Reload this Page >

The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Old 11-19-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 627 Posts
re: The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Thanks. I may have a micro SD I can use with an adapter. Or just transfer the content of one to a PC and put it back when I'm done. Looks like I won't be able to avoid that.
Old 11-19-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, this is incredible. Apparently right at the start of the game, you can see this, added to the game after the first wave of reviews...

Old 11-19-12, 03:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So, people have been giving it poor reviews because they think it's...what? A platformer? Why is it controversial that ZombiU is survival horror?
Old 11-19-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
So, people have been giving it poor reviews because they think it's...what? A platformer? Why is it controversial that ZombiU is survival horror?
I think it's more of the fact that they are proud of it ....you know, rather than some other developers.
Old 11-19-12, 03:35 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to walmart on my lunch hour and i was extremely surprised that they had multiple Wii-Us in stock. Nintendo evidently had alot to supply or it isn't selling that great.
Old 11-19-12, 03:51 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I think it's more of the fact that they are proud of it ....you know, rather than some other developers.
I don't know what you're referencing here. Also, I don't know why a company being proud of making survival horror would result in poor reviews.
Old 11-19-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of the reviews give the impression that they were saddened that it wasn't more of an action game. They mention the shortage of ammo, having to take your time and this and that. Some reviews even praise the multiplayer since you have unlimited ammo and can just mow down zombies, something you don't have and can't do in the main game. A lot of them just come across like they just don't get the point.

I'm not saying it's a good game either way, just that is what it seems to be to me. Something is surely going on since it seems those that are going into it expecting what it was meant to be are giving it great reviews, for the most part.
Old 11-19-12, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

The recent horror games like Dead Space and latter-day Resident Evil would probably be considered action games with a horror atmosphere rather than true survival horror where inventory is actually limited and dying has real consequences. I mean, as great a game as RE4 is, I was hardly ever in a resource-depleted position and I'm at best an average gamer. I think it's possible some folks who are used to these games might find the more pure survival horror experience a little too punishing and therefore, not very fun.
Old 11-19-12, 04:19 PM
Banned by request

So how about people who've actually played it? Is it good?
Old 11-19-12, 04:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Now, there may be other problems with the game but I was under the impression that this was more "Dead Souls" than "Dead Island". Apparently, that's striking the wrong chord in some players.

Last edited by Groucho; 11-19-12 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-19-12, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So how about people who've actually played it? Is it good?
From what I've seen, yes. Go to this thread at GAF and start on this page and read over a bit of it...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...498511&page=36

Originally Posted by Groucho
Now, there may be other problems with the game but I was under the impression that this was more "Dead Souls" than "Dead Island". Apparently, that's striking the wrong cord in some players.
That's a good way to put it, yeah. If you go into it not expecting a difficult, true survivor horror experience, then you're gonna have a bad time. This isn't a run and gun shooter with horror elements. It's a survivor horror game in which the goal is to simply survive, and to take your time doing so.

That's not to say there may be other faults (and even the highly positive ones point them out), but it looks leaps and bounds more deserving of a 4.5 or 6.whatever out of 10. Those read as complete jokes to me, especially the one from gamespot.
Old 11-19-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
The recent horror games like Dead Space and latter-day Resident Evil would probably be considered action games with a horror atmosphere rather than true survival horror where inventory is actually limited and dying has real consequences. I mean, as great a game as RE4 is, I was hardly ever in a resource-depleted position and I'm at best an average gamer. I think it's possible some folks who are used to these games might find the more pure survival horror experience a little too punishing and therefore, not very fun.
This is pretty much it. The gang on Weekend Confirmed discussed it. Most people haven't played a true survival horror game in years. They're all action games now with touches of survival horror.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 11-19-12 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-19-12, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Zombi U looks like Condemned and Dark Souls had a baby. Can't wait to play this!
Old 11-19-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bet those same critics would complain if a sequel doesn't change the gameplay much.
Old 11-19-12, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know what you're referencing here. Also, I don't know why a company being proud of making survival horror would result in poor reviews.
I meant I personally wouldn't assume they put the note in simply because of some bad reviews. Most developers won't touch console horror games anymore unless they are action oriented and/or multi-player. Development costs are getting out of hand and the market for true horror games has shrunk considerably. Maybe they decided to put it in because they were proud of not just going with the rest of the mainstream market. Then again, maybe they wanted to stick it to reviewers. Who knows.

As for poor reviews, Resident Evil Remake was probably the last survivor horror title I remember reading positive reviews for. Silent Hill Downpour was the best I played this gen but it got slammed by reviewers and rightfully so. (Worst screen tearing and lag I've ever played in a game.)
Old 11-19-12, 06:08 PM
Banned by request

Well, shit. Walmart online had a bundle on sale, so I ordered an 8 GB with Assassin's Creed 3 (didn't get it yet for any of the other consoles). I'll be able to do reviews for it so it's not an entirely frivolous purchase.
Old 11-19-12, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
This is pretty much it. The gang on Weekend Confirmed discussed it. Most people haven't played a true survival horror game in years. Their all action games now with touches of survival horror.
I would argue that Resident Evil Revelations for the 3DS count as true survival horror. Other than that, though, I can't remember one recently.
Old 11-19-12, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, shit. Walmart online had a bundle on sale, so I ordered an 8 GB with Assassin's Creed 3 (didn't get it yet for any of the other consoles). I'll be able to do reviews for it so it's not an entirely frivolous purchase.
I was thinking of ordering one from WM but the titles games don't look that great. AC is probably the best one there.
Old 11-19-12, 07:07 PM
Banned by request

If I had already owned Assassin's Creed for another system I might have skipped it, but I figure the Wii U version probably won't be too gimped, right?

Right?

Guys?

Edit, apparently it isn't gimped at all, and the gamepad is used for the on-screen map and to use your inventory: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-360-versions/

Guess that was a good choice, then.

Last edited by Supermallet; 11-19-12 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-19-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I was just about to say that while I haven't seen any reviews, the impressions I've read from people online have been pretty positive. A good choice, although I do imagine that the online features may be a ghost town, at least for the time being.

I don't know what was wrong with me yesterday. I went to a TNA house show Saturday night (freakin' awesome btw, seriously) and got home late and woke up early to get the system, and I was half asleep all day, and I wasn't able to really get too into the system. A lot of that had to do with the transfers and all of the updates I had to do. But today, after I got home from work I fired it up and I was more awake and more able to just enjoy it.

I still haven't opened ZombiU, but I've pretty much decided to jump in on it now that I've seen tons of positive impressions, and lots of positive reviews as well.

I am so into NSMBU right now, I think it's an awesome SMW inspired Mario game and I love it. I'm also so into the extra features, especially the challenges. Hey Nintendo, put tons of that stuff up for download - I will BUY IT ALL!.
Old 11-19-12, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People just need to make sure they don't turn the machine off during FW updates. I just read that the machines are bricking and need to be replaced if turned off.
Old 11-19-12, 07:39 PM
Banned by request

I was reading this article: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/11/10-things/all/

It mentions that if you transfer data from your Wii, you actually have to boot into virtual Wii mode to use any of them, and it stretches all the games so you can't get them in the correct aspect ratio. Can anyone confirm this? I'm thinking I'll just move my Wii into my bedroom for the virtual console and Gamecube games I still have, not transfer the data, and either redownload the games one by one onto my Wii U, or wait to see if they offer some kind of upgrade path for when (if) they re-release said games with Gamepad compatibility.
Old 11-19-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome...

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/z...-message-16152

Old 11-19-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I had already owned Assassin's Creed for another system I might have skipped it, but I figure the Wii U version probably won't be too gimped, right?

Right?

Guys?

Edit, apparently it isn't gimped at all, and the gamepad is used for the on-screen map and to use your inventory: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-360-versions/

Guess that was a good choice, then.
Are you able to play the game with the Pro controller instead?
Old 11-19-12, 09:16 PM
Banned by request

I don't know, nor do I have a pro controller at the moment, so I cannot say.

Does the Wii U accept the Wii classic controller, or only the nunchuck?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.