Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-12, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Mine allowed "coming", "balls", "laid" and " nuts"! Tee-hee.
Old 01-26-12, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by Decker
Mine allowed "coming", "balls", "laid" and " nuts"! Tee-hee.
Why do you hate games?!
Old 01-26-12, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love how I say "dick"tionary and you guys think I'm serious. Prudes...
Old 01-27-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The fuck is going on here...
Old 01-27-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back away old man. You can't stay silent and ignore us, then come in all hand flaily and expect us to catch you up.
Old 01-27-12, 06:23 PM

From Joystiq, dedicated to Movie
Page:

XBL language filter prevents harmless words from being used in Quarrel

by Jessica Conditt on Jan 27th 2012 6:40PM

Microsoft's language filter on Xbox Live is strangling the linguistic skills of Quarrel players, banning such words as "help," "train," "balls" and "shaft" from being played. While we can understand the potential risque-ness of some of these words -- especially "help," which we're sure was added at the request of the XBL customer-service team -- without context we don't see the harm in them.

These words are fair game in singleplayer (with the Family Setting turned off), but Microsoft adds an extra filter to Live play, developer Denki's Gary Penn told Edge: "Quarrel uses the Collins official Scrabble dictionary comprising over 110,000 words up to eight letters in length, including a huge collection of words deemed 'offensive' by Collins, such as 'arse', 'shit', 'wank' and 'fuck.'"

Other banned words include "start," "skid," "poop," "hung," "dice" and "god." We're stumped on how to use "dice" in an offensive manner, but we've seen "***" flung around Xbox Live chat with alarming, unfiltered regularity, so we're not going to try to figure out Microsoft's regulation process here.

edit : Looks like the board here censored a word at the end of that story. It's three letters, starts with "F" and rhymes with "bag".
Old 01-29-12, 09:37 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am hearing more and more good things about Haunt...anyone buy it yet?
Old 01-29-12, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I am hearing more and more good things about Haunt...anyone buy it yet?
Everything I read said it was a good, short game for the very young but that's about it. I kind of liked the demo, but it's not like we don't have anything else to play on the Kinect. I'd certainly wait for a 400 point sale if I get it at all.

Speaking of Kinect XBLA games, I had to laugh when I saw a retail version of "Hole In The Wall - Deluxe Edition" for $39.99 at Target yesterday. I don't know anyone who thought it was even worth 400 points, so god knows who would spend $40 on a disc-based version. Also don't know what makes it "deluxe", but unless it's totally revamped to the point it actually works now, it's just a total fraud shovel ware release. I feel sorry for anyone unfortunate enough to pick that game up.
Old 01-31-12, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More indie games are dropping to 80 points including Rotor'scope, I know there was some praise for that here a while back.

Also, I thought this was sort of interesting about the Cthulu Saves the World sales after the price drop:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Rober...price_drop.php

Spoiler:
On January 4th, we decided to drop the price of Cthulhu Saves the World on the Xbox Live Indie Games (XBLIG) platform from 240 MS points ($3 USD) to 80 MS points ($1 USD). The game had been out for just over a year, Microsoft had just relaxed pricing restrictions on the platform, but mostly I was just curious as to what would happen.

For a baseline, before the price drop, we were selling about 20-21 copies of Cthulhu Saves the World a day on average on the XBLIG platform.

Here's the first week of sales since the price drop (I left out the 4th because the price drop was only in effect for a short period of time that day). I've also posted a couple notes on relevant events that happened on specific days.
Jan 5 - 220 sales (96 trials) - First full day at 80 MS points
Jan 6 - 317 sales (106 trials) - Brief mention on Major Nelson's podcast by e
Jan 7 - 188 sales (93 trials)
Jan 8 - 139 sales (85 trials)
Jan 9 - 97 sales (64 trials)
Jan 10- 127 sales (100 trials) - First day that the game is in the top 30 Top Daily Downloads for XBLIG since the price drop
Jan 11- 229 sales (152 trials)

And now for some thoughts.

Since the price drop, we've been getting more sales a day than trial downloads. The game has gotten good reviews from a number of sites and from user ratings and it's only a dollar so it's understandable than many people would decide to buy it without trying it out first. It's also possible that some people may have downloaded the demo in the past and with the price drop finally decided to buy it.

Although it wasn't always like this in the past, now a game's position on the Top Downloads chart is an average of a week and not just the most recent day. Hopefully, what this means is that it's much harder to get in the Top Downloads list but once you're in, it's more likely that you'll stay in. Cthulhu Saves the World was at about #100 before the price drop and started improving with each new day. With January 11th sales data in, we now have a full week of sales since the price drop and our rank is at #18. EDIT: I was just told that the Top Downloads chart is a day behind the most recent data we receive directly on our sales which means that our rank should go up tomorrow since that will be the first day that the chart reflects a full week at the lower price.

Top Downloads ranking is determined by adding sales & trial downloads together. Not sure why they do this - basing it just on sales seems like it would reward the higher quality games more. Note: this is just an educated guess based on data I've seen since becoming an XBLIG developer; Microsoft hasn't actually come out and said that the ranking is sales + trials.

If you assume an average of 20-21 games sold a day before the price drop, the price drop has increased our average daily revenue on XBLIG by about x3 so far.

The price drop doesn't seem to be affecting our sales of our games on Steam or the XBLIG version of Breath of Death VII either positively or negatively. Both are about what they were before the CSTW XBLIG price drop.

Not sure why our stats jumped so much on the 11th. It was a jump for all countries so I don't think it was a specific website. Maybe we passed some sort of critical milestone and now we're more visible or being offered as more recommendations on xbox.com or the Xbox dashboard.

So all in all, it's been a big success so far. Keep in mind that we were able to get a fair bit of media coverage on the price drop (the fact that we bundled in an announcement about upcoming ports didn't hurt things) - just dropping your game's price won't do much good if nobody knows about it. Hopefully, sales will continue to do well over the coming weeks and months and this won't just be a short-term boost
Old 01-31-12, 09:20 AM

Yeah, I bought Rotor'scope for 400 points a while ago. It's cool with high production values. It's sort of like Puzzle Quest in that it tells a story in comic panels and incorporates puzzles. These are rotational ones sort of like Lazy Raiders, but more like those mini-games in Skylanders. I guess I overpaid clearly, but for $1, you can't go wrong.
Old 01-31-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As Decker mentioned in the PSN thread, Simpsons Arcade hits there next Tuesday so the rumors/hopes are that it'll be on XBLA on Wednesday the 8th - just before House Party (or whatever) kicks off.
Old 01-31-12, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If that pans out, there may be as many as FOUR games releasing next week. Shank 2, Gotham City Impostors, and Defenders of Ardania are all listed as 2/8 on Xbox.com. Simpsons isn't up yet but the achievements leaked a couple weeks ago:

Spoiler:
There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.

Mr. Sparkle (25 points)
From stage 1, make it to the stage 3 bosses in Survival Mode with the Japanese ROM.

Easier Than Arm Wrestling (10 points)
Defeat the Wrestler without any player dying.

Falling For Smithers (10 points)
Playing from stage 1, fall through the deck after Smithers.

It Tastes Like Burning (10 points)
Hurt Smithers with one of his own bombs.

Dysfunctional Family (10 points)
Play in a 4-player match with three other people.

Bongo's Angst (10 points)
Playing from stage 1, get Bongo to appear in 4 different levels.

Battling Seizure Robots (10 points)
Playing from stage 1, defeat the battling robot.

Helper Monkey (10 points)
While performing a Team Attack, damage 25 enemies.

Best Score Ever (25 points)
Earn 250 points (US) or 25,000 points (Japan) in a game.

Release The Hounds (25 points)
Complete the game in 30 minutes or less.

Like Taking Candy From a Baby (25 points)
Complete the game four times, once with each character.

"Excellent" (30 points)
Complete the game on Expert difficulty in individual Quarters mode.
Old 02-01-12, 07:36 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did purchase Bastion yesterday for 600 points. i have heard so many good things about it, so hopefully I i will like it.
Old 02-01-12, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the reminder. Just added Bastion to my Queue.
Old 02-01-12, 08:51 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Yep, I bought Bastion on sale too. Heard a lot of good things as well.
Old 02-01-12, 10:24 AM

What if Double Fine released a new XBLA game and nobody even noticed? Well if it's a Kinect-enabled copy of those Playstation Eye games for the PS2, I guess it's possible.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ab64djRW_gA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Double Fine Happy Action Theater - trial game

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vPIZ5EuTRJo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You know, it's not for us, but for $10, if it entertains the little ones for a few hours, it's probably worth it.

If nothing else, it's got to be better than the other Kinect XBLA game released today, right?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HKO1QG6h11M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Description :
Spoiler:
"Rhythm Party" is a rhythm action game developed exclusively for Kinect on Xbox LIVE Arcade! Brought to you by the "Dance Masters" development team, it transforms your entire body into a controller. No need for choreography anymore. You're the choreographer and the dancer! When your body appears at the center of the screen, just dance! Game play is simple: Use your arms and legs to hit the Ripples in time with the rhythm while you create an original performance. Your performance skills are the key! With a soundtrack recorded largely in collaboration with top international artists, and different special effects for every song, this game is guaranteed to get your body moving and your blood pumping!

Rhythm Party - trial game
Old 02-01-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some reason, I had this notion that Happy Action Theater was going to be $5. I'm not really sure where I got that idea.
Old 02-01-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I finally played the Bastion demo last night and it might be me but it just didn't click. The voice over following your guy was pretty cool but it seemed like just a bunch of running around while the level and enemies formed around you.
Old 02-01-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
As Decker mentioned in the PSN thread, Simpsons Arcade hits there next Tuesday so the rumors/hopes are that it'll be on XBLA on Wednesday the 8th - just before House Party (or whatever) kicks off.
Originally Posted by MWB
If that pans out, there may be as many as FOUR games releasing next week. Shank 2, Gotham City Impostors, and Defenders of Ardania are all listed as 2/8 on Xbox.com. Simpsons isn't up yet but the achievements leaked a couple weeks ago:

Spoiler:
There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.

Mr. Sparkle (25 points)
From stage 1, make it to the stage 3 bosses in Survival Mode with the Japanese ROM.

Easier Than Arm Wrestling (10 points)
Defeat the Wrestler without any player dying.

Falling For Smithers (10 points)
Playing from stage 1, fall through the deck after Smithers.

It Tastes Like Burning (10 points)
Hurt Smithers with one of his own bombs.

Dysfunctional Family (10 points)
Play in a 4-player match with three other people.

Bongo's Angst (10 points)
Playing from stage 1, get Bongo to appear in 4 different levels.

Battling Seizure Robots (10 points)
Playing from stage 1, defeat the battling robot.

Helper Monkey (10 points)
While performing a Team Attack, damage 25 enemies.

Best Score Ever (25 points)
Earn 250 points (US) or 25,000 points (Japan) in a game.

Release The Hounds (25 points)
Complete the game in 30 minutes or less.

Like Taking Candy From a Baby (25 points)
Complete the game four times, once with each character.

"Excellent" (30 points)
Complete the game on Expert difficulty in individual Quarters mode.
Apparently it's coming on Friday: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...psons-psn.aspx
Old 02-01-12, 01:27 PM

Weird.

Still not up on Xbox.com.

Also, and unrelated--February Rewards are up--5% back on Marketplace purchases this month for Gold members, and this month's survey is worth 40 points! Looks like I'll be getting that Pac-Man shirt one month earlier!
Old 02-01-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

5% back is way better than anything else we've had. I may buy some Rock Band/Smith tracks this month.
Old 02-01-12, 02:19 PM

So...for every 1600 points we spend, we'll get back 80. I guess that is something (plus the survey). Looks like a good time to buy those RB tracks I keep putting off.
Old 02-01-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Looking forward to the Simpsons.
Old 02-01-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kedrix
So...for every 1600 points we spend, we'll get back 80. I guess that is something
Infinitely better than 0
Old 02-01-12, 02:44 PM

Infinitely better than 0
True...for every 1600 points, we get a free XBLIG game (provided it is not more than 80 points), we could look at it like that .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.