Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

James Bond 007: Goldeneye for the Wii (Nov 2, 2010)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

James Bond 007: Goldeneye for the Wii (Nov 2, 2010)

Old 11-10-10, 11:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: James Bond 007: Goldeneye for the Wii (Nov 2, 2010)

Hmm, maybe I'll wait for a price drop on Blood Stone then.
Old 12-09-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished it. I probably put in 1000 hours into the original. I still pick it up from time to time. I used to be pretty good at the multiplayer.

I am highly satisfied with this one. It plays just like the old one (that same precision-shooting, stealth, action) and the cut scenes made up for the lack of them in the first. It really is a true Goldeneye game.
The AI is pretty damn good. I'm not sure why people say it isn't. I'm not sure what they are expecting. The characters to come out and start counseling you on your love life? They run, duck, slide, chase, run away. It's pretty good.

It improves over the original on the following:
Controls: more modern, with the ability to pop up from crouching via using the aim button (this is perfect!) but drops the leaning from side to side found the original. Also this is dual stick, unlike the first, which used the C-buttons. It also has a lock on that happens when you press the aim button. It works and allows the game's action to happen faster.

Weapons: Broken down into pistols, shotguns and machine guns. In the course of the first player I could not get the hang of each gun's strengths and weaknesses. It begins fun, because there is nice variety, but as soon as you expect more, nothing happens. Nothing new, no rocket launches, grenades, mines, nothing. What happened? There are remote guns, but nothing you can deploy yourself.

Gadgets: A smartphone for taking pics and hacking networks. You press the button once.. when you do, you can't be attacked. So there's no risk to using a gadget. This is a huge fail. Bond is about cool gadgets.
The first one at least offered up some variety.

Story: Beats the first hands-down. The cinematic are tops. The acting is excellent. I just don't like Daniel Craig.

Vehicles: You get to drive the tank, but I didn't find it memorable at all. The graphics were pretty lame as well.

Sniping: As satisfactory as the first. But the collision system sucks. If there is a railing or object anywhere near your targeting icon, your bullet will be deflected. Precision is severely lacking.

Stealth: You can pretty much use it on every level. And there is an audio indication when you are noticed (with a chance to recover) and another when you are found out. It works well and I highly enjoyed it.

Graphics: It looks like a highly detailed remix of Goldeneye. The environments are detailed enough to keep up with this generation, but at the same time they are simple as to not distract and to keep the feel of the original.

Level Design I wish they paid more homage to the maps in the original. Only the first one (the Dam) does. And it works and feels great when it loads, right down to the camera panning down and twirling into Bond's point of view. Everything else is pretty new or a far stretch from the original. They are decent maps. Nothing too memorable.

Gameplay: It plays like a fast-paced Goldeneye. They pulled it off.

Bondness: To me, Craig does not feel very "Bond." And despite the russian-accented enemies and bond music, this felt more like a COD game than a Bond game.

The shootout in the kitchen was a blast, with all the bottles exploding. Probably the most memorable part of the game.
I just wish it were longer.

I have yet to try multiplayer
Old 12-09-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,035 Likes on 4,120 Posts

I take it you played with a Classic Controller or whatever they call that wired twin stick one, right? The game was damn near unplayable with the wiimote + nunchuck.
Old 12-09-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, the classic one, not the pro. I found it to work quite well. I was up to speed on controls within minutes.
Old 01-07-11, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bundle with the gold classic controller (and Walmart-Exclusive t-shirt) is $39.96 on Walmart.com right now. You can ship-to-store for free, or ship to your home for $.97.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Golden-Eye...er=lw9MynSeamY
Old 01-09-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Lightning Deal on Amazon for $35.99
Old 01-09-11, 01:58 PM
Zbu

Originally Posted by sherm42
Lightning Deal on Amazon for $35.99
But no controller, just the game.

Thanks to whomever posted that Walmart link. You just saved me $20 for a standard Controller Pro!
Old 01-29-11, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
So, final verdict? Worth owning or not? I haven't purchased a Bond game since the From Russia With Love one that had Connery doing the voice. I still play Everything and Nothing every so often. I'd love to have another good Bond game.
Just wanted to say that I love this game. Of course, I'm not a big time gamer, in fact this is the first game I've ever played online in my life, but the online stuff is awesome and addicting. I stink at it, I'm usually the worst one if I'm in a team game, and always the worst in the solo games, but I can't stop playing it and its a lot of fun. Some of you are probably the ones that are eliminating me all the time. I like the online game 'goldeneye' the best followed by team conflict.
Old 01-30-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

How does the DS version compare to this one? I really want to play this (N64 Goldeneye was probably my favorite game in the late '90s) but have no desire or intention of buying a Wii for one game, even though that's exactly what I did with the Gamecube and original X-Box (although I got them used from EB Games for under $100 each and did buy additional games for them).
Old 01-31-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have played this game about twice since i bought it. I used the Wii stick and it was almost unplayable. Really annoying. I will try getting back into it using the old style controller. Just had better games to be taking my time.
Old 02-05-11, 05:28 PM

Reading the comments about the how unplayable the game is with the wii-mote is really surprising to me. I started playing this game with the classic controller pro, but I felt that using an analog stick to control the aim is incredibly slow. I switched to the wii-mote and my play improved significantly.

Now, this is definitely a personal bias, as I haven't played a fps on a console since probably the original Goldeneye. I'm much more familiar with shooters on computers using a mouse to aim, so the wii-mote just felt very natural for me.