Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Originally Posted by superfro
Thanks for confirming. That bugs me quite a bit. I have maxed out the abilities that fit my playstyle that I've been using for the past 100+ hours and seem to have hit a complete wall in terms of leveling up. I LOVE that the game levels you in response to your play style, but I feel at this point it's penalizing me for staying true to that style. So I'll have to do other things that I don't really have any interest in in order to progress. I find that counterproductive I guess.
Have you maxed Illusion? If not, just buy Muffle and use it as you run through towns. That should gain you a level or two by itself if your Illusion is currently real low like mine was.

Pickpock is easy to raise too. Go to inns late at night and steal from people sleeping.
Old 12-07-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Just train those skills you don't use.
Yes..I understand how to increase further, but that doesn't mean it really fits in with how they encourage you play the game up till that point. To shut off rewards unless you go around and do a bunch of shit you normally wouldn't is kind of lame. I guess I just don't understand why they didn't build any experience leveling into discovering locations and at least doing main story missions.
Old 12-07-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
I was clearing out some kind of thieves den last night. Found a hidden treasure check with an "expert" lockpicking.

I never do much lockpicking because I use my perks for other stuff and the "novice" ones aren't really worth it.

Since I had a ton of lockpicks, I figure I would give it a shot. It took me about 25 lockpicks but I got that puppy open.

It jumped my lockpicking skills about 4 or 5 levels, haha. Maybe there is something to lockpicking after all!
lockpick skill everyone should up that sucker..You miss out on a LOT
Old 12-07-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Or maybe he killed himself due to an overwhelming sense of rejection cause you were a dick and did stuff without him.
When I cross over rocky outcroppings or down hillsides/across rivers..she always gets stuck. Many times I just do this to 'unlock' areas so I can fast travel later.
Old 12-07-11, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes..I understand how to increase further, but that doesn't mean it really fits in with how they encourage you play the game up till that point. To shut off rewards unless you go around and do a bunch of shit you normally wouldn't is kind of lame. I guess I just don't understand why they didn't build any experience leveling into discovering locations and at least doing main story missions.
Why would you need perks for skill trees you don't use
Old 12-07-11, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by timewaster
how do the stone things work?
you touch it and you have it for good? or do they only last for a certain amount of time?
Last until you hit another stone

also, do your followers level up when you level up?

Apparently they don't I thinkt he only ones that level when you level are the DB initiates.
Old 12-07-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
When I cross over rocky outcroppings or down hillsides/across rivers..she always gets stuck. Many times I just do this to 'unlock' areas so I can fast travel later.
Whatever helps you sleep at night dude. But now look what it got ya.
Old 12-07-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whatever helps you sleep at night dude. But now look what it got ya.
Its alright, I was going to upgrade her with Mjoll anyways..and she CANT die
Old 12-07-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why would you need perks for skill trees you don't use
Well even the 3 or 4 skills I have maxed to 100 I don't have enough perks for at Level 39, but regardless, I wasn't so much looking at the perk angle but more just increasing base stats and leveling up in general. To get to 50 I'm just going to have to do a bunch of dumb shit I wouldn't normally do. For such an immersive game it seems counterproductive to the experience.
Old 12-07-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well even the 3 or 4 skills I have maxed to 100 I don't have enough perks for at Level 39, but regardless, I wasn't so much looking at the perk angle but more just increasing base stats and leveling up in general. To get to 50 I'm just going to have to do a bunch of dumb shit I wouldn't normally do. For such an immersive game it seems counterproductive to the experience.
It could be better, but it is still miles ahead of Oblivion where you could literally stay at level 5 and max out all but a handful of skills. Or Fallout where you don't have to really choose anything and end up with all of your skills maxed out by the end.
Old 12-07-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It could be better, but it is still miles ahead of Oblivion where you could literally stay at level 5 and max out all but a handful of skills. Or Fallout where you don't have to really choose anything and end up with all of your skills maxed out by the end.
Agreed. I'm just being a baby.
Old 12-07-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So a new patch (1.3) is up on Steam.

Patch 1.3 Notes:

General stability improvements
Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs
Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles
Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly
Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes
Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading
Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate
That dragon note is ambiguous. I wonder if it fixes the reverse flying, invincible dragons... or some other error.
Old 12-07-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What I wish they would do is make the maximum level higher for major skills. Say you would get up to 120 instead of 100, or something like that. That way, your late game character would still be better in the major skills, even if you can max out everything.
Old 12-07-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe it's to encourage you to try new playstyles? I know that's counterproductive to a true RPG experience, unless you want to think of it as playing someone who's become so good at his specialties that he gets bored with them and decides to make learning a life experience.

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Fucking lost my follower when I told him to wait so I could sneak into town and murder a bitch.

Does he re-appear after I fast travel? NOPE.

Come on Bethesda
Are you sure you've checked back at that exact same spot? As my favorite companion J'Zargo likes to say in a maybe-sarcastic tone when I tell him to wait, "Here? Right here?"

But yeah, I can't believe that a companion compass marker is something that Bethesda neglected to put in the game. Fallout: New Vegas started out without one, but there were so many complaints about missing or lost followers that they eventually added one in a patch (yeah, I know, game's not technically Bethesda, but close enough that they should have taken note).
Old 12-07-11, 02:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I want to roll a "Lord Fauntleroy" character who never goes on quests or gets in fights, but levels up purely from paying trainers.
Old 12-07-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I want to roll a "Lord Fauntleroy" character who never goes on quests or gets in fights, but levels up purely from paying trainers.
What? Are you just gonna pickpocket everyone and pay the trainers?
Old 12-07-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

All I want patched is to stop the game from crashing to the desktop and categorized storage chests. Mainly I want the latter. Every things a mess in my storage chest.has the former or latter been fixed yet?

Last edited by mhg83; 12-07-11 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
What I wish they would do is make the maximum level higher for major skills. Say you would get up to 120 instead of 100, or something like that. That way, your late game character would still be better in the major skills, even if you can max out everything.
What benifit would it have to most skills though? All the magic skills just let you cast higher level spells (which max out at 100). Same with lockpicking. And there are no major skills in this game like there were in Oblivion. The inital bonuses you get don't really do anythign other than let you obtain the higher level perks sooner (or cast higher level spells sooner).
Old 12-07-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
All I want patched is to stop the game from crashing to the desktop and categorized storage chests. Mainly I want the latter. Every things a mess in my storage chest.has the former or latter been fixed yet?
Definitely the chests, if my Character can be categorized why not chests
Old 12-07-11, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by foxdvd
magic stone thingy

actually it is The Tower Stone...and I think it has a limit of one pick a day...

I really liked The Steed Stone (adds 100 pounds to weight limit and armor adds no movement penalty) and The Lord Stone (Gain 50 points to damagae resistance, resist magic by 25%)...in fact the Lord Stone when combined with the 50% reduction in elemental damage from your shield perk makes you near invincible to magic/dragons (at least before the patch fucked that up)...throw in one decent ring that increases magic resistance and its even better...
If you add magic resistance does this help with all kinds of magic, including frost and shock?

Also for the shield resistance, does it only work when you are actually blocking whatever magic they are throwing your way, or is it constant?
Old 12-07-11, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by House
If you add magic resistance does this help with all kinds of magic, including frost and shock?

Also for the shield resistance, does it only work when you are actually blocking whatever magic they are throwing your way, or is it constant?
Yes to the first question. Fire, ice, and lightning.

Not sure about the second question, as I have yet to use a shield in this game.
Old 12-07-11, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Just got my OXM magazine today and it received Game Of The Year 2011 award.

Congrats Bethesda.
Old 12-07-11, 11:11 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by House

Yes you have to have your shield up...but it seems to work even if they hit you from the back or side if your shield is up...also there is perk that lets you move at full speed while having your shield up...so if the magic user is backing up while hitting you with fire...you can close on them quick while not taking damage...

Also if you spend time on your shield...a bash will do almost as much damage as a sword...stun your target...and break even their power strikes...it makes combat much more enjoyable..and less a button masher. You have to time your blocks...bashes and sword swings..and if you do it right you can take out 5 or 6 hard enemies without taking a sliver of damage (that is when the game is set to one level lower than the hardest difficulty)
Old 12-08-11, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any word on the patch to fix the Xbox patch yet?
Old 12-08-11, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Any word on the patch to fix the Xbox patch yet?
No update on the Bethesda blog or the forums since they said that it's "in final testing" 2 days ago.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.