but I can understand people putting their thoughts on the system as-is. That's what people are looking for. This is the age of the internet after all, where everyone has an opinion and needs to voice it with as much exaggeration and vitriol as possible. You can't really judge everything by just a launch (otherwise the Dreamcast would've... ugh let's not revisit that). But I do get the sense that this was rushed out because otherwise they would've had to wait until after Xmas... the massive system update, the updates that every game needs, etc. And because of that games either got delayed or are seemingly poor or lackluster ports.

It's also being compared to systems that aren't even announced yet...

Originally Posted by Noonan
The only reason 3rd party support for the Wii sucked was because it wasn't powerful enough to run straight ports of games. There were/are more than enough Wii's in the market to make it worth while to release games if the system could handle it. If the next wave of MS/Sony consoles have the same type of listed output (1080p, 60fps), all major games will mostly likely hit all three systems. If the new Xbox and PS are significantly more powerful than the Wii U, it may fall into the same issue where games are made for the big sellers and not ported down to the Wii.
The other problem with the Wii is that it had a different control scheme. This is the same for the WiiU. Some developers will probably take the easier way out and just use the tablet for a map, or stream the game to the tablet, but you'd think you'd need a dedicated effort to really port over a game for the WiiU. Nintendo's strength as a 1st party developer also seems to hurt it too, when people know that they can just buy 1st party games and still have a great experience. I mean you have games like Mad World and No More Heroes that were flawed, sure, but were also targeted at an audience that Nintendo's first party offerings were not, and all that garnered was failure. It'll be interesting to see how Bayonetta 2 turns out, even as a 1st party game.
Old 11-20-12, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone added more than one user id to their console? I'm curious as to whether or not the games downloaded under my account can be played by my gf under her account (once we get everything set up)? Or if we have to do everything under my id.
Old 11-20-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L

Is that perpendicular recess meant to hold a bigger battery in the future or something?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.