RUMOR: Valve working on 'Steam Box' Gaming Console

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

RUMOR: Valve working on 'Steam Box' Gaming Console

Old 03-04-12, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts
Re: RUMOR: Valve working on 'Steam Box' Gaming Console

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Consoles have historically sold at or below cost to make because they will generate money with every game sold. No one has figured out a way yet to sell a pc at or below cost and still bring in a steady stream of money. Valve might just do it.
The original Xbox was basically a x86 PC, albeit extremely locked down and with a specialized OS.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
That sounds too much like the 3DO. That didn't end well.
The 3DO failed because of the high price and lack of games. The idea of going with an Android or Windows PC based device is that the games will already be there, although they may need to be slightly modified for console play.

Originally Posted by Drexl
...a big problem they would have is a lack of exclusive titles.
They would have PC-only games as their exclusives.

Last edited by Jay G.; 03-04-12 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-04-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just can't see myself giving up my 360 for this.
Old 03-04-12, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I'd be interested in this if I could play pc games from my couch with a controller. I know you can do that with Onlive, but it's sort of a different way of doing it. I want the best possible graphics my tv can handle if I'm going to play from the couch.
Old 03-04-12, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I was thinking.

And a big problem they would have is a lack of exclusive titles. Consoles rely on exclusives to sell hardware, and unless Valve is planning on making their own games exclusive to this console, they may not have any. I don't think they're big enough to buy developers like MS and Sony can, and they have nothing that can sell on the level of Nintendo's Mario or Zelda.
Everyone is reading too much into this. They do not need exclusive titles, they are not going for exclusive titles. They are going for pc games on your home theater, that's it. There are plenty of pc games that are either pc only or the console versions are very poor ports of the pc version. Half life 2 being one of them. While the ps3 one was the worse of the 2, neither were anywhere near as good as the pc version. There are plenty of games like that, namely any game that was built as pc for it's major platform and ported to consoles.
Old 03-04-12, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
They would have PC-only games as their exclusives.
Right, but then they won't truly be exclusive.

Another problem is that a mouse and keyboard setup just doesn't work well in the living room. Look at people who build HTPCs. The vast majority are not sitting on the couch hunched over a mouse and keyboard on the coffee table. No, they have a remote control programmed to work with a 10-foot interface. I think that's a bigger obstacle than the price and sophistication of a PC. Notice how some here are saying they're only interested if they can use a controller.
Old 03-04-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Right, but then they won't truly be exclusive.

Another problem is that a mouse and keyboard setup just doesn't work well in the living room. Look at people who build HTPCs. The vast majority are not sitting on the couch hunched over a mouse and keyboard on the coffee table. No, they have a remote control programmed to work with a 10-foot interface. I think that's a bigger obstacle than the price and sophistication of a PC. Notice how some here are saying they're only interested if they can use a controller.
Well most of the games on steam support a 360 controller config. And the ones that don't could possibly be set up to work with one depending on how well they can make the software to have a controller mimic mouse controls and how easily you can set up the buttons.
Old 03-04-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Gabecube"
Old 03-04-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Well most of the games on steam support a 360 controller config. And the ones that don't could possibly be set up to work with one depending on how well they can make the software to have a controller mimic mouse controls and how easily you can set up the buttons.
There's a software program (xpadder?) that maps mouse and keyboard buttons to your gamepad. I imagine Valve can make a similar program that would work for all their games automatically.
Old 03-04-12, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As long as it has a developer login console in it with the password gnewell
Old 03-05-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83
There's a software program (xpadder?) that maps mouse and keyboard buttons to your gamepad. I imagine Valve can make a similar program that would work for all their games automatically.
A lot of games (for example, anything with the Games for Windows label) also have support built-in for specific controllers like the XBOX 360 controller.
Old 03-05-12, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Almost a year old, maybe they've been thinking about this for awhile.
Old 03-05-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm, I'm not sure I like it if the "D-pad" is going to be buttons like that. I'd hope that's customizable as well. It also looks kinda big.

The modular stuff reminds me of the Phoenix Revolution for PS2:

Old 03-06-12, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

The d-pad looks bad but the modular sticks are a pretty good idea (provided they don't cause any input response issues).
Old 03-06-12, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I'd be interested in this if I could play pc games from my couch with a controller.
You already can. Most HDTVs have DVI inputs and/or most PC graphics cards have HDMI output. Either one will allow you to hook a PC to an HDTV.

Another problem is that a mouse and keyboard setup just doesn't work well in the living room. Look at people who build HTPCs. The vast majority are not sitting on the couch hunched over a mouse and keyboard on the coffee table.
Mouse and keyboard on a TV tray table works well for me.
Old 03-06-12, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
You already can. Most HDTVs have DVI inputs and/or most PC graphics cards have HDMI output. Either one will allow you to hook a PC to an HDTV.

That's how I game. It's great to sit on the couch and crank up the home theater.

And plenty of games work with the 360 controller.
Old 03-06-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

i don't want a mouse and keyboard. plus i want a smaller console sized computer. not some huge computer device.
Old 03-06-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
And plenty of games work with the 360 controller.
Especially those games that are ported over from the 360 (i.e. Call of Duty franchise).

It was a blast playing Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops on a PC and kicking ass using a 360 controller. And that's when I decided just to purchase Modern Warfare 3 for the 360.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 03-06-12 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-06-12, 01:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
i don't want a mouse and keyboard. plus i want a smaller console sized computer. not some huge computer device.
Most PC games in the last four years or so are compatible with the 360 controller.

PCs don't have to be huge. There are mini-towers which are much smaller than the standard PC tower. Actually the compact size is the biggest reasons that modern consoles had such bad failure rates with RROD and all that. These things put out an enormous amount of heat, and having it compacted in a small size is not a good thing. With no room to breathe, the heat is what causes 99% of the RRODs. So having a powerful PC in a small size is a VERY bad idea.
Old 03-06-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

PCs don't have to be huge. There are mini-towers which are much smaller than the standard PC tower.
Matthew Chmiel mentioned the Alienware X51, a console-sized mini-PC, earlier in the thread. This review has pictures that compare the size to an original Xbox 360 and a PS3:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df...are-x51-review

Another option could be the Mac Mini with the dedicated graphics adapter, which is the size of a Wii:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/07/...-2011-mac-mini

There's likely other options out there. There's cases for HTPCs that a meant to look like a typical A/V stackable device, which could possibly be used for gaming.

The main thing is that the compact PCs on the market now are notably more expensive than current consoles (although they tend to be higher powered too). It'll be interesting to see if Valve could make something that's competitive to consoles in terms of price, size, and power.

One thing that could give an edge is that if it's running Windows, it would have access to a lot of video streaming programs right off (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, iTunes, HBO Go, etc.) instead of waiting for custom apps to be built by the providers.
Old 12-09-12, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Update

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/8/37...room-steam-box
Old 12-09-12, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Valve confirmed what was already rumored. What we don't know:
  • Are they going to be selling a pre-built PC dedicated specifically for Steam? Something similar to the Alienware X51 as already mentioned earlier.
  • Are they going to build a custom console themselves and have their own OS (based around Linux) specifically for Steam?
If it's the former, I'm not that excited. I can build my own PC with better hardware for a fraction of the cost.

If it's the latter, I'll pre-order the shit out of it if Half Life 3 is a launch title.
Old 12-09-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd be curious if Valve could get all/most/many games to work reliably if they go with a Linux based OS, given the number of games supported natively is somewhat limited right now in the Steam Linux beta. I'd be afraid if they had to rely on some sort of app similar to the way people currently use Wine to play many games.
Old 12-09-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man, I wish I could spill some beans about this, but I can't. I'll just say, it's going to get interesting over the next couple of years. Yeah, I'm such a tease, .
Old 12-09-12, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see how they could compete with the "dedicated console" option. They're not big enough to sell the thing at a loss, are they?

Also, consoles need strong first-party EXCLUSIVE games. As good as their own games are, they only release about one or two per year. That's not much of a lineup, especially if the games continue to be available on the PC and even other consoles.
Old 12-09-12, 06:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The answer is simple: Merge with Nintendo.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.