Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Old 10-13-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 627 Posts
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I had great success at that point in the game in leaving my summon sign right outside the stairs to the Gaping Dragon's door. I helped at least 4 other people beat him at 12,500 souls (and 1 Humanity) per run. Fun!
That's a good idea. You can be pulled into another game while Hollow, right?
Old 10-13-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got back into this after a little break and got past the Taurus Demon and the metal boar. I love this game.
Old 10-13-11, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by xmiyux
So, am I still super far from ringing a bell? My character is only like level 15 and I am still using really basic equipment. I think my sorcerer is using a short sword.

As for leveling, I have been working on the intelligence (thinking it would boost my spells) and the stat that lets me carry more weight. Is this a good plan?
Not too far from ringing the first bell, although "far" in this game might be measured in difficulty rather than distance.

Seems like a good plan for upgrading to me. Endurance is always a great place to put points regardless of class, and so is vitality (obviously, more HP). I can't say much about intelligence because I'm almost completely melee-focused. But really, all stats can be useful to all classes, just depending on how you want to play. There have definitely been plenty of times in this game where I've wished I had put points into stats that allow attacking from a distance.

Originally Posted by Noonan
That's a good idea. You can be pulled into another game while Hollow, right?
Yep, and there's a covenant that has membership requirements partly based on how many people you've helped as a phantom. You don't lose anything even if you die in someone else's world, you only stand to gain a lot, so put down those summon signs!
Old 10-13-11, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I help someone and they die, do I warp back to where I dropped my sign or back at my last bonfire?
Old 10-13-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm pretty sure it takes you back to the exact spot you were in when you got summoned. You don't have to stay at your sign, you can wander around the area a bit (although the game will tell you that your sign has disappeared if you go too far).
Old 10-13-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I made it the farthest I have been yet tonight.

Eye on the prize creeping towards a groups of skeletons with bows. Shield raised until I get into soul arrow range. Then suddenly we all die in a fire.

That is when I notice the gigantic dragon covering the wall behind the skeletons on which I was focusing.

This game just cracks me up. I turned the blood/gore off and have been playing it with my daughter and she loves pretending to be GladOS and taunt me every single death. It has been oddly fun and I think hearing her crack up every time I die makes it not nearly as aggravating.

FYI though - no clue whatsoever how I am going to kill that dragon with a soul arrow and a short sword.
Old 10-13-11, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

MOTHERFUCKING CAPRA DEMON!!!!!
THOSE DOGS ARE KILLING ME!

okay, off to attempt #438.
Old 10-13-11, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I made it the farthest I have been yet tonight.

Eye on the prize creeping towards a groups of skeletons with bows. Shield raised until I get into soul arrow range. Then suddenly we all die in a fire.

That is when I notice the gigantic dragon covering the wall behind the skeletons on which I was focusing.

This game just cracks me up. I turned the blood/gore off and have been playing it with my daughter and she loves pretending to be GladOS and taunt me every single death. It has been oddly fun and I think hearing her crack up every time I die makes it not nearly as aggravating.

FYI though - no clue whatsoever how I am going to kill that dragon with a soul arrow and a short sword.
Here's a hint:
Spoiler:
You aren't supposed to, yet... If you are fast enough you can run towards the dragon, and then to your right you'll see some stairs you can run down. After that, if you choose to, you can shoot at his tail from below until he drops the Drake Sword, but it's pretty overpowered, so don't grab it if you don't want easy mode (at least for a bit).
Old 10-13-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just came here to post something similar about New Londo Ruins...just lost 30,000 souls there in one run, followed by 20,000 a bit later.

I've had several "alright, I'm done, I can't do this anymore" moments with this game over the past few days. Give me an hour and I'm itching to jump back in with a newfound determination to defeat whatever is in my way.

I'm over 100 hours in now, level 77.
Old 10-13-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by flashburn
Here's a hint:
Spoiler:
You aren't supposed to, yet... If you are fast enough you can run towards the dragon, and then to your right you'll see some stairs you can run down. After that, if you choose to, you can shoot at his tail from below until he drops the Drake Sword, but it's pretty overpowered, so don't grab it if you don't want easy mode (at least for a bit).
Thanks for the hint.

Honestly it is a little bit of a paradigm shift to mentally switch to a point where I don't assume I must defeat what is immediately in front of me to progress.

I am now just wanting to find a new campfire to have a new little home of operations. My run is getting a little dull.
Old 10-13-11, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

okay, finally took him down on attempt #445. Time for a break before I head into the Depths.
Old 10-13-11, 09:31 PM

If you can successfully make it to the stairs near the dragon, there's a shortcut that links you back to the bonfire in Undead Borough (where you're probably still spawning at). You actually want to travel UNDER the bridge to proceed to the next area. Let the dragon be for now.

+1 for investing in varied stats. In Demon's Souls I was a Knight with some pretty formidable magic capabilities. I went melee through most levels, and went magic on most bosses. Which is why I really love the pyromancy in this game. It lets my Knight (or any melee class) use some pretty wicked close and medium range spells without having to invest in Intelligence. Sometimes, setting a Lizard on fire is better than stabbing it, as it turns out. And who doesn't love throwing down a poison cloud, making a group of enemies walk into it, and then running like a maniac to safety while they all slowly die?

Anyways... I finished Anor Lando last night. The "boss" there was possibly the hardest in either this or Demon's Souls. It took many, many attempts, but finally with a little luck, a lot of arrows, and some good ol' fashioned Poison Mist, they saw defeat.

I got the most bad-ass Bow ever though: The Dragon Slayer Bow. It's extremely slow (it has to be "planted" into the ground to fire), takes almost my whole Stamina bar to fire, and the arrows cost a horrid 500 souls PER ARROW, but by God, does it do some damage. 200-ish at medium range, and at least 85-ish at a great distance. It literally knocks smaller enemies off their feet. Any fool that still thinks it's a good idea to come at me after taking a hit from this thing deserves my sword through them.
Old 10-13-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I just came here to post something similar about New Londo Ruins...just lost 30,000 souls there in one run, followed by 20,000 a bit later.

I've had several "alright, I'm done, I can't do this anymore" moments with this game over the past few days. Give me an hour and I'm itching to jump back in with a newfound determination to defeat whatever is in my way.

I'm over 100 hours in now, level 77.
According to the guide there is at least a 792 level. lol!
Old 10-13-11, 09:57 PM

792... I don't even WANT to know how many Souls it takes to upgrade a point by then. 150,000,000 Souls = 1 point of strength = 4 extra points of damage. *Shudder*

I believe with all the stats, after about 50 there's some serious diminishing returns. In Demon's Souls I took my first character through two playthroughs and only ended up around level 112 or so if I remember correctly. New Game+ makes every enemy twice as strong, so even the first level is somewhat of a challenge second time around.

I think PvP and players prefer to stay around the 60's-70's since when do an invasion they normally put you in the world of someone who is a bit higher level than you are, so you're at a disadvantage. Nobody wants to be the one to invade the realm of a guy dedicated enough to get to Soul Level 614...
Old 10-13-11, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the hint.

Honestly it is a little bit of a paradigm shift to mentally switch to a point where I don't assume I must defeat what is immediately in front of me to progress.

I am now just wanting to find a new campfire to have a new little home of operations. My run is getting a little dull.
Spoiler:
There's another set of stairs after you go down to the lower level of the bridge, you can take them down, and you'll get to a ladder that you can drop down that is at a previous camp fire.
Old 10-14-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I just got 25,000 souls for beating the demon in the Depths. Should I use that to buy the key to the giant glowing door in the forest? I saw someone say that is a great place to level up..like 900 souls per kill....is it worth it?

I am currently level 23, drake sword and I'm a melee character...minimal magic at the moment.

EDIT: Nevermind, I did some leveling up and bought the pyromancy spell "fire orb" or something like that...

Last edited by mewmartigan; 10-14-11 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-14-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Poink
792... I don't even WANT to know how many Souls it takes to upgrade a point by then. 150,000,000 Souls = 1 point of strength = 4 extra points of damage. *Shudder*

I believe with all the stats, after about 50 there's some serious diminishing returns. In Demon's Souls I took my first character through two playthroughs and only ended up around level 112 or so if I remember correctly. New Game+ makes every enemy twice as strong, so even the first level is somewhat of a challenge second time around.

I think PvP and players prefer to stay around the 60's-70's since when do an invasion they normally put you in the world of someone who is a bit higher level than you are, so you're at a disadvantage. Nobody wants to be the one to invade the realm of a guy dedicated enough to get to Soul Level 614...
It only requires 11938030 souls.
Old 10-14-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
So I just got 25,000 souls for beating the demon in the Depths. Should I use that to buy the key to the giant glowing door in the forest? I saw someone say that is a great place to level up..like 900 souls per kill....is it worth it?

I am currently level 23, drake sword and I'm a melee character...minimal magic at the moment.
I would unless you really need the levels now to progress. You can get 7K souls quickly if you open that door. If you can't kill the enemies yourself, there's a trick to getting them all to fall off a cliff. You can search youtube for videos of it.
Old 10-15-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was finally able to kill that Asylum Demon last night. This game is going to be brutal for me. Does anyone else feel really tense and nervous while playing this game?
Old 10-15-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I was finally able to kill that Asylum Demon last night. This game is going to be brutal for me. Does anyone else feel really tense and nervous while playing this game?
Yes because I keep thinking about all the enemies I will have to fight again on my way back to a boss for the umpteenth time.

Sometimes the worst is going to a new area and getting killed before you find the bonfire....its a long walk back to that new area.
Old 10-15-11, 02:44 PM

Yeah, the atmosphere of the game is probably more intense than most "horror" titles, without overtly trying to be so. It doesn't rely on cheap tactics of things popping out of nowhere too often; it's just knowing how much pain the enemies can cause is enough to instill fear.

A dog jumping through a window in Resident Evil only "gets" you one time; a Black Knight waiting at the end of a narrow passageway is ALWAYS effective.
Old 10-15-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Poink
Yeah, the atmosphere of the game is probably more intense than most "horror" titles, without overtly trying to be so. It doesn't rely on cheap tactics of things popping out of nowhere too often
Totally!

This, from IGN's review, explains it pretty well:

"The further you get in Dark Souls, the more hideous and creative the monsters and environments become. Thirty hours in, stuck in an underground poisonous swamp, you'll feel like you'd give anything to see the sun again. Dark Souls' design is so consistently twisted that it actually starts to encroach on your mental well-being after extended play – it never wavers for a second from its singular stylistic vision."
Old 10-15-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I defeated the gold golem in the darkroot basin.....he is supposed to give you 5000 souls and not respawn.
Well, his last hit happened to kill me as I killed him. Went back to my bloodstain and I didn't get the 5000 souls but he didn't respawn. Dammit, i could have really used though. They hydra was a long and tough battle and I only got 5000 out of her!! Would rather have the gold one keep respawning with the crystal ones.
Old 10-15-11, 09:10 PM

If you quit and reload in that cave, a Sorcery trainer appears, who was trapped inside the golem.

Don't think the souls will be there though. Although if you don't care about magic much you could just murder her to get a little bit of souls.
Old 10-15-11, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First playthrough complete! Finished at level 92, with 130 hours of playtime. Both of those numbers are a lot higher than average from what I've read, but I tried to explore and find as much as possible on my own. Found all covenants and sorceries and got most of the weapon reinforcements done. Some of the time was also spent waiting around to be summoned for boss fights, etc.

Amazing game, easily the best I've played this year (and I play a lot of games).

I'm now immediately starting New Game+, and I couldn't be more excited about it. That says a lot about the quality of the game to me. Gotta find/make all the rare weapons and finish collecting the miracles and pyromancy spells.

I'm happy to answer any questions or offer any advice that I can.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.