DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Comics?

WTF?!

There's a trailer featuring Batman pounding the shit out of Sub-Zero over here:
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/18/mo...ation-trailer/
Old 04-18-08, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have you checked out noob.com lately? yesterday the countdown ended and today there is some weird message and a blurry pic. If you try to unscramble it the last two words are "lifts tomorrow" not sure about the first word though.

Edit: i think the first word is embargo

Last edited by mrmagoo; 04-18-08 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-18-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrmagoo
have you checked out noob.com lately? yesterday the countdown ended and today there is some weird message and a blurry pic. If you try to unscramble it the last to words are "lifts tomorrow" not sure about the first word though.
That blurred pic is totally Scorpion.

And I wonder if they'll sneak Marcus Phoenix in there since DC is now making a Gears of War comic...
Old 04-18-08, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
That blurred pic is totally Scorpion.

And I wonder if they'll sneak Marcus Phoenix in there since DC is now making a Gears of War comic...

Your very right that is indeed scorpion and it looks like a snake has his hand, actually if you back away from the pic it becomes MUCH more clear.
Old 04-18-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

http://kotaku.com/381505/midway-game...ters-announced
Old 04-18-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interesting. For some reason, though, I think MK vs. Marvel Zombies would have been a better fit. And I don't think there would have been any problems with having fatalities in that. Maybe for the sequel.
Old 04-18-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice idea with the Marvel Zombies! But I think EA has the Marvel license right now. But the Marvel Zombies should be made into a video game.

As for MK vs. DC, ehh, I don't think it's too far out there. I think Star Wars in Soul Calibur is stretching it a bit more.

But I don't see DC allowing their characters heads and spines getting ripped out in buckets of blood. It will be interesting to see if the fatalities will be toned down.
Old 04-18-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
<object width="325" height="300">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.gamesradar.com/video/ext/v-20080417145329734070"></param>
<param name="wmode" value="window"></param>
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="false"></param>
<embed src="http://www.gamesradar.com/video/ext/v-20080417145329734070" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" allowFullScreen="false" width="325" height="300"></embed>
</object>

looks sweet! but i wanna see marvel vs dc. Why cant they make that game? It would be a mega seller.
Old 04-18-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts
Wait...a NEW game with DC characters? Whaaaat? I never cared for Mortal Kombat but DC????

Fuck, we need a DC vs. Marvel game.

EDIT: On second thought, DC games are always done half assed. Makers never put the same effort into them as they do with Marvel games so I don't know how this will work out.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-19-08 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-18-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Wait...a NEW game with DC characters? Whaaaat? I never cared for Mortal Kombat but DC????

Fuck, we need a DC V mean Marvel game.

EDIT: On second thought, DC games are always done half assed. Makers never put the same effort into them as they do with Marvel games so I don't know how this will work out.
I'd love to see a Capcom take on DC v.s. Marvel.

When I read the thread title I kind of grinned thinking how MK v.s. DC could be terrible, but the video looks pretty sweet. Should be interesting to see how they balence out the two sides.
Old 04-18-08, 05:49 PM
Banned

No fatalities = no sale!!!

The Goddamn Batman needs a fatality.
Old 04-18-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo

Fuck, we need a DC V mean Marvel game.

I take it you never played that Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects game. Or any fighting game featuring licensed characters (Star Wars, comic book characters, Shaq) that was not made by Namco or Capcom. Though I agree, at least there have been decent Marvel games, I can't remember the last decent DC game (even the last Justice League game that was ok was largely overshadowed by Marvel Ultimate Alliance). Here's hoping Lego Batman changes that trend.

I do wish Capcom made a Marvel vs. DC game... or heck, even just a DC or Marvel-only game (in 2d, of course).
Old 04-18-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's some info that addresses the fatalities question.

A more potentially controversial change to the system is the game's fatalities. According to Boon, there will definitely be fatality-like finishing moves, but they may not be called fatalities. After all, it's doubtful that Superman or Batman would be ripping out anyone's spines or hearts. That said, the team is hellbent on pushing the limits to what they can do with the DC characters, so you can expect to see blood and some level of damage accumulate during a fight.
Old 04-18-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 171 Posts
Holy shit! I am sooooo getting this.
Old 04-18-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well the game will be rated T instead of M. So that will give you an idea on how far they can go.
Old 04-19-08, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is so...random. Yet I will definitely check it out. I wish is was Capcom or Namco, but the chance of a DC licensed game being decent is too much for me to overlook. I don't think there need to be fatalities, and I would be happy with just finisher type moves.
Old 04-19-08, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
WTF is right! No violence in Mortal Kombat equals no sale. No...if I could decapitate Batman at will, then I'd be sold.
Old 04-19-08, 08:01 AM

As long as it's better than Justice League Task Force (which shouldn't be that hard to do), I'm in.
Old 04-19-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

this will be very bad, and will sell over 1 million copies
Old 04-19-08, 12:21 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is about time that the MK series ripped off the Marvel vs. Capcom games. I haven't owned a MK game since MK Trilogy on the N64, and for the most part I think the DC Universe sucks. But, this is still a game I have to own.
Old 04-19-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts
Originally Posted by IIG
It is about time that the MK series ripped off the Marvel vs. Capcom games. I haven't owned a MK game since MK Trilogy on the N64, and for the most part I think the DC Universe sucks. But, this is still a game I have to own.

Wha-evah!
Old 04-19-08, 05:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IIG
...for the most part I think the DC Universe sucks.
Marvel fanboy.
Old 06-24-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

GameSpot: Now that the news has been out for a while, what do you make of the reaction?

Ed Boon: The initial reaction was a pretty universal "WTF?" There were quite a few people who were very vocal about their opinions and a good number of them were objecting to the idea. At the same time, we understood that this was a reaction to an announcement and a teaser trailer that didn't give many specifics about the game. When little information is released, there are a lot of assumptions and speculation made by people, some of which quickly become (incorrect) facts. Fatalities is a great example of this. I was surprised to see so many stories stating (with so much certainty) that the game wasn't going to have fatalities. As if we made an official announcement. We knew that eventually people would learn the truth and all the confusion would be cleared up. In an odd sort of way, I was actually impressed to see how much passion the MK fans still have for the series. If they didn't care, you wouldn't have seen anywhere near the volume of discussion that came from the announcement

GS: Is it what you expected? Has there been anything surprising?

EB: To some degree, it was what we were expecting, but not at the intensity level and not the volume. We were really surprised how much of the media that don't normally cover video game news covered the story. We were also surprised by how much speculation and assumptions people made about the game after seeing practically zero gameplay. Again, the MK fans never cease to amaze us. If anything, the intensity of their reaction has inspired us to make the game even better.

GS: How has it gone down with DC? You're obviously used to the Internet percolating over game announcements, but this is probably new ground for them. Did you need to explain anything to them?

EB: Going into this, we've had a number of conversations with DC about what people's reactions will be. We have been pleasantly surprised as to how cooperative DC has been with us. They understand that their universe isn't as violent as Mortal Kombat's and that there would be a lot of assumptions that the game would be a "watered-down MK." So from that standpoint, we know that is where a lot of player's concerns would be. With that, our discussions with DC are mainly based on individual items that may or may not be too violent or are not in brand with their characters. Certain animations, blood effects, and sound effects that we have in the game are really pushing the T-rating envelope.

GS: Did you see any reactions out there that stood out as being valid or totally off base?

EB: In terms of valid responses, I've been surprised at how many people are recognizing all the assumptions that are going on. People who've pointed out the obvious of "nobody has even played the game yet" have a very valid point. On the other hand, the people who have assumed things like there will be no blood or fatalities in the game have been totally off base. Unfortunately, this assumption has been made by a good number of players and even some of the press, but you really can't fault them when so little information has been officially announced. Again, over time, all of the details will be revealed.

GS: Did you see any speculation on the roster that nailed it or came close?

EB: I don't think I saw a list that got all of the characters right. But I did see quite a few people using common sense to guess at which characters would be included, and those were the ones who got the most number of characters correct.

GS: Has reaction influenced development at all?

EB: To some extent, yes. The MK team definitely wants to please the fans. That has always been our number one goal. At the same time, we understood that a lot of the reaction was from speculation and rumors, so we didn't change things based on someone ranting (incorrectly) that the game was not going to have fatalities. Still, we didn't ignore the reactions as they certainly reinforced how important certain aspects of Mortal Kombat are to the fans.

GS: How's work going? What's gotten done since the announcement?

EB: Since the announcement, we've been in full production mode. A lot of content is being added into the game. Arenas, character models, animations, and sounds. We've also been cranking very hard on our Story mode, which is really going to tell a great story from two perspectives (MK-side and DC-side) that answers all of the questions people have about how these two worlds collide. In addition, we've been refining our different fighting modes (Klose Kombat and Freefall Kombat), so they look, feel, and play just right.

GS: How challenging has it been to revamp the fighting system?

EB: It's been a pretty big challenge. At the same time, it's been nice to reboot the fighting mechanic once again. One of our main points of focus has been the balance between the normal fighting mechanic, the Klose Kombat, and the Freefall Kombat. We want to make sure the amount of time you play in each of these modes feels right.

GS: Have you made any more headway on the fatality versus finishing moves?

EB: Yes we have. All of the MK characters and all of the DC villains will have fatalities. The DC heroes who don't kill that often will have brutalities that will function just like fatalities but don't actually kill the opponent.

GS: What can we look for at E3?

EB: We will be showing four characters and two arenas.

GS: So now that the door's been opened with MK vs. DC, do you think fans might get MK vs. Street Fighter?

EB: I've never held back my enthusiasm for doing a project like MK vs. Street Fighter. I still think it would be a blast to do. But the reality of the situation is that we are two different companies. That's a tough obstacle to overcome. It's kind of like doing Tekken vs. Virtua Fighter, Die Hard vs. Rambo, Coke vs. Pepsi, "Family Ties" vs. "Growing Pains," Alien vs. Preda...never mind...you get the idea.

GS: Thanks for your time.

+++

Old 06-24-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I find it hard to believe that DC would allow Superman or Batman to be on the wrong end of a fatality. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 06-24-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
What are the other MKs rated as? I have a hard time believing any of the other MKs with fatalities would get a T rating. Also, who knew there were so many MK fans that would be up in arms about this... I'd think you'd get more DC fans reacting.

Personally, I'd much rather have a 2-d, animation-like game along the lines of Capcom vs. Marvel... I'm just not a fan of making these comic book characters try to look too realistic, which is like the bread and butter of MK. I think I still have a bad taste in my mouth from that horrid Marvel Nemesis game, whatever it was called.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen an interview that used variations of the word "assume" so much...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.