Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Skylanders, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Skylanders, Anyone?

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I was thinking the "Red Hot Tussle Sprout" TRU exclusive Earth Trap Pre-Captured Villian was going to be in that Easter themed trap. I found a picture today which shows that to not be the case. Here's the image:

They don't yet have this listed on their site but it's supposed to be in stores.

My "project" this evening is to check the in-game stats on the Easter Mini characters and see if that re-color job trap is anything special. I'm thinking it's nothing more than a recolor job - just like the TRU "Legendary" Traps (what a rip off those were!).
I picked up that Earth Trap just a couple of days ago. As I mentioned a couple of post up, they had a Buy a Water Trap and another Trap for $1. The store I went to had next to nothing in Traps other than water and the above Earth Traps. They had 1 of the new Life Sword Traps, but other than that it was pretty nil.
Old 03-23-15, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Here are the results of the character powers check on Eggsellent Weeruptor and Power Punch Pet Vac.

They each have a starting Elemental Power of 39. The "regular" edition characters start at 25.

That's the *only* difference between the Easter paint variant and the regular characters - well also the name and that they appear in-game with the alternate paint job. BUT the alt paint on Power Punch Pet Vac doesn't match the character fully. In-game is the "pre-release" paint job. The ones in the package have black torso, arms, and legs with *red* sholder protectors, helment, and belt - basically matching Full Blast Jet Vac colors/paint. I think it's a bit cooler looking than the in-game version.

*All* other stats are identical to the non-Easter ones. Basically - no need to get these at all unless you just *have* to have all the variants.

I couldn't get the trap to register while it was in the package and I don't want to open it yet but fully expect it to look like a normal Upsidedown Guy Trap once it's placed in the portal.

Here are the "original" and "updated" paint jobs on Power Punch Pet Vac:

Spoiler:

Updated version

Original (and in-game) version

If these had some different stats I *might* be interested but not for what is essentially just a paint job. I'm sure my grandson will still want to keep a set as he's already said he likes the paint jobs better.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 03-23-15 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-24-15, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon has the 2 new Trap 3-Packs as well as individual Light and Dark Traps.

The Light and Dark are going in/out of stock regularly so keep your eyes open for those. They also have implemented a 1 per account limit on those two. While I generally like this, as it helps keep vultures out, I found it limiting as I really wanted to get a couple of each so both my grandson and I would have copies (I *know* he wants a Dark Trap but he has the Gamestop limited edition Light Trap).

As a side observation - I just don't understand the continued high pricing for the Kaos Trap, especially now that it's in a $15 3-pack which has been in stock since it was first listed. I expect that 3 pack will be widely available and easily found.

So far no Wave 4 characters...
Old 03-24-15, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best Buy has Trap Masters Knight Light and Knight Mare listed as available for shipping at $5.99 each. I am assuming this is a pricing error, but I put in an order regardless. Came out to just a tick over $10 after GCU for both.
Old 03-24-15, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

damn, Knight light already out. Got Knight Mare though. Thanks
Old 03-24-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

If you buy them separately, you miss out on getting the expansions that they're usually packed with, right?

Hmm... kaos trap is in stock at my local best buy for in store pickup. Worth a try.

edited to add: and, no it's not. Liars. It does show as available in stores within 20 miles, though, so maybe they're finally replenishing?
Old 03-24-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I picked up the Trap Masters: Short Cut and Lightning Bolt and the Easter trap at Best Buy.
Old 03-24-15, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
Best Buy has Trap Masters Knight Light and Knight Mare listed as available for shipping at $5.99 each. I am assuming this is a pricing error, but I put in an order regardless. Came out to just a tick over $10 after GCU for both.
And already got a shipping notice on both.

Originally Posted by fujishig
If you buy them separately, you miss out on getting the expansions that they're usually packed with, right?

Hmm... kaos trap is in stock at my local best buy for in store pickup. Worth a try.

edited to add: and, no it's not. Liars. It does show as available in stores within 20 miles, though, so maybe they're finally replenishing?
That is what I am wondering also, but I figured I would buy now at this price and return or gift them if the expansion sets ever become available again.

Also wanted to add, I stopped by Best Buy today and they had quite a few traps in stock, but no Kaos or Easter ones. None of the new Traps Masters or figures were out either. I did find a Winterfest Lob-Star for $7.99. Picked it up and paid $6.80 after GCU.

Walked into Target which is right next door and they had none of the new wave either. I picked up an Air trap for $3.80 after Cartwheel coupon.

Last edited by darkdaze73; 03-24-15 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-24-15, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
It's been reported on CAG, that this is actually for the light and dark traps, not the trapmasters.
Old 03-25-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig

I was shocked when I went into the local store yesterday and they had Kaos traps on the shelf, but no Easter or new figures at all.
Old 03-26-15, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVDChris
It's been reported on CAG, that this is actually for the light and dark traps, not the trapmasters.
Mine were delivered today. I was hoping it was for the trap masters but I did receive traps instead.

Light = rocket
Dark = bunny

I stopped by the same Best Buy I went to the other day and noticed they had the wave 4 trap masters out. They only had one of each other than Thunderbolt.
Old 03-26-15, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Amazon has the light and dark expansion packs now. Well, they've been going in and out of stock the past few days. BB has it but only for store pickup, which is a no go around here. I really wanted to wait for GCU but oh well:

http://www.amazon.com/Skylanders-Tra...ders+expansion

http://www.amazon.com/Skylanders-Tra...ders+expansion
Old 03-26-15, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

is there any point in keeping the light and dark traps if you don't have the respective expansions?
Old 03-26-15, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
is there any point in keeping the light and dark traps if you don't have the respective expansions?
Yes, as there are some light and dark bosses to trap throughout the storyline.
Old 03-26-15, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got my two Blackout figures in the mail from Best Buy. They look pretty cool. Just a few more figures to go and maybe a couple more traps to wrap this up and possibly put a nail in the Skylanders coffin for us.
Old 03-26-15, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon currently has *all* the Wave 4 characters in stock. The 2 Trap Masters and 6 regular characters. All are on the normal order page for the respective character type.
Old 03-26-15, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Amazon currently has *all* the Wave 4 characters in stock. The 2 Trap Masters and 6 regular characters. All are on the normal order page for the respective character type.
Thanks for the heads up as I ordered: Spotlight, Bat Spin, High Five, Rocky Roll and Echo. I have read that there is only one Echo per shipped box so it seems like she might be one of the harder to get ones. I also read that Ka-Boom is scarce so grab him if you don't already have him.
Old 03-27-15, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Thanks for the heads up as I ordered: Spotlight, Bat Spin, High Five, Rocky Roll and Echo. I have read that there is only one Echo per shipped box so it seems like she might be one of the harder to get ones. I also read that Ka-Boom is scarce so grab him if you don't already have him.
I haven't had any problems finding Ka-Boom. I believe my local store had a couple of them the other day.

I found some Swap Force figures at Five Below yesterday. They had about a half a dozen different ones there.
Old 03-27-15, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Interesting... I ordered 1 of each "just in case" so we have a Echo. I almost didn't order that one as I can't decide if it's "cute" of just plain "ugly." It *is* somewhat odd looking. Of course I should really look at how it plays first, eh?

Since my grandson doesn't have a full set at his house I try to keep up with what's in stock at Amazon in case he decides he wants a new character. Amazon has had Ka-Boom in stock pretty steady for a couple of months. The ones I see there which are OOS the most are Krypt King, Wildfire, and Wallop (although Wallop came back in stock a week or so back and hasn't gone OOS yet). I'd ordered a Wallop from TRU during a pre-release B1G1 40% off sale and picked up Krypt King BF week. Both of those have been almost constantly OOS at TRU and Amazon since last December. I waited on Wildfire until I'd played with the Dark version and liked the character so much I picked up the regular one - but I had to monitor a few weeks as it, too, was constantly OOS and has sporadically been in stock since.

Almost *all* characters are in short supply locally (except for Gamestop who seems to have fairly good stock but higher prices that I will not pay). About the only characters you'll consistently find on the shelves here is Head Rush and Lob Star. WM is a constant source of frustration as they'll get a few and then have a long dry spell, although one store here *does* have a fair selection of *regular* Swap Force and Giants characters. Target is overrun with Head Rush and Nitro Head Rush characters. I rarely venture into BB (it's a frustrating experience almost every time) so don't know what they may have.
Old 03-27-15, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Are they done with the three packs now? I remember in earlier series you could get most (but not all) non exclusives in the three packs and save a little money, but it seems like that changed a bit with Swap Force, and now with Trap Team I only remember seeing two or three three packs (not including the expansions).
Old 03-27-15, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^I've read there were possibly going to be a couple more 3-packs in the US but nothing really firm. So far there have been only 2 in the US.

Europe got 2 (additional?) in wave 3:

Cobra Cadabra/Bat Spin/Hog Wild Fryno
High Five/Trail Blazer/Jet-Vac

Since they're already "done" I can see them being released in the US but with most characters in those packs being from Wave 3 I don't see much of a point to the release.

I've almost been burned waiting for a bargain so I now just order stuff when I see it rather than wait. It paid off with last year's Easter Edition characters as Swap Force Punk Shock only came out in that packaging. I ordered one early "just because" and expected her to get a "normal" package release but it never happened and she sold out fairly quickly. Scratch and Fire Bone Hot Dog are others I ordered as soon as they were released that sold out quickly and now command high prices. If what dsa_shea read about Echo is true it would pay not to wait. I've pretty much stopped second guessing and waiting for "sales" to save a couple of $$ as it just doesn't seem to pay off that often with this franchise.
Old 03-27-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ran by the larger of the 2 WM Supercenter's here at lunch to get a few things for my wife. Of course I looked at the Skylanders. They had a couple of the Sunscraper Spire expansion packs, a Short Cut, Rocky Roll, Bat Spin (1 of each) and *one* water trap.
Old 03-27-15, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Went by a different Target today and found the 2 2015 Easter figures but not the trap. I also found 1 Echo and 3 of the Punk Shock 2014 Easter Edition. I went ahead and bought the Echo and 1 of the Punk Shock figures. They also had 2 Bat Spin figures but I decided to pass on that one for today. I'll go back to Target next week and see if I can get a price adjustment since they will be on sale.

I also ran into a WM today hoping to find an extra Gold Mario Amiibo(yeah right). They had nothing out of the ordinary of than a couple of Winterfest Lob-Stars.
Old 03-29-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ran by Target this morning to see if any of the Wave 4 characters were out. Nope - nothing. They had *4* of the Easter Power Punch Pet Vac character and none of the others. I may run by later this week to check again. Best Buy wasn't open at the time I went by so I couldn't check there.
Old 04-01-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ran by the larger WM here mid-morning (looking for sidewalk paint for the grandkids) and, of course, detoured to the Skylanders section. Eureka! They had *all* the new traps in *single* package form - including 3 or 4 Kaos traps! I snagged one each of the ones I didn't purchase in the new 3-packs as well as a couple of the Dark Sword traps (since Amazon was so kind as to send the Dark Upside Down Guy/Rabbit/Hand-Stand Man/whatever else it's called rather than the Sword shown) - one for me and one for my grandson (he's lusted after that one since I showed him the Amazon page). They had a couple of the new characters apparently still unsold from previously but no restock on them.

I'll be running by Target on the way to the LCS this afternoon. Partly to get a price adjustment on those Easter characters/traps I picked up last week as well as to see if they have any of the new stuff. I'm hoping they do since they're running them on sale this week (it's a shame it's a % off or I'd have just gotten a PM at WM).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.