Reload this Page >

Offical Donkey Kong Country Returns Thread

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Offical Donkey Kong Country Returns Thread

Old 11-21-10, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Offical Donkey Kong Country Returns Thread

I'm a couple levels into the 2nd area, and it's not "insanely" hard yet, but getting difficult as it goes - and like I said, extra difficult if you want to grab every item. But at this rate, it should be insane hard a couple more areas in, as that video above can attest.
Old 11-22-10, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am in 3-4. the difficulty hasnt been anything crazy yet, but ive had fun losing quite a few lives in some tricky spots.

the environments are AMAZING and unmatched by any other game. this is how 2d platforming is done!
Old 11-22-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
the environments are AMAZING and unmatched by any other game. this is how 2d platforming is done!
QFT!

Just started the game and played the first sunset level.

Simply beautiful.
Old 11-22-10, 11:54 PM

i love how the environments are so interactive. huge structures collapsing around you when blasting around in barrels, the mine cart stages, shooting into multiple depths with barrels. definitely the wii's best offering, along with SMG 1 & 2
Old 11-23-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ don't forget Kirby's Epic Yarn! It's an easy, relaxing game, but right up there with the best Wii games.
Old 11-23-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Debating on grabbing this later this evening.
Old 11-23-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

BTW : At Kmart, I mentioned you get two $10 gaming coupons if you buy the game using your rewards card. What I didn't realize is that those two coupons have different bar codes, so you can use them together to save $20 on a single item over $20 if you want. Coupons are valid 11/28- 1/2011 (can't remember the exact date).
Old 11-23-10, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
^ don't forget Kirby's Epic Yarn! It's an easy, relaxing game, but right up there with the best Wii games.
really? because i got through like 4 stages and thought it was easilly one of the dullest games ive ever played. i was really looking forward to it after the positive reviews and because it's a 2d platformer. maybe ill have to try it again.

i know this for a fact: i HATED the cutesy cut scenes. and collecting furniture for my apartment.
Old 11-23-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I suppose it's all about expectations.
I went in expecting a cutesy relaxing game that just breezes over you.
But I was mostly bowled over by the sheer creativity behind the game.
The apartment furniture thing is lame, but it does open up some interesting mini-games and challenges.
Old 11-23-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
BTW : At Kmart, I mentioned you get two $10 gaming coupons if you buy the game using your rewards card. What I didn't realize is that those two coupons have different bar codes, so you can use them together to save $20 on a single item over $20 if you want. Coupons are valid 11/28- 1/2011 (can't remember the exact date).
I got this at Kmart today using a prior $20 Coupon that was about to expire and only got one $10 Coupon instead of two. Do you only get two if you have a rewards card?
Old 11-23-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, Kmart is really starting to tick me off. I bought DKC on Sunday but only got one $10 gaming coupon. I wasn't aware I needed to be a rewards member, so I am to blame for that one, no big deal.

I stopped back in the day after, got a rewards card, and returned DKC and got the cash money back. I went back to electronics, got the game, had them scan my new rewards card, and bought another copy with the cash I just got refunded back to me. Did I get two $10 gaming coupons? Nope! It just printed one off just like it did before when I didn't use the rewards card in the first place. I believe they didn't even activate my card.

Ugh.

Now I know this may sound shady, but I'm ok with asking since Kmart screwed up the second visit - I now have two $10 gaming coupons, one from the first purchase that I returned and one from the second purchase. Will the first one work even though I returned that game? If so I'll just not worry about returning and rebuying, yet again. This is my first experience with these Kmart gaming coupons and so far I'm not impressed.
Old 11-23-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

They both should work unless they changed things, which I doubt. Not only did I get two $10 coupons, but I got emailed two as well. If they really plan on mailing coupons like this, I hope they're individual use ones like best buy rewards certificates or they will get robbed blind. We won't know much until they become active next week.
Old 11-23-10, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The level you need the key for in level 1..just..

Oh. my. God.

So beautiful.
Old 11-23-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yea, the graphics and music in this game are TOP NOTCH. Glad I decided to pick this one up. Love some of the new gameplay.
Old 11-24-10, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Brent L
Ok, Kmart is really starting to tick me off. I bought DKC on Sunday but only got one $10 gaming coupon. I wasn't aware I needed to be a rewards member, so I am to blame for that one, no big deal.

I stopped back in the day after, got a rewards card, and returned DKC and got the cash money back. I went back to electronics, got the game, had them scan my new rewards card, and bought another copy with the cash I just got refunded back to me. Did I get two $10 gaming coupons? Nope! It just printed one off just like it did before when I didn't use the rewards card in the first place. I believe they didn't even activate my card.

Ugh.

Now I know this may sound shady, but I'm ok with asking since Kmart screwed up the second visit - I now have two $10 gaming coupons, one from the first purchase that I returned and one from the second purchase. Will the first one work even though I returned that game? If so I'll just not worry about returning and rebuying, yet again. This is my first experience with these Kmart gaming coupons and so far I'm not impressed.
Actually, if you email the guy over at CAG about this, he's supposed to hook you up as it happened to a lot of people. i can't personally vouch for it, but they seem to be happy with him. I applied online right before i went to kmart, got my temporary rewards number, gave it to the cashier and 2 coupons printed out.

cut and pasted:

Customer Questions/Comments:

General Feedback, Promotional Ideas or Anything Else

SHC-Gamer - Josh Deane [email protected]
Kmart/Sears Official Rep
If you need help with a customer issue be very detailed and provide your phone number.
Old 11-25-10, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As much as I'm loving this game, I have to say the rocket barrel levels that require you to mash the A button in order to fly may be the single worst game mechanic ever to make it into a first party Nintendo game. Ugh.
Old 11-27-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy shit, this game looks to be really difficult:

<embed src="http://digitalchumps.com/plugins/hwdvs-videoplayer/jwflv_v5/mediaplayer.swf" width="427" height="240" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="file=http://video.digitalchumps.com/111910-dkcreturns-1_digitalchumps.flv&linktarget=_blank&link=http%3A%2F%2Fdigitalchumps.com%2Findex.php%3Foption%3Dcom_hwdvideoshare%26Itemid%3D535%26task%3 Dviewvideo%26video_id%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fvideo.digitalchumps.com%2F111910-dkcreturns-1_digitalchumps.flv%2Chttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.digitalchumps.com%2Fimages%2Fthumbs%2Fdkcreturns1.jpg&bufferlength=7&volume=90&controlbar=over&autostart=false&displayclick=link&abouttext=Digitalchumps HD Video&aboutlink=http://www.digitalchumps.com&backcolor=333333&frontcolor=cccccc&lightcolor=ffffff&screencolor=000000&type=http&image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.digitalchumps.com%2Fimages%2Fthumbs%2Fdkcreturns1.jpg&plugins=gapro-1&gapro.accountid=UA-368598-10&gapro.trackstarts=true&gapro.trackpercentage=true&gapro.tracktime=true" />
That level is in the first world I had a heck of a time getting the gold medal in time attack for that one.
Old 11-27-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

That level isn't in the first world.
Old 11-27-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
That level isn't in the first world.
Learn-to-play. Collect K-O-N-G in all of the levels in the first world and that level most certainly opens up.
Old 11-27-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, it's level 1-K.
Old 11-28-10, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, a few worlds in and this game is too fucking hard - and not hard in a "wow, that was challenging but fair" sort of way. No, hard as in "the game developers are just being assholes" way.
Old 11-28-10, 09:36 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Hard, yes. But shouldn't 2-d platformers in the year 2010 be somewhat difficult? That's what multiple red balloons in each level are for. Enjoying the creativity of it.
Old 11-28-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, a few worlds in and this game is too fucking hard - and not hard in a "wow, that was challenging but fair" sort of way. No, hard as in "the game developers are just being assholes" way.
I'll agree that whoever put in the level "Crowded Cavern" is absolutely an asshole.
Old 11-28-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atxbomber
I'll agree that whoever put in the level "Crowded Cavern" is absolutely an asshole.
The only part in that level that gave me any trouble was steering the bat and his blasts out of the way so I could get that G. Other than that, it wasn't bad.
Old 11-29-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love and desire hard 2D platforming games like this. They sure weren't a breeze back in the day and I love when developers have the balls to go that route these days.

I am having an absolute ball with this one.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.