Reload this Page >

Intellivision Amico - Oct 10, 2020

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-22-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please make sure to sign up to our mailing list at IntellivisionEntertainment.com to discover more!

INTELLIVISION® REVEALS INITIAL DETAILS FOR THE UPCOMING AMICO™ HOME VIDEO GAME CONSOLE!

GROUNDBREAKING CONSOLE APPROACHES GAMING AND THE ENTIRE GAME INDUSTRY IN A COMPLETELY UNIQUE WAY

IRVINE, CA, October 22, 2018 – Almost 40 years after the release of the original Intellivision® home video game system which helped to redefine the video game industry, Intellivision® Entertainment is proud to carry on its “Legacy of Firsts” by announcing the brand new revolutionary family home video game console named Amico™ to be released on October 10th, 2020 (1010 2020). Amico is the Italian word for “friend” or “buddy” and encapsulates an element of the approach and dynamics for what makes the new console so unique and an exciting addition to everyone’s family.

“We are creating a console that parents WANT to buy, not that they were asked to buy,” stated Intellivision president and 30 year industry veteran Tommy Tallarico during his keynote address over the weekend at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. Tallarico went on to say, “Most every game being made for the home consoles these days is created with only the hardcore gamer in mind. We see a world where everyone is interested in playing at home and with friends, but this isn’t currently possible because the barrier to entry is nearly impossible for a non-gamer due to the complexity of the controllers, intricacy of gameplay, expense of the hardware and software and steep learning curve with an unbalanced fun factor for the beginner. Our goal was to create a console that both gamers and non-gamers are able to have fun with and play together. The Intellivision Amico is our answer to this gaping hole we see within the current video game industry.”

Intellivision Entertainment continues to build upon its gaming legacy with support and expertise from industry veterans and superstars, including longtime product manager/producer/marketer Jason Enos (involved in over 100 products launches, including the Metal Gear Solid®, Castlevania®, Contra®, Dance Dance Revolution®, Silent Hill®, TEKKEN™, Ace Combat®, Dragon Ball Z®, Monopoly® and PAC-MAN™ franchises), Perrin Kaplan (Zebra Partners, former Nintendo VP of Marketing & Corporate Affairs; launched the Nintendo Wii®, Nintendo DS®, Super Nintendo®, Nintendo Gamecube®, N64®), Beth Llewlyn (Zebra Partners, former Nintendo PR; launched the Nintendo Wii®, Nintendo DS®, Pokemon™), Scott Tsumura (Tozai Games, formerly co-founder and President of Nintendo Software Technology Corporation, and a pioneer in the early days of arcade game production, including Moon Patrol, Kung Fu Master, 10 Yard Fight, etc.), Phil Adam (Founder of Spectrum Holobyte, President & VP of Interplay Productions, helped introduce Tetris® to the world), André LaMothe (Hardware Evangelist, programmer, designer, author, over 750 products to market, artificial intelligence design for NASA) and advisor David Perry (Earthworm Jim™, Disney’s Aladdin™, founder of Shiny Entertainment and co-founder of Gaikai cloud gaming utilized in the Sony PlayStation®4).

Game industry analyst and Wedbush Securities Managing Director of Equity Research Michael Pachter commented, “I think it’s about time somebody focused on families with kid-friendly games. Intellivision has a long history of delivering content that everybody can enjoy, and with the revived console priced right, I expect it to be immensely successful. The company has the right leadership and is positioned in an underserved niche, I think the re-launch will be a home run.”

"Intellivision Entertainment is also proud to announce that it joins console manufacturers Sony®, Microsoft® and Nintendo® as the fourth game console company to be an active member of the Entertainment Software Association (ESA). The ESA's mission is dedicated to serving the business and public affairs needs of the video game industry as well as owning and operating the Electronic Entertainment Exposition (E3)."

Experience the Intellivision® Amico™ Reveal Trailer HERE: https://youtu.be/xokUnn1lBGA

INTELLIVISION AMICO™ FEATURES AND INFORMATION:
Spoiler:

PRICE RANGE (RETAIL)
• US $149 - $179

NORTH AMERICAN, UNITED KINGDOM AND EUROPEAN RELEASE DATE
• October 10, 2020 (1010 2020)

SOFTWARE OVERVIEW
• All games are family friendly and rated “E for Everyone” or “E10+”.
• Every game version on the console is EXCLUSIVE.
• Quality over quantity! All games must past a strict quality control seal of approval.
• Balanced gameplay and design for Equal Opportunity Gaming™ for all.
• All games are downloadable and between US $2.99 - $7.99.
• No costly DLC (Downloadable Content) add-on’s or “In-App Purchases”.
• Launch to include several built-in reimagined Intellivision Classics (pre-installed in every console) and over 20 games including both reimagined industry classics and brand new exclusive titles via the Intellivision Online Store.

CONTROLLERS
• 2 wireless Bluetooth controllers (up to 8 player compatible and connectivity).
• 3 ½ inch (2:3 aspect ratio) Color Touchscreen.
• Pioneering tilting positional disc with surrounding interactive LED border.
• 4 arcade-style tactile feedback buttons.
• Gyroscope & Accelerometer.
• Force feedback.
• Controller to be used horizontally or vertically including dominant left or right hand usage.
• Qi (pronounced “CHEE”) wireless onboard charging.
• Speaker
• Microphone
• Free downloadable app enables mobile phones as additional controllers (up to 8 players).

HARDWARE & TECHNOLOGY
• State of the Art 21st Century 2D Image Processing and Graphics Capability
• Intellivision Prism™ Onboard Interactive Lighting Technology.
• WiFi/BT & Ethernet Connectivity.
• HDMI Video Output.
• Multiple USB Ports
• System Expansion Interface.

• Intellivision Online Store for the ability to purchase additional software.
• Multi-player online gaming and structured multi-tiered tournament play.
• Time & Space Leaderboard System™ which includes high scores by locations and calendar.
• Trophy/Achievement rewards system which awards unique accomplishments to each player.

REIMAGINED GAMES
Spoiler:

• Includes updated graphics, modernized audio, additional levels, multi-player modes (local and online), tournament modes AND MORE!

• Intellivision Classics REIMAGINED and REMADE EXCLUSIVELY for the Intellivision Amico™:
Astrosmash™, Shark! Shark!™, Baseball, Night Stalker™, Skiing, Math Fun™, SNAFU™, Utopia™, Frog Bog™, Boxing, Bowling, Triple Action™, Tron Deadly Discs™, Cloudy Mountain: Crown of Kings, Star Strike™, Horse Racing, Auto Racing, B-17 Bomber™ AND MORE!

• Atari Classics REIMAGINED and REMADE EXCLUSIVELY for the Intellivision Amico™:
Pong™, Asteroids™, Centipede™, Tempest™, Adventure™, Missile Command™, Yar's Revenge™, Breakout™, Lunar Lander™, Night Driver™, Sky Diver™, Warlords™

• Imagic Classics REIMAGINED and REMADE EXCLUSIVELY for the Intellivision Amico™:
Microsurgeon™, Atlantis™, Demon Attack™, Dracula™, Beauty and the Beast™, Ice Trek™, Swords & Serpents™, Dragonfire™, Truckin'™ AND MORE!

Other Games REIMAGINED and REMADE EXCLUSIVELY for the Intellivision Amico™:
• Miner 2049er™
• Super Burgertime™
• Bad Dudes™
• Caveman Ninja™
• Moon Patrol™
• R-Type™
• 10 Yard Fight™
• Lode Runner™
• Spelunker™
• Kung-Fu Master™
• MotoRace USA™
• Tropical Angel™
• Archon™
• ToeJam & Earl™

Not only will the Intellivision Amico™ bring the fun and simplicity of classic gaming to modern day, but an entire plethora of completely brand new games and franchises are currently being created by game developers and game publishers around the world using the same core principles of sensible, simple and fun.

“The average age of a gamer today is 34 years old, and the market reflects that with a broad array of games for people of all ages. Of course, some parents may find that many of those games are not age-appropriate for their children,” said ESRB president, Patricia Vance. “Intellivision’s policy to only offer games rated E for Everyone and E10+ for Everyone 10 and up on its new system makes finding the right games easier for busy families, especially those with young gamers.”

Followers can join the Intellivision family by subscribing to updates at IntellivisionEntertainment.com.

INTELLIVISION® History & Facts – “A LEGACY OF FIRSTS”:
Spoiler:

• Intellivision was the first 16-bit game console, a full 2 generations before it became the industry standard.
• The original Intellivision system was so popular that it sold across 3 decades (1979 – 1990).
• The Intellivision control disc was the first game console to offer a directional thumb pad which was the predecessor to what later became the industry standard directional pad (D-Pad). It was also the first game console to allow for 16 directions while offering 4 action buttons and a 12-button keypad, which opened up greater game play options and control.
• The Intellivision was the first video game console that had a built-in PAUSE feature on the controller.
• The first console to have built-in screen burn-in protection by blacking out the TV after a few minutes of game inactivity. This vision and idea was the precursor to the entire “screen saver” concept.
• The very first video game to have speech/voice was the 1979 Intellivision release of Major League Baseball.
• Intellivision was the first console which incorporated professional sports licensing for its sports games, the boxes were emblazoned with official logos from Major League Baseball (MLB), National Football League (NFL), National Hockey League (NHL), National Basketball Association (NBA), Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA), North American Soccer League (NASL), Professional Bowlers Association (PBA), American Backgammon Players Association (ABPA), the United States Chess Federation (USCF) and the U.S. Ski Team.
• Intellivision had the largest home console software library in the world with the release of their cross-platform "System Changer" device that allowed Atari® 2600 games to be played on the Intellivision system.
• 30 years ahead of its time, the Intellivision was the very first game console to offer digital distribution of video games through the PlayCable service. The PlayCable adapter connected to the Intellivision cartridge port and allowed the downloading of games through a cable TV subscription. New York Yankee legend and Hall of Famer Mickey Mantle was the TV and print ad spokesmen for the product which was released in 1981.
• With the release of the Keyboard Component, Intellivision was one of the first video game systems that was able to be used and turned into a home computer.
• The Intellivision Music Synthesizer was the first game console or home computer to offer a musical synthesizer keyboard. This allowed people to play and create music using technology.
• The first home console and video games to use a tile based playfield which allowed for the display of detailed graphics and color with very little RAM.
• Intellivision was the first game console to have a complete built-in character font. Intellivision's system font had complete upper and lowercase alphabets, numerals, and almost all of the punctuation and symbols found on standard computer keyboards.
• The Intellivision game Utopia™ was the very first “real time strategy” and city building/god game.
• Intellivision was responsible for the first “Console War” when it launched a national ad campaign against then rival Atari®, by using side-by-side comparisons with journalist George Plimpton as its spokesman.
Old 10-22-18, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Intellivision Amico - Oct 10, 2020

As the original Intellivision was the first console we had in my house growing up and I've followed them through their various reincarnations like Intellivision Lives and the plug&play retro console from a few years ago, I'll definitely get this.

Plus they have iMagic titles! Demon Attack, here I come! In two years......
The following users liked this post:
story (04-17-20)
Old 10-22-18, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

While there are some games that would be cool to pick up again, I can't get past the price of the console itself.
Old 10-22-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, a whole lot of information has to come out between now and then before it makes sense.
Old 10-22-18, 12:11 PM

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,091 Posts

We had an IntelliVision and I loved it. I wish this were half the price, it would be a no-brainer, especially with the game lineup. But at $150, yeah, I just can't go there.
Old 10-22-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

$150 is a ridiculous price point.

Spoilerized for very obscure reference for those under 45 :

Spoiler:
[<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aYLly625cXE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Decker; 10-22-18 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Too expensive. I do have a bunch of intellevision carts in the attic. Maybe I should see if the system still works, too.
Old 10-23-18, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

When they say updated versions of games, that's got to really mean an actual upgrade. I'm not paying 150 bucks to play with stick figures. It is something I could get behind if it's done right.
Old 10-23-18, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

I'm still baffled that people keep putting money behind these things that are obviously going to fail.
Old 10-23-18, 09:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Any screenshots or video of the "updated" games?
Old 10-23-18, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

That video gave me a headache and made me want to gouge my eardrums out.

I hated the original controllers. The new ones look awful, too.

They're being pretty liberal with the game credits associated with the staff. The CEO listing Pac-Man is a joke. He did audio for Pac-Man World.

Also a lot of funny credits in the Legacy of Firsts list. A complete built-in system font? How groundbreaking. Built-in pause on the controller? Amazing!

A lot of desperation can be seen in this, and I agree with Questyen, that it's bound to fail. I get a 3DO kind of vibe. Also, just realized it's scheduled to be released 2 years from now? Seems like pretty advanced notice and any hype they want to build will be difficult to maintain over that long a period.

That being said, there are some titles that I'll be interested in seeing how they are remade. Certainly all the Atari classics, and Miner 2049er, Moon Patrol, Archon and Loderunner.
Old 10-23-18, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

We're getting something we didn't ask for at a price we won't pay. Brilliant.
Old 10-23-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

At least this doesn’t appear to be a scam console like the proposed Coleco Chameleon a couple years back. That said I’m surprised that someone is backing this and that it’s getting released at that price point. I think the market is very limited at the $150 price point.
Old 10-23-18, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

^ And unlike the other retro game consoles, I'm not sure this one comes with any games. I'm sure it must come with some, but it sure looks like ala carte game purchases from the video.
Old 10-23-18, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool video but apparently it is only 2D gaming, no chance to play modern style games. A lot of cash for a nostalgia based system that’s basically an original console with new controllers.
Old 10-23-18, 05:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I understand that they are trying to cash in on the nostalgia craze, but unlike the Nintendo consoles there's not a lot of nostalgia around these things. When I was growing up, the only kids who had Intellivisions were the ones with confused grannies who couldn't find the Atari 2600 they asked for Christmas.
Old 10-23-18, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 504 Likes on 349 Posts

The team seemed to lack any modern technology expertise but plenty of marketing and capital-attractive namedrops.

I smell scam.
Old 10-23-18, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

I feel we're close to blowing up this whole nostalgia console thing with the re-release of the Jaguar.
Old 10-23-18, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
^ And unlike the other retro game consoles, I'm not sure this one comes with any games. I'm sure it must come with some, but it sure looks like ala carte game purchases from the video.

It does come with games. I'm not sure why this is hidden behind spoiler tags:
SOFTWARE OVERVIEW
• All games are family friendly and rated “E for Everyone” or “E10+”.
• Every game version on the console is EXCLUSIVE.
• Quality over quantity! All games must past a strict quality control seal of approval.
• Balanced gameplay and design for Equal Opportunity Gaming™ for all.
• All games are downloadable and between US $2.99 - $7.99.
• No costly DLC (Downloadable Content) add-on’s or “In-App Purchases”.
• Launch to include several built-in reimagined Intellivision Classics (pre-installed in every console) and over 20 games including both reimagined industry classics and brand new exclusive titles via the Intellivision Online Store.
So game developers can't make anything unsuitable for anyone 10 and under, it can't be a port, it can't cost less than 3 bucks or more than 8 bucks. Who's going to develop for this system?

Say you're developing a 2d game, and are tempted by this. You can't hedge your bets and port it over to/from PSN or Xbox or mobile, you have to design it for this system and this system only.

And then those controllers. I get that those are iconic to the system but really? You're going to develop 2d games like platformers or shooters or whatever and use that or your phone to control them?

And then this "focus on 2d." Has anyone really played a 2d game on a modern console (and they make a ton of them now because of the retro phase and the fact they're cheaper to make) and thought, man the modern console can't handle 2d well enough, I wish something else would. Maybe a few generations ago. Not now. Like is this system going to play something more beautiful than Odin Sphere or Hollow Knight or Ori, and sell the game for less than 8 bucks?

Last edited by fujishig; 10-23-18 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-24-18, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I hid certain sections so it wasn't a giant wall of text. You're welcome.
Old 10-24-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
I hid certain sections so it wasn't a giant wall of text. You're welcome.
Thanks! I do feel like the part I highlighted are pretty important features of the system, though, which many will overlook. Because it's hard to click on the button.
Old 10-24-18, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I understand that they are trying to cash in on the nostalgia craze, but unlike the Nintendo consoles there's not a lot of nostalgia around these things. When I was growing up, the only kids who had Intellivisions were the ones with confused grannies who couldn't find the Atari 2600 they asked for Christmas.
Pretty much, Intellivision was the also-ran to both Atari and Nintendo in the 1980s.

As someone that had an Intellivision back in the day, the games haven't held up in the same way many of the NES games are still enjoyable.
Old 10-24-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Was Intellivision still going strong by the time the NES hit prominence? I always thought their claim to fame was that their graphics were so much better than Atari, and there was no way they could make that claim once the NES showed up.
Old 10-24-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

The problem in my view at least with consoles like Intellivision, Coleco, and Atari (although Atari has somewhat of a following) is that compared to the NES the games don’t really hold up. A big factor in that is how samey a lot of the games look and feel. Most don’t have very discernible/good graphics and are fairly simplistic and oftentimes samey in their gameplay mechanics. They have their place in history for their time, but in my opinion don’t have the mass appeal of something like the NES.

The NES is the first home console to kind of bring games to players that actually felt and looked unique, which makes them more memorable and fun to revisit.
Old 10-24-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

^I would happily play Indy 500 from the Atari VCS (2600). What a blast that game was (tag, ice racing, crash n score). Unfortunately, it needed it's own paddle controllers that didn't work with any other games (well, maybe 1, IIRC).

But, to your point, there aren't a whole lot of other VCS games I would want to play, other than for nostalgia.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.