Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Playstation all-stars battle royale (PS3)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playstation all-stars battle royale (PS3)

Old 04-29-12, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Playstation all-stars battle royale (PS3)

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
This doesn't make sense to me at all. Aren't the Wii and Nintendo DS two of the most successful consoles ever? Why would one bad dud (If the Wii U even turns out to be a dud) take them out of the game?
The wii is pretty sucessful mostly for price. Sure the console didn't really compete with the others on graphics, but it was cheap and fairly fun for the cheap price it started at. Problem with Wii U is that it's not going to be a cheap system and if we thought controllers for 360 and ps3 were expensive, the wii u ones are going to be ridiculous I imagine. Nintendo just posted their first loss in 30 years and it's because they take a hit on the 3ds with each unit sold.

I really hope it doesn't break them if the Wii U isn't a hit. A loss of competition is never in the best interest for anyone.
Old 04-29-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

Only one Wii U controller can be used on one system, so I don't see people buying extras. Plus it's compatible with the Wiimotes, which aren't that expensive. Since many people interested in the Wii U will have the Wii anyway, so it shouldn't be a difficult transition.

Last edited by bluetoast; 04-29-12 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-29-12, 12:41 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
The wii is pretty sucessful mostly for price. Sure the console didn't really compete with the others on graphics, but it was cheap and fairly fun for the cheap price it started at. Problem with Wii U is that it's not going to be a cheap system and if we thought controllers for 360 and ps3 were expensive, the wii u ones are going to be ridiculous I imagine. Nintendo just posted their first loss in 30 years and it's because they take a hit on the 3ds with each unit sold.

I really hope it doesn't break them if the Wii U isn't a hit. A loss of competition is never in the best interest for anyone.
So you have proof the wii U "won't be a cheap system"? Care to share that source? Or is this just an assumption? You think it will be the $500/$600 range that the PS3 was?

Yes, Nintendo just posted there first loss in 30 years. We get it. But your already proclaiming the death them? Do you just ignore every bad Sony news items that comes down the line? Sony posted a loss as well. The PS3 is in last place in the console wars. Sony lost tons of the PS3. They were in First place for the past two generations and are now in last. But that's OK and they will be around forever but Nintendo might not be? Gees. To the Ignore list you go.
Old 04-29-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

My prediction:

$350 retail price

$250 for the system

$100 for the Tablet Controller
Old 04-29-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Only one Wii U controller can be used on one system, so I don't see people buying extras. Plus it's compatible with the Wiimotes, which aren't that expensive. Since many people interested in the Wii U will have the Wii anyway, so it shouldn't be a difficult transition.
That's true, I forgot about the built in support for wiimotes.

As I said though, I hope it doesn't kill nintendo, less competition is not a good thing. I figure the system because of the controller will be like 300 to 350 which while not a lot now, it's a much higher price than the wii came out at. I hope for that extra 100 bucks it have the value to make up for it.

And the reason I think it could have a bigger effect on them and not the ps3 or 360 is due to the fact that Nintendo's only source of income for the most part is consoles and games. Both MS and Sony have other very successful divisions to fall back upon to take the brunt of lost money on the system for awhile. I don't know how long Nintendo could go hemorrhaging the type of money that Sony and MS did when their systems first hit, or after their price drops. I don't believe either reported any profit on the actual system for a year or 2 after. Sony taking longer to see a profit of course.

And it's ok Gizmo, i was thinking of putting you on my ignore list anyways seeing as I ignored you on CAG like 6 months ago. I rarely see you post anything that has any kind of validity to it without incessant whining (It annoys the piss out of me when adults whine about everything). So It saves me from seeing your posts too.

Last edited by glassdragon; 04-29-12 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-29-12, 02:28 PM
Cool New Member

Re: Playstation all-stars battle royale (PSN)

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Provided they make another, they just posted their first loss in 30 years and it's not small. Close to 500 million dollars.
Yes, because Nintendo finally had a loss means that their already announced Smash Brothers games on 3ds and Wii U aren't going to come out. Go back in your hole, troll.
Old 04-29-12, 02:39 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mhg83
My prediction:

$350 retail price

$250 for the system

$100 for the Tablet Controller
Selling the Wii U without the tablet....I don't see it. I'm still going with the $299.99 price, which is probably pretty fair considering the Wii was $249 at launch.

Anything higher than $299 (unless its a bundle with game), would just be stupid. The PS3 is going to be $199 come E3 (already that price at Game Stop - albeit a "temporary price" - but we all know what that means), and I'm sure MS will jump in around that price as well. Since the Wii U will have zero competition for at least a year, that price should help the people who want a new console but have no interest in the 360 and/or PS3. Sony was killed at the $500 price, and MS only limped by because it was the first to launch. The Wii U tablet will be an interesting thing...will it hurt 3DS sales? Help? What becomes of the Vita (which is already giving away free games and accessories just to lure people to buy it)?

Last edited by Gizmo; 04-29-12 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-29-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You guys are over on CAG? How has it been there? I haven't been in a while, but used to be a mod there back in '03-05.
Old 04-29-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Regardless. The whole point of this thread was never for it to turn into a console pissing match. Every console is good in it's own right and I enjoy quite a few games for each console. This game may suck bad, but I'll try it before condemning it. If I like it then who knows, maybe I'll pick up a cheap Wii and check out SSBB. If this is going to continue with people flaming others then the mods can close it now.

You guys are over on CAG? How has it been there? I haven't been in a while, but used to be a mod there back in '03-05.
I don't go there as much anymore, but for the most part the community is pretty cool to each other.
Old 04-29-12, 03:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

glassdragon is a troll now? Come on.
Old 04-29-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still don't understand why they designed it such that only one of those controllers will work on one system. The Wii emphasized multi-player on one console, so what's with giving one player "more control"?

If that's the case then is the emphasis for this controller on one player games? Or will there be limited functionality for the other players?

I've always wanted a "Dreamcast controller 2.0" and was looking forward to this design, but it looks like this is not it if multiple parties cannot participate. But I'll wait to see what the it's going to be used for.
Old 04-29-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still don't understand why they designed it such that only one of those controllers will work on one system. The Wii emphasized multi-player on one console, so what's with giving one player "more control"?

If that's the case then is the emphasis for this controller on one player games? Or will there be limited functionality for the other players?

I've always wanted a "Dreamcast controller 2.0" and was looking forward to this design, but it looks like this is not it if multiple parties cannot participate. But I'll wait to see what the it's going to be used for.
Maybe it's a hardware limitation. Like for some reason the system won't pair with more than one item at once if it's using an older version of bluetooth.

I can't imagine that Nintendo had a round table and went "Hey, lets make this awesome new controller, but only limit it to one player per system so that it's only really useful on one player games". Sounds like shooting themselves in the foot.
Old 04-29-12, 03:46 PM
Suspended

Mostly kids from GameFaqs now. It gets annoying arguing with 14 year olds so I've pretty much stopped posting aside from some bargains. It's all about loopholes and hoarding now. Buy up cheap $5 games from Best buy for $7 credit at Game Stop. And if they do it 30 times, they get a game for free! No, really.
Old 04-29-12, 03:50 PM
Suspended

IIRC, Nintendo said they have thought about multiple tablet controllers for the system after the E3 introduction. Could possible be because of too much 'power' to stream something to four different controllers. It's not like the little VMU Sega had (which is still cool as shit)
Old 04-29-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Mostly kids from GameFaqs now. It gets annoying arguing with 14 year olds so I've pretty much stopped posting aside from some bargains. It's all about loopholes and hoarding now. Buy up cheap $5 games from Best buy for $7 credit at Game Stop. And if they do it 30 times, they get a game for free! No, really.
Ah that sucks. Although CheapyD is still cool haha. I used to go to GameFaqs all the time, that's changed a lot too...
Old 10-15-12, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

From the Playstation Blog:

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Access Begins Tuesday for PS3, PS Vita

+ Posted by Cristian Cardona // Associate Product Marketing Manager, Software Marketing

We hope you’ve been keeping track of all the recent updates on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale news, from an in-depth update on the PS Vita version to our behind-the-scenes look at mashing up different worlds, we’ve shown you what this game is shaping up to be…and we think it’s high time you try it out for yourselves!

Today, we’re happy to announce that the PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta will kick off for PlayStation Plus members on PS3 tomorrow, October 16th and expand to everyone October 23rd through PlayStation Store! What’s more, as a special treat, PS Vita users will be able dive right into the multiplayer beta starting tomorrow – no Plus subscription required. The Beta will support Cross-Play, so PS3 and PS Vita owners will be able to fight with and against each other.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aRH8iuOfSDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So what will be in this limited Beta?

You’ll be able to play as Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Colonel Radec, Sly Cooper, PaRappa, and Fat Princess.
You’ll be able to play in both the Metropolis and Hades stages.
You’ll be able to try out four-player online tournaments and 2 v 2 online tournaments. For the 2 v 2 games we’ll be supporting friend invites, so you and a friend can fight another team online.

This, of course, is only a tiny fraction of what PlayStation All-Stars has to offer, but we thought you’d love the chance to try it early and see what all the buzz is about. Be sure to hop on quickly as we’ll be ending the Beta on October 30th!

But that’s not all. As you know, we have a pre-order program [blog link] running right now that unlocks a set of exclusive costumes in the game. Today we’re happy to unveil the rest of the costumes you’ll be getting with your pre-order of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

Unlocked with your pre-order at participating retailers, these costumes will work for both the PS3 and PS Vita when it releases on November 20th, so be sure to reserve your copy today. And don’t forget: PlayStation All-Stars features Cross-Buy support, so if you purchase the PS3 version, you’ll get a downloadable PS Vita version for no extra cost.

With Beta access beginning tomorrow, we look forward to getting your feedback on the game and seeing what you think of this highly anticipated title. Spread the word and we’ll see you online!
Old 10-23-12, 02:19 AM

Impressive live-action 2 minute ad. A follow up to the legendary "Michael" ad from last year.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rPRXZiffNAQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-21-12, 12:48 AM

Well, I got my game today and thought this was interesting. I had assumed the way that Cross-Buy would work for retail games was that the game came with an online pass code (it does) and that downloading the online pass also gives you the Vita game in your download history (it does not). Instead, there's an option when you insert the disc for Disc Benefits (it's a disc with benefits!). Selecting that option gives you a message that will allow you to add the disc to your account to receive the disc benefits. You can add the disc only once and after adding the disc to your account, it cannot be added to any other account. It then sends you onto the PSN store where the Vita game then shows up free and you can purchase it and download it. Bottom line, I suppose is first guy who rents a copy from a Redbox gets the Vita version for free. Also I have no idea how the disc knows if the benefits have been used or not -- maybe someone can enlighten me. It's so weird, why not just tie the Vita license to the Online Pass insert?
Old 11-18-22, 07:14 PM

I love that 10 years later, this game is now canon.