Reload this Page >

Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Old 10-07-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Any tips with fighting that guy that is near the first blacksmith you find? He has a ranged lightning type effect, and if you get close he has a massive sword or something that he swings. Maybe I just shouldn't be going there yet? I think I'm level 12 or so.
Old 10-07-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 627 Posts

He's easy. Just load up on arrows and slowly take him out from afar. The lightning attacks are cake to avoid from far away. He'll never move from that spot if you don't get close.

Just don't venture into the area past him. You'll probably get wiped out at level 12.

Last edited by Noonan; 10-07-11 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-07-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys maybe you can help me decide if this game is for me. I've never been an RPG player but this game looks sick! I do love Darksiders and Dante's. Also Eternal Darkness on GB is one of my favorite games of all time. What do you think???
Old 10-07-11, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Noonan
He's easy. Just load up on arrow and slowly take him out from afar. The lightning attacks are cake to avoid from far away. He'll never move from that stop if you don't get close.

Just don't venture into the area past him. You'll probably get wiped out at level 12.
Ah okay, I don't really have many arrows. I'll just come back to him later I think. I need to figure out where to go next, I must of missed something.
Old 10-07-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What have you done so far? I'm not far past that point so I should be able to help.
Old 10-07-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Guys maybe you can help me decide if this game is for me. I've never been an RPG player but this game looks sick! I do love Darksiders and Dante's. Also Eternal Darkness on GB is one of my favorite games of all time. What do you think???
That's a tough question. I guess it's somewhat similar to games like Darksiders but taken to a much further extreme. You character levels up somewhat like a RPG but this game is action/adventure all the way. Don't bother with it if you lack patience. This is the type of game that will have you play the same area over and over for hours until you're able to make it through the onslaught of enemies without dying.
Old 10-07-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, it's not for you if you can't stand the idea of possibly playing for 30+ minutes and literally not progressing AT ALL. There are even points were you can regress (to a point).
Old 10-07-11, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What have you done so far? I'm not far past that point so I should be able to help.
I killed the Taurus Demon, and that's about it. Oh and that one metal boar, but he wasn't really a boss or anything.
Old 10-07-11, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Then you'll want to do the church next to ring the 1st bell. Go upstairs from the blacksmith bonfire and head out the way you came in originally. The church is right in front of you.
Old 10-07-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a tough question. I guess it's somewhat similar to games like Darksiders but taken to a much further extreme. You character levels up somewhat like a RPG but this game is action/adventure all the way. Don't bother with it if you lack patience. This is the type of game that will have you play the same area over and over for hours until you're able to make it through the onslaught of enemies without dying.
Thanks. It looks so good and I like games that make you think. I have patience and like figuring things out. I remember playing the first tomb Raider (BTW I'm not comparing the two) and I loved having to figure out what to do to progress.

What concerns me is all the leveling and carrying different items. Just the thought of all the different options makes my head spin.

Last edited by Larry C.; 10-07-11 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-07-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Then you'll want to do the church next to ring the 1st bell. Go upstairs from the blacksmith bonfire and head out the way you came in originally. The church is right in front of you.
I was too scared to go into the church, . I lured out two of those knight's that were in there, but there was still another knight with a huge tower shield, I just ran away like a little girl.
Old 10-07-11, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not that bad in there; mostly just those knights with the red capes. That big guy with a tower shield does not re-spawn after you kill him. I was scared too (it was before I located the bonfire and blacksmith) but took him out without too much issue. Try luring him outside so there's no other obstacles. That is the next area you need to get through though. Gotta ring the bell before moving on.

I wouldn't consider this a spoiler but straight ahead from that entrance to the church is an elevator which loops you back to the area where you first start after the tutorial.
Old 10-07-11, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
Any tips with fighting that guy that is near the first blacksmith you find? He has a ranged lightning type effect, and if you get close he has a massive sword or something that he swings. Maybe I just shouldn't be going there yet? I think I'm level 12 or so.
If you're playing a non-ranged melee character like me, I found it pretty easy to get behind him and keep hitting away. Just make sure you're fast enough to stay behind him.

I've made it pretty far in this game now (level 42 I think) and it continually offers up new jawdropping moments. Pretty sure this is my GOTY and it was the one major fall release that I didn't pre-order.
Old 10-07-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm in the Undead Burg right now and i think I'm slowly getting the hang of the game.
I used the bonfire here to do some leveling up, so I've gone from 4 to 12.

I find it difficult that you can continue to get attacked while you are in the equipment screen. Normally I wouldn't do this but I got a red flashing warning that my sword was about to break so I had to switch it out quick. My secondary weapon was the bow which didn't help with 4 guys in my face, haha. Ended up dying and switching weapons at the bonfire.

How do I repair weapons? And can I sell stuff? I have some multiples that are affecting my carry weight and there doesn't seem to be an option to "drop" them.
Old 10-07-11, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Every post I read in this thread makes me want this game even less. I'm really happy that you all like it and I agree that there should be some difficult games for hardcore gamers who are looking for a challenge, but man, no matter how many raves this game gets, it sounds like nothing I'd like at all. I tend to grab most new releases right away for fear of missing out on something good, but one does not sound appealing to me in the slightest.
Old 10-07-11, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You should try to rent or borrow it from someone (or Demon's Souls). There really isn't anything else like it, so you never know. It sounded like it would just be a frustrating and awful time, and at first Demon's Souls was, until it finally clicked, and then it's been awesome ever since.
Old 10-07-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

That's fair. I will look for it at Redbox. Never thought about that.
Old 10-07-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Well, just a one day rental for me. Combat was like watching a blindfolded 5 year old trying to hit a pinata, I was hitting everything except my enemies. The game definitely has a good creepiness to it, but I can't get past the controls.
Old 10-07-11, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
How do I repair weapons? And can I sell stuff? I have some multiples that are affecting my carry weight and there doesn't seem to be an option to "drop" them.
If I remember correctly, the first merchant you should meet early in the Undead Burg sells a repair kit, which lets you repair your weapons and armor at a bonfire for souls. He also sells repair powder, which lets you repair things without a bonfire but is a one-time use item. The kit is a much wiser, and almost essential, investment. If you find a blacksmith, he can repair your stuff for souls too (and also sells a repair kit, I think).

Your carry weight doesn't affect anything, only your equipped weight. You can drop non-essential items by going into your inventory, selecting the item, and bringing up the item menu (action button). But as for selling stuff:
Spoiler:
Apparently you can do so later in the game after meeting the right person, but I still haven't found him/her and I'm pretty far along.

Last edited by MoviePage; 10-07-11 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Derpiness
Old 10-07-11, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
Well, just a one day rental for me. Combat was like watching a blindfolded 5 year old trying to hit a pinata, I was hitting everything except my enemies. The game definitely has a good creepiness to it, but I can't get past the controls.
Were you locking on to enemies? I find combat to be a lot of fun and strategic.
Old 10-07-11, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
If I remember correctly, the first merchant you should meet early in the Undead Burg sells a repair kit, which lets you repair your weapons and armor at a bonfire for souls. He also sells repair powder, which lets you repair things without a bonfire but is a one-time use item. The kit is a much wiser, and almost essential, investment. If you find a blacksmith, he can repair your stuff for souls too (and also sells a repair kit, I think).

Your carry weight doesn't affect anything, only your equipped weight. You can drop non-essential items by going into your inventory, selecting the item, and bringing up the item menu (action button). But as for selling stuff:
Spoiler:
Apparently you can do so later in the game after meeting the right person, but I still haven't found him/her and I'm pretty far along.
Ooh, sweet. I will have to go buy the repair kit.

EDIT: He only has the one time use repair kit. Also, I didn't realize the soap stones you can message other players with are one time use only too!

Only equipped weight makes sense....maybe I will hold onto the stuff in the hopes of selling it.

EDIT: So I just got the Drake Sword but don't have the strength to equip it yet!

Last edited by mewmartigan; 10-08-11 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-08-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Crazy good deal right now for the FuturePress hardcover strategy guide, $13.74 at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/3869930527
Quality of it is supposed to be amazing.
Old 10-08-11, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
Crazy good deal right now for the FuturePress hardcover strategy guide, $13.74 at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/3869930527
Quality of it is supposed to be amazing.
Thanks for the heads up as I just ordered one! That is a great deal.
Old 10-08-11, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, I ordered mine yesterday when it was still $24.99 and it shipped today right before the price drop. I contacted them and they refunded the difference. to Amazon.

It is listed as out of stock again right now, but it was the same when I ordered, so it doesn't hurt to take a chance. I might grab another one at that price.
Old 10-09-11, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Ooh, sweet. I will have to go buy the repair kit.

EDIT: He only has the one time use repair kit. Also, I didn't realize the soap stones you can message other players with are one time use only too!

Only equipped weight makes sense....maybe I will hold onto the stuff in the hopes of selling it.

EDIT: So I just got the Drake Sword but don't have the strength to equip it yet!
The message writing "soap" can be used multiple times. It confused me at first with it having a "Quantity: 1" number attached to it, but that's just how it rolls in Dark Souls. So the repair kit may be the same way; you're only BUYING "one," but it can be used more than once.

Kinda confusing, IMO. I had the same problem with Miracles; I was like "I'm not going to pay 4000 souls after using Heal 5 measly times." Then I realized once you buy it, it's yours for life (in that case, resting at a bonfire replenishes the spell).

The Drake Sword is pretty great. Unless you're playing a non-melee character I would get your strength up as soon as possible, since its by far the strongest weapon to be found early on.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.