Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sleeping Dogs (Formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) -- Coming August 14th

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-12, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Sleeping Dogs (Formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) -- Coming August 14th

For whatever it's worth, I bought it with Dishonored which is also $25, and also a game I've been waiting on for a price like this.
Old 11-22-12, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
Awesome, been waiting on a deal for this one. Bought!
Same here.
Old 12-09-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

So does anyone know when the Zodiac dlc will be available? I checked the site as well and there is no info.
Old 12-29-12, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm late to the game with this one but it kicks all sorts of ass. Great mechanics, proper handling of vehicles and a great story. If you can find this for $40 (I got it for $25 on BF) don't hesitate!
Old 12-29-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I kept getting my ass handed to me and dying during the fighting WAY early in this game, and I just could not get the hang of it, so I gave up and never went back.
Old 12-30-12, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ Yeah, getting the hang of using "Y" to counter if imperative in this game. I've found some jade statues and learned new combos but regularly get the shit beat out of me by the bigger thugs or guys with knives.
Old 12-30-12, 09:34 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

try to find the statues as soon as you can....the new moves really help. Do the date missions as soon as you can, because one of them unlocks the locations of the statues. (all date missions unlock something) When you see a fight club start it. This is a great place to practice your moves. Before long you will actually find the game on the easy side.
Old 12-30-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I just started playing this yesterday and I'm trying real hard to like it but its just not clicking yet.

I'm maybe 5 hours in or so, and I'm still having a hard time getting a good grasp on the combat. I'm fighting every group I find for practice and still get my ass handed to me regularly.

I'll keep playing, maybe complete more if the main missions, but I don't know how long I'll keep playing.
Old 12-31-12, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
I just started playing this yesterday and I'm trying real hard to like it but its just not clicking yet.

I'm maybe 5 hours in or so, and I'm still having a hard time getting a good grasp on the combat. I'm fighting every group I find for practice and still get my ass handed to me regularly.

I'll keep playing, maybe complete more if the main missions, but I don't know how long I'll keep playing.
I had a tendency at first to press the buttons too quickly. I learned to slow down. Let my chi build. Become one with the universe.
Old 12-31-12, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lopper

Don't attack... Let them come to you and counter.
Old 12-31-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is pretty darn close to the combat in the recent Batman games. If you have played those, you should be able to take to it.

What DLC should I check out?
Old 12-31-12, 08:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprised to hear so many complaints about the combat. It was so similar to Batman that it became easy really quickly.
Old 12-31-12, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got this game for Christmas. I'm pretty decent at fighting, but those big fuckers that grab you really annoy the shit out of me. You cannot grapple them and if they grab you, you have to hit other buttons in a quick time event way too fast to reverse. They also take too much power with each hit.

I do like the story though. I just got the 25% achievement so I'm fairly new to the world. I need to find the health stands and the jade statues.
Old 12-31-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I need to find the health stands and the jade statues.
That's what I did early in the game. I "leveled" myself up before doing to much of the story. As someone already said, it makes the fighting a lot easier. It got to where I wasn't afraid to take on anyone.

Loved the game, almost wish I wouldn't have traded it so I could play some of the new DLC.
Old 12-31-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Surprised to hear so many complaints about the combat. It was so similar to Batman that it became easy really quickly.
I had ZERO problems with the fighting in both Batman Arkham games and MAJOR problems with the fighting in this.
Old 12-31-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Batman has a nice system, but if you don't really take the time to learn it it's still pretty easy to button mash your way thru the game.
Old 01-15-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This week, the game has DLC on sale on the Xbox. Any of it worth picking up? Any suggestions?
Old 01-17-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm thinking about picking this up on Amazon. Can anyone tell me which version is the best (PS3 or 360)?

Thanks!
Old 01-17-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can only speak to the 360 version --- it's great.
Old 01-17-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by boogieman03
This week, the game has DLC on sale on the Xbox. Any of it worth picking up? Any suggestions?
I enjoyed the game so much that when I finished it, I downloaded The Dragon Master and Nightmare in North Point, just to get a little more mileage out of it. I wasn't disappointed with them, but would hesitate to recommend them unless you really love that game and just want some more stuff to do in it.
Old 01-17-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ I'm obsessed with finding all the shrines and melee upgrades right now. Tiffany broke up with me so the lockboxes no longer show up on my radar... and that sucks.
Old 02-12-13, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I just beat this game, and I really enjoyed it. I usually try to attack these games the same way. I found all the shrines very early on, and I was looking for jade statues as soon as I unlocked that thing as well. It does suck that some jade statues just aren't accessible until certain missions. It makes doing all the other missions so much easier as you are a badass very early on.

I do have one question and maybe some of you can answer. I went on a date with Not Ping. This caused me to break up with the hostess chick I think. Now, was that mandatory? Also, at one point I woke up from sleep and it said I had a missed voicemail from Not Ping. I was never able to access it or anything. It seems you have a date or two with these girls, and that's it?

I'm not looking for a dating simulator, but that part of the game just seemed very unfinished to me. The dates actually had some fun missions for what was there.

I don't think I bought any cars during the game. It disappointed me that I couldn't steal cars to add to my collection like the Saint's Row games. I think I earned a little over a million bucks at the end of the game. Some cars cost around 600k. Are you supposed to sit there and gamble and hijack trucks all day just to buy these things? The gambling was very plain to me so I didn't bother, and I didn't care that if I owned those cars or not since I'm not a fan of racing events as some here have also said.
Old 02-12-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The girls you date open up the health shrine and jade statue locator on your map. As for the cars, once you get to face level 10 all clothes and cars you buy are 40% off. There is a contact named Tran in your phone that tells you what cars he wants you to steal. Some of these cars are worth 500k or more once you steal them. So doing these car thefts for him along with the discount you should easily be able to afford all the cars in the game.
Old 02-12-13, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You definitely don't need to buy cars -- I didn't either. I think you get an achievement if you buy them all though.
Old 02-12-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Buying certain cars also unlocks more races so that is another trophy/achievement tied to that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.