Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-14, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Originally Posted by mhg83
You'll come across a Jester with a broken wheel that needs fixing. Once you do that the Dark Brotherhood quest line should start.

And If you wanna hold off on the Main quest make sure you at least get up to the point where you meet the Greybeards. They teach you a shout that
Spoiler:
Makes you run super fast for a short time.
do you remember near what city the Jester with the broken wheel is at?
Old 07-31-14, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

He's NE of Whiterun
Old 07-31-14, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Is 80 the Max cap? I thought since you can turn skills into legendary there's no more level cap?
Old 08-01-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
He's NE of Whiterun
thanks! found him and started working on the quest line.
I also bought a house in whiterun yesterday
Old 08-01-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Yup, the Whiterun house was definitely my go to house.
Old 08-01-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Yup, the Whiterun house was definitely my go to house.
Me too. Windhelm felt too desolate and Riften too skeevy.

I have the DLC to build my own house, but it seems like too much busy work with having to gather your own supplies, level up and actually build the house. Blech.
Old 08-01-14, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Building your own house is the way to go if you're playing a new character and have the DLC. Lots more storage space, lots more useful features, plus a sense of accomplishment!
Old 08-01-14, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I grabbed Whiterun because I needed storage. Lack of an enchanting lab was a pain... so I took Riften too. Whiterun did have the best setup for alchemy but having one of the other houses is convenient for enchanting.
Old 08-01-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I think I bought every available house, but I never played any DLC.
Old 08-01-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, yeah, I bought every house too, but Whiterun was my main, go-to house, and where I had most of my stuff, including my "wife" and Lydia, and since my character's female, it's a total lesbo house!

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Building your own house is the way to go if you're playing a new character and have the DLC. Lots more storage space, lots more useful features, plus a sense of accomplishment!
Yeah see, I get a sense of accomplishment from building an actual table for actual use in my actual house. Building one in a game makes me feel nothing.

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
... but I never played any DLC.
You gotta get Dragonborn - it's like a legit sequel, with a big new area, easily a solid 25 hour game.
Old 08-01-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah see, I get a sense of accomplishment from building an actual table for actual use in my actual house. Building one in a game makes me feel nothing.
You don't play games for their artistic value, you don't play games for a sense of accomplishment. Honest question - what do you get out of them? (And if your answer is "fun," I'd argue that a sense of accomplishment is intrinsically tied to that when it comes to video games.)
Old 08-01-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its also worth while to get some of the mods. I added one that allows fast travel points in and out of my houses. I also added one that allows easier lock picking. (PC only of course)
Old 08-01-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Well, yeah, I bought every house too, but Whiterun was my main, go-to house, and where I had most of my stuff, including my "wife" and Lydia, and since my character's female, it's a total lesbo house!
Lydia is sworn to carry your burdens! With my wife Mjoll, Lydia, and two adopted daughters, Breezehome was packed with feminine activity for me too (though my character was male).

I'd never pay for Hearthfire on its own ... I got it packaged with the rest (which I suppose other late players like me are getting too). The house building didn't appeal to me either. Seemed like too much Sims-like micromanaging. And that's just not the kind of thing I enjoy.

There's not much to the adopting part, though it was cute. That's another plus for living in Whiterun ... lots of other kids to play with. It seemed like they'd get eaten by monsters playing outside by the houses you build. And they'd get murdered in Riften, Windhelm, and Markath. Solitude seems like it would be a swank home, but I just never got around to it. And I'd feel bad leaving Lydia all alone in Breezehome.

Once one of the girls asked me for a gift, and I said yes even though I didn't think I had anything. Sure enough, it turns out an orcish dagger was an acceptable gift! I give it to the girl, she thanks me, and immediately proceeds to start stabbing the shit out of stuff in the house.

You gotta get Dragonborn - it's like a legit sequel, with a big new area, easily a solid 25 hour game.
Yeah, that's by far the best one. Though Dawnguard added a companion-option who was my favorite in the game.
Spoiler:
Serana, the hot vampire sorceror! Being a melee guy, she complemented my style perfectly. And since she is quest-essential, the game flags her as unkillable, meaning you don't have to worry about her dying on you (like Lydia was so prone to do).

Originally Posted by edstein
Its also worth while to get some of the mods. I added one that allows fast travel points in and out of my houses. I also added one that allows easier lock picking. (PC only of course)
I ended up adding lots of little mods while playing that I didn't even have in mind at the start. It's great, because if something in the game strikes you as annoying, there's probably a mod that fixes it. There were a few just for Smithing: more visible ore (with cool colored streaks in the rock), quicker mining, a smelter for every Blacksmith. At higher levels, I found the gold limit for merchants tedious so I had a mod giving them unlimited gold. I had mods to cut down on the annoying repetitive chatter of followers. And since I married Mjoll I got a mod that kept that creepy bastard Aerin in Riften (appropriately called "Aerin Restraining Order"). Because you don't want to come back to your home, only to find Aerin hovering over your sleeping wife [Spoilered for size]

Spoiler:
Old 08-01-14, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by edstein
I would love to try out some mods but am so scared it'll ruin my 1st playthrough with a corrupted save
Old 08-02-14, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MoviePage
You don't play games for their artistic value, you don't play games for a sense of accomplishment. Honest question - what do you get out of them? (And if your answer is "fun," I'd argue that a sense of accomplishment is intrinsically tied to that when it comes to video games.)
I personally wouldn't equate "fun" with sense of accomplishment. Like, I have zero competitiveness in me, so when I play something like a fighting game, it doesn't matter to me if win or lose, I typically just have fun. And besides the twitch gameplay of platformers/shooters/fighters (which, again, I feel no accomplishment from), I enjoy exploring the worlds in games, like in Skyrim.
Old 08-04-14, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How do you successfully complete the Fishing Job quest for the Thieves guild? I kept getting caught every time. So I leveled sneak skill to 100. Put all my perk points into undetected perk, Cast muffle, and took an invisibility potion. Even after all that I get caught instantly. WTF?! So I tried killing the mark. Failed the quest. The mark still wont go to bed at anytime. This is the second time I've tried this and both times no success. Is this a glitched quest?
Old 08-09-14, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mG2mY9EQy04" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-10-14, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I was hoping for some advice. Should I get the Legendary Edition or the bundle that comes with Bioshock Infinite? Is the extra DLC worth it? I've never played an Oblivion game and I liked Bioshock.
Old 08-10-14, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tough choice. But I'd say there is a ton of game built into basic Skyrim. That will keep you busy for a long time. Bioshock Infinite is really good. I'd get that bundle. Skyrim DLC goes on sale every now and then. Just wait for a deal on the DLC.
Old 08-11-14, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by the General
I was hoping for some advice. Should I get the Legendary Edition or the bundle that comes with Bioshock Infinite? Is the extra DLC worth it? I've never played an Oblivion game and I liked Bioshock.
Well it depends on what system you are buying it for i would say. If you are buying it for the PS3 i would certainyl say buy the Legendary. I got Skyrim when it originally came out and the bugs in the old copies are horredous. Worst slow down i have ever seen in a game. Towards the end of the shelf life of that copy i could move forward and it would take maybe 30 seconds to move just one frame ahead. Simply unplayable. The Legendary version eliminates this. Plus all the DLC are fantastic. Bioshock Infinite is a fantastic game though, so that is definitely worth picking up.

On a side note, i have had Serena as my companion since i ended her quest. She kicks ass in this game. There have been moments when she has caused me some hassle though. I remember one of the last times i played it my character was in one of the bigger castles anbd i accidently stole an item. Well the shit kicked off fast and everysone started attacking. Serena though went apeshit on them and started wiping them out left right and center. I did not want people to get killed off just in case i needed any for unfinished quests so struggled to get the hell away before she did too much damage. This has happened a couple of times. At some point when everything is done i will go on a rampage with her and kill as many as i can. Will be fun.
Old 08-11-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I plan on getting the PS3 version.
Old 08-11-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

No mods for you!
Old 08-13-14, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I got Skyrim when it originally came out and the bugs in the old copies are horredous. Worst slow down i have ever seen in a game. Towards the end of the shelf life of that copy i could move forward and it would take maybe 30 seconds to move just one frame ahead. Simply unplayable. The Legendary version eliminates this. Plus all the DLC are fantastic.
Wouldn't the patch or whatever fixed the slowdown affect the old release also? Or are they somehow 2 different versions of the game?
Old 08-14-14, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Well i am sure the patch would fix it, however buying the Legendary version simply means it comes ready to go and you will not have to download and install patches. Plus any DLC you might want will not need to be downloaded. Getting this version will just save time, money and be hassle free. The game is all kinds of awesome. One of the best games i have ever played for sure.
Old 08-14-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Ok, I asked because I was debating which version to get myself since the vanilla version is on clearance at BB, so with GC discount it can be had for just $13, versus $30 (if you pricematch Amazon) for the Legendary. I ended up buying the Legendary last night, but may yet change my mind.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.