Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Skylanders, Anyone?

Old 01-16-12, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
Re: Skylanders, Anyone?

It totally scratches that Star Wars collecting itch I had in the 90's. It's all part of the fun.
Old 01-16-12, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Well the 16th rumors were correct. Stopped by Target on the way to work and grabbed the new Whirlwind, Double Trouble & Drill Sargent 3-pack.

They hadn't unboxed them yet, so they let me go through them. They had four boxes. 3 boxes were Adventure packs (looks like 2 Empire of Ice packs per box, 2 Pirate and 2 Darklight), and 1 box of character 3-packs. There were 2 of the new character packs.

They didn't get any singles, so no sign of Cynder, but it looks like he'll also be a part of a new triple pack with Lightning Rod and Zook.
The first Target I stopped at this morning still had the adventure packs, so I grabbed the Empire of Ice. The store associate told me 2 of the area stores had received singles, but after calling them it seemed to be the last wave (Hex, Dino-rang, etc...). The local Wal-marts haven't gotten anything yet (since last week) or it was wiped out quickly, and one of the Best Buys still show 18 coming.
Old 01-16-12, 03:37 PM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts

Went to Best Buy, Target, and Walmart today. Nothing.
Old 01-16-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Got these babies today. Someone is selling a Cynder for over 200 bucks. Only idiots would pay those prices.

The story is that we were driving right in front of a local mall so I decided to call their Gamestop. I asked the guy if they had any Skylanders and he said no but before we ended our conversation the cell lost its connection. I decided to call him back just to let him know that I hadn't hung up on him and while I was talking he said that he had just opened a box that they received and lo and behold those 4 singles were in there. I asked him to hold them and since I was just around the corner he did. It was worth my while to call back and show courtesy. The Empire of Ice pack came from a Target across town and they also held it for me when I called. Today was a lucky day for my daughter. She is getting her birthday presents a month early.
Old 01-16-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally had some success. Just starting out getting them for my boys. My local Target showed that they had various triple-packs "in-stock" online, so I went up there and found empty shelves. The guys in electronics looked the number up for me and found that they had received a case in the back. They were two of the older sets, nothing new, but I'll take what I can get.
Old 01-16-12, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just took a closer look at some of the auctions on Ebay and many of them are just to reserve the figure for when they come in stock. There are people paying 3-10 times as much to reserve a figure the seller doesn't even have in hand yet. What a crock!
Old 01-17-12, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Got these babies today. Someone is selling a Cynder for over 200 bucks. Only idiots would pay those prices.

The story is that we were driving right in front of a local mall so I decided to call their Gamestop. I asked the guy if they had any Skylanders and he said no but before we ended our conversation the cell lost its connection. I decided to call him back just to let him know that I hadn't hung up on him and while I was talking he said that he had just opened a box that they received and lo and behold those 4 singles were in there. I asked him to hold them and since I was just around the corner he did. It was worth my while to call back and show courtesy. The Empire of Ice pack came from a Target across town and they also held it for me when I called. Today was a lucky day for my daughter. She is getting her birthday presents a month early.
Nice. So it seems Gamestop is the only one people are finding Cynder at. I wonder if it's an unofficial/temporary exclusive. I'd much rather get the the triple pack though. Saving a few bucks is always nice.
Old 01-17-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I check my local Targets' inventory online this morning and one about 10 miles away had triple-packs listed as in stock. Because I couldn't get there right away, I figured they'd be gone by mid-morning, but at 10:30 they were still showing up as in-stock so I made the trip. Bingo - they had the Empire of Ice pack and two of the Whirlwind/Drill Sergeant/Double Trouble pack, so I grabbed one each. Since me and my boys are new to this, I had no idea that the second pack was new and going for around $60 on eBay. Maybe I should have grabbed the other one they had!
Old 01-17-12, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Nice. So it seems Gamestop is the only one people are finding Cynder at. I wonder if it's an unofficial/temporary exclusive. I'd much rather get the the triple pack though. Saving a few bucks is always nice.
I'm down for saving some money as well but once those figures were in my hands I was not going back to the calling and hunting for these. I'd gladly give up a few extra bucks to just have them and be done with it. I could probably sell the Cynder by itself and pay for the whole lot of them but I'm not interested in ripping people off.
Old 01-17-12, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts

Target online showed that the store here had some 3-packs. I went by just before noon to be told they *did* have some this morning but "they're gone now". I didn't have enough time to check GameStop and BB even though they are in the same mall.

I got back to the office to find that Amazon had a few back in stock:

Drobot
Bash
VooDood

These 3 currently show to be in stock, but nothing else.

When I saw this I went ahead and ordered Bash and Drobot since we already have at least 1 other character from each 3-pack in which those can be found. With a couple of other recent purchases we're down to needing only Flameslinger, Chop Chop, Wrecking Ball, and Stealth Elf from the initial releases. I'm hoping that those four, Cynder, and the 3-pack with Whirlwind, Drill Sergeant, and Double Trouble show up before long. I can wait though.
Old 01-17-12, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the pokemon people are shitting themselves that they didn't come up with this idea.
Old 01-18-12, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Asked at my BB today and they said they've been back-ordered for 6 weeks but that some should be coming in on Thursday morning. We'll see.
Old 01-18-12, 12:43 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

starter pack is now 49 bucks new all versions at gamestop.com....
Old 01-18-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've been having luck tracking singles here and adventure packs here. Just keep the window open, it refreshes itself every 60 seconds.

I'm not spending $10+ shipping on TRU and some of the other sites. But I have managed to snag a couple singles off Amazon for the proper $8.
Old 01-18-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for posting that link. Very helpful!
Old 01-18-12, 01:22 PM
Cool New Member

Well, I thought I was done getting characters, until my daughter saw the soul gem video for Whirlwind. She fell in love with the rainbow effect. So have been checking the past few days for the Whirlwind, Drill Sergeant, Double Trouble 3-pack. One Target I went to at lunch time, which stated online as in stock, didn't have any 3-packs left. They did receive six 3-packs, with one of them being the Whirlwind pack. The employee said one guy came in first thing and bought four 3-packs, and another person bought the other two. That was within the first hour the store was open. I'd say there inventory system isn't very timely being that 4 hours later it was still stating "in stock" online.

Anyways, I had to run some errands early this morning, so thought I'd check stock online for BestBuy and Target. Best Buy had nothing, but a different Target listed 3-packs in stock. I got there at 7:50 and waited outside the door. I was the only one there and when they opened at 8 went right to the games section to find six 3-packs. Four of them were Stealth Elf, Wrecking Ball, Sonic Boom and the other two Whirlwind, Double Trouble, Drill Sergeant. So it looks like stock is slowly coming around again, it just takes persistence to get what you want.

So the other video my daughter saw that she liked was Camo. Is that one out yet or is it coming in an adventure set?
Old 01-18-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Camo is part of a three pack with Warnado & Ignitor, due out in the Spring along with the Dragon’s Peak Adventure Pack which comes with Sunburn.

*edit - just got through on the TRU Legendary set.

** edit - using zoolert I also managed to snag the final 3 I needed for a full set of released figs so far. (3DS figs excluded)

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 01-18-12 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-18-12, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stopped by about 7 different stores today and finally got lucky at our very last stop. Wal-Mart had only 1 life element so we picked up Stump Smash and we picked up Sonic Boom as well. Now we have 1 of every element. Now to pick up the cooler looking figures here and there as I see them.
Old 01-19-12, 09:29 AM

My frustration at the lack of finding an individual character is finally over. I finally found Sonic Boom for my daughter.

I accidentally got caught up in this skylanders madness through a bone headed move on my part. I bought the game for my kid for X-mas. She wanted Sonic Boom character very badly. She had christmas money to spend.

Shortly after Christmas, we went to Target. They had two Sonic Boom's. I then thought, lets go to best buy and see if they have it, that way I can use my reward zone card to add to my points!

We went to best buy, they didn't have it of course, went right back to target and the sonic booms were gone. I felt tremendous guilt over this.

And ever since I have peeked into Target, Wal mart, Game Stop and Toys r us to see if I can find that damned sonic boom for my kid. Nothing, nada all this time. No way I was gonna pay the outrageous prices on Amazon and ebay for it either.

Finally got it yesterday on amazon for regular price. If I had just bought the damned thing at Target that night, I would have never have known or cared about the lack of in stock items for Skylanders characters. Crazy.

Last edited by Alternative3; 01-19-12 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-19-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a few more characters to get once they release and this will all be over until the next game releases with a whole new slew of them. i guess I have found some fun in it and a little nostalgia taking me back to the days of collecting cards and action coins from slurpees as well as action figures.
Old 01-19-12, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There's still a few left, but I have zero doubt this will quickly be a yearly release so that Activision can run it into the ground like every other popular franchise they've ever touched.

What's left:
Wham-shell
Warnado
Lightning Rod
Sunburn
Zook
Camo
Old 01-19-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Will Ignitor ever see an individual or a 3 pack release?
Old 01-19-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ignitor: Single pack Easter, Triple pack in June.

Source
Old 01-19-12, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So the next three pack and adventure pack are coming out around Easter?
Old 01-19-12, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's what it says.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.