Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Quantic Dream's BEYOND: TWO SOULS (starring Ellen Page)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Quantic Dream's BEYOND: TWO SOULS (starring Ellen Page)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Re: Quantic Dream's BEYOND: TWO SOULS (starring Ellen Page)

It's at the top of my Gamefly queue. Hope I get it shipped later today. Will have to wait and see...
Old 10-08-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I'm a bit surprised how poor the reviews are. Whatever, I still can't wait to pick it up later today.
Old 10-08-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I wish my copy were here but UPS is scheduled to deliver it tomorrow "By End of Day".
Old 10-08-13, 11:30 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks like a trip to the bargain bin for me!
Old 10-08-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Still looking forward to it, I love "interactive movies" and even chose to play LA Noire in a similar fashion, I let my partner always drive so I could listen/watch the stories happen/be told. And yeah, Heavy Rain was shit on - but I still put that up at the top of my gaming experiences this generation.
Old 10-08-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

5/10 from destructoid. Jim Sterling ripped the game to pieces in his review. The one positive he said was the story is better and dialogue more realistic than HR.
Old 10-08-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Still looking forward to it, I love "interactive movies" and even chose to play LA Noire in a similar fashion, I let my partner always drive so I could listen/watch the stories happen/be told. And yeah, Heavy Rain was shit on - but I still put that up at the top of my gaming experiences this generation.
I did the same in LA Noir.
Old 10-08-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jim Sterling is a douche.
Old 10-08-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
My Special Edition just shipped from GameStop.
Just picked up my SE copy from GS, will be playing tonight
Old 10-08-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ocelot
Just picked up my SE copy from GS, will be playing tonight

Enjoy.
Old 10-08-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Jim Sterling is a terrible reviewer. He basically excessively bashes everything to get more readership. It's high-school level journalism at its best.
Old 10-08-13, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

This game has a 74.58% average on Gamerankings with 32 reviews. Highest score is a 100% (5 out of 5), lowest is a 4 out of 10.

Gamespot gave it a 9.0 out of 10.
IGN gave it a 6.0 out of 10.

For comparisons sake, Heavy Rain has a 89.23% average with 81 reviews, Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit is around 85%.

It's a rarity to have reviews this all over the place for a videogame.
Old 10-08-13, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm almost positive I'll love this game then, since Heavy Rain stuck out as a highlight this generation for me. One more hour to go!
Old 10-08-13, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, agreed with Flashburn. Nearly everything that polarizes a critical audience I end up loving (I'm winking at you Deadly Premonition).
Old 10-08-13, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an appointment today that happened to put me near a Gamestop. They had a bunch of them on the shelf behind the counter.

Me: Beyond: Two Souls.
GS: Do you want to buy one.
Me: Yes.
GS: Did you pre-order?
Me: No.
GS: Do you want to pre-order anything?
Me: No.

They rang it up and I was out the door. Probably took less time than if I'd pre-ordered.
Old 10-08-13, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My review after playing this game for about an hour:

This... game... is... AMAZING!

Spoiler for those of you who have gotten past the birthday party.
Spoiler:
Holy shit, getting revenge on those little fucks was one of the most intense moments I've ever had playing a video game before. Amazing.
Old 10-08-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok, don't have the game but might play it down the line when it's cheaper, but this is funny.

http://kotaku.com/photoshops-ruin-el...way-1442734235
Old 10-08-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Without being spoilery, what are you guys' thoughts on the flashback structure of the story telling?

My thoughts, which don't spoil any plot, gameplay, etc but just talk about the narrative structure.

Spoiler:
I'm mixed on it myself. I don't know if setting things chronologically would have worked better, and I like how each scene is meaningful and isn't rushed. It's like a novel in that regard. A movie or even most TV shows don't have the luxury of allowing events to breath like they do in this game.

On the other hand, I also feel they could be doing more to make connections between each scene. There are a lot of scenes which fill in plot details, but I don't think they are doing a good job displaying traits and then filling in character gaps. Considering how often the story goes back to Jodie's childhood and adolescence it seems fertile ground for such moments.
Old 10-09-13, 08:14 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by flashburn
My review after playing this game for about an hour:

This... game... is... AMAZING!

Spoiler for those of you who have gotten past the birthday party.
Spoiler:
Holy shit, getting revenge on those little fucks was one of the most intense moments I've ever had playing a video game before. Amazing.
I ended the night a little past that part as well.
Spoiler:
I agree that choosing revenge on those party guests was intense. While there were no deaths, there certainly was a Carrie level of revenge in throwing chairs at them to knock them out, starting a fire on the curtains and just moving/pushing things around the room to freak them out.

I didn't really know much about the game going in and only picked it up because I got it for $7 from Amazon using their trade in deal and $20 credit the gave for ordering the game. The interactive movie aspect is kind of neat. Though you can certainly tell the game doesn't want you to deviate too much from the path it expects. When I am in control, I tried to explore more of an area only to have the character steered away or the screen dims a bit and you are forced to go the direction the game expects. I also am not sure on the decisions you get to make and if you wait too long, the game picks one for you. There is not a ton of freedom of choice.

However, the game looks really nice and the story has been interesting so far.
Spoiler:
The disjointed presentation is an interesting twist in that you are moving backward and forward in time to get the story.
Old 10-09-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
I ended the night a little past that part as well.
Spoiler:
I agree that choosing revenge on those party guests was intense. While there were no deaths, there certainly was a Carrie level of revenge in throwing chairs at them to knock them out, starting a fire on the curtains and just moving/pushing things around the room to freak them out.
Spoiler:
I didn't start a fire, but I did throw knives at one of the kids, and it stabbed him in the shoulder. It was crazy how it kept escalating.
Old 10-09-13, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
. The interactive movie aspect is kind of neat. Though you can certainly tell the game doesn't want you to deviate too much from the path it expects. When I am in control, I tried to explore more of an area only to have the character steered away or the screen dims a bit and you are forced to go the direction the game expects. I also am not sure on the decisions you get to make and if you wait too long, the game picks one for you. There is not a ton of freedom of choice.
Welcome to a David Cage game. It's not about the freedom of choice, it's not about being able to do what you want to do - it's about doing what the guys behind the game wanted you to experience. Experience being the key word here - you're not playing a game, your experiencing a story.

I played up until the training montage. Love love loving this, it's everything I was hoping for and more. during the party scene, I was so invested in Jodie that
Spoiler:
when the kids turned on her, I personally was angry. I was put in her shoes as that outcast, and felt sorry for her - and I felt horrible for having Aiden go apeshit too, especially when Jodie started yelling at him/it. I drank, but didn't smoke weed (it went away too quickly because i wanted to, but was just shocked/surprised/grateful they put that in there as an option, made it more real) - and have been making choices that make her seem like a real person throughout.
Old 10-09-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Still waiting for UPS to arrive.
Old 10-09-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Still waiting for UPS to arrive.
sorry, but
Old 10-09-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

sorry, but
It suck to be me.
Old 10-09-13, 11:59 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Welcome to a David Cage game. It's not about the freedom of choice, it's not about being able to do what you want to do - it's about doing what the guys behind the game wanted you to experience. Experience being the key word here - you're not playing a game, your experiencing a story.

I played up until the training montage. Love love loving this, it's everything I was hoping for and more. during the party scene, I was so invested in Jodie that
Spoiler:
when the kids turned on her, I personally was angry. I was put in her shoes as that outcast, and felt sorry for her - and I felt horrible for having Aiden go apeshit too, especially when Jodie started yelling at him/it. I drank, but didn't smoke weed (it went away too quickly because i wanted to, but was just shocked/surprised/grateful they put that in there as an option, made it more real) - and have been making choices that make her seem like a real person throughout.
Oh... I am loving the game as well.. Just that I wasn't sure what to expect as its the first game like this that I think I've played. I have been making the decisions that I think a person like that would make. Lots of shrugging, and non-verbal or non-committal responses.

At the party
Spoiler:
I did have her drink and smoke weed as I felt it made her appear to want to fit in more with peers. It was said that she really didn't have friends and kind of has been isolated. One of the things that I found to have Aiden move was a candle near the stereo system by the window. this caused the curtains to catch on fire. I didn't find the knives. I did feel bad after the revenge, but as you said the kids really turned on her and one burned her with a cigarette. I felt it was something that a kid at that age and being picked on might do. Certainly Aiden seems to want to protect her and punish those that hurt/harm her.

For anyone that's gotten a bit far in,

Spoiler:
during the CIA training bits, did you have the Rockey theme playing in your head? While she's doing the combat training (punching and kicking) and running the obstacle course, that just started playing in my mind.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.