Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Skylanders, Anyone?

Old 12-30-11, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts
Re: Skylanders, Anyone?

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I find the game to be pretty fun. some characters are better than others (i.e. Gill Grunt sucks). I completed 4 of the heroic challenges to buff my the guy i usually play, Trigger Happy. they were tough but do-able.
Apparently Gill Grunt gets quite awesome once upgraded. Sounds like a lot of the characters do, actually.

I'm way too interested in this stuff.
Old 12-30-11, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We went hunting for more figures today. Most stores were completely out of all but the full game set. We did find a few at one Target we went to though.
Old 12-30-11, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
We went hunting for more figures today. Most stores were completely out of all but the full game set. We did find a few at one Target we went to though.
Which figures did you find? Which ones are you still looking for?
Old 12-30-11, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We got:

Stealth elf
Dinorang
Bash
Ghost roaster
Hex
Boomer (most stores had many of these)
Drobot
Voodood
Wrecking ball
Sonic boom
Zap

Not really looking for anything in particular.
Old 12-30-11, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hex is the only one from your list that we didn't find. They had a few the other day at Best Buy but I foolishly passed on it and now they are gone.
Old 12-30-11, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a list of the characters we have so far:

Spoiler:

MAGIC:
Legendary Spyro (Exclusive)
Spyro
Voodood
Wrecking Ball

EARTH:
Legendary Bash (Exclusive)
Bash
Prism Break
Terrafin
Dino-Rang

WATER:
Gill Grunt
Zap

FIRE:
Flameslinger
Eruptor

TECH:
Trigger Happy
Boomer
Drobot

UNDEAD:
Legendary Chop Chop (Exclusive)
Chop Chop
Ghost Roaster

AIR:
Sonic Boom

LIFE:
Stump Smash
Stealth Elf

CRYPT:
Darklight Crypt
Healing Elixir
Time Twister

PIRATE:
Pirate Seas
Ghost Sword
Hidden Treasure

I have heard that there is a 3 pack coming in the next few weeks with Whirlwind, Drill Sergeant and Double Trouble. Let's hope as those first two were exclusives.

Last edited by dsa_shea; 12-31-11 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-30-11, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Holy shit, that's a lot of figures. I wonder if anyone here got the starter set and never bothered to get any others. It seems like its a pretty addictive collector habit.

How do you use the treasure chest? It never seems to work for me or I'm doing something wrong.
Old 12-30-11, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Holy shit, that's a lot of figures. I wonder if anyone here got the starter set and never bothered to get any others. It seems like its a pretty addictive collector habit.

How do you use the treasure chest? It never seems to work for me or I'm doing something wrong.
I've heard that you can finish the game and Platinum it without purchasing any other characters but you would miss quite a bit of extra stuff. We actually haven't tried the chest yet but as soon as we do I'll let you know what I figure out.
Old 12-31-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts

...How do you use the treasure chest? It never seems to work for me or I'm doing something wrong.
It's pretty straight forward. When you put it on the portal a icon with 3 circles/rings appears lower center on the screen. It works as a sort of radar. The closer to the hidden chest you get the more rings "light up". When all three are lit you move around until you see the "shake" prompt (Wii - don't know what the other systems use - basically what you would see to open a treasure chest). Shake as prompted and the hidden chest will appear and unlock.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 12-31-11 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-31-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I, too, looked at this initially as a sort of "cash grab" but it's turned out to be a quite fun game. Not wanting to drop too much cash I only got the core set and a couple of characters I knew the kids would like. Like many, I underestimated the appeal of this and didn't get a few characters I wanted for a full set of 8. Of course, by the time I realized this it was too late to get them for Christmas and the scalper effect had taken a strong hold. I'm amazed at some of the prices being asked! Are people *really* that stupid? After all, these will all be back in stock at some point - you just have to wait or look around locally. We found quite a few at different stores and Hastings is having a B1G1 this week (although they refused to sell me the 3-packs at B1G1 because the registers hadn't been programmed properly when we went in and they were not pictured - as usual, the GM was out so there were only "managers" and "checkers" so debate/argument was futile... but that's another thread). They had 50 or more in stock and 8-10 different characters including some of the "higher value" ones. The only one I've not found locally that the kids want is Stealth Elf or Stump Smash. I can wait.

One thing that surprised me is how different and fun characters from the same Element can be. I'd initially planned to purchase only 1 of each Element so we could fully complete the game but through sales, etc. we wound up with 2 of many Elements. All have vastly differing attack vectors/powers and it's quite fun discovering the best way and places to use each character. There's *lots* of replayability in simply purchasing a new character and re-playing completed stages to level it up to be better able to help in the higher stages. While the ~$8 per character feels high when all of them are added up it's really low enough to pick up a new one every couple of weeks or so as a reward or allowance bonus type thing. I've become almost addicted to this thing as the kids!
Old 12-31-11, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Something I'm wishing for is that Activision/BOB will create additional games for use with the portal and characters to lower the overall cost. I can see sequel games and characters being made for this much like the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. It'd truly be a shame to have a huge investment in the hardware for this to have it limited to a single game.
Old 12-31-11, 03:29 PM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts

We've got 17 of those little critters:

SKY
Sonic Boom

LIFE
Stump Smash
Stealth Elf

UNDEAD
Chop Chop
Hex

EARTH
Dino-Rang
Bash
Terrafin

FIRE
Eruptor

WATER
Zap
Gill Grunt

MAGIC
Wrecking Ball
Voodood
Spyro

TECH
Drobot
Boomer
Trigger Happy

PIRATE
Pirate Seas
Ghost Sword
Hidden Treasure

We got the MEGA PACK from Best Buy on Black Friday ($80), that came with Pack 1 (Spyro, Trigger Happy, Gill Grunt), Pack 2 (Eruptor, Chop Chop, Bash), and the Pirate Pack (w/ Terrafin, Pirate Ship, Treasure Chest, Pirate Swords).

Then the kids used their Christmas $$$ to get Pack 3 (Wrecking Ball, Stealth Elf, Sonic Boom - $20 from Amazon) and Pack 4 (Zap, Hex, Dino Rang - $20 from Walmart) and some singles (Boomer, Voodood, Drobot, and Stump Smash - $8 each from Walmart/Target/Best Buy).

The kids are loving the game and leveling up the critters like crazy! Even my 5yo daughter plays it decently (with some guidance).

I'd like to get the Crypt and the rumored Volcano pack some day. I think that this series has a lot of "Rock Band"-like potential (as was stated above).

It's worth it for us.
Old 12-31-11, 04:48 PM

Let's see:

Sky
Sonic Boom
Whirlwind

Life
Stump Smash
Stealth Elf

Undead
Chop Chop

Earth
Bash
Terrafin

Fire
Eruptor
Flameslinger

Water
Gill Grunt
Zap

Magic
Spyro

Tech
Drobot
Trigger Happy

plus Pirate Seas, Ghost Swords and Hidden Treasures.

So we're very close there, I guess.
Old 12-31-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They really need to add an online element to this game to at least allow online co-op or online battles.
An online battle arena would be cool.
Old 01-01-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm amazed how every store around me is completely wiped out of every single figure.. I'm sure glad my wife got a bunch of extra figures for me when she bought the game.
Old 01-03-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We got our 3 pack in today from Amazon containing Wrecking Ball, Stealth Elf and Sonic Boom. I decided to check Amazon before I opened it and see that this set is going for a minimum of 90 bucks. It is tempting but who is really going to pay that much for this? I guess there are stupid people out there but I just don't think I could rip someone off like that.
Old 01-03-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
We got our 3 pack in today from Amazon containing Wrecking Ball, Stealth Elf and Sonic Boom. I decided to check Amazon before I opened it and see that this set is going for a minimum of 90 bucks. It is tempting but who is really going to pay that much for this? I guess there are stupid people out there but I just don't think I could rip someone off like that.
I can. I'll buy it from you for cost, then resell it. Sound good?
Old 01-03-12, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I can. I'll buy it from you for cost, then resell it. Sound good?
lol! No! I already opened it and my daughter is getting ready to put them to use.
Old 01-03-12, 06:49 PM

I get what you were saying, shea. It's one thing to gouge some idiot who wants to overpay for an Amazon pre-order code. It's another to take advantage of a parent who just wants to make their kid happy. I'm with you on that....though I still haven't given my boy the still-sealed Sonic Boom I bought for him.

BTW : My son went back to school wearing his Skylander T-shirt his aunt got him for Christmas. He loves it and I think it looks great on him.

Old 01-03-12, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An idiot is an idiot, imo. Like the dude who bought my ipod touch when they first came out...because I got mine 2 days early, he was willing to spend $200 more just to have it. I was willing to part with it and wait 2 more days.
Old 01-03-12, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts

Gotta love the idiots. I think my best score off ebay idiots was dumping the "rare" Wii component cables at launch for $175. That more than paid for my own set a few weeks later at the normal $30.
Old 01-03-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts

I sold a PS2 right after they launched for $600 bucks. Didn't feel bad about it at all. Some guy in England bought it for his nephew in the States. I shipped it to the nephew and he got it before Xmas. Everyone was happy.

And I managed to get that Stealth Elf/Sonic Boom/Wrecking Ball pack from Target last week. Haven't seen any Skylanders on store shelves since then. Insanity.

Last edited by Draven; 01-03-12 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 09:08 PM

My son ran up to me this evening:
"Dad, guess what Prisim Break poops out? Crystals!"
That should be on the packaging.
Old 01-04-12, 07:41 PM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts

My son ran up to me this evening:
"Dad, guess what Prisim Break poops out? Crystals!"
That should be on the packaging.
When I got Stump Smash my kids couldn't stop laughing: "He pukes acorns!"
Old 01-05-12, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

picked up 2 three packs from two different targets this weekend. hex,zap,dinorang and drobot,flameslinger,stumpsmash

i picked flame slinger to be 'my guy' and levelled him up to 10 and bought all the upgrades.
its tough having to pick which upgrade tree to go; i wonder what i missed out on
i still havent beaten the game; the battle against Kaos is tough

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.