Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Skyrim on sale today $40.19 on Steam.
Old 12-25-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

merry xmas!

i'm playing on normal and finding this game to be really hard at times.
one of the hardest rpg i've ever played.
am i the only one?
if the monsters level with you, what is the point of leveling?

Also, i completed the companions quests and got beast form. but now the option has disappeared. how do i get it back?
Old 12-25-11, 09:49 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Originally Posted by timewaster
merry xmas!

i'm playing on normal and finding this game to be really hard at times.
one of the hardest rpg i've ever played.
am i the only one?
if the monsters level with you, what is the point of leveling?

Also, i completed the companions quests and got beast form. but now the option has disappeared. how do i get it back?
You didn't throw a witches head into the fire, did you?

Otherwise you just select it as a Power like a Shout.
Old 12-25-11, 10:34 AM

I thought it was fairly hard in the early parts, when I was just using Destruction magic and trying to set fire to everything before it could kill me. Later on I switched to using Conjuration more and the game became super easy. Summoning the various things is a big help, especially the Dremora Lords and the Storm attronachs or whatever they are called. Pretty sure I killed a few dragons off-screen using those.

The "Bound Bow" spell is great, too. WAY more powerful than any other bow I've come across.

I finished the "main" quest the other night. Pretty anti-climatic, unfortunately. It was one of those Halo 2 type endings when you think it's just getting good and then it's over. Oh well. To me, the main draw of the game is the various side quest lines and the world itself. I enjoyed (and spent equal time) on just the Dark Brotherhood storyline alone...
Old 12-25-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The game can be pretty challening earlier on, but not everything levels up with you. There are certain enemies that will, in order to keep the game from becoming to easy, but there are many that you'll find can be killed off with a strike or two as you progress. I'm a level 26 or 29... I don't know (have a hard time keeping track, lol)... but I find that working on my blacksmithing so I could make myself some glass armor and a glass weapon, and then improving them all to flawless, has done me wonders. I just got to a point where that leather armor wasn't really cutting it anymore. Now I feel like I'm pretty unstoppable... most of the time. I still get pwnd when somebody just rails me with lightning.
Old 12-25-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the Thieves Guild has anyone had other members try to pickpocket them?

I was talking to Rune when the guild member who came from a rich family crept up on me. I was listen to Rune babble on(I did kinda get the feeling it was a distraction while he was talking) when it caught me off guard when the guy snuck behind me. I was like WTF?! and moved away. He didn't get anything as turned back and hit pickpocket on him to check his inventory.
Old 12-25-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

I lost my follower (Illia) for about the fifth time now. I reloaded every time before so I could get her back, but this time I just let it go. I hit 3 dungeons/caves and was without her for about 5 (game) days, and when I went back to my house in Whiterun, there she was! She wasn't even pissed or anything, lol. I missed her because she is awesome in combat, but losing saves by reloading was a real drag. When followers get lost, will they always come back (as long as they weren't killed)?
Old 12-26-11, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah they will. If it is a House Carl then they will go back to your house, anyone else will return to their own stomping grounds.

A quick question, does anyone know how much damage the bound weapons do? I'm sure it's based on your skill but does anyone know the formula?
Old 12-26-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the tips.
I've being doing 1/2 fighter 1/2 destruction-healing spells while wearing heavy armour.
i get killed very often with just 3-4 hits.
one hand i use destruction-healing spells, one had with mace/axe and it has not been working out for me.
i guess i need to upgrade my conjuration spells. been using the flaming atrioch and she dies very quickly now.

thanks dragon fly.
yes, i threw her head into the fire. but have 3 more which i just stuffed in my house because i thought they weren't needed anymore.
i just added one head (glemonril witch head) back into my inventory and still don't have beast form.
what else do i need to do?

Last edited by timewaster; 12-26-11 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-26-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Love this game and have around 80 hours played. Still though, there are a TON of broken quests...

Right off the top of my head, I have a flute I can't return, I have ingredients I can't give, I have a guy I'm supposed to follow that has disappeared, I'm supposedly waiting for a spell to wear off, and there is at least one door that the occupant never unlocks. I finally gave up and picked it, and he's never home...

Even in a game as huge as this its hard to believe these aren't caught in testing.
Old 12-26-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Even in a game as huge as this its hard to believe these aren't caught in testing.
It's generally a problem of sequencing. Most of those things work fine for 99.99999999% of players, but maybe quest x doesn't complete correctly or item y gets flagged incorrectly if you've done several hundred other variable things in just the right order to break them.
Old 12-26-11, 03:56 PM

I'm not sure how they determine the strength of Bound weapons, or the "base value" of any weapon for that matter. Really wish they could have listed them as being say, 25 damage +xxx modifier for skill / perks.

On my character, the Bound Bow does 120 Damage with Archery at 100, all the proper perks taken, and wearing one of the Shrouded armor pieces that increases Bow damage by 20%-30%. The closest material weapon I have is an Ebony Bow (Fine) which with Ebony arrows does 95 damage.

Bound Sword only does like 25 damage with my One-Handed skill in the high 80's and all the modifier perks. Which is why I don't use it.
Old 12-26-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts

I had a follower for awhile, and he just disappeared. So I hired another, and he got killed by an arrow two minutes into a cave I was exploring

I just finished the Civil War line of quests, and sided with the Stormcloaks.

About 102 hours in, and level 51 now.
Old 12-26-11, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Have they fixed the issue about followers not progressing skills?
Old 12-27-11, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Every time I think the game is getting too easy, I start getting my ass handed to me. This time it's vampires, ugh.
Old 12-27-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I just realized how bad ass Barbas is.

Yes he pushes you around and barks at you.

But this Guy Aggro's like a mofo. 3 Mammoths were hammering him for 10 minutes as me and my follower and shadowmere were hitting them from the back.

Also When I went to the shrine to activate Barbas quest, I stayed back and Barbas cleared out the whole cave of 4 vampires, including a Master Vampire. It was nice.
Old 12-27-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been playing this really hit and miss over the past few weeks and I keep forgetting what I'm supposed to be doing so I broke down and decided to get the strategy guide so I can keep track of where I am and whatnot. Glad to see that the hardcover is back in stock as the paperback seemed too flimsy for long term use. If it ends up being a waste I can use it as a door stop.
Old 12-28-11, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
So I just realized how bad ass Barbas is.

Yes he pushes you around and barks at you.

But this Guy Aggro's like a mofo. 3 Mammoths were hammering him for 10 minutes as me and my follower and shadowmere were hitting them from the back.

Also When I went to the shrine to activate Barbas quest, I stayed back and Barbas cleared out the whole cave of 4 vampires, including a Master Vampire. It was nice.
I've actually just grown accustomed to Barbas. He's more useful than not. Oh looks, a Dragon Priest? Go get him Barbas! What's that? A giant Dwarven robot? There you go boy!

I always let him attack and blast with Destruction. He doesn't take damage from your spells AND he doesn't turn on you. Ever.
Old 12-28-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dragon Fly
I've actually just grown accustomed to Barbas. He's more useful than not. Oh looks, a Dragon Priest? Go get him Barbas! What's that? A giant Dwarven robot? There you go boy!

I always let him attack and blast with Destruction. He doesn't take damage from your spells AND he doesn't turn on you. Ever.
Unlike Shadowmere..who does

Yeah Barbas is annoying..and all these comments about getting shoved off a cliff? Not that hard to avoid.
Old 12-28-11, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Unlike Shadowmere..who does

Yeah Barbas is annoying..and all these comments about getting shoved off a cliff? Not that hard to avoid.
He pushed me off a cliff once, and into a group of pissed off Foresworn. I got skewered from behind by a briarheart. It was kinda funny, actually.

The worst thing Barbas does is follow you into a room and trap you there until you can maneuver around him.
Old 12-28-11, 09:54 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by timewaster
yes, i threw her head into the fire. but have 3 more which i just stuffed in my house because i thought they weren't needed anymore.
i just added one head (glemonril witch head) back into my inventory and still don't have beast form.
what else do i need to do?
if you only threw one head into the fire, all you did was cure

Spoiler:
the head of the Companions

You need to throw a second head in to cure yourself. I believe that when you do this, it warns you that you will permanently lose your werewolf abilities. If you do this, there is no way to get them back.

On the magic menu, check the Powers tab. If there's no werewolf form there ( and you've already progressed through the Companions quest to the point where you got the powers) it means you're cured and there's no way to get the powers back short of going back to an earlier save.
Old 12-29-11, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 164 Posts

Bah, I don't need no follower when I can cast two dremora lords who I named Bill and Ted.

"A CHALLENGE IS NEAR"

"ARE YOU PREPARED TO FACE YOUR DEATH"
Old 12-30-11, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I did a bit of exploring and kept getting my butt handed to me wherever I went with my weak armor. So I took two hours of my time and the gold I had and upgraded to daedric armor. It was easier than I thought and now I look all cool. I also upgraded my warhammer and bow to legendary daedric too. I feel like a bad-ass now. Bandits with no armor and one-hit kills now and those with armor are only 3 or 4.
I'm currently level 27 and have about 30 hours of playtime.

Oh, getting my smithing all the way up to 90 also got me quite a few level ups and a stash of perks that I haven't used yet.

I'm not ready to go tackle some of the quest I completely ignored while exploring. I am liking this game way better than Fallout 3 (which I enjoyed thoroughly).
Old 12-30-11, 09:32 AM

What exactly did the Empire do? Skyrim has always been part of the Empire; it was founded by a Nord. The Stormcloaks seem like a bunch of xenophobic savages led by a megalomaniac demagogue who can't even fully control his own city. Are there any Achievments that can only be gotten by siding with the Stormcloaks? If there aren't any, I'd rather start over and side with the Empire.
Old 12-30-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

Well, since my character's a Nord AND we're in Skyrim, siding with the Stormcloaks was the only logical choice, really. It also makes more sense to be against the Empire with certain mission-arcs such as the Dark Brotherhood and some others.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.