Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

SEGA: "Quality of console games in the Sonic franchise hasn’t been acceptable".

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-15, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.marketingweek.com/2015/10...o-smartphones/

With a hugely popular smartphone game and an animated kids show getting renewed for a second series, Sonic the Hedgehog remains crucial to the Sega brand. Even if getting the actual games right remains a challenge.

Rooke explains: “Sega has publically apologised to the fans as the quality of console games in the Sonic franchise hasn’t been acceptable over recent years. It’s been tough translating that iconic side scrolling 2D experience from the 90s into 3D but Sonic is still huge for us so the new games will be more inspired by how it played in its heyday.”

Listening to fans remains key to Sega’s strategy. For years hardcore gamers have called for Sega to release a third title in the Dreamcast’s Shenmue series, which is set around a teenage martial arts expert in rural China.

But their pleas were repeatedly ignored until earlier this year when its original developer Yu Suzuki unexpectedly announced a $2m kickstarter campaign in order to get Shenmue 3 finally made after Sega handed him over the license. The hugely popular campaign ultimately raised over $6m and became the sixth most funded campaign in the crowdfunding website’s history.”

Yes, we want to innovate and back smartphones and virtual reality but our key purpose is to go back to what the brand used to stand for and I think the buzz around Shenmue 3 shows that people love our legacy,” adds Rooke, who says Sega is currently “exploring ways” to re-release the original two Shenmue titles.

“Sega was an innovator, the Dreamcast was offering online gaming as early as 1998. But perhaps back then we were pushing boundaries a little too soon. Nowadays we know what we’re good at and the strategy is to be more gradual. Over the next few years, we want to use engaging content and marketing to remind the public why they fell in love with Sega in the first place.”
Pretty much agree, unfortunately. The bits of enjoyment I've had with the recent Sonic entries have all been with caveats. It'd be nice to see them rally behind this enthusiasm and release a solid update for the franchise.
Old 10-28-15, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: SEGA: "Quality of console games in the Sonic franchise hasn’t been acceptable".

At least they admit it. Honestly I'd like to just see a new side scrolling type Sonic game. Just bring things back to basics only with new stages and whatnot. I haven't played much of the newer games but from what I have they definitely aren't great.
Old 10-28-15, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: SEGA: "Quality of console games in the Sonic franchise hasn’t been acceptable".

Some 2D games are just meant to be. They need to realize this.

Last edited by Sonic; 10-28-15 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-28-15, 07:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think I've played any of the 3D Sonic games. The last one I played was a 2D game on the DS, I don't remember what the name of it was.
Old 10-28-15, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by antspawn
Some 2D games are just meant to be. They need to realize this.
Castlevania is a prime example of that.

Although I thought Sonic Generations was pretty decent - maybe not great, but a solid effort. Of course part of it was in 2D.

I'm really glad to hear they are going to try to release the first two Shenmue games, hopefully at least on the platforms that are getting S3.
Old 10-28-15, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl

Although I thought Sonic Generations was pretty decent - maybe not great, but a solid effort. Of course part of it was in 2D.

I'm really glad to hear they are going to try to release the first two Shenmue games, hopefully at least on the platforms that are getting S3.
After Bloodborne, I'm not sure that's true about Castlevania, they just haven't done it right. Though they got kind of closer with the first Lords of Shadow.
Old 10-28-15, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I really liked Sonic Generations.

Not really sure what they were thinking with those WiiU exclusives though.
Old 10-28-15, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Yes.
Old 10-29-15, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
After Bloodborne, I'm not sure that's true about Castlevania, they just haven't done it right. Though they got kind of closer with the first Lords of Shadow.
Is Bloodborne like Dark Souls? Because I think of Dark Souls as more of a modern Ghouls 'N Ghosts than Castlevania.
Old 10-29-15, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Is Bloodborne like Dark Souls? Because I think of Dark Souls as more of a modern Ghouls 'N Ghosts than Castlevania.
Bloodborne is a derivation from Dark Souls that revolves around a single Victorian-era location and more action oriented gameplay (no shields). It's much more similar to C-vania than Dark Souls, which was as you said was a bit more Ghouls N Ghosts.
Old 10-29-15, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

The running through the level parts of Sonic Adventure were great. But when you were forced to slow down and walk, or do any of the other shit, it came to a halt. First level of SA2 was also pretty amazing. Those both got it right in that you're trying to get to the goal and can run fast while doing so. Haven't played much of the other stuff in the past...14 years.