Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Playstation all-stars battle royale (PS3)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-27-12, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't see a thread on this so I thought I would make one, if there is one (I searched) then please merge it

This has been a rumor for awhile. A Super Smash Brothers type of game with sony characters. Well, it was offically announced today with a trailer. While I think the name needs work, it looks decent

And yes, it does look a lot like SSBM, but who cares? IMO the characters in this are going to be a lot better than Nintendo's characters and much more adult friendly. People are already complaining and up in arms saying it's EXACTLY like SSBM. If we are to say this is the exact same game then we must also say that Vigilante 8 is the EXACT same game as Twisted Metal, which it isn't.

Here's the trailer with gameplay

<param name="movie" value="http://playstationlifestyle.springboardplatform.com/mediaplayer/springboard/video/play020/399/480793/"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://playstationlifestyle.springboardplatform.com/mediaplayer/springboard/video/play020/399/480793/" width="685" height="415" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

Honestly the formula works and I'm glad I will be able to play a game and see what the big deal is with SSBM without having to buy one of Nintendo's systems, which I'll never do.

So who thinks that Kevin Butler should be the last boss? :P

Also I didn't mean to put PSN in the title, meant PS3 as I don't know if it's going to be a disc or psn dlc yet.

Last edited by glassdragon; 04-27-12 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-27-12, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts
Re: Playstation all-stars battle royale (PSN)

Might be fun. I have a great deal of fondness for many of the Playstation exclusive characters (much more so than Nintendo for the same reason as you -- not much of a Nintendo console owner). This game looks simplistic and I don't know if I might get bored pretty quickly, but since it's a PSN title, I figure it should probably be $15-$20 and at that price, I'd certainly give it a try if the reviews aren't awful.
Old 04-27-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
but since it's a PSN title, I figure it should probably be $15-$20 and at that price, I'd certainly give it a try if the reviews aren't awful.
It's not a PSN title, it's a normal retail game.
Old 04-27-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll wait for the next Super Smash Brothers title since Nintendo knows how to do this type of game right.
Old 04-27-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I'll wait for the next Super Smash Brothers title since Nintendo knows how to do this type of game right.
Provided they make another, they just posted their first loss in 30 years and it's not small. Close to 500 million dollars.

Also, not really sure you can say that sony isn't doing it right when you haven't even played it yet. I wouldn't presume that SSBB is bad since I haven't played it. That's kind of presumptuous.

Last edited by glassdragon; 04-27-12 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-27-12, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Playstation all-stars battle royale (PS3)

I'll just wait for the Battle Royale with Cheese expansion pack.
Old 04-27-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm happy as long as the battle royale comes in a limited edition blu-ray book and not a blue vortex case.
Old 04-27-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very meh. I can't even think of any Sony exclusive characters, first one that comes to mind is Snake from Metal Gear Solid but he's no longer exclusive. Dante from Devil May Cry? Nope, not him either.
Old 04-28-12, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Very meh. I can't even think of any Sony exclusive characters, first one that comes to mind is Snake from Metal Gear Solid but he's no longer exclusive. Dante from Devil May Cry? Nope, not him either.
You can't think of Kratos or Nathan Drake? A couple of the best games out there on any system, there are others, but these 2 always stand out to me.
Old 04-28-12, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mdWkKKSckNk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Michael should be happy. That vid does feature some of the PS3 exclusive like Kratos, Drake, Sackboy, guys from Resistance and Killzone, but also a lot that are multi-platform.

The game video didn't really do much for me. I'm not the biggest SSB fan out there, so basically same game different graphics is going to compel me
Old 04-28-12, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think that one has anything to do with this game as they've been showing that on the tester episodes the entire last season, still very cool commercial though.
Old 04-28-12, 11:22 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Sony stole a decade old idea from Nintendo? Wow, I'm shocked!

They literally stole ever aspect from Smash Brothers. That's just...pathetic. Maybe they make their own Kart Racer too! Oh...wait...
Old 04-28-12, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While I'm not against the game I'm not really surprised by anything I've seen. If it gets word of mouth running in the positive..I'll play it. Otherwise...nothing new to get me excited. Nintendo has already done it and it's been very good w/ it. If it's that..but w/ Sony...it's still not enough. It's got to be that and then some too otherwise..it's just generic.
Old 04-28-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
You can't think of Kratos or Nathan Drake? A couple of the best games out there on any system, there are others, but these 2 always stand out to me.
Those characters are both late-Sony characters. Neither was on PS1. Kratos came on at least 5 years after PS2 came out and Nathan Drake is a PS3 guy. While Nintendo's characters have spanned, not just decades, but generations. There's a huge difference. Even Master Chief is older than Kratos.

So, yeah I couldn't think of any, Ratchet and Clank maybe?
Old 04-28-12, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, A Car from Gran Turismo, etc.
Old 04-28-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I almost feel like I'm new to the forum when I for some reason didn't expect people to pile on the sony hate. Some of the people doing this are the very same people that defend Call of Duty every time even though it's pretty much the exact same game each time, even uses the same models from game to game at times.

and Popcorn you are talking about characters that were out 10+ years BEFORE the ps1 even came out. They haven't had nearly as much time to come up with as many iconic characters, nor are most of the ps1 characters etched in our memories from when we were kids. I remember the first time I played Super mario brothers, but I don't remember the first game I played on ps1. At some point it has to go past nostalgia which is what people feel for the older nintendo characters such as Mario and Link. Hell, half the Mario and Zelda games they sell are probably to people who couldn't care less about the story and buy it just because it's Mario or Zelda.

I'm not saying they're bad games at all. What I'm saying is that the characters you knew when you were a kid mean more to you than the newer ones. Unless you are in your 20's then your first system was probably an NES or a Master System.

I personally play games because they're fun, not because of some ingrained nostalgia for older characters. And if this game is fun then who cares if it's like SSB? The bottom line is whether it's a good game or not, not where it came from.
Old 04-28-12, 04:22 PM
Suspended

I almost feel like I'm new to the forum when I for some reason didn't expect people to pile on the sony hate. Some of the people doing this are the very same people that defend Call of Duty every time even though it's pretty much the exact same game each time, even uses the same models from game to game at times.

and Popcorn you are talking about characters that were out 10+ years BEFORE the ps1 even came out. They haven't had nearly as much time to come up with as many iconic characters, nor are most of the ps1 characters etched in our memories from when we were kids. I remember the first time I played Super mario brothers, but I don't remember the first game I played on ps1. At some point it has to go past nostalgia which is what people feel for the older nintendo characters such as Mario and Link. Hell, half the Mario and Zelda games they sell are probably to people who couldn't care less about the story and buy it just because it's Mario or Zelda.

I'm not saying they're bad games at all. What I'm saying is that the characters you knew when you were a kid mean more to you than the newer ones. Unless you are in your 20's then your first system was probably an NES or a Master System.
Sony hate? They essentially stole everything about Smash Brothers. Should they be applauded?

As for 'memorable' characters, that's Sony's fault. All of their 'memorable' characters from the PS1 era ditched them and went multi platform. Crash was the defect Sony mascot during the PS1 era. Now he's on every console. Ditto with Spyro. Aside from a few you mentioned, Sony is really stretching with some of these characters. They can't get a mascot. Nintendo, Microsoft and even Sega have recognizable mascots.
Old 04-28-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And Saints row pretty much stole everything from Grand theft auto. Your point is?

I personally like saints row way better than GTA. It's all how they make it. And while the mascot has been around longer I would say that sony has quite a few mascots going for them, 2 of which i mentioned earlier. Just about everyone knows who Kratos is, just as everyone knows who Master Chief is.

And yes, hate. There is a game called Small Arms for Live arcade which is essentially a not quite as impressive exact version of SSB, but I didn't hear anyone get up in arms about that one

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BJRPDor_fHg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BJRPDor_fHg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Anyone who refuses to play a game that might be fun because of their own hatred towards a brand, character, company, etc are the ones missing out imo.

For the record, I did not like Twilight princess at all, but at least I gave it a shot and played it for a few hours before passing judgement on it even though I can't stand the wii.

Last edited by glassdragon; 04-28-12 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-28-12, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Sony hate? They essentially stole everything about Smash Brothers. Should they be applauded?

As for 'memorable' characters, that's Sony's fault. All of their 'memorable' characters from the PS1 era ditched them and went multi platform. Crash was the defect Sony mascot during the PS1 era. Now he's on every console. Ditto with Spyro. Aside from a few you mentioned, Sony is really stretching with some of these characters. They can't get a mascot. Nintendo, Microsoft and even Sega have recognizable mascots.
Gizmo, you have been, for over a decade now, the poster-boy for Sony hate. From your bashing the PS2 build quality here ages ago to your dismissing the Vita on the CAG forums earlier this year. You're entitled to your opinion, sure. But don't hotly deny a personal aversion to Sony when the evidence is a mile long and nearly a generation in duration.

BTW two characters of the four in that video (Pa Rappa and Sweet Tooth) were PS1 Sony characters. Yes, they don't have the stable of familiar characters that Nintendo has, but then again, they've also made some memorable new characters and games this Century rather than recycling their old characters and games over and over and over and over and over and over again.
Old 04-28-12, 05:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Decker
Gizmo, you have been, for over a decade now, the poster-boy for Sony hate. From your bashing the PS2 build quality here ages ago to your dismissing the Vita on the CAG forums earlier this year. You're entitled to your opinion, sure. But don't hotly deny a personal aversion to Sony when the evidence is a mile long and nearly a generation in duration.

BTW two characters of the four in that video (Pa Rappa and Sweet Tooth) were PS1 Sony characters. Yes, they don't have the stable of familiar characters that Nintendo has, but then again, they've also made some memorable new characters and games this Century rather than recycling their old characters and games over and over and over and over and over and over again.
And yet, I have a Vita (thankfully I didn't pay for the damn thing otherwise I'd be pissed at the lack of games). I've had several PS3s. I don't like Sony, but there is no denying this is a direct ripoff of Smash Brothers. I pretty much avoid this sub forum here since it's so Pro-Sony (which makes sense, given our ages and how dominant the PS1/PS2 was, and the loyalty some have to Sony), and I'll likely continue to do so. The OP already started off with excuses of other games that "copied" Sony games. Right, because Vigilante 8 and Twisted Metal are super well known franchises. But hey - Nintendo might not even make another Smash Brothers (according to glass dragon) because they just posted a loss! It's not like Sony didn't just post a 2.1 Billion dollar one. No worries though, I won't post in this thread again. I'll just wait for Smash Brother on the Wii U and Sony fans can enjoy this copycat.

Pa Rappa and Sweet Tooth? You think those are memorable characters? They might be recognizable to the hard core game player, but casual gamers won't know who they are. Sweet Tooth might get a bit more traction since the latest TM game just came out, but probably not even by name. Just that guy from Twisted Metal.

Last edited by Gizmo; 04-28-12 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-28-12, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You complain an awful lot about things there gizmo.

I never denied that it was very similar, but what does that even matter if it's fun?

Oh it doesn't, I just think you enjoy complaining

And your assertion that any saying this game looks ok makes them pro-sony is laughable. How about pro-good games. You should try stepping out of your box sometime, it's nice out here

I also want to say that sure, 500 million looks small in comparision compared to 2.1 billion, but we are talking about a company that only stays in the realm of software and hardware being compared to a company that is in multiple facets of technology and entertainment. Consoles, tv, sound systems, and movie distribution just to name a few. I don't know what the exact numbers for both companies are for year end of say last year, but I would imagine that with such a foothold in entertainment that Sony brought in a whole lot more than Nintendo, so it's common sense that their losses may be higher than that of a company that isn't pulling in as much.

Oh, and nintendo has money, but it's already been stated by quite a few sources I believe that if the Wii U fails then this will likely be their last console. And the developers are already starting to say that it isn't even as powerful as the ps3 or 360. They can't rely on new gimmicks forever and continue to stay behind the pack in terms of graphics and power. Of course, we'll see when it's released. I won't count it out until I can try it or see it for myself, i won't do what others might be doing with this game.

Sorry for the digress. Back on topic, I'll probably just rent this to see if I like it first. I'm not paying full price until I can try it first

Last edited by glassdragon; 04-28-12 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-28-12, 07:38 PM
Banned

Oh, and nintendo has money, but it's already been stated by quite a few sources I believe that if the Wii U fails then this will likely be their last console.
This doesn't make sense to me at all. Aren't the Wii and Nintendo DS two of the most successful consoles ever? Why would one bad dud (If the Wii U even turns out to be a dud) take them out of the game?
Old 04-28-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Ever since WOW came out almost every competing MMO uses the same User Interface and gameplay. No one complains about that anymore because it's a working and winning formula.
Old 04-28-12, 10:12 PM

Microsoft should also come out with a SSB clone with memorable MS-exclusive characters. You could have Master Chief, Marcus Fenix and .....well, maybe it could be a two-person game.
Old 04-28-12, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

They could always bring back Blinx the cat. And also that lady and that robot from the original XBOX tech demo from 2001 or so.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.