Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Anyone have the Kingdoms of Amalur add-ons? Just got the game and plan to start playing soon. Curious if they are worth the sale.
Yes. They're both worth the sale price, especially Dead Kel. I'd grab them now since it's the first time they've been on sale and with what happened to 38 Studios, who knows what the future holds.

I'm glad they're finally putting some different stuff up as DotW. I'll grab all the Saints Row 3 content next week.
Old 08-07-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

You're gonna wait for a sale that may never happen on something that's only $5 to begin with?

<----(Still waiting for Frogger to go on sale, and it's been 400 points for over six years now.)
Old 08-07-12, 02:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MWB
You're gonna wait for a sale that may never happen on something that's only $5 to begin with?

<----Still waiting for Frogger to go on sale, and it's been 400 points for over six years now.
True, there are items I've waited for a sale that have never come to fruitition. Therefore either I break down and eventually buy it (rare but happens) or just say screw it and move on. I have so much in my pile of shame that honestly if a XBLA game or DLC does not want to go on sale, its probably doing me a favor.
Old 08-07-12, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Yes. They're both worth the sale price, especially Dead Kel. I'd grab them now since it's the first time they've been on sale and with what happened to 38 Studios, who knows what the future holds.

I'm glad they're finally putting some different stuff up as DotW. I'll grab all the Saints Row 3 content next week.
So Kel and Teeth then? The other pack looks to just be weapons and those are normally never worth it.
Old 08-07-12, 03:09 PM

i got them both, but after spending 80+ hours in the main game and another 10 in the first expansion, the 2nd wore on me. i'd do teeth first, then dead kel. some new weapon types in that one
Old 08-07-12, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by xmiyux
So Kel and Teeth then? The other pack looks to just be weapons and those are normally never worth it.
Correct all around.
Old 08-07-12, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kedrix
True, there are items I've waited for a sale that have never come to fruitition. Therefore either I break down and eventually buy it (rare but happens) or just say screw it and move on. I have so much in my pile of shame that honestly if a XBLA game or DLC does not want to go on sale, its probably doing me a favor.
I've spent the last couple of years waiting for a couple of Pac-Man picture packs to go on sale from their ridiculous price of 190 points each. But the other day, I had the points (and probably a little too much alcohol) and went and bought them both. And I gotta say, for as much of a ripoff as those things were, not having to check their prices anymore, or not having to worry about whether or not they might be delisted anymore, made it totally worth it. Now I wish I would have bought them a long time ago.
Old 08-07-12, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

The two Mutant Storm games never went on sale, even once in over four years. They're both still 800 points making them laughably overpriced and laughably dated at the same time. Somehow I ended up getting some sort of a Mutant Storm game or compilation on Steam recently. It provided a few minutes of entertainment and was sort of nice looking in a Geometry Wars or radiangames sort-of-way, but seriously I bet they haven't sold a single unit on XBLA in years.
Old 08-07-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the recs. I am downloading the two expansions now and will start on Kingdoms tonight or tomorrow. I could use a break from Skyrim for a bit.
Old 08-08-12, 05:00 PM

Well, this is an ignoble Summer of the Arcade first : Hybrid had such server problems that it's been pulled from the Marketplace! Spectacular promotion this year, Microsoft. Can't wait for Winter of the Arcade.
Old 08-08-12, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, downloadable games have been for shit lately. I can't remember when the last good one came out. I guess Fez, but that had all sorts of technical issues - which is weird for a 2D platformer game.

If this is the way the industry's headed, shouldn't doanloadble games be getting better and more solid - seems like the opposite is happening.
Old 08-08-12, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, downloadable games have been for shit lately. I can't remember when the last good one came out.
I remember a really good one that came out yesterday.
Spoiler:
It just didn't come out on XBLA!
Spoiler:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zfPbJE6XDxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-08-12, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if anyone has said this to MS about XBLA yet...

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-wntX-a3jSY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-08-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, downloadable games have been for shit lately. I can't remember when the last good one came out.
Zuma's Revenge is a great game, but it's been on PC, iPhone, and other platforms forever.
Old 08-14-12, 11:34 AM

Just when I'd given up on the Summer of the Arcade, it looks like Dust might actually be excellent.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nNP31Z-wu9U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Suddenly I think I might just buy that one at full price. Somehow, I had thought it was a 2D fighting game. Turns out it's a metroidvania platformer-- just my favorite type of game. I'll be sure to try the demo tomorrow morning before work.

Last edited by Decker; 08-14-12 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-14-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Just when I'd given up on the Summer of the Arcade, it looks like Dust might actually be excellent.
Oh yeah - I've been following this one for a while now, and have even talked to the creator of the game (just ONE guy did the whole thing) through email and stuff. He's been working on it forever and is a pure perfectionist - the game can't be anything but great.
Old 08-14-12, 01:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Lately XBLA has been a way to demo games before I buy them cheap a few months later on Steam.
Old 08-15-12, 09:55 AM

I just played some of the Dust demo before work. Wow, I really like it. It's sort of like Bastion in a way, but the combat is much more enjoyable. It looks gorgeous and is the first XBLA game since Bastion with good voice acting. I think I'll be buying it soon...
Old 08-15-12, 10:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Unfortunate name for a game, since there was a "From Dust" that was part of summer of arcade a couple years ago.
Old 08-15-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked the demo, but not enough to put me into "must buy now!" mode. It will join the ever-growing backlog of 1200-point games that I'll grab someday at 800 points or less.
Old 08-19-12, 05:31 PM

Well, I decided I couldn't wait and just bought Dust today. I must say, I really like it -- it's better than the demo even. Good story with solid voice acting, great looking graphics. Pretty good combat (mostly button mashing, but some combos and chain multipliers to make things interesting). It's a big game, I hear 11 hours or more. Glad I finally found a good quality XBLA game to pick up.

Also happy that World of Kefflings got updated. Not exactly like "free DLC", but the Avatar Famestar stuff gives you new scenarios and new missions to do on a weekly basis, which is nice since once you finished the main game and the DLC, there wasn't anything else to do. It's a pretty stupid game overall, but for some reason I still really enjoy it.
Old 08-21-12, 09:26 AM

I can never make this look nice like MWB does, but here's the bi-weekly update:

Originally Posted by Major Nelson
Xbox LIVE Arcade Release Date MS Points
Counter Strike: Global Offensive 22-Aug 1200
JOJO’s Bizarre Adventure HD 22-Aug 1600
Rock Band Blitz 29-Aug 1200

Add-ons Release Date MS Points
Mass Effect 3: Leviathan 28-Aug 800

Deal of the Week Discount Dates Price
TNT Racers 21-Aug to 27-Aug 400 (50% off)
Faery 600 (50% off)
Crazy Machine Elements 400 (50% off)
Dead Block 400 (50% off)
Dead Block – More Dead to Block Map Pack 120 (50% off)
Skydrift 600 (50% off)
Skydrift – Extreme Fighters Pack 80 (50% off)
Skydrift – Gladiator Pack 200 (50% off)

Ubisoft 28-Aug to 3-Sept
Assassin’s Creed Revelations Ancestors Character Pack 160 (50% off)
Assassin’s Creed Revelations Mediterranean Traveler Map Pack 400 (50% off)
Assassin’s Creed Revelations The Lost Archive 400 (50% off)
Assassin’s Creed Revelations – Codex 120 (50% off)
Assassin’s Creed Revelations – Eagle 120 (50% off)
Assassin’s Creed Revelations – Piece of Eden 120 (50% off)

Special Sales Discount Dates Price
Kinect Central- Forza Motorsport 4 May TopGear Car Pack 21-Aug to 27-Aug 280 (50% off)
Kinect Central – The Gunstringer: El Diablo’s ‘Merican Adventure 28-Aug to 3-Sept 120 (50% off)

Rockstar Publisher Sale 28-Aug to 3-Sept Up to 50% off
Old 08-21-12, 10:09 AM

I don't know if anybody has looked at the Chain Reaction part of Sales and Specials app. I actually lucked into the final part of the Bioshock 2 chain recently. I had bought everything except Minerva's Den during a sale at half off. So I was quite happy when the final part of the chain was Minerva's Den at 600 points off (or a mere 200 points). I jumped at it naturally. Probably won't get another one as part of the chain for the whole rest of the year, but at least that one worked out well.
Old 08-21-12, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
I can never make this look nice like MWB does
Aww, shucks. . .

I think I've said this before, but I just do "print screen," crop it, and put it on imgur.com. I'm a complete moron when it comes to computer stuff, so if I can do it, anyone can.

Also, the Games on Demand version of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II is on sale for $10/800 today only.
Old 08-21-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

The Scott Pilgrim DLC/online play has been delayed until the fall:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/20/sc...ed-until-fall/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.