Reload this Page >

Sleeping Dogs (Formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) -- Coming August 14th

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sleeping Dogs (Formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) -- Coming August 14th

Old 08-06-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Sleeping Dogs (Formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) -- Coming August 14th

I know, right? It's like deciding you really love a game but you wish it looked better and ran better and had a longer life cycle on an up to date console and...
Old 08-06-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I know, right? It's like deciding you really love a game but you wish it looked better and ran better and had a longer life cycle on an up to date console and...
All sarcasm aside, it's getting to be a tired concept. Some games are perfectly fine being rehashed on the next gen consoles - I suppose. I'm just not in favor of it personally. If you didn't play it the first time around I can see the appeal; but for me, my gaming time is so limited I have no ability or desire to play a retread.
Old 08-06-14, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Not really, just don't play it. It isn't like they're spending a ton of resources that could be going to other games on them. They're basically porting over the already completed PC versions in these cases.

Sleeping Dogs sold like 2m copies on all platforms combined, there's still a lot of wiggle room for them.
Old 08-06-14, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

If the extra sales of this helps them get a true sequel out then I am ok with it. I heard rumors that there is a sequel in the works although I haven't seen any concrete evidence of one.
Old 08-07-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I already mentioned this here, but I think this game was a freebie in 3 platforms that I own, and I got all of them free.

PC free with my videocard
Xbox 360 free???
PS3 free with Plus

Past generation looks good, but PC in Ultra with hi-res textures looks just amazing.

So yeah, I was expecting this.
Old 08-07-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was free on the 360 with Gold in Jan of this year. It's often on sale for < $10 with DLC on PC. People diss these re-releases but I again have no issue with them since they're quick ports from the vastly superior PC versions. I still expect Far Cry 3 on PS4/XB1.
Old 08-07-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I was wondering about FC3. I was sure they were going to release it for next gen before FC4.
Old 10-17-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

So I was thinking of getting the new PS4 version of this game, assuming it was a nice upgrade to next-gen systems, but it turns out it's just a shoddy direct port, with some slight graphical improvements, but with an even worse frame rate than it had on last-gen systems.

Oh, and it's a full $60 game...

That's some fucking balls, charging full price for a lazy, direct port of an old game!

I guess I shouldn't be shocked, what with the industry's nickel & diming tactics, but coming on the heels of Last of Us, which upgraded nicely, and was $10 cheaper, this shit is just inexcusable and more than a little shameful.
Old 10-17-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

^Thanks for saving me some money!
Old 10-17-14, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
So I was thinking of getting the new PS4 version of this game, assuming it was a nice upgrade to next-gen systems, but it turns out it's just a shoddy direct port, with some slight graphical improvements, but with an even worse frame rate than it had on last-gen systems.

That's some fucking balls, charging full price for a lazy, direct port of an old game!

I guess I shouldn't be shocked, what with the industry's nickel & diming tactics, but coming on the heels of Last of Us, which upgraded nicely, and was $10 cheaper, this shit is just inexcusable and more than a little shameful.
It's more akin to the Tomb Raider port than the Last of Us port but it still was a lazy port. It's visually a step up from the PS3/Xbox 360 version, but the framerate issues knock it back down to earth. The PC version is ideal.

<iframe src="http://www.gamespot.com/videos/embed/6421792/" width="640" height="400" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
Old 10-17-14, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101

That's interesting (and disappointing) to hear. Especially since it sounded like they were making a lot of improvements and making it closer (if not exceeding) to the performance of the PC version.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/14/69...s4-xbox-one-pc
Old 10-17-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The PC version is often used as a high fps tech test, I don't think anything would exceed that performance.

More and more it looks like this gen of game consoles is on par with the 750 Ti -- which averaged 29 fps for this game on ultra settings at 1080p.
Old 10-18-14, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The PC version is often used as a high fps tech test, I don't think anything would exceed that performance.

More and more it looks like this gen of game consoles is on par with the 750 Ti -- which averaged 29 fps for this game on ultra settings at 1080p.
That's funny, I have a 750 Ti!
Old 10-18-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheKing
That's funny, I have a 750 Ti!
I initially was comparing this gen with the 760 GTX, but the more I used a 760, I realized it was outperforming the consoles without breaking a sweat on most things. It's a really odd time that budget friendly PC cards are now comparable to the just-released consoles. It usually takes a bit longer.
Old 01-19-15, 10:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to rehash this thread but I just started playing this on the X1. It seems there is a load screen every 30 seconds. Does it get any better? Not far in the game, just disabled all the cars in the street race
Old 01-20-15, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
It's more akin to the Tomb Raider port than the Last of Us port but it still was a lazy port. It's visually a step up from the PS3/Xbox 360 version, but the framerate issues knock it back down to earth. The PC version is ideal.

<iframe src="http://www.gamespot.com/videos/embed/6421792/" width="640" height="400" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
I just realized I had this game on Steam (must've been through a Humble Bundle) and am enjoying it. I saw that the Definitive Edition is also available on Steam. Worth the upgrade or stick with what I got (that also seems to have included every DLC the game had to offer)?
Old 01-21-15, 01:55 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am about finish the ps4 version up, should have my platinum tonight.

At its core this game is still amazing, but shame on them for what they put out. This game looks ok on the ps4. There is a jump in resolution, but there is so much haze that at times it looks less than 1080p. The worst part is the frame rate is garbage. It stutters any time you are in a race or in a high speed car, something I did not notice on the 360. Compared to the recent Tomb Raider and Last of Us next gen ports, this is definitely disappointing. I am glad I did not spend more than 20 bucks for it.

I would say skip it unless you have not played it yet.