Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Grand Theft Auto 5 to a V

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'd sacrifice a day or two for $15
I TOOK THE DAY OFF TO PLAY IT!!!

Okay, that's a lie. I took the day off to talk to mortgage companies about buying a house. However, I could've already had about two or three hours of play time in so far.

Originally Posted by Music
I can almost guarantee that you will not get the PS4 on 11/14.
I meant the 15th. Amazon can ship it to me from the future, right?
Old 09-17-13, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
There's multiple warehouses in Nevada. Despite what Amazon mentions, Vegas has two. One in North Las Vegas which has been there for at least two-to-three years and they just opened a warehouse recently near McCarran. I know this because I work in the general area and I was also trying to get my unemployed stepdad a job there.

If I don't get the PS4 and XO on 11/14 and 11/22, there's going to be Jewish lightning happening up in there motherfuckin' warehouse.
But is it the warehouse's fault or the shipping company? I find most of your complaining quite trite. I will agree with you it's annoying but I mean, come on drive somewhere and buy it.
Old 09-17-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
But is it the warehouse's fault or the shipping company? I find most of your complaining quite trite.
It's Amazon's problem. As a consumer, I purchased the item under the notion that I would have release date delivery. That's false advertising, plain and simple. If they knew they weren't going to get my copy out into me in time, there should've been forewarning.

If Amazon can ship copies out to starting at the end of last week, where's mine? I have no problems when Amazon ships out product on Monday using FedEx or UPS. That's always next day delivery regardless if I use two-day shipping or bump it up to one-day for $3.99. However, shipping it USPS has guaranteed I'll get the package in a week or I don't get it at all because USPS sucks.

Up until last week, I loved Amazon. I've never had issues with the service in the years I've been a Prime member. However, the past week has sucked in regards to getting video games on time. Also, no tax for now and I'm a Jew.
Old 09-17-13, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Matthew also said that your face is trite!
Old 09-17-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

My custom car complete with plate just showed up. Got a text saying it was in my driveway.
Old 09-17-13, 08:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Did someone say the driving controls were improved in this? I'm not seeing it so far. Failed the first racing mission 4 times in a row because the pavement might as well be Super Mario-style ice. Less than 2 hours in and I'm already super-irritated with AI drivers constantly pulling or even swerving straight into my path.
Agreed. I'm slip sliding all over the place. I hope this gets improved with handling upgrades from auto shops.
Old 09-17-13, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
It's Amazon's problem. As a consumer, I purchased the item under the notion that I would have release date delivery. That's false advertising, plain and simple. If they knew they weren't going to get my copy out into me in time, there should've been forewarning.

If Amazon can ship copies out to starting at the end of last week, where's mine? I have no problems when Amazon ships out product on Monday using FedEx or UPS. That's always next day delivery regardless if I use two-day shipping or bump it up to one-day for $3.99. However, shipping it USPS has guaranteed I'll get the package in a week or I don't get it at all because USPS sucks.

Up until last week, I loved Amazon. I've never had issues with the service in the years I've been a Prime member. However, the past week has sucked in regards to getting video games on time. Also, no tax for now and I'm a Jew.
Amazon shouldn't have an issue getting this stuff to people on release day. For pre-orders, they should know where to have their stock for delivery.

For example, my copy had to sitting in the San Bernadino warehouse, since it didn't ship until 2AM this morning. That's how it should work, and it's how it should have worked for you. With as many warehouse and distribution centers that they have, it should never be an issue.

As for me, my copy finally arrived after 11 hours bouncing around town.
Old 09-17-13, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Did someone say the driving controls were improved in this? I'm not seeing it so far. Failed the first racing mission 4 times in a row because the pavement might as well be Super Mario-style ice. Less than 2 hours in and I'm already super-irritated with AI drivers constantly pulling or even swerving straight into my path.
But if you're using Franklin in the races you can slow down time at the sharp turns. Once i realized he can do that the races became much easier.
Old 09-17-13, 09:17 PM
Banned by request

Good handling shouldn't be a special ability.
Old 09-17-13, 09:50 PM
Suspended

Wife picked up the ps3/gta5 bundle today. Not sure when I'll get a chance to play it.
Old 09-17-13, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
My custom car complete with plate just showed up. Got a text saying it was in my driveway.
Yep, same here. I just wish I had known that I could have maxed everything on the car out since it would all be free. The app made it seem like it was going to cost for adding stuff.
Old 09-17-13, 10:12 PM
Banned by request

I assumed that they would deduct the cost from my starting amount or something, so I maxed it out. Then I discovered it was free.
Old 09-17-13, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spent too much money in the strip club
Old 09-17-13, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think you can drive trains

One of the more fun things to do in San Andreas. I hope they add it later.
Old 09-17-13, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

‘GTA V’ A Sophisticated Gaming Experience, Says Man Who Spent 3 Hours Running Over Homeless People With Fire Truck
DAYTON, OH—Calling the latest installment of the video game franchise “complex” and “highly nuanced,” local man Kevin Mitchell, who just spent the past 3 hours brutally driving over homeless characters with a stolen fire truck, confirmed Tuesday that Grand Theft Auto V provides a deeply sophisticated gaming experience. “The narrative is dynamic and multilayered, the characterizations are brilliantly assured, and the vast open-world experience creates a style of play that is both revolutionary in design and intellectually stimulating,” Mitchell told reporters, moments before making his in-game character block traffic with a bus to create a 10-car pileup in the middle of the street, toss grenades at unsuspecting pedestrians while standing on top of an ambulance, and jump off a building into the spinning blades of a helicopter. “And nowhere is GTA V more groundbreaking than when it is deftly skewering the vices and follies of contemporary culture with its razor-sharp social commentary.” At press time, Mitchell was remarking on the game’s “stunningly inventive storycraft” while repeatedly kicking a Los Santos resident until blood pooled around their lifeless body.
Old 09-17-13, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Just unlocked Michael. Went back to his house and found his car already had my license plates on it. Pretty Cool.

Also ran into a glitch in the house. I think it's Michael's wife, though it could just be a random woman, she's standing on the sink counter in the kitchen and has a bottle of whiskey going through her wrist.

I tried taking a pic with the in game phone, but the servers are getting slammed.
Old 09-17-13, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I haven't been able to take a picture since last night.
Old 09-17-13, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Mixed feelings on the game. It's a bit of a technical wonder considering the age of the hardware and how detailed the city is.

OTOH, it's still GTA, and none of the core gameplay mechanics are strong enough to stand alone (the shooting still sucks, the driving is fine but can't compare to an actual racing game, etc; ) It's sort of the same thing that plagued BioShock Infinite, which had a solid story and a cool world but had 15 year old game design.

Still, lot of personality, and it's a very detailed virtual world. You definitely see where the time and effort went.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-17-13 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-18-13, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Darn cows crossing the road.
Old 09-18-13, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The shooting is great in this game.
Old 09-18-13, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Tinkered around with this for 4-5 hours last night. Anyone else having trouble with things on the map disappearing? I tried going to 3 different question marks and one spot labeled as a friend and there was nothing at any of them. At first I thought it might be jobs or people that are only there at specific times of day, but if I move a little ways away the markers come back. I head back to them and they disappear, nothing there. Kind of annoying.
Old 09-18-13, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Played it for a bit yesterday and unlocked the redneck character last night. Some highlights so far have been the paparazzi photo run, the jewelry heist, the lap dance, gold was pretty good, tennis was ok.

I am not so impressed with the map, kinda annoying. The controls are also still a bit annoying. Flying a plane or helicopter is just not much fun. I am forever a sponsor of Just Cause 2 and the control system and the driving mechanics of that game. It make it really fun to play, this game....not as much.

I agree when someone said that drivers also have a tendency to drive right into you. Pretty annoying when you are level 4 or more and making a getaway.

Also, after playing JC2 the map of GTA V does not seem as big as it was made out to be pre-release.

I am sure the game will continue to be fun, but not the best game ever as is being said by almost every review. The heists are certainly fun. I think if GTA VI took the visuals from GTA V, the size of the game map and locales, the driving mechanics, player freedom of movement and also the destruction capabilities from Just Cause 2, added in the fighting/gunplay mechanics and story design of Sleeping Dogs...then it would be getting close to perfection.
Old 09-18-13, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
The shooting is great in this game.
Not whilst in a lot of vehicles its not. Especially the attack helicopter.
Old 09-18-13, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Driving in this game is absolutely horrible. I don't remember how bad it was in GTA 4, but I do remember it also being bad. Not sure how they still can't get it right. Still a cool game so far, but with driving being as bad as it is, it doesn't make me want to explore much.
Old 09-18-13, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

This map is far more detailed and diverse in things to see than Just Cause 2. I liked that game quite a bit but also realized that every distinct area had assets that were simply copied and pasted. This map makes you feel like you could really be driving around a city/state with diversity and details to boot. The only thing is that they need to make some places able to be entered even if they play no part in the game. A hardware store or shop here and there along with some restaurants.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.