DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Assassin's Creed 3 (Xbox, PS3, PC) - October 30th, 2012

I like it a lot, but I haven't played any of the other games in the series
Old 01-27-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

I too enjoyed the game. I really liked building up the Homestead, naval missions/peg leg missions, exploring the tunnels, exploring the frontier, etc. It does take too long though for the game to fully open up, but other than that, I had a great time.

I've played the entire Ezio trilogy also.
Old 01-27-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny. I'm part of the way into Brotherhood, and to be honest, the first three games all have a kind of sameness. Of course, they get more complex as they progress, AC2 is significantly less repetitive than AC1, and combat in Brotherhood is noticeably easier than the previous games—but by and large they seem like basically the same game to me. (As a side note, everyone talks about how much AC2 improved climbing but I didn't notice it. It was already pretty solid in AC1.)

That's fine, I've really enjoyed every game to date. The only part I hated was finding all 420 goddamn flags in the first game.

And if I played Skyrim for over 300 hours, I'm sure I can deal with a few bugs in AC3.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 01-27-13 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-28-13, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

There is a sameness to the series but I can't say I was ever bored except during a ways into AC1 and through the entirety of AC3. And it's not a case of coming from the Ezio trilogy since I actually feel that ACR was the weakest in the Ezio trilogy and I went in directly from that to AC3. And, to be honest, AC3 feels like a steep decline. And I'm not even talking about bugs. The missions, scenario, main character, and story are all boring.

I was looking forward to the homestead stuff (since a similar mechanic was so much fun in Brotherhood (and, to a lesser extent, in AC2) but it left me feeling indifferent. The setting sounded fantastic on paper but is very dull in excecution. I get they wanted to change things up and I appreciate that but the end result was not good at all. And given the devs have been reportedly working on this game for several years (while different teams tackled ACB and ACR), I don't think the devs really deserve much of a break for a weak game.

As for the coaster comments, that's just hyperbole. Of course I know I can ditch it. I just kept at it hoping it'd get fun.
Old 02-20-13, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So apparently a Washington Edition of this is coming out this spring, which will include all of the dlc. What is Ubisoft's history with something like this? Will the dlc be on the disc, or will a download code be provided. If a code is included, I'll just download everything as it comes out and not worry about it.
Old 02-20-13, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
So apparently a Washington Edition of this is coming out this spring, which will include all of the dlc. What is Ubisoft's history with something like this? Will the dlc be on the disc, or will a download code be provided. If a code is included, I'll just download everything as it comes out and not worry about it.
Hmmm if its on disc I am in. Ive barely touched III so I wouldnt be loosing much.
Old 05-07-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That Washington Edition is only coming out in Europe.

I thought the dlc was good, but should have been $20. Episode 2 was my favorite, followed by 3 and 1.
Old 10-09-13, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Steam has Assasin's Creed 3 60 % off till friday $11.99 for standard edition

Deluxe Edition for $23.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208480/

You guys think it's worth it at that price?
Old 10-09-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$12, sure.
Old 10-09-13, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I played AC and the Ezio trilogy religiously. Loved those games.

I put down AC3 about an hour into the game... and never picked it back up again. I was just so bored with it, and too many people were telling it would be a long while before it picked up and got any better.

As soon as I'm done with GTA:V I might give it another whirl... for those of you who completed the game, in retrospect is it as bad as your initial responses?
Old 10-09-13, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, there's no way this franchise can top the Ezio trilogy; character, time, setting, environment, story, etc. That was the epitome of what this franchise can be, and outside of doing something completely different, there's no way to improve on those three games.
Old 10-09-13, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Having finally just finished Revelations yesterday, I'd argue that there are plenty of ways to improve upon that one in particular.
Old 10-09-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Having finally just finished Revelations yesterday, I'd argue that there are plenty of ways to improve upon that one in particular.
I agree. And yet that flawed as hell game is a masterpiece compared to the tedium of AC3.
Old 10-10-13, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
As soon as I'm done with GTA:V I might give it another whirl... for those of you who completed the game, in retrospect is it as bad as your initial responses?
I actually forced myself to finish it (I couldn't help it...I paid (ack) full retail for it so I had to). What I've realized is that the game really got obliterated by bad direction. I mean the director definitely made some bold choices in terms of pacing / story / mechanics....but none of them paid off. And in fact I think that they had the opposite effect for most gamers. It is still very easily the lowest point in the series thus far and why I'm approaching Black Flag with alot of trepidation.
Old 10-10-13, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

This might be the first game in the series that I never even bother playing. I am getting Black Flag though.
Old 10-10-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since I've bought and completed the other ones (except for the hand held versions), I still want to eventually play through this one. I'll wait until it hits $10 for the 360 version.
Old 10-30-13, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I decided to finally finish this piece of crap before I eventually get ACIV and then I end up stuck in this fucking part. What sadist came up with this stupid sequence? And that's on top of the fact that the chase would never have happened if the game let me shoot an arrow at my target from a distance back when it had me track him. And it's not like it's the first time the game has forced me into a pointless action sequence simply because Connor is the most mentally retarded Assassin in the history of the franchise. It's as if he doesn't understand the clandestine part of a clandestine assassination. He always has to charge in and ignore the fact that his bull in a china shop approach never goes well.

I hope, despite the positive reviews, that no one involved in this game was even in the same office where ACIV was written and programmed.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-30-13 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-22-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I managed to avoid most of this thread to avoid possible spoilers, but after being extremely bored and trying to force myself to finish this turd, I figured I would go back to see if maybe it was just me or if others had the same feeling. I'm glad I'm not alone. I've finished all of the other AC games, so I'm forcing myself through this one as well. I haven't done any of the side missions, haven't trained any assassins, did any extra ship stuff, ect. I think I'm in sequence 8 at about 8 hrs in. I'm just trying to finish so I can move on to AC:BF. I'm still running into tons of bugs and glitchy gameplay that you would have figured they would have fixed by now with a major release. I still can't believe this game turned out like this after how much fun the other games were. Oh well, hopefully AC:BF is much better.

On a side note, how was the DLC? Did anyone play it?
Old 08-22-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is still in my backlog. Played just for a couple hours. And of course I got the game on release date.

Old 08-22-14, 08:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I couldn't even finish it. I have finished AC IV either but that's due to lack of time, not lack of interest.
Old 08-22-14, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I managed to avoid most of this thread to avoid possible spoilers, but after being extremely bored and trying to force myself to finish this turd, I figured I would go back to see if maybe it was just me or if others had the same feeling. I'm glad I'm not alone. I've finished all of the other AC games, so I'm forcing myself through this one as well. I haven't done any of the side missions, haven't trained any assassins, did any extra ship stuff, ect. I think I'm in sequence 8 at about 8 hrs in. I'm just trying to finish so I can move on to AC:BF. I'm still running into tons of bugs and glitchy gameplay that you would have figured they would have fixed by now with a major release. I still can't believe this game turned out like this after how much fun the other games were. Oh well, hopefully AC:BF is much better.

On a side note, how was the DLC? Did anyone play it?
Don't worry if you liked the others in the series you'll like Black Flag. I've played them all and 3 is the only one I didn't finish. Like you said, it is a turd. It almost made me pass on Black Flag, but I'm glad it didn't.
Old 08-23-14, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And done! I'll admit, the last 1/3 of the game was pretty good, but I'm not sure I would recommend playing the first 2/3 of the game to play it. I powered through it last night and today to finish, because I knew if I stopped, I wasn't going back to finish. This was also the buggiest game I've played in quite sometime. Last night I hit a bug that turned the entire screen white. And when exiting out to the real world it was blue. I was supper pissed since it auto saved and I couldn't get it back to normal. Finally after restarting the system, everything was normal again. I guess it was worth the $10 I paid for it last year during Black Friday, but I'd be pissed if I paid full price. I'm going to wait another month or two before starting Black Flag on PS4.
Old 10-13-14, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I beat this over the weekend, so I'm caught up with the series (beat Black Flag prior to this). I liked it. Yes, it does take awhile to get going, but once you become adult Connor it's fun. Agreed about the game being buggy though, definitely experienced my share of that.

Anyone play The Tyranny of King Washington? I want to play it, but somehow it's not on sale. Not sure I want to drop $30 for it.
Old 10-13-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Why do you think people consider it the worst n the series? Is it the gameplay that's boring? I'm playing Brotherhood at the moment and working my way up through the series. I'm sorta looking forward to it more than the other AC games due to the American History. Does it do a good job in the story of the American Revolution?
Old 10-15-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of people mention hitting a point in III where they turn it off and never come back to it, but that was Revelations for me. I played an hour, turned it off, and only came back to it about two years later.

I just finished that one. I ultimately enjoyed it more than I thought I would, but I was running on fumes by the end. Then I immediately started III.

It's not a terrible game, but it takes absolutely forever to actually get into the main game. It literally doesn't get into the swing of things until halfway through. It is buggy at times: sometimes NPCs will suddenly appear out of nowhere, guards can sometimes "see" you even when it's not clear how, and there are graphical glitches occasionally. The protagonist is dull and kind of hard to relate to, despite spending the first half of the game trying to help you understand him.

But the main issue I have is the level design. There's very few real opportunities for stealth, both in how the towns are designed, how the guards react, and how the guards are positioned in forts (Templar bases). It might be more realistic, but it's not quite Assassin's Creed as I know it.

It's certainly not all bad. Most of the positive points people cite are fun (building up homestead, ship combat, hunting at least initially). I like Connor's mentor, Achilles, and the villains aren't bad.

It's probably important to note that most of the games have bad parts. AC has incredibly tedious collectible collecting and repetitive missions. Brotherhood had insanely frustrating sync requirements. Revelations had the incredibly tedious Mediterranean Defense side game and inferior villains.

Anyway, I think III is worth playing if you enjoy AC games. Just get to sequence 6 as quickly as possible, and ignore everything else before you get there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.