Reload this Page >

Sleeping Dogs (Formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) -- Coming August 14th

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sleeping Dogs (Formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) -- Coming August 14th

Old 08-14-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Sleeping Dogs (Formerly True Crime: Hong Kong) -- Coming August 14th

I am enjoying the game as well and I agree with what you said except for the combat part. I find it is very much like Batman, although I only played the first one. It can be a bit frustrating too, it took me 10+ tries to beat the back to back groups of warehouse thugs. The first group is easy but the ones in the second group with the weapons kept fucking me up until I eventually got one of the weapons from them to use myself.
The brutality of the combat when you use the environmental objects is pretty damn cool.
Old 08-15-12, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
so far I am enjoying myself but some small problems I have seen so far..

Chases are just like LA Noire, in that they want you to be on the edge of your seat ...just outside catching the person till the last second, when in fact the chases are scripted, and you will never catch them until you actually get to the part the game wants you to get to. This has the opposite effect on me, and takes away any tension I might have trying to catch the person/objective.

Your character feels a bit loose...you move around in the world sort of floating a bit, with jerky changes in directions. It is not real bad, but you just don't feel grounded.

Combat is ok, but it is so much less than Batman it is not even funny. I only compare it to Batman, because all the previews seemed to point to it. Too many QTE built into the combat for my taste. It actually can get a little frustrating.

You gain xp multiple ways, but one is not doing damage. The problem is in a chase, you have to damage the other car to stop it...which lowers your police xp....3 solid hits of other items in the game removes all your xp for that mission. That is bullshit. I am sure they balance it out with missions that you will not do damage, but I don't like seeing my xp gone in seconds just by playing the game the way it was suppose to be played...
Yeah but when you crash into stuff, don't you gain Triad points or whatever? As far as I know you can't get both right?
Old 08-15-12, 07:55 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Yeah but when you crash into stuff, don't you gain Triad points or whatever? As far as I know you can't get both right?
you can get both...it is just going to be impossible on any mission you have to chase someone on the streets...I think it will balance out in the end...

and the combat is like Batman, I was just saying it was not as good....it is fun, and I have not unlocked many moves yet so I am sure it will get better...
Old 08-15-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so far I am enjoying myself but some small problems I have seen so far..
Agreed with some of the points here, and the general sentiment that this game is really hit or miss. This game has really highlighted for me the extent to which Rockstar has really raised the bar for open world games with GTA 4 and RDR.

I think the combat is the strongest part of the game. I haven't played Batman, so I can't compare, but I think it is just awesome in this game. I love the brutality of the combat and it is pretty fluid. Also challenging.

Guns play less of a role it seems like, but I did beat up a cop and take his weapon to get in a small shootout. It seems pretty polished and fun, but cops descend on you pretty quick and you will die almost immediately. TBD.

I enjoy the voice acting, which I think is pretty outstanding for the most part, especially during the cutscenes. And I love the Winston character. He reminds me of Tuco from Breaking Bad. This is one of the few games where the voices and visuals in the cutscenes are good enough for me not to just skip past them.

The driving is terrible, unfortunately. Although I know some people here will like it since it is very arcadey like a Saints Row game - prolly even more so. It's got nothing on GTA 4, which I think has the best car physics of any non-racing game I've played. All the cars are fast, have illogical acceleration and breaking, turn on a dime, never lose control, etc. And the directional swipe thing is terribly executed. You're car just hovers around the street. It's odd.

The graphics aren't bad (although I am on max settings on PC with high res texture pack, on lower settings, and maybe on consoles, it probably isn't great) but they feel very dated and inconsistent. It's obvious this was a 'True Crime' game first that was only improved after it was picked up by another dev. A lot of the older assets look terrible, and some of the obviously newer ones look quite good. A strange mix. In the light of day time is is very noticeable, but at night less so since all the fancy lighting and shadow effects make up for it.

I also have problems with the realism and immersion of the game world. It feels a little sparse walking down the streets (and I have world density on MAX!!!). This is Hong Kong, but it doesn't feel very busy. And a lot of the streets just run together with little visual interest, which other areas are super detailed and well designed (like the street market at the beginning). The NPCs all feel fake as well, compared to GTA 4. They just walk around aimlessly, and if you start beating people up no one even reacts. Kind of weird.

Overall, I think it is an okay game, but definitely lacks some polish. I think this is going to be a game where I enjoy playing through the main story, but it will FAIL as a sandbox game because the world just isn't detailed or interesting or real enough. But we'll see, I've only played for 3 hours at this point.
Old 08-15-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I guess the bigger question is, is this a step in the right direction for True Crime?
Old 08-15-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Agreed with some of the points here, and the general sentiment that this game is really hit or miss. This game has really highlighted for me the extent to which Rockstar has really raised the bar for open world games with GTA 4 and RDR.

I think the combat is the strongest part of the game. I haven't played Batman, so I can't compare, but I think it is just awesome in this game. I love the brutality of the combat and it is pretty fluid. Also challenging.

Guns play less of a role it seems like, but I did beat up a cop and take his weapon to get in a small shootout. It seems pretty polished and fun, but cops descend on you pretty quick and you will die almost immediately. TBD.

I enjoy the voice acting, which I think is pretty outstanding for the most part, especially during the cutscenes. And I love the Winston character. He reminds me of Tuco from Breaking Bad. This is one of the few games where the voices and visuals in the cutscenes are good enough for me not to just skip past them.

The driving is terrible, unfortunately. Although I know some people here will like it since it is very arcadey like a Saints Row game - prolly even more so. It's got nothing on GTA 4, which I think has the best car physics of any non-racing game I've played. All the cars are fast, have illogical acceleration and breaking, turn on a dime, never lose control, etc. And the directional swipe thing is terribly executed. You're car just hovers around the street. It's odd.

The graphics aren't bad (although I am on max settings on PC with high res texture pack, on lower settings, and maybe on consoles, it probably isn't great) but they feel very dated and inconsistent. It's obvious this was a 'True Crime' game first that was only improved after it was picked up by another dev. A lot of the older assets look terrible, and some of the obviously newer ones look quite good. A strange mix. In the light of day time is is very noticeable, but at night less so since all the fancy lighting and shadow effects make up for it.

I also have problems with the realism and immersion of the game world. It feels a little sparse walking down the streets (and I have world density on MAX!!!). This is Hong Kong, but it doesn't feel very busy. And a lot of the streets just run together with little visual interest, which other areas are super detailed and well designed (like the street market at the beginning). The NPCs all feel fake as well, compared to GTA 4. They just walk around aimlessly, and if you start beating people up no one even reacts. Kind of weird.

Overall, I think it is an okay game, but definitely lacks some polish. I think this is going to be a game where I enjoy playing through the main story, but it will FAIL as a sandbox game because the world just isn't detailed or interesting or real enough. But we'll see, I've only played for 3 hours at this point.
I like the driving, but I agree, GTA IV driving was the best. A lot of Saints Row fans would disagree.

Didn't the guy(s) that worked on Batman work somewhat on this game, hence the similiar fighting?

Good point on Winston, I can definitely see Tuco in him. "Tight, tight!"

Originally Posted by RichC2
I guess the bigger question is, is this a step in the right direction for True Crime?
It's a step in the right direction for a sequel, but this game has nothing to do with True Crime. Square Enix bought the rights, not the IP, and the game wasn't even called True Crime when Activision bought it.

So I heard at least.
Old 08-15-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I keep forgetting to get into cars on the right hand side and driving in the left hand lane takes some getting used to as well. I jacked a Lambo earlier and that thing was rediculous. You can get around town pret-ty quick in those bad boys.
The two yentas who hang out outside your apartment are worth stopping to listen to.
One bad thing about the game is the vehicle cameras. They are fine unless you try to look around. I don't know for the life of me why they just didn't make it where you can pan around 360 degrees. It only lets you pan all the way around when you stop.
Old 08-15-12, 10:53 PM
gamer for life

game is really growing on me...After you unlock a few moves combat becomes a lot more fun. You really start feeling like a stud when you go 6 rounds in the fight club, with the final round against 10 plus enemies and you don't even take a hit. The leg breaker move is amazing, and seems to give you the most points during missions. The only real problem I am having right now is the camera. It just swings around to easily, and tries to center itself when I am trying to look around.
Old 08-15-12, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm only a few hours in but am really enjoying it. The fighting isn't just brainless button mashing it actually takes some patience. The leveling system seems to be pretty cool and the story is keeping me interested.
One thing I find odd though, is there is no real manual and I didn't see one from the menus so sometimes I don't know what things showing up in the hud are or things in the environment really are. I know I missed a couple health shrines early on.
Old 08-16-12, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I put the story on the backburner for now and am just exploring the city to try and find all the health shrines I can to make it a little easier.
Old 08-16-12, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Getting pretty frustrated with the game. EVERY group of thugs I encounter beats the shit out of me. I just can't get the fighting down. I am going to end up going broke from all the hospital visits.
Old 08-16-12, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Getting pretty frustrated with the game. EVERY group of thugs I encounter beats the shit out of me. I just can't get the fighting down. I am going to end up going broke from all the hospital visits.
Learn to time the counter and you will whip some ass. I killed/defeated 32 monks in the "Showdown" mission or whatever before they were able to defeat me. Now, I didn't always have that success but I found myself winning more often than losing by learning to counter their attacks.
Old 08-17-12, 12:46 AM
gamer for life

it is harder to identify the different kind of enemies, but once you do it will make sense. Try to find the martial arts club and practice on them. I got so bored with that monk fight, I walked away after at least 50 kills...(does it ever end?) move move move...counter....guys who keep their hands up, do heavy attacks against them...

really go back into the martial arts club, and there is one of each type of enemy in there to practice on...
Old 08-17-12, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I was getting my ass handed to me as well, til I got more health upgrades and learned more moves.

It really helps.
Old 08-17-12, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the advice guys, I will do that. Other than my frustration from getting my ass kicked all over the place and the driving camera issues, I love this game.
It's a blast driving around and pressing the A button when you pass next to a pedestrian.

Last edited by Maxflier; 08-17-12 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-18-12, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wiped out on my motorcycle earlier and some of the people nearby whipped out there cell phones and started videotaping. I thought that was pretty awesome.
Old 08-18-12, 08:43 AM
gamer for life

I was on a flying kick rampage last night...up to 19 flying kick KOs on random people and I noticed everyone around me was on their phones, and the cops just suddenly came at me in 3 directions...kind of a cool little touch...
Old 08-18-12, 06:19 PM
gamer for life

the game has moved into A quality for me...13 hours in and I can not get enough of it...
Old 08-18-12, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

the game has moved into A quality for me...13 hours in and I can not get enough of it...
Me too. I'm around the same hours in and find it hard to shut off. Dare I say I like it better than the king of open worlds...GTA?
Old 08-18-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I am liking the game a lot, too. Way better than the disappointing Saints Row The Third.
Old 08-19-12, 12:12 AM
gamer for life

Yeah, I am liking the game a lot, too. Way better than the disappointing Saints Row The Third.
I had fun with Saints Row the Third, but that was because I did it coop with a good friend...they just went too far with the goof factor, and it lost some of the edge the first two games had.

This game is just brilliant....the story has been done many times before, but the execution is fantastic. I first told myself that the game was fun, but lacked the quality of GTA4...I have since changed my mind...the story and acting, especially in the second half of the game, is every bit as good as something Rockstar puts out...
Old 08-19-12, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm finding out that you pretty much have to counter and get 4 hits in. You can't just run in and start attacking as 99% of the time they just block.
Old 08-19-12, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I had fun with Saints Row the Third, but that was because I did it coop with a good friend...they just went too far with the goof factor, and it lost some of the edge the first two games had.

This game is just brilliant....the story has been done many times before, but the execution is fantastic. I first told myself that the game was fun, but lacked the quality of GTA4...I have since changed my mind...the story and acting, especially in the second half of the game, is every bit as good as something Rockstar puts out...
I agree, SRTT was way too goofy. Oh and the story is great in Sleeping Dogs. I just got
Spoiler:
made a Red Pole
and things are getting crazy.

Did anyone not foresee the fact that
Spoiler:
there was a wedding mission and know that it'd be a bloodbath

Originally Posted by glassdragon
I'm finding out that you pretty much have to counter and get 4 hits in. You can't just run in and start attacking as 99% of the time they just block.
Yeah blocking is key. I found that it's the only way to beat the big guys sometimes.

A random but cool thing happened earlier. I stole a cab and drove awhile and then parked by the curb while I was deciding where to go. Out of the blue, a random guy hops in the cab, and Wei says to him "Do I look like a fucking cab driver?" The dude goes "Oh shit!" and takes off running

One thing I hate is sometimes the GPS system in the game can take you the wrong way. There's a certain favor mission I am stuck on
Spoiler:
Cheaters Never Prosper Part 3 I think
and it keeps taking me to a dead end. Really pissing me off.

Oh and timed missions suck.
Old 08-19-12, 10:41 AM
gamer for life

Did anyone not foresee the fact that
Spoiler:
there was a wedding mission and know that it'd be a bloodbath

Yeah
Spoiler:
Even though I saw it coming, it still hit hard seeing her dead in his arms and he is begging you to take her out of there....good shit

You don't have to only counter....you get a lot of moves...it is all about attacking different kind of enemies differently..I got into the trap early of just standing there and countering, but once I opened up a bit, I now only counter if I am being attacked from behind...I feel like a Bruce and Chuck baby...
Old 08-19-12, 12:36 PM
gamer for life

Cheaters Never Prosper Part 3...just did that and yes it took me to a dead end, but I did not give up...my son was watching me, and he kept saying I was not going to make it...and finally I got tot he point with 1 second left.....

I just got the achievement for 50% of everything done..took me 15 hours 29 minutes to get to this point. I am trying to do a bit of everything...the only thing I am skipping is the races since I really don't like racing..how do you know which races you have finished?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.