Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-14, 01:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

I think he meant why announce it so far out from the actual release of the content. However, a lot of companies offer season passes and don't even tell you what you might be getting, so I have no problem with this. I'll do the combo pack when it's closer to the release of the first DLC. I don't need the new character colors anytime soon.

Also, I wish the new characters were all unique, not reiterations of existing characters already in the game. They already do it for Smash Bros, makes sense to open it up here too. Give me Samus in MK8, damn it!
Old 08-28-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
This strategy is never questioned when they companies do it. Why just Nintendo? Many developers offer Season passes and I see this as exactly the same thing.
I don't play a lot of games that require constant DLC so I'm unaware of any precedents. It just seems odd to announce something so far out.
Old 08-28-14, 09:47 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I don't play a lot of games that require constant DLC so I'm unaware of any precedents. It just seems odd to announce something so far out.
Few game requires constant DLC (and this is far from constant). It's additional characters/tracks/vehicles etc. Plenty of games offer Season passes which may or may not alert you of what is actually coming out besides generic titles.

Nintendo has offered DLC maybe a dozen times (if even that, I can only think of a few titles). The price is incredibly fair considering what everyone else charges for DLC. Mario Kart is an evergreen seller for Nintendo and this will keep people playing for a long time.

I'd say get used to it. I imagine they will do this with Smash Brothers and other games going forward. Even Hyrule Warriors (out in Japan) just got a DLC update, but that one was free.
Old 08-28-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I don't think it's really that out of the ordinary, is it? Just off the top of my head, Destiny, a game that isn't even out yet, has already announced two DLC packs, the first of which isn't coming out until December. BioShock Infinite had a release day season pass, the final part of that pass didn't even drop until literally one day shy of the game's one year anniversary.
Old 08-28-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. I think the timespan is reasonable. And it is a lot of content for a great price. I'll buy this weekend. I am excited for info on the tracks. I will also buy DLC for Smash especially if the value is similar.
Old 08-28-14, 01:59 PM
Banned by request

I do hope Nintendo begins offering more DLC for their titles.

Last edited by Supermallet; 08-28-14 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 05:22 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Well, I ran the update and got the Mercedes Benz cars (sweet!) and went ahead and preordered the packs.

So we spent the evening testing out the cars with the different Yoshis and Shyguys.
Old 08-29-14, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think they need to kiss and make up with Amazon. When the worlds largest online retailer doesn't sell your hardware, that's a problem.
Old 08-29-14, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I think they need to kiss and make up with Amazon. When the worlds largest online retailer doesn't sell your hardware, that's a problem.
As long as they sell the software, does it matter much at this point in the console's life as long as there's a plentiful supply at other retailers?
Old 08-29-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I'll definitely be buying at least a couple, but if I buy them for looks or actual functionality will depend on what you can actually do with 'em. Nintendo really hasn't said much about that yet.
Old 08-29-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's a fair price. I eventually want them all. I'll start with Samus, Link, and Mario.
Old 08-29-14, 09:50 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I'll definitely be buying at least a couple, but if I buy them for looks or actual functionality will depend on what you can actually do with 'em. Nintendo really hasn't said much about that yet.
Some are pretty lame (Wii trainer anyone?), but at least they won't release 30 of them at once like Skylanders. The collector bug in me will be ok with a dozen....

This is also coming from the guy who bought the Pokemon Rumble figurines for the Wii U...and has all of them, including the shines (the whole set is actually pretty valuable now) and GameStop exclusives.

But yeah, I keep thinking we will get more info on what they do but so far nothing.

Originally Posted by XavierMike
That's a fair price. I eventually want them all. I'll start with Samus, Link, and Mario.
I have a feeling some will be retailer-based exclusive. And who would pre-order a figure like this? Does that make any sense?
Old 08-29-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could see retailer specific Amiibos. I wonder if the more popular characters will be harder to find? Also, I wonder how much shelf space retailers will give them given WiiU sales numbers?
Old 08-29-14, 10:00 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by XavierMike
I could see retailer specific Amiibos. I wonder if the more popular characters will be harder to find? Also, I wonder how much shelf space retailers will give them given WiiU sales numbers?
Wii U sales have picked up this year, and with Smash Brothers and such I'm sure they will give room for these figurines.

No way will Mario and Zelda be in short supply. Maybe Marth and the other lesser characters will be short-packed.
Old 08-29-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
As long as they sell the software, does it matter much at this point in the console's life as long as there's a plentiful supply at other retailers?
I think it does. I don't think they sell any Nintendo hardware right now, so why would anything change when the next replacements for the 3DS and the Wii U come out?
Old 08-29-14, 01:15 PM
Banned by request

Until I know what those figures do, I'm not getting any of them. But as long as they do something useful, I'd get Samus, Link, Peach, and maybe Star Fox to start.
Old 08-29-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Amiibos are up at Best Buy. They work with the whole Unlocked deal, coming to $10.39 a pop.
Old 08-29-14, 06:24 PM
Banned by request

Great, now tell us what the fuck they do Nintendo!
Old 08-29-14, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And a release date!
Old 08-31-14, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very tempted to buy a Wii U. Better to get one now or wait until the holidays?
Old 08-31-14, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The two bundles for September are both $300 and include 2 games. If you're more interested in Super Smash Bros. than what's being offered in these bundles, you might want to wait -- a SSB bundle has to be on the way -- but I wouldn't bank on a price drop before the end of the year. (Anything's possible, of course.)

Nintendo has refurb Wii U deluxes (with a game) for $200, so that might be worth considering too.
Old 08-31-14, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the very least I'll get Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Fox, Samus, Pikachu, and Kirby. But really, at that rate I might as well get all of them

I like the idea of leveling up the character and being able to take it and its settings to a friend's console to play, not that I know anyone who has a Wii U. I also think it will make for more evenly matched single player brawls if you can indeed compete against characters you have leveled up yourself.

I've been holding off on buying a Wii U, but Mario Kart 8 almost got me to bite the bullet. I was really holding out for Smash Bros. though and I'm hoping there will be a bundle with the Wii U, Smash Bros. and some Amiibos. That has to be in the pipeline, right?
Old 09-04-14, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Don't forget! Bayonetta-centric Nintendo Direct in an hour and a half. (3 PM Pacific; 6 PM Eastern)

I'm not going to watch so there'll be some surpriiiiises waiting for me when I have the game in my grubby, little hands in October.
Old 09-04-14, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Awww...Europe gets this, and we don't. It's not some overpriced special edition either...just something special for the first run.

Old 09-04-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Zero interest in the game but that's some sweet packaging.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.