Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Skylanders, Anyone?

Old 11-06-11, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts
Skylanders, Anyone?

I was as skeptical as any one about this game. It just seemed like a shameless attempt to milk every last dime out of parents (and indeed it may be just that), but my dad just got it for my 5-year old son, along with a few extra figures, and I must say it's really cool. There's something undeniably nifty about picking up an action figure and immediately having it pop up in the game as your playable character. Sure the cynic will correctly point out that all the characters are on the disc and it's like spending $7 for each DLC character to be unlocked. But these are real action figures and my son just loves picking one up and playing him in the game instantaneously. The game itself seems pretty solid for a kids game and he's seeming to really enjoy it without getting frustrated or bored, which is something he's not found with too many games (the more recent Lego games are too difficult for him to solve at this age).
It seems like a great (albeit potentially expensive) way to introduce the young school-aged child into the world of video games.

Anyone else pick this up for their kids, or themselves?

Information on Skylanders Giants Figures (Out 10/21/12):

Originally Posted by Edison
According to post on darkspyro.net (wave 1 from a wholesale list, and wave 2 from EB Games) here are the wave 1 & 2 figures.

WAVE 1 -Launch
> single figure assortment (12 count)
2 x Pop Fizz (new)
2 x Chill (new)
2 x Fright Rider (new)
1 x Zook (reposed)
1 x Whirlwind (reposed)
1 x Terrafin (reposed)
1 x Slam Bam (reposed)
1 x Ignitor (reposed)
1 x Trigger Happy (reposed)

> light core figure assortment (12 count)
4 x Prism Break Lightcore (new)
4 x Drobot Lightcore (new)
4 x Eruptor" Lightcore figures (new)

> giants figure assortment figure assortment (6 count)
2 x Giant Crusher (new)
2 x Giant Bouncer (new)
2 x Giant Swarm (new)

> triple pack assortment (6 count x 10)
3 x Triple pack A
A: 1 x Pop Fizz (new), 1 x Trigger Happy (reposed), 1 x Whirlwind (reposed)
3 x Triple pack B
B: 1 x Chill (new), 1 x Zook (reposed), 1 x Ignitor (reposed)

> battle pack (6 count)
1 x Chop Chop (reposed), 1 x Dragonfire Cannon (new), 1 x Shroomboom (new)

WAVE 2 -Late November
Giants Hot Head
Light Core Jet Vac
Bash S2
Double Trouble S2
Drill Sergeant S2
Flameslinger S2
Hex S2
Sonic Boom S2
Stump Smash S2
Gill Grunt S2
Flashwing
Sprocket
Triple Pack Flashwing/Gill Grunt/Double Trouble
Triple Pack Sprocket/Sonic Boom/ Stump Smash
Here's some images of the new Giants, from DarkSpyro.net

Thumpback, Crusher

Ninjini, Hot Head

Eye-Brawl, Swarm

Tree Rex, Bouncer

And the new regular-sized figures:

Chill, Sprocket

Flashwing, Hot Dog

Fright Rider, Shroomboom

Jet-Vac, Pop Fizz

Full List of Achievements : Here

I'll try and keep this first post updated with important release information

Last edited by Decker; 10-17-12 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-06-11, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Re: Skylanders, Anyone?

I thought about it but then thought again and realized that it would likely suck up more of my living room space with very little use. I did read that the figures actually store the leveling up right inside so you can take them and use them elsewhere. I also read that there are somewhere around 20 additional figures at 20 bucks for each 3 pack. That is a lot of extra loot to spend.
Old 11-06-11, 11:04 PM

Sure, if you want all the figures it would be a fortune. But you don't need them all. There are eight different elements and if you had one from each class, you could open any pathway or gate. Fortunately none of ours overlap so with the three it comes with and the three pack my dad got and the one Target exclusive one I picked up for my son, we already have seven of the eight elements. I'll get him the final one (life) either as a bribe or a stocking stuffer eventually.

Didn't know the figures leveled up and stored that information in their base. That's clever.

Re: space- I don't think it takes up much. The stand is about 4" in diameter and 2" tall. It has a USB cable that plugs into the console. Pretty easy to store away. With our son, we're insisting that when he's done, he puts everything away in his Treasure Box.
Old 11-07-11, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts

I grabbed it as a Christmas gift for my kids. I'm looking forward to checking it out. Reviews seem to echo what you said Decker, that it seems like a shameless cash grab at first, but everyone walks away pleasantly surprised.

The only problem with storing your character/saves in the figure itself is that if the kids lose it, all your progress is gone. Also something I found really cool, but likely won't ever use, is that the figures are platform neutral. You can take your figure that has 360 save data on it to a friend's house who has it on PS3/Wii and still pop it on and play.
Old 11-07-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

The last time I got hooked into something similar was Eye of Judgment, which had a cool concept but after a month or so all those cards went in a bin somewhere. I saw a little bit of this game at the store... basically, you scan your figure in and they have some kind of battle with other creatures from an overhead perspective... is that the entirety of the game?

They were very smart in that they put the game out on all platforms, including portable platforms. I'm a little surprised they didn't go with blind buys for the figures. And how many different sculpts do they have, seems like there's a ton of repeats.
Old 11-07-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a 33 year old man with no children, and I own the Skylanders game, 10 figures, and the add-on pirate level. Shame is not really a concept that I am familiar with.

It's surprisingly good. It's not just the shameless cash grab that it initially appears to be.
Old 11-07-11, 12:07 PM

I read that there's local co-op. How does that work? There doesn't look to be room for two figures to stand on the platform scanner at the same time, so what's the work-around? You don't need two platforms do you? God I hope not.
Old 11-07-11, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's room on there for two figures. Turn on a second controller and you can hit A to join (assuming you're on the 360). Then drop a second figure on the portal.
Old 11-07-11, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
There's room on there for two figures. Turn on a second controller and you can hit A to join (assuming you're on the 360). Then drop a second figure on the portal.
Cool. Thanks for the info. Will have to try that tonight with my son. He'll be so happy that he wont have to stop playing to let his friends play as well.
Last night he was walking around greeting random people by saying "You know what? I have magic toys!".

Last edited by Decker; 11-07-11 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-13-11, 08:35 PM

In the $20 add on set that includes Terrafin (who looks awesome BTW), there is a pirate ship which unlocks a new level and two other things -- a treasure box and a set of swords. It doesn't say on the package what ether of them do in the game. Does anyone know what they do in-game?
Old 11-14-11, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts

So what age would you say this game is good for? My 7 year old son has asked about this game numerous times and points it out every time we are in a game store or toy store. I just chalked up his interest due to the incessant commercials that permeate Cartoon Network. I thought the figures looked a little cartoony and young (like those little Marvel Super Squad or Justice League mini-figures) so I just haven't paid any attention or read any reviews of the game.

He had some dino-extractor game that he used on the computer that appears similar in nature that went down the tubes in support (and his interest) not too long after it was released.
Old 11-14-11, 09:09 AM

I think 7-9 would be the ideal age. My five year old has a little difficulty with the levels as it ramps up after the first few chapters. I think it would be a great Christmas gift for any kid that age who likes video games. My daughter who is 10 and her friends like to play it as well.
Just be prepared to spend a lot of money on extras. It's completable with just the 3 they give you, but you need one from every element (8 in all) to open all the areas.
Unfortuantely, you just missed a good TRU deal with the game last week (free $20 add-on pack with purchase). I think Wal Mart has the Wii version on sale for $50 on BF, but not sure of any other upcoming deals on this game.
Talking to the sales guys in-store, this game is selling really well so I wouldn't be too worried about a lack of support. Can't even find the exclusive Wal Mart figure in stores and the Target exclusive figure is rare too (though we already grabbed that one).
Old 11-14-11, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
In the $20 add on set that includes Terrafin (who looks awesome BTW), there is a pirate ship which unlocks a new level and two other things -- a treasure box and a set of swords. It doesn't say on the package what ether of them do in the game. Does anyone know what they do in-game?
When you activate the swords, they hover around your character for a while and auto-attack anything near you. The treasure chest item will reveal an extra hidden treasure chest within each level.
Old 11-15-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't even find the exclusive Wal Mart figure in stores and the Target exclusive figure is rare too (though we already grabbed that one).
I believe I saw the Walmart one yesterday, some creature with drill arms? What system are you guys playing on?
Old 11-15-11, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Heads up: Toys R Us is going to have B1G1 on all Skylanders packs/figures on Black Friday. They'll have $20 off the game itself too.

I might grab a couple of the 3-packs.
Old 11-15-11, 11:04 AM

Whoa. That would be an awesome deal. Don't know if its worth fighting the Black Friday crowds, or of the two-packs will be available after 5 AM, but I might swing by to look.

And thanks for the heads-up on the Pirate pack, Gramps. Can't believe they don't tell you on the package what you're getting there.

@ Edison : Yes, that's the figure. Haven't found it at any Wal-Mart I've checked lately, but I'm sure they're around somewhere. They're going for like $18 BIN price on eBay.
Old 11-15-11, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

so whatst he 2 player coop like in this game? do the 2 players team up and work on the quests/mission?
the description on amazon made it sound like 2 player is only battle mode and you either fight each other or the computer. i think i might have to get this for my kids
Old 11-15-11, 11:51 AM

No, there is two player local co-op just like the Lego games before they were able to split the screen. The two characters are tethered together if they start wandering too far apart.
Old 11-15-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Whoa. That would be an awesome deal. Don't know if its worth fighting the Black Friday crowds, or of the two-packs will be available after 5 AM, but I might swing by to look.

And thanks for the heads-up on the Pirate pack, Gramps. Can't believe they don't tell you on the package what you're getting there.

@ Edison : Yes, that's the figure. Haven't found it at any Wal-Mart I've checked lately, but I'm sure they're around somewhere. They're going for like $18 BIN price on eBay.
Yeah, I want some, but I'm not getting up at the ass crack of dawn fighting crowds for 'em. I'll head in around noon and if they still have some I'll grab a couple.
Old 11-15-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, there is two player local co-op just like the Lego games before they were able to split the screen. The two characters are tethered together if they start wandering too far apart.
cool. i think i'll pick this up pre-thanksgiving just incase it becomes one of those hard to find xmas items. my kids have never mentioned the game but they like pokemon and stuff like that so i could easily see them being into this.

are there "cute" characters or are they mostly just monsters/tough looking?
Old 11-18-11, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just noticed that Target is going to have the game for $49.99 Sun-Wed (11/20-11/23), so I wouldn't have to fight the bf crowds at TRU/K-mart unless I wanted more figures.
Old 11-18-11, 10:52 AM

... and if you do, they're 2 for $10 at TRU this Sun-Wed. Santa might be making a trip there for some stocking stuffers.
Old 11-18-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

cool. i was just going to order the game today but now i'll just try and get it from target on sunday
Old 11-18-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I think I have decided to get this game for my son for x-mas and going thru all the BF deals, buy one get 40% off, etc. it appears that $50 is the best you are going to see on the game starter pack. The other deals are mainly on the extra figures and sets.
Old 11-20-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.amazon.com/Skylanders-Spy...1803648&sr=8-6

Amazon has price matched the Skylanders BF deal for $50 for all three systems.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.