Reload this Page >

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Old 11-08-11, 02:22 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

I didn't have a guide for Oblivion or Fallout 3 (though I would occasionally check out the wiki) and I enjoyed them much more than New Vegas which I had a guide for and ended up using as a crutch.
Old 11-08-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick
I didn't have a guide for Oblivion or Fallout 3 (though I would occasionally check out the wiki) and I enjoyed them much more than New Vegas which I had a guide for and ended up using as a crutch.
My honest opinion is that New Vegas is the lesser of those three. I have enjoyed all three and have the guides for all of them as well. I was really disappointed that they never patched in trophy support for Oblivion.
Old 11-08-11, 04:16 PM
Suspended

I agree, and I'm sure that had more to do with why I didn't enjoy it as much as the others...but I still wish I hadn't used the guide so much, it turned it into too much of a linear experience for me.
Old 11-08-11, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well went to GS after work to paid for it in full. I really hope I get into this.
Old 11-08-11, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll spend an hour just creating your character. Then I'd give it at least another three hours. You should be hooked by then.
Old 11-08-11, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Since there's just no way I'll get around to this until after the holidays I'm considering waiting for the inevitable game of the year edition with all the impending DLC included. We'll see if I can hold out that long. I logged well over 100 hours with Oblivion and played the earlier PC-only games as well so it's a game world I'm anxious to revisit.
Old 11-08-11, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I need to keep in mind that in every Elder Scroll game (and even the last two Fallouts), the first (or even second) character that I create is never the one I go with all the way. I usually play with my first character, almost to the point of frustration, and after a couple hours, I start fresh, creating a new character with a better understanding of how the game plays and how I want to play it.
Old 11-09-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by slop101
I need to keep in mind that in every Elder Scroll game (and even the last two Fallouts), the first (or even second) character that I create is never the one I go with all the way. I usually play with my first character, almost to the point of frustration, and after a couple hours, I start fresh, creating a new character with a better understanding of how the game plays and how I want to play it.
This is a good reason to use a guide or wiki. If nothing else, it can help you understand how leveling works (much different in Oblivion than other RPGs) and helps you plan out a character that will suit your play style.
Old 11-09-11, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
This is a good reason to use a guide or wiki. If nothing else, it can help you understand how leveling works (much different in Oblivion than other RPGs) and helps you plan out a character that will suit your play style.
That's exactly why I use guides/wikis. These games are already long as it is, I don't want to waste hours of my time having to restart. Too many other games I want to play.
Old 11-09-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I hope they improve on the skill / leveling system. I went though the whole game at lvl 3 I could never figure out how to increase my skills. I kept throwing fireballs swinging my sword but my skills never increased.
Old 11-09-11, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^You have to sleep to level up.

Also: goodbye, life! Skyrim Will Have Infinite Quests

Originally Posted by Wired.com
If you like getting bang for your buck, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will give you a nuclear blast.

You’ll never have to stop questing in the upcoming open-world role-playing game, to be released November 11 for Xbox 360, PC and PlayStation 3. Skyrim director Todd Howard told Wired.com in a phone interview Monday that the game will feature a never-ending stream of procedurally generated content, giving players an infinite number of things to do.

“The vibe of the game is that it’s something that you can play forever,” Howard said.

The game’s Radiant quest system randomly generates new tasks based on your progress in the game. An innkeeper might ask you to hunt for bandits in a place you haven’t found yet, or an aspiring alchemist could request that you collect 10 undiscovered flowers for his work. Howard claims that the options are endless.

In addition to these minor tasks, Howard says you’ll be able to do extra work for each of the game’s factions, like the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild. Once you complete the scripted quest lines for each group, you can go to their respective hubs and pick up randomly generated missions to steal gems or assassinate shopkeepers across Skyrim’s massive world.

Though some players might not love the idea of endlessly collecting groups of random ingredients, Howard says that Radiant quests play into one of the game’s major strengths: environmental storytelling. Skyrim’s world is sprinkled with secrets and minor bits of narrative that you’ll have to piece together as you explore, an aspect of game design that Howard says the team picked up while working on their last game, Fallout 3.

“With Fallout, it’s not as beautiful a world to everybody,” he said. “We had to find ways to make exploration of [a destroyed wasteland] interesting.”

For Skyrim, Howard says that Bethesda has learned a few new tricks and gotten better at the old ones. The most enjoyable part of the Radiant system won’t be completing quests, he says, it’ll be the things you discover along the way: bandit-infested fortresses, or a terrifying lighthouse.

“The world is probably the one thing that sets [Skyrim] apart from other games,” he said. “It feels really real for what it is … It’s just fun to explore.”

Wired.com’s full review of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will be published on Thursday.
Old 11-09-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

Sounds cool. Can't wait to try it out.
Old 11-09-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MoviePage
^You have to sleep to level up.

Also: goodbye, life! Skyrim Will Have Infinite Quests
Wow...this feature alone has made me put this one on my Christmas wish list. This game seems more sick every time I read about it. As if Oblivion wasn't bad enough.
Old 11-09-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I wasn't liking the idea at first, but after his explanation, I'm really digging it.
Old 11-09-11, 02:08 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah at first it sounded like you could go to several NPC's and the computer would endlessly generate

"I will give you ___ gold to bring me 10 ____'s"

That isn't a quest.
Old 11-09-11, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved Oblivion. Played it twice through.

I was thinking I'd hold off buying Skyrim but I love me my medieval RPGs.
Old 11-09-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Yeah at first it sounded like you could go to several NPC's and the computer would endlessly generate

"I will give you ___ gold to bring me 10 ____'s"

That isn't a quest.
You've obviously never played Wow.
Old 11-09-11, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any Fallout (from Bethesda) fans out there not that interested in this game?

Besides me.

I love the Fallout games, almost 500 hours spent on both games. But medieval times doesn't sound that attractive to me, or horses, dragons and all that kind of stuff.

I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to get this game and play it.

And no, I've never played Oblivion or any Scrolls game.
Old 11-09-11, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3

Besides me.

I love the Fallout games, almost 500 hours spent on both games. But medieval times doesn't sound that attractive to me, or horses, dragons and all that kind of stuff.

I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to get this game and play it.

And no, I've never played Oblivion or any Scrolls game.
I'm just the opposite. I tried to play Fallout because I loved Oblivion so much, but I couldn't get into the post-apocalyptic, dreary thing. The idea of swords, dragons, forests, and magic is much more appealing to me.
Old 11-09-11, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by freshticles
I'm just the opposite. I tried to play Fallout because I loved Oblivion so much, but I couldn't get into the post-apocalyptic, dreary thing. The idea of swords, dragons, forests, and magic is much more appealing to me.
This 100%

Going from Fallout to Skyrim should be a joy since there are colors other than brown in Skyrim.
Old 11-09-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by xmiyux
This 100%

Going from Fallout to Skyrim should be a joy since there are colors other than brown in Skyrim.
Judging from everything I've seen so far, you're right -- now everything's white and grey! (I'm only half serious about that, but all the trailers and screenshots I've seen have left me a bit worried that the colorful and varied world of Oblivion has been replaced by endless snow-capped dreariness here. It's probably, and hopefully, a needless concern on my part, but it's there nonetheless.)

Originally Posted by Raul3
I can relate to this feeling, as I'm a huge fan of the current-gen Fallout games and preferred both of them to Oblivion. But that game was also an amazing experience and not to be missed, and I have no doubt that Skyrim will be the same. You should really give it a chance if you like the Bethesda style of games. The settings may be different, but at the core they're very similar in many ways. A lot of things that Todd Howard has said about Skyrim lead me to believe they've made it a more Fallout-like experience than Oblivion was as well.
Old 11-09-11, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Judging from everything I've seen so far, you're right -- now everything's white and grey! (I'm only half serious about that, but all the trailers and screenshots I've seen have left me a bit worried that the colorful and varied world of Oblivion has been replaced by endless snow-capped dreariness here. It's probably, and hopefully, a needless concern on my part, but it's there nonetheless.)
Really? The very first trailer I googled up showed snow, forests, hunting wolves, deer, bear-things (all in forested areas), waterfalls, non-snowy mountains etc.
Old 11-09-11, 10:19 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I loved Morrowind...one of the best games of all time. I will be honest though, while I played the shit out of Oblivion, I thought it was a huge step back. The game did not engage me as much as Morrowind....still a great game, but a step back. Fallout 3 is also fantastic, on the same level as Morrowind for me....Fallout New Vegas, also a step back, but not as far as Oblivion...I have HIGH hopes Skyrim is on the Fallout 3/Morrowind level of quality (and I know New Vegas was not made by them)
Old 11-10-11, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by freshticles
Ditto. The sameness of Fallout's setting is what made me give up on it. Though the constant discovery of new and varied locations is what kept me playing Morrowind/Oblivion/Shivering Isles, and hopefully SkyRim.
Old 11-10-11, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

Do they still have the questionaire thing at the beginning that determines your character? I always liked that part.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.