Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone use the 360 Controller for the PC?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 12:35 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got Oblivion for PC and just cant get used to the keyboard/mouse for controls. It feels so antiquated and clunky cramping my hand and hovering it above the directional keys, losing my place on the keyboard pushing the wrong buttons etc.

I know they sell better dedicated keyboards for this but Id rather use my 360 controller. Anyone use this setup? How is response time? Can you map the buttons?
Old 01-24-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Does anyone use the 360 Controller for the PC?

That's what WASD are for, so you don't have to use the directional keys. You get used to it. I just hate sitting in front of a keyboard/mouse when I'm not at work.

But yeah I use my 360 pad for PC stuff, there are a lot of applications out there to help you maps and what not, though some games are simply not compatible.

This may help you out with getting Oblivion going: http://forum.teamxbox.com/archive/in.../t-504483.html
Old 01-24-11, 12:48 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

no no, I have been using the WASD keys but it's the same thing--You cramp your hand in position and there are no bumps on those keys so if you are watching the screen and your hand moves, you lose track of the keys. I like to sit on the couch to play a game, not at a desk lol
Old 01-24-11, 12:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes, but not for first player games like Oblivion. Mostly for platformers and such. I bought a separate corded controller explicitly for use on my PC. What's great is that more and more games are supporting the 360 controller out of the box, plus I can always plug it into my 360 in a bind.
Old 01-24-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I also use a corded one. It works great for everything that I've tried. Whether or not you can map keys to the buttons depends on the game, not the controller.
Old 01-24-11, 01:29 PM

I use my Street Fighter IV FightStick when playing MAME on the PC, works great.
Old 01-24-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

I use a corded one to play Crysis.
Old 01-24-11, 01:52 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad I'm not the only one who could never get the hang of using a typing apparatus for controlling a fast-paced action game. I understand the appeal of the mouse side of it, but the keyboard side of the equation has always felt clunky to me.
Old 01-24-11, 02:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I like to sit on the couch to play a game, not at a desk lol

Oh god, I hate this antiquated argument. PC gaming hasn't been confined to a desk for years and years. You can use a PC with practically any HDTV that has HDMI. Even if your video card doesn't have HDMI, you can use a DVI to HDMI converter. Using the keyboard and mouse on a TV dinner tray works fine from a couch.

Getting used to PC controls is just something that has to be acquired over time. It also helps to customize the keys to your own liking. I very seldom ever use the default configuration. I play platforming and fighting games like Assassin's Creed and Arkham Asylum on PC without any trouble. In fact, I find Arkham Asylum to be better with mouse and keyboard. With a controller you have to double-tap the left/right triggers to use batarangs and batclaws and the double-tap doesn't always register. With mouse and keyboard, no double-tapping is necessary since you can assign the quick-use items to their own specific button.
Old 01-24-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, that's specifically why I made mention of not liking kb+m instead, everything is playable on TVs these days it seems.

Never found a way to get comfortable with a KB+M on a couch, so I have my wireless 360 pad + dongle (or my wired one, whichever I find faster) that I plug into my laptop or computer, kickback and enjoy whatever it is I feel like playing -- granted the controller is supported. I've long since associated keyboards with work outright, that and I generally feel more in control (even if it's not necessarily true) with a gamepad.
Old 01-24-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a corded one as well. Works great.
Old 01-24-11, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by maingon
I use a corded one as well. Works great.
I'm read it works well with the PC.

A little off topic, but can anyone who uses a corded 360 controller tell me if they have had any problems with the controller. I want to get a corded 360 controller cuz I'm tired of using batteries but other people have posted that the controller stops working not long after they use it, either with the PC or 360.
Old 01-24-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gideon68
I'm read it works well with the PC.

A little off topic, but can anyone who uses a corded 360 controller tell me if they have had any problems with the controller. I want to get a corded 360 controller cuz I'm tired of using batteries but other people have posted that the controller stops working not long after they use it, either with the PC or 360.
Never had any problems myself.
Old 01-24-11, 03:31 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Oh god, I hate this antiquated argument. PC gaming hasn't been confined to a desk for years and years. You can use a PC with practically any HDTV that has HDMI. Even if your video card doesn't have HDMI, you can use a DVI to HDMI converter. Using the keyboard and mouse on a TV dinner tray works fine from a couch.
My PC uses my 60" HDTV, and for web browsing and typing emails, my wireless keyboard can sit in my lap or at an angle just fine. BUT when precise gaming I have to put it on a 'desk' (tv tray) with the mouse next to it. Even remapping the keys is awkward--all the keys are close together with no tactile bumps for 'no look' pressing. Too many keys being close together sucks when you're in the middle of the action. Especially if your keyboard is modern and low profile as opposed to the old "IBM" typewriter keyboards with deep wells between keys.

It is antiquated.

The new gaming keyboards look awesome but I'm not paying that much for the amount of gaming I do on a computer. yet.
Old 01-24-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think "antiquated" is the right term to describe it. Sounds like you just prefer simplicity. Your hand generally rests in the same position so there's little reason to move it off the WASD keys and know where it rests. I never have a problem with key positioning.
Old 01-24-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a wireless 360 controller for the PC and it has always worked great. I recommend it.
Old 01-24-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Originally Posted by Save Ferris

The new gaming keyboards look awesome but I'm not paying that much for the amount of gaming I do on a computer. yet.
I just bought this last week for $29.99 at Woot.

It arrived today. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Seems like a good compromise between a gaming keyboard and a gamepad -- especially at the price.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nAYT8zrrNNY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Anyone try something like this? It seems like a cool solution.
Old 01-24-11, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Anyone try something like this? It seems like a cool solution.
I still have the original n52.

I think the buttons are a bit stiffer than the 52te you bought. And they don't light up. But I only paid $5 bucks for it when Belkin was phasing it out.

I also have the Fang gamepad (another clearance item):

I'm trying to sell both of those, because I didn't care for them. But I have a wired 360 gamepad for platformers. I had the wireless adapter for PC, but sold that after someone offered me $80 for it.
Old 01-25-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the 360 controller on my computer for any games that allow it. It is actually the main reason I bought a corded 360 controller and I came to prefer it for gaming on the Xbox as well. I like never having to worry about batteries and the cord is long enough that it doesn't cause me any issues.
Old 01-25-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't think "antiquated" is the right term to describe it. Sounds like you just prefer simplicity. Your hand generally rests in the same position so there's little reason to move it off the WASD keys and know where it rests. I never have a problem with key positioning.
Yeah. I've never had a problem with key postioning either. I usually use the same key mappings for all my games, so my hand just knows where to go. I also map functions to the extra buttons on my mouse.

I do have a corded 360 controller I use for Beat Hazard and a few other arcade type games on Steam. Otherwise, I prefer mouse/keyboard for everything.
Old 01-25-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

My wife has used a 360 controller to play Final Fantasy XI on the PC for a few years now, and can't do it any other way. She had corded at first, but we did something to the cord so we got a wireless one and that's lasted a while now.
Old 01-25-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
My wife has used a 360 controller to play Final Fantasy XI on the PC for a few years now, and can't do it any other way. She had corded at first, but we did something to the cord so we got a wireless one and that's lasted a while now.
I went through two corded ones, mostly because the cats kept flying through the living room, getting tangled in it and yanking it and the laptop off the stand and careening through the house scared out of their wits, dangling the controller behind them. Then we had a child and he and his playmates would trip over the cords. So yes, the wireless is nice. Batteries aren't too big of an issue on the wireless.
Old 01-25-11, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

12 bucks on Amazon. Airflow feature is nicer than it sounds.
Old 01-25-11, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PrincessT
I went through two corded ones, mostly because the cats kept flying through the living room, getting tangled in it and yanking it and the laptop off the stand and careening through the house scared out of their wits, dangling the controller behind them. Then we had a child and he and his playmates would trip over the cords. So yes, the wireless is nice. Batteries aren't too big of an issue on the wireless.
Don't the 360 controllers have the same breakaway cords that the old Xbox controllers had?
Old 01-25-11, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I was also going to suggest something like the Belkin controller. There's plenty of options besides a keyboard. PC gaming doesn't mean you have to use a keyboard/mouse. I absolutely hate using the keyboard for any kind of game other than a RTS.

Here's what I use for a FPS...