Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-12, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Oops. I thought the review had just been posted since the timestamp said something like five minutes before I read it.

By this point, I think our expectations for these games is pretty spot on. There will be two, perhaps three, top tier games at launch. And that's not terribly bad. That's more than the Wii had.
Old 11-16-12, 03:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Let's hope that ZombiU is a sleeper hit, unless we all want five more years of casual mini-game collections.
Old 11-16-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No TVii or streaming video at launch:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/wii-u-...nch-with/4454/
Old 11-16-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got an email today from TRU about my preorder and they will not be getting theirs in on the 18th. Delayed.
Old 11-16-12, 04:05 PM

Now I'm nervous. My Best Buy order is still in "Payment Validated" status.
Old 11-16-12, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like someone got one early and is streaming various things here...

http://www.own3d.tv/messaffect/live/400562
Old 11-16-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

GT Live is doing their thing on the Wii U now...

http://www.gametrailers.com/live/wii-u
Old 11-16-12, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
That's still the status for everyone that picked in-store pickup. I wouldn't worry, yet.
That's basically what my store has told me the last few times I've called.
Old 11-16-12, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
GT Live is doing their thing on the Wii U now...

http://www.gametrailers.com/live/wii-u
Odd, I didn't know Sheldon from BBT worked for Game Trailers.
Old 11-16-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
Here is a list of Wii U game reviews from ONM. It is a pretty solid list of scores for a launch, and this is only some of them. The review for ZombiU is great news, and hopefully it is a predictor for other scores to come!
Launch scores are always inflated, a lot. I wouldn't put stock into any of them.
Old 11-17-12, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

I received tracking info from GS. Scheduled to arrive on Mon by 3.
Old 11-17-12, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Now I'm nervous. My Best Buy order is still in "Payment Validated" status.
Mine says it's ready for pickup now!

Old 11-17-12, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh, ZombiU got a 4.5/10 from GameSpotUK and a 7 from Edge. A total wait and see now. Ugh!

Here is the GSUK review...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3wSG2BGe3_c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have a feeling this one is going to be one of those games where the reviews are all over the map. I still have it on preorder at Game Stop, and as of right now I still plan to take it home with me. If, by chance, the reviews come in on Sunday morning and they are just awful, at the time of pickup on release day, can you transfer your payment to another item in the store?

If ZombiU ends up truly being awful, Scribblenaut's will be my backup game to pick up for sure. IGN gave it an 8.8, and I love those games anyway...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/...limited-review

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/utOOckuag-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Brent L; 11-17-12 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-17-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Mine says it's ready for pickup now!
My Best Buy order shows the same thing...but I got an email saying it would be ready for pickup on 11/18. It doesn't really matter to me since it won't be opened until Christmas day anyway, sadly.
Old 11-18-12, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I drove up to Wal-Mart after I got off work at 9. There were 5 people waiting, 2 couples and one solo person. I figured I'd get in line and see if I could possibly score one. They had 4 Deluxe system and 3 Regular ones.

My interest in the system up to yesterday was almost nonexistent. My wife is going to freak, and not in a good way, when she finds out I have it. I've never bought a family gift for Christmas before but with a 3 year old and another one on the way I want to get into the habit of getting stuff the family will enjoy together. I think this system will have more entertaining games that my will be be able to get the hang of and that we'll feel comfortable letting my son play. I was married for over 10 years before we had our first and it was HELL getting my wife to play a game with me. Now she plays Skylanders with my son. If it takes buying a new console to get all of us gaming together then I am all for it.
Old 11-18-12, 07:32 AM

Memory/Speed of WiiU

Seems..underwhelming.
Old 11-18-12, 08:40 AM

Got mine hooked up but this system update is taking forever!!! #firstworldproblems

Last edited by loneranger; 11-18-12 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-18-12, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

How big is the update? I heard something like 4 gb
Old 11-18-12, 10:01 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Well I drove up to Wal-Mart after I got off work at 9. There were 5 people waiting, 2 couples and one solo person. I figured I'd get in line and see if I could possibly score one. They had 4 Deluxe system and 3 Regular ones.

My interest in the system up to yesterday was almost nonexistent. My wife is going to freak, and not in a good way, when she finds out I have it. I've never bought a family gift for Christmas before but with a 3 year old and another one on the way I want to get into the habit of getting stuff the family will enjoy together. I think this system will have more entertaining games that my will be be able to get the hang of and that we'll feel comfortable letting my son play. I was married for over 10 years before we had our first and it was HELL getting my wife to play a game with me. Now she plays Skylanders with my son. If it takes buying a new console to get all of us gaming together then I am all for it.

You are a braver man than I. My wife would skin me alive if I just made a $300-350 impulse buy...especially if it was for a game system
Old 11-18-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wise words:

Without trying to sound too insanely ridiculous, let me remind everyone that as you read over Wii U reviews, ZombiU reviews... ANY reviews.... these types of things are total bullshit. Reviews mean absolutely nothing. Not only are sources not credible for any number of professional reasons, but they are also written by human beings.

Human beings are insanely biased. They miss the point of things easily. They play favorites. They are unskilled or sometimes see themselves as highly skilled when they are not. That goes for physical ability as well as mental. The mere act of "reviewing"... having your opinion asked, changes the opinion itself.

Do not listen too closely to what these people tell you, good or bad. They know dick about gaming, i promise you that from the bottom of my soul. The only person that matters, the only gaming experience that matters, is your own. Trust your own feelings and play games for yourself, not for any company, not for any group of like minded morons, no one but yourself.

There has never existed nor with there ever be a review that is universally true for everyones tastes. People even called the NES a piece of shit. The NES for christs sake.

Listen to your own experience. Fuck everyone else. The day we let some other person dictate the value of an experience like gaming or whatever with a number or a paragraph and actually believe what they are saying is true universally is a sad one. And that goes for everything and all games and gaming companies. Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc... everyone. Trust your own experience.
Old 11-18-12, 11:35 AM

Went into Best Buy at opening this morning (no midnight release) and was able to walk right in and pick up my in-store order. No signs, no hoopla, no lines. Really, overall there's been hardly any hype for this thing, especially given that it's the first major console launch in six years.

I think it's going to flop. Badly.
Old 11-18-12, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Reviews mean absolutely nothing.
Reviews aren't the problem...it's the way people misuse and/or misinterpret them.

I've always thought the "decide for yourself!" mentality is poorly thought-out. I mean, reviews are a tool to help readers make an informed decision. They're (usually) not saying "this game is great; if you disagree, you're wrong" or "this game is terrible, and if you like it, you have poor taste". Reviews-as-a-concept shouldn't be deified or denigrated...they're just points on a graph.

The only ways the "decide for yourself!" school works are (a) you rely completely on publisher marketing materials, which seems absurd if you're decrying the existence of reviews, (b) you play every single game that comes out, or (c) you eschew formal reviews in lieu of friends' recommendations, message board posts, etc., which are, in effect, reviews. I mean, I obviously agree that, at the end of the day, the opinion that matters the most is one's own, but reviews can be a helpful tool to turn you onto games/movies/etc. that might not have been on your radar, they can help push you one way or the other if you're on the fence, etc., etc., etc. A negative review will probably not steer me away from something I'd decided I was really interested in, but they have introduced me to plenty of stuff I wound up really loving that I wouldn't have thought about otherwise.

Just ignore the hyperbole, pay more attention to the text of the review than the arbitrary number at the top of the page, and seek out reviewers whose tastes seem to best align with yours.

It might also be worth noting that no one really says "decide for yourself!" when reviewers agree with them, though.

Originally Posted by Groucho
I think it's going to flop. Badly.
For the past few generations, I'm not sure I've ever seen consoles available on day one like this. Same story for me at Best Buy, and I'm told the Targets in my neck of the woods are really well-stocked too. No preorders necessary, no endless lines, etc.

FWIW, though....!

Old 11-18-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, the reviews for ZombiU are literally all over the map. I can't remember the last time I saw such a spread of reviews.

I got my system with ZombiU this morning - it's all set up, updated, NSMBU is being downloaded right now, and I'm ready to go. Netflix is working just fine, but the other two and TVii will be enabled at some point in November. I LOVE that they are allowing us to download things in the background while doing pretty much anything else from what I can tell.

Now to just try to play some games. I'm still trying to decide if I want to open ZombiU, but I likely will. I have a feeling that you'll either hate it or love it, depending on what you are expecting from it. I kinda wanted NSMBU to be the first game I tried, and it says I only have about 13 more minutes to go before the download is complete. I may just wait for that.
Old 11-18-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So three hours after places opened on the west coast, there is still a lot of the Regular Wii U available at stores. I just called 2 and each said they had over 10 of the regular left, no deluxe.

And the target inventory online says they have both versions in stock. Hmm. Are people wary because they got bit the the Wii last time? Or just that the marketing push wasn't effective? I mean, it looks like the Wii, sounds like the Wii...and the HD differentiator and gamepad are new, but those aren't being pushed like the name is. Perhaps they should've gone a whole new name. Even Wii 2 would at least set it apart more than Wii U in my mind.
Old 11-18-12, 12:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

to Adam. Instead of saying "all reviews are BULLSHIT!@!#", read the reviews and decide for yourself whether the game is something you'd like. Even a negative review can give you an idea, because you might enjoy the things that the reviewer disliked. A good review will give you detailed reasons for why the writer did or did not like the game, and those details should be what you focus on.

For example, you might have two reviews for New Super Mario Bros. 2 on the 3DS, one positive and one negative. The positive one enjoys the focus on collecting coins, while the negative review thinks that collecting coins isn't the point of a Mario game. Instead of throwing up your hands and saying, "I can't figure out if this game is good or bad because these are conflicting reviews," decide whether or not YOU like the idea of collecting coins as the main focus of a Mario game. If you do, get the game. If not, skip it.

So, for something like ZombiU, if the reviews are mixed, read a few reviews and figure out what it is that's making these writers disagree, and then decide whether or not that's something you'd like.

Or just buy every game and hope that it's good and that you're not wasting your money.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.