Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-15, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Kvbnc-7Y0fE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This video does a great job of encapsulating why I'm hearing more and more people say that Asylum was the best game in this trilogy.

I don't agree with all of his points fully, because narrative dissonance doesn't bother me much (I know it's gamey that I can take all the time in the world to rescue someone, and I don't care), but I do think that smaller and tighter experiences are where it's at for me. I just don't respond that well to most open world games for their open worldness, but usually in spite of it.

The one big exception to this is Crackdown. I love that first game, because it is totally devoid of a story, and really is just about playing in that sandbox of murder.

Thinking about this a bit more, it's a shame that remix culture is so tough when it comes to video games, because I think a person could take the elements of this game as they are, but just rearrange them and take others out, to make something awesomer than what is already pretty good (at least by my tastes).

Last edited by boredsilly; 07-09-15 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-11-15, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 309 Posts

I edited mine too.
Old 07-11-15, 06:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I edited mine too.
Thanks?
Old 07-11-15, 07:17 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Batman=Bruce Wayne...
Old 07-11-15, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

^You FUCK!
Old 07-11-15, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Batman=Bruce Wayne...
Thank you for spoiling the whole game!
Old 07-12-15, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, I wasn't the one that spoiled things.

Anyway, this game is growing tiresome. I hope I'm almost done. It's just too frustrating and not as fun as the previous ones. I can't wait to get rid of it.
Old 07-12-15, 12:17 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,203 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I already made my point about this game.....but I decided to clean up a few side missions and get everything done outside the Riddle stuff...so when I finally finished I was happy to find one more boss fight with
Spoiler:
Deathstroke
...only it turns out is just another version of the
Spoiler:
Cloudburst
fight..I mean the exact same thing. I turned the game off without even trying and took the game out...
So... No. I mean, the setup was the same...
Spoiler:
a bunch of those harder tanks and one boss tank, but there were less tanks altogether, and the Deathstroke's tank was was easier than the original fight. In this one, you didn't have to aim for the small points on the tank... You just had to shoot at any area of the tank until enough damage was caused to destroy it.

It just wasn't as hard as that original fight. Not even close.
Old 07-12-15, 12:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 946 Likes on 792 Posts

the more i think about it, the more i love Asylum. i think i wrote here i had given it up for a time and then picked it back up and loved the hell out of it, even getting all the riddler trophies. have City, but never got into it, this is more of the same and my enthusiasm is dwindling...
Old 07-12-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Riddler trophies have always been the worst thing about the series. That and Riddler's annoying echoing voice.

"Good luck, detective. Luck, luck, luck, detective."
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (04-10-24)
Old 07-12-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,903 Likes on 1,251 Posts

The Riddler also has an annoying tendency to tell me that there are still riddles remaining in ___________ (the movie studio, Bleake Island, etc.) when I'd already cleared all of 'em out.
Old 07-13-15, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
So... No. I mean, the setup was the same...
Spoiler:
a bunch of those harder tanks and one boss tank, but there were less tanks altogether, and the Deathstroke's tank was was easier than the original fight. In this one, you didn't have to aim for the small points on the tank... You just had to shoot at any area of the tank until enough damage was caused to destroy it.

It just wasn't as hard as that original fight. Not even close.
I think his point is that it's
Spoiler:
yet another tank battle. Given that the Deathstroke fight was the best boss battle in Batman: Arkham Origins (a game that Rocksteady had a bigger hand in developing than fans care to accept), you'd think they'd try to top that instead of offering an easier version of the Cloudburst tank fight.
Old 07-13-15, 09:23 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I think his point is that it's
Spoiler:
yet another tank battle. Given that the Deathstroke fight was the best boss battle in Batman: Arkham Origins (a game that Rocksteady had a bigger hand in developing than fans care to accept), you'd think they'd try to top that instead of offering an easier version of the Cloudburst tank fight.
yeah that was my point...I did not even finish this fight because it was just more of the same, so I did not know it was actually easier...the truth is I did not find the
Spoiler:
cloudburst
fight hard anyway, just stupid slow....
Old 07-13-15, 09:30 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I understand the complaint. It's totally fair. I just meant that it's hardly "exactly" the same, since it's significantly easier than the first go around.

So, I'm super close to finishing off all the Riddler stuff, and I have another question:
Should I activate my DLC now (Scarecrow missions, Harley missions), or should I do it after I 100% the game and get the "real" ending? Are the DLC missions playable in the main open world, or are they essentially "standalone" in that they can only be played via the main menu or something?

Another random thing about the Riddler stuff, though:
Spoiler:
Once I became aware that you could interrogate the "informants" to get the trophies/breakables/etc. added to the map, I starting doing that instead of following a guide, as it felt much faster. My only thing is... on Founder's Island, I have about 9 trophies and at least 1 breakable left, but they're not visible on the map. I've interrogated a ton of informants, and the game just tells me that things were added to other parts of the main map (other islands, the blimps, etc.). Seems like, no matter how many informants I get to, nothing for Founder's Island is coming up on the map anymore. Anyone else have this issue? I'm thinking that maybe the points will show on the map as I clear out all the others in other sections (which I've been doing), but it seems odd.
Old 07-13-15, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Wrapped this up last night and am glad to be done in time to trade it Best Buy for ~$40 today. It's not accurate to say the game is horrible. It's actually fun in a lot of spots and I enjoyed a lot of it. But it's far, far below Asylum and City for me and more on par with Origins, which makes it a big disappointment. I did 100% for the 'true' ending, but have no interest in dicking around to try to platinum it.

Originally Posted by Dan
Yeah, I understand the complaint. It's totally fair. I just meant that it's hardly "exactly" the same, since it's significantly easier than the first go around.

So, I'm super close to finishing off all the Riddler stuff, and I have another question:
Should I activate my DLC now (Scarecrow missions, Harley missions), or should I do it after I 100% the game and get the "real" ending? Are the DLC missions playable in the main open world, or are they essentially "standalone" in that they can only be played via the main menu or something?

Another random thing about the Riddler stuff, though:
Spoiler:
Once I became aware that you could interrogate the "informants" to get the trophies/breakables/etc. added to the map, I starting doing that instead of following a guide, as it felt much faster. My only thing is... on Founder's Island, I have about 9 trophies and at least 1 breakable left, but they're not visible on the map. I've interrogated a ton of informants, and the game just tells me that things were added to other parts of the main map (other islands, the blimps, etc.). Seems like, no matter how many informants I get to, nothing for Founder's Island is coming up on the map anymore. Anyone else have this issue? I'm thinking that maybe the points will show on the map as I clear out all the others in other sections (which I've been doing), but it seems odd.
The DLC timing doesn't really matter. The ones that are just challenges do show up on the map, but are also accessible via the main menu. The Harley bit is only accessible via main menu.

In answer to your spoiled question, some of the Riddler puzzles/trophies/etc only appear once you've hit certain points in the story, so depending on where you're at, that may be the issue.
Old 07-13-15, 10:04 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks. I've completed everything in the main story (up to the first ending), and ALL the side quests except for the last 25% of the Riddler puzzles/trophies/etc.
The only thing I've noticed is...
Spoiler:
In videos I've watched, the players have an extra weapon in the weapon wheel that I don't have. Looks like a freeze gun or something?
Old 07-13-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Dan: you'll need to get "that other thing" to complete the Riddler trophy hunt. It was one of the last things I acquired in the game, and I bet it would've made some of the trickier battles much, much easier to manage. (In a way, I'm glad I didn't get it earlier because I would've abused the hell out of it.)

How to get it:

Spoiler:
Go to Panessa Studios, and look to the left of the first containment cell. There'll be what looks like a circuit board on top of a stand:

That's the Freeze Bomb! I forget the exact name of it, but basically, it's a little grenade-y thing that freezes whatever it touches.
Old 07-13-15, 10:20 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Goddamn.
Thanks Adam. That's the first thing I'll grab when I play the game tonight.
Old 07-13-15, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up picking up this game for my wife as the Arkham games are the one gaming addiction she has. She's gotten through the first ending and is probably going to finish it otherwise in the next few days. I'm thinking about trading it in while the value is still up there and then pick up the GOTY in a year or two to get all the DLC for cheaper.

Will her game save carry over to the GOTY edition or will she have to start from scratch? I'll be starting from scratch no matter what as I just finished City and won't have the time to dig into Knight for a good long while anyway.
Old 07-14-15, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just tried the last Riddler race

I got 2 of the 3 laps done. It wasn't until time expired for the 1,463th time and I had to go all the way back to the start that I gave up. Sorry Catwoman.

As Deftones would say, fuck that noise.
Old 07-14-15, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I'm not really a DLC skin guy, but this Batman '89 skin is too good to pass up:

Old 07-14-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

okay that's cool
Old 07-14-15, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

That's awesome, especially with the 89 Batmobile.
Old 07-14-15, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh, shit.
Old 07-14-15, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

What's great for people who have a problem with Batman using guns on the Batmobile, they can choose Burton's versions since Batman has no problem killing. I might finally break down and get a PS4 for this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.