Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

360...Bad Ethernet jack?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
360...Bad Ethernet jack?

Hello

I've got a friend who has about given up connecting to online due to no matter what they try, the 360 won't connect to online. They've tried different CAT cables, two different routers (Belkin and Linksys), various settings and even direct connection all to no avail. They're on Comcast if that means anything.

They said they follow the directions and almost to the very end when it shows trying to connect it fails and says something like "unable to connect to router or modem" or something like that. I'm beginning to suspect as he is some bad Ethernet Jack but I've never heard of one. Is this a possibilty and is it a bad solder or bad plug and possible fix?
Old 05-19-11, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: 360...Bad Ethernet jack?

If he tried wireless and it didn't work then it's either the internals of the Xbox or it's a setting from his router... not sure you can call the Ethernet Jack is bad unless his internet has no response ONLY when hard-wired.
Old 05-19-11, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has he changed any settings in the modem? When I was with Qwest, it was a hug pain in the ass to get my connection working initially, but googling with all modem and router numbers eventually got me to the right settings.
Old 05-19-11, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Check the security settings of his router and see if it's filtering devices by MAC address. If so, add the XBox's MAC address to the list.

2. Have you tried connecting the XBox directly to the modem?
Old 05-20-11, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by EvlAsh
1. Check the security settings of his router and see if it's filtering devices by MAC address. If so, add the XBox's MAC address to the list.

2. Have you tried connecting the XBox directly to the modem?

According to him they have tried diect connection to the 360 bypassing the router and still the same thing.

They had Belkin router 9yes on the offical list) and nothing. I let him barrow my Linksys WRT54G router with all the ports set per guide and I used for awhile and still didn't work. Tried three CAT cables including the offical 360 one.
Old 05-20-11, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What is the modem type? I had to switch settings in that, not just the router.
Old 05-20-11, 07:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

From Paul Hogan, creator of Crocodile Dundee, comes his latest creation: Ethernet Jack!
Old 05-20-11, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Often cable modems are configured to only accept/expect to communicate with one Hardware mac address, which is why if you start out with a PC directly connected to it and then switch to a router, you have to clone the MAC of your PC for it to allow the connection. That could explain why directly connecting the Xbox doesn't work as well. I'm with the others on the ports. Bring the xbox to your, or someone else's (that has a working xbox connected to Live) house and connect it to your working internet connection and test it that way.
Old 05-20-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by shumway
Bring the xbox to your, or someone else's (that has a working xbox connected to Live) house and connect it to your working internet connection and test it that way.
Bingo! Or vice versa -- bring your working Xbox to his house and try it out.
Old 05-22-11, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shumway
Often cable modems are configured to only accept/expect to communicate with one Hardware mac address, which is why if you start out with a PC directly connected to it and then switch to a router, you have to clone the MAC of your PC for it to allow the connection. That could explain why directly connecting the Xbox doesn't work as well. I'm with the others on the ports. Bring the xbox to your, or someone else's (that has a working xbox connected to Live) house and connect it to your working internet connection and test it that way.
You can also reset the modem by unplugging it from it's power source for about 3-5 minutes. Plug-in the new device (PC, XBox, Router, etc.) into the modem before plugging the modem back into it's power source. Doing this will register the new MAC address with the modem.

Last edited by EvlAsh; 05-22-11 at 11:02 PM.