Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS Vita / PlayStation TV Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-14, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Official PS Vita / PlayStation TV Thread

How does everyone like their Vita? Do you play it? Happy with or regret your purchase? Gamestop online is selling the Borderlands bundle for $169. Thinking of getting PM at BB. Does remote play work well? I need to put all these free PS+ Vita games to good use.
Old 12-11-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Never use mine. But that's no fault of the Vita, it's a really good device, I guess I am just not much of a mobile gamer.
I only ever tried remote play with Fifa, which was pretty pointless since the Vita lacks 2 shoulder buttons which are vital in that game. Otherwise it seemed to play about as well as I would have expected.
Old 12-11-14, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

In theory, I love it. The OLED screen is insanely gorgeous, especially with native resolution games. (There are a lot of upscales, though, even big titles like Uncharted, and they look really fuzzy to my eyes.) Killzone is the best looking portable game I've ever seen, full stop, and it's far and away the best FPS I've played on a handheld. Tearaway is brilliant beyond words. If you have a PS3 or PS4 and are paying for PSN, a Vita is practically a must-have because of the staggering volume of "free" games.

I never play mine, though. Vita suffers from a little bit of an identity crisis because they wanted to bring the console experience to a handheld. I game almost entirely at home, though, so if I want a console experience, I can just play a console. If I traveled more, I'm sure it'd be a godsend, but... My 3DS does get some action because the games feel like something that need to be experienced that way. I wouldn't want to play Tomodachi Life or Animal Crossing on a console, but on a handheld, it's perfect. I love the 3DS for Virtual Console stuff too, and console-potential games like Kirby are still fun to just lay in bed and play. I just haven't found a lot on the Vita that makes me feel that way. The Remote Play aspect appealed to me, but I've never actually used it.
Old 12-11-14, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
In theory, I love it. The OLED screen is insanely gorgeous, especially with native resolution games. (There are a lot of upscales, though, even big titles like Uncharted, and they look really fuzzy to my eyes.) Killzone is the best looking portable game I've ever seen, full stop, and it's far and away the best FPS I've played on a handheld. Tearaway is brilliant beyond words. If you have a PS3 or PS4 and are paying for PSN, a Vita is practically a must-have because of the staggering volume of "free" games.

I never play mine, though. Vita suffers from a little bit of an identity crisis because they wanted to bring the console experience to a handheld. I game almost entirely at home, though, so if I want a console experience, I can just play a console. If I traveled more, I'm sure it'd be a godsend, but... My 3DS does get some action because the games feel like something that needs to be experienced that way. I wouldn't want to play Tomodachi Life or Animal Crossing on a console, but on a handheld, it's perfect. I love it for Virtual Console stuff too. I just haven't found a lot on the Vita that makes me feel that way. The Remote Play aspect appealed to me, but I've never actually used it.
This is exactly where I fall as well. Agree on all counts. Where Vita shines isn't remote play or the "AAA" console games. Where Vita really shines is all of those amazing indie games.

Recent highlights (most free on PS+):

Guacamelee
Spelunky
Fez
Velocity
Binding of Isaac
Minecraft
Steamworld Dig
Dead Nation
Pixeljunk Monsters
Hotline Miami

What these all have in common is that they provide bite-sized sessions...perfect for handheld.
Old 12-11-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've got the PS+ games it's definitely worth picking up. Games have gotten so cheap, like NFS MW was too steep for me at $15 physical, then it was $5 for the download last year, then it was free last weekend. Ys Memories of Celceta was $10 used at Gamestop the weekend before that. I can bring a murderers row of PS1 games on a trip. If you hate independent games, PS1 games, and RPGs (Ys, Persona, FFXs), you're left with very little though - Tearaway, some good fighting ports, a few platformers and assorted ports and remakes.
Old 12-11-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks gang. Yes, I have tons of free Vita games. Might as well put that to good use.
Old 12-11-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

PS+ sells Vitas.
Old 12-11-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

So THAT'S who sells them!
Old 12-12-14, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts

Anyone else doing backflips for Suiokoden 1 & 2 being available now?? If you even remotely enjoy JRPG's do yourself a favor and buy both today. The first was on PSN a while ago but was never available to download/play on Vita.
Old 12-15-14, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bought the BL2 bundle over the weekend at BB with a PM to GS for $169. It was supposed to be a Xmas gift from the kids but I couldn't wait, lol. I really like it so far. First of, remote play is fricking amazing! Was playing Destiny on it and it looked gorgeous and controlled well too. Obviously, I still prefer to play on my 70" tv but next time I'm stuck watching a Lifetime movie with the wife, out comes the Vita. So glad I picked up all of those Plus Vita games the past year. I've got a good stockpile of games waiting for me. I only tried Guacamelee so far (can't remember if that was a Plus freebie or a cross buy when I bought it for PS3) but again, it played real nice on it and was fun too.

Recommend any cases or other accessories? A larger memory card is a given of course.

Also regarding remote play, in theory, could I go to a wifi spot like at Starbucks and play it there? Would games be playable or probably not due to connection?

Thanks
Old 12-15-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
Also regarding remote play, in theory, could I go to a wifi spot like at Starbucks and play it there? Would games be playable or probably not due to connection?

Thanks
I was wondering this as well. Also, do you have to have your PS4 on to remote play with your Vita? The remote play is intriguing to me and I may purchase one when I purchase a PS4 next holiday season.
Old 12-15-14, 09:13 AM

No. Won't work outside of your house. Could in theory, but doesn't actually.

Gooter, I'd buy a travel case. I've had this one since launch and like it a lot.

A big memory card is a must. I'd go for 32 GB, though 16 would hold you for a while.

Does the new Vita charge with just a USB cable? If so, that's cool. Mine requires a power brick and a dedicated cord as well. If yours does too, get this little UBB adaptor so you can travel with just the cable and can use any universal USB charger. Note this is a little different than the one I bought a few years back but should still work

Last edited by Decker; 12-15-14 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-15-14, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Recommend any cases or other accessories? A larger memory card is a given of course.

Thanks
I got one of those wrap-around handles and extended battery things. I like it, holds a longer charge and is more comfortable on my thumbs.

a large memory card is needed yes. I think I got a 32 and it fits tons of games, when that fills up you can transfer your games over to your PC to free up space. and just bring them back if you need it.

Not sure if it works outside of your home wifi, if it does I would assume you would need a very strong upload speed on your internet to make it usable.
Old 12-15-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I was wondering this as well. Also, do you have to have your PS4 on to remote play with your Vita? The remote play is intriguing to me and I may purchase one when I purchase a PS4 next holiday season.
PS4 has to be in rest (standby) mode with the allow remote play option checked in settings.

Originally Posted by decker
Gooter, I'd buy a travel case. I've had this one since launch and like it a lot.
You caught your typo Decker Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 12-15-14, 09:24 AM

You caught your typo Decker Thanks for the recommendation!
Wasn't a typo. Auto-correct!
Old 12-15-14, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Wasn't a typo. Auto-correct!
<--- You knocked Buzz off my profile.

Originally Posted by decker
Does the new Vita charge with just a USB cable? If so, that's cool. Mine requires a power brick and a dedicated cord as well. If yours does too, get this little UBB adaptor so you can travel with just the cable and can use any universal USB charger. Note this is a little different than the one I bought a few years back but should still work
Honestly, I don't know... LOL. Went straight for the Vita itself and bypassed everything else. Will check tonight when home.
Old 12-15-14, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

How does everyone like their Vita? Do you play it? Happy with or regret your purchase? Gamestop online is selling the Borderlands bundle for $169. Thinking of getting PM at BB. Does remote play work well? I need to put all these free PS+ Vita games to good use.
I don't play mine much, but I still think it's a well made, solid device.

I bought a Vita TV yesterday (they're $69 at Best Buy right now) and rather like that thing for the bedroom. PS4 Remote Play works very well on my Wi-fi and it's nice having a spare PS1 of sorts -- plus I may actually play more P4G now.
Old 12-15-14, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
No. Won't work outside of your house. Could in theory, but doesn't actually.
Damn.

That would be awesome if they could or wanted to get that worked out.
Old 12-15-14, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What is a good sale price for the 32GB card?

Anyone have this case from BB (Amazon has a similar one too)? Vita Case

What are the best grips to get? Nyko Power, PDP ... Does the Nyko add a lot of extra weight due to battery?

Thanks
Old 12-15-14, 10:45 AM

Goot, I would definitely hold off on grips and battery packs for now. I find the system itself very comfortable and ergonomic. The newer models are even thinner and lighter and with a longer battery. I really wouldn't bother making it any more bulky or heavy. See if you need anything else first. I'm king of buying unnecessary video game accessories and I think those grips and extended batteries are worthless. I get a good 5 hrs per full charge -- enough for a cross-country plane trip. The new one should last longer. If anything, buy a large portable charger you can plug in if you need it.

Last edited by Decker; 12-15-14 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-15-14, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is a good sale price for the 32GB card?

Anyone have this case from BB (Amazon has a similar one too)? Vita Case

What are the best grips to get? Nyko Power, PDP ... Does the Nyko add a lot of extra weight due to battery?

Thanks
Get the 64 GB card from superufo.com for $85, the 32 GB has never been below $50 and when it is $50 it sells out within minutes. I have the folio case and love it but I don't know if that fits the new Vita.
Old 12-15-14, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same case Decker does and the PDP grips you linked to. Check Best Buy though, I got them for $5.99 during the summer. And the case can be found at Walmart. I think I paid around $10 for that. I would also say if you have the extra $50, pick up the 64GB card over the 32GB. I filled mine up fast with all of the PS+ freebies. It's true that you can always delete and redownload later, but who wants to do that

So I take it the original OLED PS Vitas are long gone by now?
Old 12-15-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the Nyko grip (on the white OLED Vita). it helped alot with hand cramps after playing Persona for 4 straight hours or those intense platforming sections in Guacamelee.
Old 12-15-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I think the grips help on action games (like Uncharted) and racing games.
Old 12-15-14, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You still can't have multiple accounts correct? I want to get my son one for remote play basically but I've been debating if it's worth it as that'd really be it as he wouldn't have access to all the plus games because they're on my account and not his.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.