Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Skylanders, Anyone?

Old 01-05-12, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
Re: Skylanders, Anyone?

Stopped in Gamestop at lunch. They just got a shipment (a whopping 6 figs) and hadn't even put them out yet. This "craze" must have really caught Activision off guard. Grabbed Drobot and Sonic Boom.

I still need a fire guy though.
Old 01-05-12, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Stopped in Gamestop at lunch. They just got a shipment (a whopping 6 figs) and hadn't even put them out yet. This "craze" must have really caught Activision off guard. Grabbed Drobot and Sonic Boom.

I still need a fire guy though.
I actually think that Activision knew what they were doing and are still too busy counting their money than getting some more figures out there.
Old 01-06-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My local TRUS received several individual characters today so if you're needing to grab some keep your eyes peeled. There are also like 10 characters or so that haven't even been released yet.
Old 01-06-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is an updated pic with our added characters. Once they're all released it will likely take a panoramic shot to get them all in.

Spoiler:
Old 01-07-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
My local TRUS received several individual characters today so if you're needing to grab some keep your eyes peeled. There are also like 10 characters or so that haven't even been released yet.
Hmm, might have to make a run over there. Too bad they over charge for them.
Old 01-07-12, 11:23 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Here is an updated pic with our added characters. Once they're all released it will likely take a panoramic shot to get them all in.

Spoiler:
Robert Kotick

Old 01-07-12, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm, might have to make a run over there. Too bad they over charge for them.
They have them on sale right now. 2 for 15 plus tax but I'm sure it ends at the end of the day.
Old 01-07-12, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How generous of them to offer a deal that basically makes them SRP.
Old 01-07-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

I was at TRU today and they've changed the price of the individual figures to $9.99 now. They had like 20 Boomers and one Wrecking Balll at my store, along with some of the three packs. I forgot to check what they were charging for those sets.
Old 01-07-12, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How generous of them to offer a deal that basically makes them SRP.
I know but it is either get them for this price or pay exorbitant amount for them online. It seems that TRUS is the only place in my area that has received any stock so far this year. Also, it looks like a handful of new characters will be released in the next week or so with the rest following in the next few months. There are 12 characters that we don't have and only 2 of those have even been released as exclusives.
Old 01-08-12, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I was at TRU today and they've changed the price of the individual figures to $9.99 now. They had like 20 Boomers and one Wrecking Balll at my store, along with some of the three packs. I forgot to check what they were charging for those sets.
As the $9.99 single matches the new online price I'd expect the three packs to be $24.99 as that's what they are charging online for those and the Adventure packs.
Old 01-08-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Wal-mart and other places will still carry the singles for 7.99 and 3-packs for 19.99. I will just avoid getting any figures at TRUS unless they have a deal going on or an exclusive figure.
Old 01-09-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

beat the game this weekend. final boss was a lot easier with 2 people. now i have to go and level up all my characters and find the rest of the secret stuff
Old 01-09-12, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I've read we may not see the release of all the characters until June. That would be a huge mistake in my opinion.
Old 01-09-12, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The more I play, the more I think we have decent enough characters to not have to worry about collecting them all.

So far:

Magic - Spyro (lvl 8) our highest level and pretty powerful
Earth - Dinorang
Water - Zap (seems better than Gil Grunt)
Tech - Trigger Happy (pretty cool leveled up, second to Spyro but Drobot is getting some action lately)

Life - Stealth Elf (not so hot)
Undead - Hex (sucks, but still a lvl 1)
Air - Sonic Boom (haven't opened yet)
Fire - haven't found one yet

So does anyone recommend a better character for the bottom 4 classes? Or should we stick with 'em and upgrade until they are better?
Old 01-09-12, 06:54 PM

Chop Chop is pretty good for undead and I like Flameslinger for fire. My son loves Stump Smash for Life, but I think Stealth Elf is pretty useful and has a health regen which can help out a lot. There's a three pack of Chop Chop, Eruptor (Fire) and Bash (Earth) if you want a set of ones you don't have. I think as long as you have one of each genre, you're fine.
Old 01-09-12, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts

The more I play, the more I think we have decent enough characters to not have to worry about collecting them all.

So far:

Magic - Spyro (lvl 8) our highest level and pretty powerful
Earth - Dinorang
Water - Zap (seems better than Gil Grunt)
Tech - Trigger Happy (pretty cool leveled up, second to Spyro but Drobot is getting some action lately)

Life - Stealth Elf (not so hot)
Undead - Hex (sucks, but still a lvl 1)
Air - Sonic Boom (haven't opened yet)
Fire - haven't found one yet

So does anyone recommend a better character for the bottom 4 classes? Or should we stick with 'em and upgrade until they are better?
We just opened Zap and, as you indicate, it does seem better than Gil Grunt, although the waterjet flying upgrade with Gil Grunt is pretty cool. I love Trigger Happy and play with him quite a bit. That laugh...

On the bottom 4 we do not have any Life characters. I'd wanted to check out the game Christmas before spending too much and didn't order that 3 pack with Stump Smash I'd wanted - hopefully there'll be some stock of either this or Stealth Elf locally soon.

Hex is pretty good once she's been leveled up. Not "great" but sufficient at this point - I believe we have her at level 5 or 6 and I've done a couple of Hero Quests with her. We've also purchased several upgrades which help (these are better then leveling up). I just ordered the Darklight Crypt Pack to get the extra level and Ghost Roaster. Guess we'll find out just how good an Undead character Hex is once that arrives. Of course, it'll be an indeterminate length of time before this occurs as it's on BO from amazon.

For Fire we have Eruptor. He's not bad right now but we just opened him a few days ago and haven't done as much upgrading on him yet. The "standard" alternate attack is pretty cool. The primary attack (shoots flame balls) seems somewhat weak right now but I'm sure that'll change once a few upgrades have been done.

The only Air we have is Sonic Boom. He's *excellent*. Gets better and better as you level up and purchase upgrades. He and Spyro seem similarly equiped - but we've not really done as much with Spyro as with Sonic Boom. Currently, he's the most played character in our collection.

Here's something we found that's quite fun...

If you have the Pirate Adventure Pack you can get the tresure chest bonus over and over and over and over... It works *great* on the "home" landing. When placed on the portal, it'll appear in one of several pre-determined locations, one of which is very close to the upgrade fairy (another is in the ruins in that area). Place and replace the chest on the portal to get the chese in either of those locasions, get the treasure, visit the fairy (or just talk to any other character) and the treasure will be available again - no need to remove and replace the Treasure Chest figure on the portal each time. You can quickly rack up the dough for those upgrades. Another cool thing about this expansion is that once you've travelled to the level with the Pirate Ship you do not have to put the ship back on the portal to re-visit the area. It'll be there every time you play that particular game. You could take the Pirate Ship to a friends house to unlock the area for them and take your ship back home. They'll still have the level any time they want on that game. Of course if they delete that saved game they'll lose the level.
Old 01-09-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Awesome. Thanks a ton Bob. Sounds like I need that treasure chest. I do have a co-worker with the Pirate expansion, so I'll have to hit him up to unlock the level.

Sounds like I need to open Sonic Boom. I've seen Eruptor in stores a few times, but he never struck me as a must have/or even all that cool. I guess I'll hold out on a different "fire."
Old 01-10-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read this thread from time to time, I don't have the game, and I get more scared every time.
Old 01-10-12, 10:03 AM

Heads-up. Amazon is selling a bundle of previously exclusive figures (Whilwind, Drill Sargent and Double Trouble) for $18.27 shipped in 2-3 weeks. Good deal.
Old 01-10-12, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Heads-up. Amazon is selling a bundle of previously exclusive figures (Whilwind, Drill Sargent and Double Trouble) for $18.27 shipped in 2-3 weeks. Good deal.
Yeah, that is supposed to be one of the January release packs. Hopefully that is about the time they show up locally since I was never able to find a Whirlwind.
Old 01-10-12, 10:58 AM

Whirlwind is kinda lame actually. You're better off with Sonic Boom.
Old 01-10-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

stealth elf is great once leveled up; tons of damage.

flame slinger is excellent for fire. once skilled up, he can take out everything on the screen really quickly and also he has a 'run' ability
Old 01-10-12, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Both Toys R Us and Best Buy got a shipment in today. Nothing out of the ordinary, just singles and three packs. None of the expansion packs or new characters(if they did they didn't last until lunch, but it sounded like the guy at TRU just put 'em out).

I did nab Flameslinger, Wrecking Ball and the Eruptor, Bash, & Chop Chop triple pack. After using reward zone certs at both stores I was only out $15, bringing my grand total spent on Skylanders(+ 15 figs) out of pocket to $55. I can live with that.

The Facebook Skylanders page announced the Empire of Ice Adventure Pack yesterday which comes with Slam Bam.
Old 01-10-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Supposedly that new 3 pack comes out on the 16th. We shall see but that is what I have read in more than one place.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.