Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

ROBLOX_OOF.mp3 | The Wilhelm scream of video games & the deepest dive into SFX attribution; plus crimes!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

ROBLOX_OOF.mp3 | The Wilhelm scream of video games & the deepest dive into SFX attribution; plus crimes!

Old 11-19-22, 01:03 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

I know none of y'all are going to watch a video presumably about a single sound effect for a game that you've either 1) never heard of, or 2) heard of but have no idea why any of this matters in the slightest... and the fact that the video is two fucking hours is... a lot.

But I implore you to consider otherwise.
Because this story is... fucking insane... and has twists you couldn't possibly dream of

the TL;DW version is:
This "oof" sound has become a meme in the world of Roblox and elsewhere. It's getting used everywhere, not unlike the Wilhelm scream (originally "man being eaten by alligator" by the way!), but the sound does not originate from Roblox at all! Controversy! It originates from a game nobody played called Messiah. But that's just the beginning!

Mild spoiler for why you should watch this...
Spoiler:
If you know who Tommy Tallarico is, or have any familiarity with Video Games Live, that guy is involved. And it goes off the fucking rails.

To quote the guy who made the video,
I promise you when I started making this video my goal was to make something short for once, take a break from my longer projects to make a quick video quickly so people knew I was alive. I did not expect, while I was doing research, for a rabbit hole to open beneath my feet and to fall Wile E. Coyote style into an abyss of lies and madness, and seemingly getting one ... Guinness World Records sent to the fucking shadow realm.

Seriously... this video is a rollercoaster like no other, and anyone remotely familiar with the subject matter will probably get a kick out of it, despite being longer than most movies these days.