Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Max Payne 3

Old 05-15-12, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Max Payne 3

If I may interrupt for a moment to talk about Max Payne 3, the Gorilla Warfare Pack is currently free on XBL marketplace. Apparently it's not supposed to be, so grab it while you can.
Old 05-15-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is free on the PSN store as well. Where was it indicated it wasn't supposed to be free?
Old 05-15-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

While I'm old enough to appreciate those speed bike levels on Battletoads, can we leave that for another thread?
I'm truly enjoying this go round of Max. Feels similar with upgraded graphics and gameplay. If your an achievement whore it won't be good but the gameplay and story are spot on.
Old 05-15-12, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chase3001
It is free on the PSN store as well. Where was it indicated it wasn't supposed to be free?
In the thread at CAG where someone posted that it was 160MSP earlier but free now. So I don't know for sure, but thought I'd share.
Old 05-16-12, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone else try the multiplayer yet? As much as I love the campaign, I really didn't enjoy my brief foray into the multiplayer at all. It just felt overly chaotic and it wasn't much fun.
Old 05-16-12, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Played a little bit last night after Diablo. As soon as the original music kicked in, I was hooked. Blending the cinema scenes with the game is great too.
Old 05-18-12, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Played a little bit last night after Diablo. As soon as the original music kicked in, I was hooked. Blending the cinema scenes with the game is great too.
Yeah. The music certainly brought me back. The level design certainly seems a little less "free" with all the cinematic sequences. The gun battles are still enjoyable though. Even after all these years it's still satisfying to shoot people in slo-mo

I've only logged a couple of hours, but so far I'm enjoying it.
Old 05-19-12, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Whoever directed the story sequences has been watching way too many Tony Scott movies.
Old 05-19-12, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

What I find amazing about the story is how intense and epic feeling the first act is; towards the end of it you realize it's only going to get darker and nastier.
Old 05-20-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Rockstar definitely dropped the ball with this game. The color shifts or whatever the hell you want to call them get annoying as all hell when you're watching the cutscenes and believe me.....this game is pretty much a controller in your lap game so it gets old fast.

Aside from what most say the story is definitely NOT fucking amazing....it's generic and cheesy as all hell - I'm surprised at how many people say they love the story....it's fucking boring.

That said, there are some positives...I do like playing the single player because of the few epic moments you actually get to pick up the controller and play through....and I guess that's about it for now.

The feeling I got with this game after playing for a bit was the same EXACT feeling I got with L.A. Noire when it was released (qand I don't want to hear any shit about them not being the ones who made L.A. Noire - while they didn't solely creat the game they still had a part in things)......ripped the fuck off. It feels like Rockstar just took the 65 bucks out of my pocket.

The multiplayer is beyond horrid as well but to be fair, I only played one round but that was enough for me regardless - load times are way too long as well.

Really shocked at how shitty this game is.

Last edited by Rival11; 05-20-12 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-20-12, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rival11
Really shocked at how shitty this game is.
Jeeze... Well, I just finished it, and I liked it quite a bit. The story was okay, though graded on a curve with other videogame stories, it's well above average.

I'm not saying it's game of the year or anything, but I felt that it was more than satisfying. My main criticism would be that the cover mechanic was kinda weak, but besides that, I enjoyed it and had a lot of fun with it.

The game I'd compare it with the most would be Uncharted, and while that had "platforming" sections (c'mon, who are we kidding, Uncharted's platforming were as on-rails as anything) and some puzzles to break things up, MaxPayne3 has the much better shooting gameplay of the two, with different ways to tackle most scenarios. So it's almost a draw between the two games.
Old 05-20-12, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

How does the story of MP3 compare to that of MP2?
Old 05-20-12, 10:26 PM
Cool New Member

Being contrarian is fun
Old 05-21-12, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, well maybe shitty is too strong a word but here is my main issue.....when I shell out 65 bucks for a game I want to play the damn thing at least little. The amount of cutscenes weigh out the gameplay heavily, also - the gameplay that is there could have had a lot of other options added but it's mainly just duck, cover, and shoot.

Now, with all the above said...since reaching the Favelas the game did rise up on my meter quite a bit as I realized I was playing for 2 hours straight but not knowing it until I looked up at the clock.

Also storywise....the game took a huge turn for me that I was not expecting and that added points as well - another note is the awesome feel of the citizens in the favelas - they really help had tension to the game.

It's not like Alan Wake where you are controlling him all of the time (and yes, this game makes me appreciate Alan Wake even more now) there is a lot of slowdown in this game for loading - what am I talking about? When you are approaching certain areas Max's walk becomes snail like...then comes another cutscene.

So yeah, shitty was a bit out of line - I was just frustrated upon first playing and still am a little bit but we'll see if it ever grows on me.
Old 05-21-12, 08:26 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am so glad Diablo came out the same time...or I prb would have felt like I wasted my 60 bucks...
Old 05-21-12, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
The amount of cutscenes weigh out the gameplay heavily, also - the gameplay that is there could have had a lot of other options added but it's mainly just duck, cover, and shoot.
Yeah, this is the tough part about this game--for a great action/shooting game, there's just way too much watching (cutscenes). I'm OK with some, and they blend them in seamlessly, but there's just too many and they cut into the action in a frustrating way.
Old 05-21-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked how each level/chapter was unique and kept the game from looking and feeling too repetitive. The only location I didn't care for was the soccer stadium - it was the blandest level of the bunch.
Old 05-27-12, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With the code MASH you can get a used copy for either system from gohastings.com as of now for 40 bucks shipped.
Old 05-27-12, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by slop101
I liked how each level/chapter was unique and kept the game from looking and feeling too repetitive. The only location I didn't care for was the soccer stadium - it was the blandest level of the bunch.
It was a tad too long, but otherwise fun.
Old 05-27-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok so call me an idiot but the game got pretty damn fantastic in the later levels - really good shit.

And I can't believe I am going to say this but.....the multiplayer is awesome....when you first start you will hate it and prob dimiss it after just a few minutes or seconds but I'm tellin you...once you learn how to play and get your first weapons slot open....it's fucking great,

The taunts you can use ar excellent as well - the bullet time in multiplayer is also done really well as you have to earn the ability to stay in it longer.

There are so many upgrades and things to buy and the system ACUTALLY WORKS.

It's not call of duty (I'm NOT cutting it down I'm just using it as a comparison) where you notice slight variances in weapons you choose....here the arsenal system will tell you that you weigh too much with your current loadout but you can still use it - yes there is room for improvment but for the most part....when you start playing it more....it really becomes a blast - the ability to take cover & peak around corners is awesome - the game levels are designed so people can't camp - even while taking cover.

lol I played it for three hours last night.
Old 05-29-12, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just wrapped it up. This is definitley my sleeper hit of the year so far. It just oozes style. I loved it.
Old 06-23-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So nobody here likes the multiplayer huh? I'm telling you...you will despise it at first but after playing for a while and realizing that you can take cover, roll, strategically shoot dodge (bullet time), learn how much is available in your loadouts, etc.... you may just end up getting addicted to it like I have.

Yes, you will die bit often up until about level 14 but its still fun...the music they use on each level, the taunts, etc...

I kid you not, after playing this and then popping in COD....I seriously, honestly, prefer MP3 multiplayer.

The biggest thing you won't like out of the gate is that it doesn't feel like it's smooth at all but once you get use to the controls.....it's great.

I'm not trying to coax anyone into playing it I just think it's weird that not one other person seems to like it here.
Old 06-23-12, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I shockingly do play the MP for this, I generally avoid most MP games - but I've been playing this. I think I'm around lvl 10 or so - enough to have a couple loadouts and some good weapon mods.
Old 06-23-12, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, the biggest problem with the MP is it requires you to put in work up front and have faith it will get better. Once you hit around Rank 10 or above, it's a pure blast. It does weed out a lot of people not devoted to the game at least.
Old 06-23-12, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I just finished the campaign. Getting ready to start the MP. I loved the campaign and have hopes the MP doesn't let me down. Hopefully I'm not getting such a late start I'll just get owned.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.