Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Quantic Dream's BEYOND: TWO SOULS (starring Ellen Page)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Quantic Dream's BEYOND: TWO SOULS (starring Ellen Page)

Old 10-10-13, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: Quantic Dream's BEYOND: TWO SOULS (starring Ellen Page)

Originally Posted by wmansir
Re: Aiden:

Spoiler:

However, I have to say that up until the sequence at the underwater base where Aiden is separated from Jodie I thought there was a good chance that "Aiden" didn't really exist and was a manifestation of Jodie's powers through her subconscious. I think it would have been nice to keep that a possibility.
Spoiler:
The throwaway moment during the dinner date chapter where Jodie actively controlled Aiden (when he locked her out of her appartment0 certainly had me thinking he was in fact a part of Jodie's subconscious.

I would have preferred that as the whole stillborn twin thing felt sort of tacked on. Not a terrible explanation but on the meh side.
Old 10-12-13, 07:28 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished the game and I loved it!!
Old 10-12-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm currently replaying the game to see all the different options I may or may not have missed. Having Jodie
Spoiler:
eat pizza from the garbage
during the Homeless chapter was just brutal.
Old 10-12-13, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

How long a game is it?
Old 10-12-13, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
How long a game is it?
I never timed myself but some people claim it's 11 hours long. Felt longer to me but I was constantly trying to see how far I could explore. Also, you need to explore with Aiden to unlock all the bonus features in the game. So that could extend gameplay a bit more for you, if you are so inclined.
Old 10-12-13, 09:55 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I'm currently replaying the game to see all the different options I may or may not have missed. Having Jodie
Spoiler:
eat pizza from the garbage
during the Homeless chapter was just brutal.
I'm halfway through that section in the game.

Spoiler:
The two prompts to kill herself were really emotional, in the context of the game. I choose both times to not do it, but I wonder what would have happened. I assume that she'd not go through with it or the other homeless guy that saved her from freezing would have stepped in to save her again.
Old 10-13-13, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
I'm halfway through that section in the game.

Spoiler:
The two prompts to kill herself were really emotional, in the context of the game. I choose both times to not do it, but I wonder what would have happened. I assume that she'd not go through with it or the other homeless guy that saved her from freezing would have stepped in to save her again.
I chose to go through with both.
Spoiler:
Aiden pulls the knife away from you as you begin to cut your wrists. Aiden also stops you from throwing yourself off the ledge which, after some groveling for death from Jodie, leads into Stan showing you how they get money for food.

I also found out that if you take too long, it grows dark and you can no longer do the guitar playing sequence. So Stan can only buy tuna and no chocolate for the group.

From looking at the trailer, there's another optional
Spoiler:
suicide attempt in the Somalia chapter
but I have no idea how to trigger it.
Old 10-13-13, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

I chose to go through with both.
Spoiler:

I also found out that if you take too long, it grows dark and you can no longer do the guitar playing sequence. So Stan can only buy tuna and no chocolate for the group.

Spoiler:
Did you run into the guy that offers you $10 for a "favor"?
Old 10-13-13, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wrapped it up earlier today. Loved it. The director definitely lacked the ability to edit himself but overall I thought it was an excellent "experience".
Old 10-13-13, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rented and completed this over the weekend.

Awesome game - story, art, graphics, etc.
Old 10-13-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is basically the opposite of every review I've read and the opinions I've heard on gaming podcasts. Terribly written and laughably overblown were descriptions I heard from more than one source. I'm curious why opinions are so varied. It almost makes me want to try out the game.
Old 10-13-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only issue I had with the game, is the controlling of the character in certain areas, which I believe is common for what it is.
Old 10-13-13, 09:46 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
This thread is basically the opposite of every review I've read and the opinions I've heard on gaming podcasts. Terribly written and laughably overblown were descriptions I heard from more than one source. I'm curious why opinions are so varied. It almost makes me want to try out the game.
With Alpha Protocol and the most recent surprise in The Bureau Xcom...I find it more and more I am out of touch with game reviews...
Old 10-13-13, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It has a 73 avg at Metacritic, and most of the burbs from the mediocre and low scores are about the story, which is the most subjective part of the experience and the core of the game. Personally I think 7 or 8 out of 10 is about right. Page's performance, and the technology to fully capture and present it, elevated an otherwise mediocre "script", IMO.
Old 10-14-13, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Outside of the fact that I got probably the worst possible ending in Heavy Rain that you could imagine, I loved that game. Why do some dislike the story in it? My only problem, story wise, was who ended up being the killer didn't ultimately make much sense at all. I won't say anything more.

Looking forward to getting Beyond. Just got Tomb Raider though, so I'll probably wait a little bit.

I loved Heavy Rain because it made me, probably for the first time ever, truly care for the characters I played with in a video game. I think if they could find a way to implement La Noire-like facial technology with these David Cage games, it would truly be an amazing experience.
Old 10-14-13, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Music
Spoiler:
Did you run into the guy that offers you $10 for a "favor"?
Yes, I did. That's the only time I played like a game because
Spoiler:
I had already seen what happens when Jodie immediately refuses. Though such a response felt more in character to me, I chose to have her agree just to see how the sequence would pay off. I expected Jodie to kick his ass. Instead Aiden did the deed.

But, yeah, that was pretty harsh but I didn't feel she'd go that far.

I also begged in no avail at the diner and refused the money Aiden steals for Jodie (from the ATM and the newspaper dispensers).
Old 10-14-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
I think if they could find a way to implement La Noire-like facial technology with these David Cage games, it would truly be an amazing experience.
I think Beyond Two Souls blows L.A. Noire away when it comes to facial technology. It's a far better looking game than Heavy Rain was.
Old 10-14-13, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the story is the main driver in the "mediocre" reviews. As a subjective thing that probably is a primary driver behind the wide divide in opinions. I'd personally give the game a 8.5/10. Is it worth the full retail I paid? Probably not. But its worth experiencing as a rental or a budget buy.
Old 10-14-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
I think Beyond Two Souls blows L.A. Noire away when it comes to facial technology. It's a far better looking game than Heavy Rain was.
Yeah, I agree. The full body and facial mocap in this game is key to why it looked so good. Doing it separate as in L.A. Noir made it look odd.
Old 10-14-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My only problem, story wise, was who ended up being the killer didn't ultimately make much sense at all. I won't say anything more.
That wasn't the only problem. There was also the fact that there was a supernatural element in the story that David Cage decided he wanted to do without.
Spoiler:
The psychic link between Ethan Mars and the Origami Killer.
But instead of properly writing it out (by simply rewriting certain key scenes), he pretty much left it unexplained (and ultimately ignored) and when people called him on it, he had the nerve to claim the it was a McGuffin. At best, it's a red herring. At worst, it's a dangling thread. It is not a McGuffin.
Old 10-14-13, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That wasn't the only problem. There was also the fact that there was a supernatural element in the story that David Cage decided he wanted to do without.
Spoiler:
The psychic link between Ethan Mars and the Origami Killer.
But instead of properly writing it out (by simply rewriting certain key scenes), he pretty much left it unexplained (and ultimately ignored) and when people called him on it, he had the nerve to claim the it was a McGuffin. At best, it's a red herring. At worst, it's a dangling thread. It is not a McGuffin.
I honestly don't remember this, but it's been a while since I played the game. Was this something revealed at the end?
Old 10-14-13, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I honestly don't remember this, but it's been a while since I played the game. Was this something revealed at the end?
It's a plot thread brought out several times throughout Heavy Rain.
Spoiler:
Ethan Mars has blackouts and then awakens with a specific origami (the dog) favored by the killer in his hand. He also has recurring dreams of drowning bodies that always coincide with the abduction of a child by the Origami Killer (this is mentioned by his wife and his psychiatrist). Just prior to his bizarre dream sequence, Ethan Mars has an asthma attack in the train station where he later gets the shoebox. Later in another train station (while fleeing from the police with Madison moments after the Lizard trial), Ethan suffers another asthma attack. These event occur because on the day of Jason's death (and Ethan's coma), Ethan and the Origami Killer develop a psychic link.

There were supposed to be other scenes and sequences to elaborate on this but David Cage decided he didn't want a supernatural element in Heavy Rain and chose to drop the other intended scenes/sequences. However, all the aforementioned scenes are still present in the game and remain unexplained. It's a pretty big plot hole and was bizarre how that angle is completely ignored by the game's end.
Old 10-15-13, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

Yeah, those plot weaknesses (and really, they're far beyond weaknesses) in Heavy Rain really turned me off to the game, despite liking a lot of what it was going for. David Cage's reaction to getting called out on them and general projected self-importance have kept me from biting on Beyond: Two Souls yet. If Heavy Rain was a film, its plot would have been torn apart and laughed out of the room, along the lines of something like Alex Cross. That fact that so many give it a pass because it's a game, despite the fact that it's clearly intended to be more of a film than a game, still irks me. Especially when true games with solid gameplay (Bioshock, The Last of Us, Mass Effect, etc.) have featured far better, less amateurish storytelling than Heavy Rain.
Old 10-15-13, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Everyone here, the ones posting, are big fans of Heavy Rain, with flaws and all. So they went at the game trying to get more of the same, but perfected, and it seems they got that.

So yeah, if you like HR, you may really like this game too.
Old 10-15-13, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3
Everyone here, the ones posting, are big fans of Heavy Rain, with flaws and all. So they went at the game trying to get more of the same, but perfected, and it seems they got that.

So yeah, if you like HR, you may really like this game too.
This is also true.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.