Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts
Re: Ultimate Kickstarter Video Games Thread

New interview with the Tex Murphey creators:
http://gameological.com/2013/09/inte...rphy-creators/
Old 09-11-13, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Tex Murphy trailer looks absolutely awesome!
Old 09-11-13, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,285 Likes on 4,298 Posts

Mighty No. 9 is really close to getting their PS3/360/WiiU copies. The PS4/XO versions are still over $1.2M away. Who's going to want a 360 XBLA copy in 2015? I sure hope they hit the next gen stretch goal. It seems awfully high a stretch goal for what should be a standard port by then. Shantae is offering PS4/XO versions as standard goals, not even low-level stretch (and offered a Vita/Vita TV version the very day that the world heard that Vita TV was even a thing). I'm pretty excited about Mighty No. 9, but I'm taking a wait and see approach until the next gen version gets confirmed.
Old 09-17-13, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Mighty No. 9 is really close to getting their PS3/360/WiiU copies.
PS3/360/WiiU versions have been funded.

Godus is now on Steam Early Access:
http://hexus.net/gaming/news/pc/6018...-early-access/

Some recent new Kickstarters:

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is an all-new HD adventure from WayForward: makers of Ducktales Remastered, Adventure Time, & Contra 4. It has its own dedicated thread:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...4-360-one.html

The creator of the Sega Genesis games Mutant League Football & Mutant League Hockey is reviving the genre with the unofficial sequel Mutant Football League:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...otball-league/

Meanwhile. River City Ransom is getting an official sequel called River City Ransom: Underground:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...m-underground/

The developers of the game Awesomenauts are seeking funding for a new expansion called Awesomenauts: Starstorm
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...auts-starstorm

The classic animated TV series The Mysterious Cities of Gold has received renewed interest, with a second season being prduced in France, and now a video game, which the developers are seeking additional funding for in order to localize in additional languages:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...the-video-game
Old 09-17-13, 08:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I got excited for a moment and thought that was a reboot of "Seven Cities of Gold". Now that's something I would fund.
Old 09-17-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm all about a new MLF game, but I'm not going to spend $15 for an iOS game that might be out in 2 years. Couple that with they're planning it for X360 in 2015? Seems silly.
Old 09-17-13, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
I got excited for a moment and thought that was a reboot of "Seven Cities of Gold". Now that's something I would fund.
Same here!
Old 09-17-13, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
I'm all about a new MLF game, but I'm not going to spend $15 for an iOS game that might be out in 2 years. Couple that with they're planning it for X360 in 2015? Seems silly.
The latest update for the project states that they're including a PC version in all tiers, including the $15 one.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e/posts/601170

Here's an article about how the Kickstarter has failed to gain traction so far:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/artic...-seems-to-care
Old 09-18-13, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
...at a $30 price point. I'm sorry, but that's absurd and probably one of the main reasons it sputtered so bad.

Mighty No. 9 has finally hit the 360/PS3 stretch goal, but it's crawling along and it's hard to imagine it'll reach the additional $1.1 M over the next 13 days to get the PS4/XO versions. Shame, since that's what I'll want in 2015. They posted today that they might make a Vita and 3DS version as well, but no promises.
Old 09-22-13, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

The game CLANG by Neal Stephenson/Subutai Corporation has apparently halted development as they look to secure additional funding.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...28/clang/posts

Anyone back that game? The initial pitch video was pretty cool, but it appears that the technology they need to make the game and controller is going to cost a lot more than they expected.
Old 09-22-13, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heavily considered that project and wanted it pretty badly... but I genuinely didn't think they would be able to pull off something good in any kind of timely fashion.

Sadly this bums me out and doesn't surprise me.
Old 09-30-13, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Mighty No. 9 is really close to getting their PS3/360/WiiU copies. The PS4/XO versions are still over $1.2M away. Who's going to want a 360 XBLA copy in 2015? I sure hope they hit the next gen stretch goal. It seems awfully high a stretch goal for what should be a standard port by then. Shantae is offering PS4/XO versions as standard goals, not even low-level stretch (and offered a Vita/Vita TV version the very day that the world heard that Vita TV was even a thing). I'm pretty excited about Mighty No. 9, but I'm taking a wait and see approach until the next gen version gets confirmed.
Well it took for fucking ever to hit the absurdly high $3.3 M goal, but with under 24 hrs left, the PS4 and XO versions are confirmed. Vita and 3DS versions will certainly be hit now as well. I got in yesterday to show some good faith
So glad those versions are going to come out; ridiculous that the stretch goal was that high in the first place.

Also it's the final 24 hrs for Shantae as well. Hoping we hit some of those stretch goals now. Come on folks, get generous.
Old 10-01-13, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Including PayPal, Mighty No. 9 cleared $4 million.
Old 10-02-13, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What was the benefit of buying backing Mighty No. 9 vs. just waiting for it to come out? I was interested, but I didn't see a benefit to backing now.
Old 10-02-13, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Duran
What was the benefit of buying backing Mighty No. 9 vs. just waiting for it to come out? I was interested, but I didn't see a benefit to backing now.
Besides helping the game get made, there's usually backer "exclusives," such as the forum access and in-game credit mentioned in the first tier.

If all you're interested in is the game though, typically Kickstarters offer the game at a discount, although it's not always explicitly stated, and it's not guaranteed. For the Double Fine Advanture Kickstarter Broken Age, the Kickstarter offered the game for $15, while they're charging $30 for current pre-orders.
Old 10-17-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction

Obduction from the creators of Myst and Riven.

Obduction is an all-new, real-time, first-person adventure that harkens back to the spirit of Cyan’s earlier games Myst and Riven. Obduction resurrects that incredible feeling of suddenly finding yourself in the middle of a new world to explore, discover, solve, and become part of.

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the launch of Myst, one of the best-selling computer games in history. The Myst name is widely recognized as uniquely defining a new kind of gaming - amazingly immersive worlds where the point is to understand your environment rather than test your reflexes. The Obduction project will take what Cyan knows about creating deeply immersive worlds and apply it to an entirely new game with fantastic scenery, incredible architecture, compelling story, and exceptional challenges
Old 10-17-13, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Had no idea Cyan was even still a thing. They're off to a promising start.
Old 10-17-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Besides helping the game get made, there's usually backer "exclusives," such as the forum access and in-game credit mentioned in the first tier.
Meh. Last thing I need is another low traffic forum I don't have time to read. Are there people that think this is a real feature?

If all you're interested in is the game though, typically Kickstarters offer the game at a discount, although it's not always explicitly stated, and it's not guaranteed. For the Double Fine Advanture Kickstarter Broken Age, the Kickstarter offered the game for $15, while they're charging $30 for current pre-orders.
I've seen so many of these type of games be part of a bundle or part of the Steam sale, I sort of expect them to be dirt cheap at some later point (see: FTL).
Old 10-31-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trilobyte (they're still around?!?!) have put up a campaign for a new 7th Guest game called The Collector.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-the-collector

The original 7th Guest was the reason I bought a CD-ROM kit back in the day.
Old 06-27-14, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, obviously, I've lost interest in maintaining this thread. The flood of interesting games on Kickstarter has either slowed significantly, or I'm just burned out. I think the interesting enough games are getting their own threads nowadays.

Anyway, Kickstarter put up a page listing the 100+ games that were Kickstarted and are now on Steam:
https://www.kickstarter.com/play?ref=play_announcement
Old 08-16-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Night Trap ReVamped
by Night Trap, LLC

The iconic full-motion-video game, placing YOU in the leading role of a horror movie, is set to make its return in a new hi-def format!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-trap-revamped
Old 09-04-14, 11:02 AM

Night Trap is at about 12% of their goal with 5 days to go.

I just signed up for this game, which has already hit its modest funding goal :

Ray’s the Dead Coming to PS Vita with Cross-Buy

+ Posted by Chris Cobb on Sep 03, 2014 // Co-Founder, Ragtag Studio

Hello again PS.Blog. This is Chris Cobb with Ragtag Studio, developers of the forthcoming PS4 title, Ray’s the Dead. It has been quite a while since we last updated you on our progress, so we have quite a bit of news to share today, including lots of new information on the game, and the announcement that we are bringing Ray’s the Dead to PS Vita!

Ray’s the Dead was first announced for the PlayStation 4 at Sony’s E3 2013 Press Conference. Since that time, we have been hard at work at refining the controls, enhancing the features of our engine, expanding our arsenal of characters and fine-tuning the story. And finally, we’ve been developing the part of the game I’m most excited about, our flashback system!
<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/cn6fNjoy7YE?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/cn6fNjoy7YE?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I would like to refer to one of my favorite press quotes to tell you a little known fact about Ray’s the Dead: ‘Ray’s the Dead is a charming and thoughtfully constructed game that, while related to zombies, is really centered on the main character, Ray.’ -Cliqist. In Ray’s the Dead you not only play as Ray the zombie, but also as Ray the human. Much of the game is spent in fully playable flashbacks that tell the story of Ray’s past. These flashbacks are critically important to the game for a variety of reasons.

One, they let you meet first hand many of the characters from Ray’s past that you’ll also be meeting in the present. And second, they serve as a mechanic for unlocking Ray’s abilities. Extraordinary circumstances in the present will trigger flashbacks in Ray’s mind. While reliving these memories, Ray will ‘remember’ certain skills and abilities from his past, granting him the ability to use them in the present. You may be wondering what abilities Ray the human and Ray the zombie might have in common. Well, that’s part of the big mystery of the game, so you’ll have to play to find out!

We are also thrilled to announce that Ray’s the Dead will be shambling its way to PS Vita as a Cross-Buy title! Cross-Buy is one of our favorite features that many of today’s PlayStation releases share, so we are super excited to add Ray’s the Dead to that list. And let me tell you, this game looks gorgeous on Vita!

For those of you that had already planned to grab a copy of the PS4 version, surprise! Now you get the Vita version too!

We have a number of ideas we plan to implement in support of PS Vita’s unique features, including some degree of touch screen support, interaction between the Vita and PS4 version, and fully support for the upcoming PlayStation TV. We love Vita, and we want Ray’s the Dead to take advantage of all it has to offer.

You can help make that happen by grabbing a copy of the game off of our Kickstarter right now for less than what it will cost on release. This gives you a nice discount, and helps us make the game better – all at the same time. Everyone wins!

That’s all the news for now. I’ll be looking forward to your questions in the comments!
Old 09-11-14, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't know where to put this, but since it's for charity, I figured this would work

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/w...amer-challenge
Old 09-11-14, 01:50 PM

I'm kind of glad that the run of 20 autographed 360 controllers is sold out. Otherwise I'd be very tempted to splurge $250 on one.
Old 11-18-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-and-click-adv

Rob Gilbert of Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island fame are making a point and click adventure game in the style of those old LucasArts games.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thimbleweedpark/thimbleweed-park-a-new-classic-point-and-click-adv/widget/video.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"> </iframe>

Twenty-five years ago, Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick created the game that introduced the world to 2D point & click adventure games. Maniac Mansion took the computer game world by storm with its compelling story, complex puzzles, cutting edge humor, engaging game play, and provided an entire generation with a new idea of what an adventure game could be. Blah blah blah...

And now they are back together with an all new 2D point & click adventure game! Ron is skinny again and Gary had that rash looked at — and they're here (finally!) to create the true spiritual successor to Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.