Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Skylanders, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: Skylanders, Anyone?

Originally Posted by wlj
Picked up spyro's adventure for $2.99 used at GameStop. This game is a blast. A lot more fun than superchargers, not quite as good as swap force but very fun. I only have 5 spyro's adventure figs to use but that's a plenty.
To get full level completion you need at least 1 figure from each element. The only way to get 100% completion is to have one of *every* figure made for that game as the game tracks each skylander placed on the portal and uses that number as part of game completion. Fortunately they'd not put alternate colorizations in the game at that time so a recolor is just that, a recolor, but it *will* count towards the overall figures. You can also use the reposes from Giants and they'll show up as a S1 figure. I'm not sure about the reposes of Spyro's Adventures figures from Swap Force or Trap Team as we've not tried them. I was thinking about playing some today and may give it a shot to see.

**EDIT**
I checked. *All* reposes of figures that appeared in Spyro's Adventures will work with that game *except* for those from Superchargers, which aren't actually reposes. I have a couple of the Eon's Elite and they, too, work - just not with the beefed up powers. The character level (up to the 10 max in Spyro's) and gold stored are shown properly.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 02-13-16 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-13-16, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I opened the copy of Superchargers Racing I picked up for the Wii. While it's essentially Mario Kart with Skylanders my grandson and I had a good time playing. I can see it being one of those "We only have 15-20 minutes to play so let's do a race or two" type games. I liked how you only "need" one of each vehicle type to play with 2 player. Each player can use the same vehicle. I thought it might support 4 players as on the two player vehicle selection screen there are slots for *four* different vehicles. I'm not quite sure why they'd do that unless the game remembers the vehicles later. That's something I've not checked.

I'm hoping it gets a bit more challenging in later races as the first few are pretty easy to win 1st place, even using the "clunker" vehicle they provide if you don't have a physical toy for the race type. In all fairness I've only played on "medium" difficulty so far, to get a feel for the game, so "hard" might be the better choice. When my grandson and I were playing a land race and using the provided "clunker" he was complaining about lack of control and I mentioned I'd gotten 1st place with that same vehicle playing solo on "mediium" difficulty. He'd selected "Easy" for that race but I really couldn't tell any difference from when I'd run it on the "medium" setting.

So... Looks like I don't really need 2 vehicles of each type for 2 player mode but will probably get 2 of each simply because that WiiU starter I also purchased comes with 2 land pairs. I've ordered a Stealth Stinger for use with Stealth Elf and picked up a Splatter Splasher to have a boat. That gives me 2 air pairs, 2 land pairs, and 1 water with no pair. I now need Splat for the boat and another water pair. I'm waffling between the Spring Ahead Dive Bomber/Dive Clops and Soda Skimmer/Big Bubble Pop Fizz for the other pair.

**EDIT**
Just got notification from Amazon that the Soda Skimmer/Big Bubble Pop Fizz Dual Pack #3 is available for pre-order. With Prime it's currently selling for $19.99 making it the winner based primarily on price. Since my grandson wants the Spring Ahead Dive Bomber and already owns Missle-Tow Dive Clops I'll leave that for him and he can bring it over occasionally for racing.

Amazon also has the Racing Land Pack available for pre-order. Currently $27.99 w/Prime ($34.99 without). It comes with Double Dare Trigger Happy and the Gold Rusher vehicle (and of course the land trophy). Even though Trigger Happy is a personal favorite character I'm letting this one slide, for me, since the Racing game is so limited with what the figures actually do. I *did* pre-order it for my grandson just in case he wants it to use with his X-Box/One (he has both and the game for both).

**EDIT #2**
I found today that there are Elemental Gates that require a *vehicle* of that element to unlock. Not cool, Activision! That means careful coordination of vehicles to minimize purchases.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 02-14-16 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-13-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I was at TRUS and saw that they have the Wii version of Trap Team for 9.99. That is a steal for the figures and traps even if you don't have the Wii.
Old 02-13-16, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I was at TRUS and saw that they have the Wii version of Trap Team for 9.99. That is a steal for the figures and traps even if you don't have the Wii.
Absolutely! It's worth the purchase even if you already own the game just to have the duplicate figures.
Old 02-14-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Buy 2 get 1 free is now up at Best Buy for Superchargers figures and vehicles. It stacks with the GCU discount. I will likely return and rebuy the 3 figures I bought the other day. Here is a pic of my variant find from the other day.

Spoiler:
Old 02-15-16, 07:53 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea

Damn! i don't have a wii but i would have bought it just for the figs and traps. a while back i bought a wii-u giants starter pack for $5, don't have a wii-u but it was a steal for the 3 figures.
Old 02-15-16, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
Damn! i don't have a wii but i would have bought it just for the figs and traps. a while back i bought a wii-u giants starter pack for $5, don't have a wii-u but it was a steal for the 3 figures.
It's available for that price online also. Plus the Wii versions come with a code to download the Wii U version.
Old 02-15-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few Superchargers vehicles and figures are on sale at Amazon. It looks like a partial PM of the current B2G1 BB deal.

$10 vehicles
Crypt Crusher
Sea Shadow
Shield Striker
Sky Slicer
Splatter Splasher

$10 figures
Big Bubble Pop Fizz
Dive Clops
Frightful Fiesta (actually $8.24 w/Prime from a MP vendor - $11.14 from Amazon)
High Volt ($10.20 - was just under $6 a few days back)
Shark Shooter Terrafin
Smash Hit
Splat
Stormblade

Several MP vendors have Nitro Stealth Stinger for $16.49 w/Prime. That's about what it'd cost me for one from Target with tax and I wouldn't have to go to Target to pick it up.

The best "deal" seems to be the "Amazon Exclusive: Skylanders Superchargers: Fly, Dive, Drive Toy Bundle" for $40.91 (at the time of this post). It includes the Racing Sea Pack (Deep Dive Gill Grunt, Reef Ripper, and Sea Trophy), Terrafin Dual Pack (Shark Shooter Terrafin and Shark Tank), and Jet Vac Dual Pack (Hurricane Jet-Vac and Jet Stream).
Old 02-20-16, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My grandson and I played almost all of Superchargers Racing today. He has two of the trophies which allowed us to play more of the paywall locked content. I have to say that overall it's a pretty "meh" game. There's lots of repetitiveness with level design and the racing is mostly easy, even at the "hard" level. Elemental gates typically unlock a "challenge" type level *not* of the element needed to unlock the gate(!?!), all of which repeat throughout the game. They try to force purchase of the entire library of vehicles with the gates and power-ups but the vehicle variety playing the levels is rather insignificant (my grandson has vehicles of all the elements so we were able to unlock everything). With little practice you can beat the levels, even on "hard," using the "loaner" vehicles. With a cost of at least $200, assuming $10 per vehicle/character, to purchase this version of the game and open all the gates it's vastly overpriced for what you actually get. This one should only require the 3 different vehicle types, air - water - land, to fully complete but would still be overpriced with purchase of the game and extras for that simple requirement. Mario Kart is a far better investment.
Old 02-22-16, 06:56 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look if you have a few minutes. My 3 favorite Skylanders, what are yours?
Old 03-02-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gamestop is having another "Skylanders Day" this Saturday, March 5th.

Free poster with any Skylanders purchase.
Regular Superchargers starter packs - $29.99
Dark Superchargers starter packs - $69.99
Get *two* free Ion's Elite figures with a Superchargers starter purchase

Superchargers characters and vehicles are B1G1 Free, including the new Spring/Easter and Power Blue variants.

Combo and Action packs are half price. And I just purchased that Trigger Happy Action Pack for my grandson from Amazon for ~$27. It's tempting to send it back to get one from Gamestop for $17.49.

Full ad in spoiler.
Spoiler:

Old 03-05-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We picked up all of this for about 65 bucks total:
Wii U starter pack. (My daughter really wanted the Kong figure and vehicle and has a Wii U.)
Eon's Elite Gill Grunt (Free)
Eon's Elite Trigger Happy (Free)
Power Blue Trigger Happy
Power Blue Splat
Power Blue Splatter Splasher
Spring Ahead Dive Bomber

We also picked up the Trigger Happy character and vehicle pack for right at 19 bucks after tax.

I will post a pick of the haul. I am really thinking about making Skylanders day be my entry day for the next game in the series.
Old 03-13-16, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best Buy has the Superchargers starter packs for $29.99($23.99 w/ GCU) plus a free Trap Team starter pack is included with purchase. Supercharger chars are BOGO.

Target has the Superchargers starter packs for $29.99 this week plus a 50% Cartwheel coupon making these $14.99. There are also some 50% off Cartwheel coupons on select double packs and single chars.
Old 03-14-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

$29.99 is the new MSRP. Been advertising it on TV.
Old 03-14-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Superchargers line seems to be constantly on sale somewhere. I don't think the previous editions had dropped this much by this time in their sales cycle. Even older Skylanders games and figures seem to be, mostly, selling for much less these days with lots of "Fire Sale" type prices on product.

One of the WM here no longer stocks *any* Skylanders product and the other has very little.

Disney Infinity and Lego are also frequently on sale, but not to such a great degree as are the Skylanders, at least from what I've noticed. Those same two WM stores also have very little Infinity and/or Lego product in stock. Are those two still selling elsewhere?

It certainly appears that much of the luster is off the "Toys to life" video game lines, especially with Skylanders.
Old 03-17-16, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Earlier there were questions and talk about portal compatibility. Today I discovered that the *only* portal that works with Trap Team is the Trap Team portal. I'd picked up a couple of new figures and used Trap Team to verify they would be read properly (it was the first Skylanders game I saw). I connected the Superchargers portal since I was planning to use it exclusively based on earlier information (and because it doesn't "talk" which I find annoying with Trap Team) only to have the game tell me there was a "incompatible portal connected."

I looked up the portal information again to discover this was true and not a defective portal issue. The Superchargers portal will *not* work with Trap Team but *will* work with every other Skylanders game.

If you only want to use *one* portal it MUST be the Trap Team portal as it works with every released Skylanders game to date, even Superchargers (I verified this earlier).

Here's a good site for figure/game information with a link to the Superchargers portal compatibility section of the site:

http://skylanderscharacterlist.com/g...compatibility/
Old 03-18-16, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just need them to make one master portal and stick to it.
Old 03-19-16, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Picked up Missle-Tow Dive Clops and Eggcited Thrillipede yesterday at Best Buy. Had to get an override to take advantage of the BOGO offer. Wound up buying the starter pack for the XO earlier this week at Target since it was only $15 and gave me the Spitfire and Hot Streak char & vehicle that I did not have. I figured for the extra couple of $$ it would cost me to buy both at Best Buy during their BOGO sale(including GCU) it was worth it for the XO game disc, portal and another Stealth Ninja figure.

I also found and bought one of the land racing packs for $8.74 at Target, plus four other char/vehicles(Hurricane Jet-Vac, Big Bubble Pop Fizz, Dive Bomber and Jet Stream) for $3.75 & $3.25 each. Just leaves me looking for deals on the Soda Skimmer and Buzz Wing(whenever it releases) vehicles. I bought a lot more than I planned on for this game, but that was all due to the deals that have been out there.
Old 03-19-16, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
Picked up Missle-Tow Dive Clops and Eggcited Thrillipede yesterday at Best Buy. Had to get an override to take advantage of the BOGO offer. Wound up buying the starter pack for the XO earlier this week at Target since it was only $15 and gave me the Spitfire and Hot Streak char & vehicle that I did not have. I figured for the extra couple of $$ it would cost me to buy both at Best Buy during their BOGO sale(including GCU) it was worth it for the XO game disc, portal and another Stealth Ninja figure.

I also found and bought one of the land racing packs for $8.74 at Target, plus four other char/vehicles(Hurricane Jet-Vac, Big Bubble Pop Fizz, Dive Bomber and Jet Stream) for $3.75 & $3.25 each. Just leaves me looking for deals on the Soda Skimmer and Buzz Wing(whenever it releases) vehicles. I bought a lot more than I planned on for this game, but that was all due to the deals that have been out there.
The pop fizz dual pack with Soda Skimmer is only $5.44 on Amazon right now
Old 03-19-16, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVDChris
The pop fizz dual pack with Soda Skimmer is only $5.44 on Amazon right now
Wow! I missed that price but did pick one up for $9.95, which I thought very good 'til I saw your post.
Old 03-19-16, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Wow! I missed that price but did pick one up for $9.95, which I thought very good 'til I saw your post.
Missed out on it also. But considering I don't have Prime, by the time shipping is added I probably wouldn't be saving much over just buying the Soda Skimmer separately via some deal elsewhere.
Old 03-19-16, 05:41 PM

Targets here still have plenty of their exclusive Nitro Soda Skimmer. It didn't work with the Cartwheel for some reason (even though the Nitro Stealth Stinger did), but it was on sale for 6.49 like the rest of the vehicles, so I bought it anyway (tried to argue with the lady that it should be part of the cartwheel promotion, but no dice there).
Old 03-24-16, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^The Target here has *no* Nitro Soda Skimmer vehicles in stock (verified in person as well as with brickseek.com). I thought I might pick one up for my grandson but it's no dice. I'm guessing they either sold out a meager stock or just didn't get but a few after being "stuck" with dozens of Nitro Head Rush last year. Of course at ~$6.50 each I can see the whorders buying them all to sell at inflated prices online. They're currently available from several MP vendors at Amazon with Prime shipping at ~$12. While not exactly gouging it *does* sound like some scooped them up with sales/promotions and are happy with a couple $$ profit each.

While looking to see if Activision will have another Skylanders game this year I read the sales of Superchargers were lower than projected. They (Activision) blamed the Disney and Lego games saying they took sales away. Having played the game I'd also blame the vehicles a bit - they just don't bring anything "new" or exciting to the game and, from my limited play time, the "driving" segments interrupt the game so much/often as to be annoying. Being a Wii owner I'd say they also underestimated just how much of their sales come from that aging platform as well as the DS. At least with the prior games the DS version was a real game, unlike the rather lame Mario Kart rip-off they, and Wii owners, got this year.
Old 03-24-16, 01:42 PM

I know I didn't say anything until Saturday, when the promo was almost over, but if you had said something last week, I would have grabbed one for you.
Old 03-25-16, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I know I didn't say anything until Saturday, when the promo was almost over, but if you had said something last week, I would have grabbed one for you.
I appreciate it, but it's not a problem - plus I didn't know until this week. I'd assumed they'd have "tons" of 'em in stock and was in no rush.

At currently $12 shipped (Prime) I'm OK with that price and I'll do a "slow boat" shipping for a $1 digital credit (I've "purchased" a couple of dozen films with those). I snagged him a $4.75 copy of Birthday Bash Big Bubble Pop Fizz from Amazon and with the vehicle the combined total is roughly the price I'd have paid at Target for both with sales tax and cost of gas to get there and home again added in plus I'll net $2 in digital credits.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.