Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Announces 3DS - 3D w/o Glasses!

Old 03-25-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Nintendo Announces 3DS (tentative name), 3D DS w/o Glasses!

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
If you're actually in CA and can get in, there shouldn't be a reason not to go, eh?

Spoiler:
Get me Nintendo swag.
I skipped out last year too. Part of it is I just dislike convention atmospheres because of the crowd and people, having been to numerous nerdy ones over the years. Other part is being lazy since you need to fax over two forms of industry credentials like a W2 or Paystub.

I remember being at E3 for the first Wii demos and the line was hours to demo
Old 03-25-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I skipped out last year too. Part of it is I just dislike convention atmospheres because of the crowd and people, having been to numerous nerdy ones over the years. Other part is being lazy since you need to fax over two forms of industry credentials like a W2 or Paystub.

I remember being at E3 for the first Wii demos and the line was hours to demo
Ah, yeah those are both really good reasons. Personally, I'd probably THINK that I'd be able to tolerate it to see all the cool shit coming out early, but I KNOW I'd be agitated by it all almost immediately. Although I'd probably occupy time in a line by playing a game of "count the neckbeards."
Old 03-25-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another video, similar to the first one:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dp5YigZEv14&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dp5YigZEv14&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 03-26-10, 12:03 AM

Again, that's not the stereoscopic 3D Nintendo plans to make happen.

I get the feeling that type of video will continue to be mistakenly shown until the day this thing launches.
Old 03-26-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

or at least until e3.
Old 07-14-10, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Top Japanese game designers speak on the 3DS.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...er_commentary/

Hideo Kojima

The Metal Gear mastermind is worked on the E3 demo of Metal Gear Solid 3D. He said, "I wear glasses, so I'm happy that 3D glasses are not needed. I directed the E3 demo. It was based off Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater, but the backgrounds and character modeling were all redone in high polygon. It's not finalized, but we're thinking about CO-OPs and other things -- elements fitting of a 3D and portable game machine."

Suda 51

GrassHopper Manufacturer's CEO and the man behind Killer 7 and No More Heroes has not yet announced any 3DS games. He told Famitsu, "I was able to feel the speed of progression of video game history, and also the feeling of 'We've come this far.'" Seeing the 3DS made him feel like there is a real touchable world inside the screen. "To express the game I want to make in a word, it's 'The Next Game.' Nintendo 3DS is the arrival of 'The Next Hardware.' So, 'The Next Game.'"

Hideki Kamiya

The Platinum Games designer and director who's responsible for such masterworks as Bayonetta and Okami has not announced any 3DS games. He commented on the differences between 3D gaming on the small screen through 3DS and 3D gaming on the large screen. The latter has great impact, making you better feel like you're in the game. 3D on a small screen like the 3DS, however, gives you the feeling of something truly existing in the palm of your hands. Said Kamiya, "Games with dynamic scale are okay too, but I personally would like to take a different approach from the large screen and make a 3D game where you can enjoy the feeling of existence given by portable 3D."

Toshihiro Nagoshi

Nagoshi is known mostly for the Yakuza series, but he's working on Super Monkey Ball for 3DS. He believes that 3DS is the "conclusion" one would expect from Nintendo, whom he feels has, since Wii, shown a stance of pursuing game hardware as toys. "If future portable game machines demand that both social aspects and immersion be satisfied for when you play multiplayer and single player for instance, 3DS firmly answers these with Wi-Fi and 3D. I'd like to make a variety of proposals."

Shu Takumi

One of the chief forces behind Dino Crisis, Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick, Takumi has no announced 3DS projects at present. He says that he's been a big fan of 3D since the Virtual Boy area, and his feeling upon seeing the 3DS was "We've at last reached this point!" "As a creator, I feel that a new challenge has started." By "new challenge," he feels that a number of things need to be considered for the first time -- interface issues with 3D, new uses of the top and bottom screen, how to handle the cursor/pointer during adventure games, and so forth. "I'd like to show a mystery in a 3D space."

Atsushi Inaba

The CEO of Platinum Games has no current 3DS product announced. But boy does he seem excited! Said Inaba, "I experienced a strong jolt of the feeling 'I want to make something.' When I first saw Wii and DS at Nintendo's home office, I was also excited. It's the same feeling here, but the level is completely different this time. Since the start of the game industry, there's never been a system that better fit the words 'dream' and 'next generation.'"

Keiji Inafune

The Mega Man guy, who also appears to be taking an unhealthy interest in zombies of late, has no current DS projects announced. He had a more business minded perspective in his comments: "Things needed to sell games are concept, technology and marketing. Nintendo 3DS is a showcase of things for selling hardware. While keeping the appeal of portable game machines as is, it offers high processing ability, improved controls, a more appealing design, goggle-free 3D technology, and a robust 3rd party title lineup."

Takenobu Terada

Terada is the producer of the Super Robot Wars series. Namco Bandai announced at E3 that the 3DS would be getting a game in the series. In his response to Famitsu, he said that as someone who paid full price at launch for past 3D systems and Virtual Boy, he feels that with 3DS the true contender has arrived. His staff is currently looking at a number of approaches for the 3DS Super Robot Wars games -- possibly making something like Super Robot Wars Neo with 3D visuals, or possibly using conventional 2D battles and adding 3D effects and cut-ins, or something completely different.

Shinji Mikami

The man behind Resident Evil and the upcoming Vanquish says that he was surprised to find that the system's 3D is more solid than he'd been expecting. Rather than coming out of the screen, the images have great depth and truly feel 3D. He likes that you don't need glasses to view the 3D. Closing off, he said, "I felt that I'd definitely like to work on 3DS. Ah, it's time for dinner with Itagaki."

Tomonobu Itagaki

What did the creator of Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive and, most recently, Devil's Third, have to say about 3DS? Not much! He spoke about how goggle-free 3D isn't really suitable for your home television, as the sweet spot for being able to see the 3D effect is very narrow. However, he believes it will work on a portable, as you don't have the sweet spot problem. He finished with, "Today, I have a meeting at a yakiniku place, but I think things will heat up with talk about 3DS."

So Itagaki and Mikami are meeting for dinner, eh? What could they be talking about?

Yoshinori Ono

The Super Street Fighter IV producer is working on Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition. He told Famitsu that outside of just the 3D visuals, he'd like to expand the fun of the game through the 3DS's other new features. "We'd like to put in some ideas that make effective use of the portability."

Hiroyuki Kobayashi

The producer of such games as Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 5 and Sengoku Basara doesn't have any announced 3DS projects. Upon seeing Nintendo's titles running on actual 3DS hardware, he was "extremely surprised" to find that the images truly do come out from the screen. "Our own Resident Evil was shown on the show floor and was well received, but when I saw Metal Gear, I felt the new potential of the 3DS. I'd like to make something."
Old 07-14-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 486 Likes on 285 Posts

Interesting, but I want to see games, not a bunch of people with no planned titles saying they are hoping to make "something."
Old 09-18-10, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to this, we're just over two months from release. If any of our GameStop brothers want to confirm, that'd be great.
Old 09-18-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmm, they (Nintendo themselves) specifically told us 2 weeks ago in Texas that there is no 3DS this year and sell the crap out of the existing DS/DSi....
Old 09-18-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by discostu1337
Hmm, they (Nintendo themselves) specifically told us 2 weeks ago in Texas that there is no 3DS this year and sell the crap out of the existing DS/DSi....
Cool.. Well, I guess that rumor's debunked. :P
Old 09-18-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Checked at work, no mention anywhere. Also, items are never in our system before they release and then NOT available for pre-order. It would just not exist, then pop up on the 29th to reserve.

I'm not saying it's not coming in November, but Gamestop has no info on it...and Japan would get it 1st anyways.
Old 09-18-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not saying it's not coming in November, but Gamestop has no info on it...and Japan would get it 1st anyways.
Not always true.

Nintendo DS Release Dates:

Retail availability
NA November 21, 2004
JP December 2, 2004
TW December 13, 2004

Nintendo Wii Release Dates:

Release date
NA November 19, 2006
JP December 2, 2006
AUS December 7, 2006
EU December 8, 2006
Old 09-18-10, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

....because they're lying and hoping to keep pushing the old before the new hotness secretly launches
Old 09-19-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

3D in the theater is crap....and if my experience at Best Buy is any indication...3D television is crap also.

Now...how many versions of the Nintendo DS does the gaming world truly need? Someone please tell me Nintendo is not becoming as lame as Sega back in the early nineties with milking the consumer. Anyone remember the Sega Genesis which was a fine machine.....however then we all suffered thru the Sega CD....then the Sega 32x. Crap is crap. This 3D stuff is crap....really adds nothing to the viewing experience except for a couple of ooohs and aahhhhs throughout one's viewing experience along with adding extra $ to the price of admission....price of the television....or price of this so called Nintendo 3DS.

And if you did not know it yet....Nintendo's next DS will be released following the 3DS release.....Nintendo DS SFX...the all new smell and feel experience. Then the following year they will release the same machine but with a bigger screen and a camera.
Old 09-19-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

And who needs color? My original Gameboy was fine. I had tons of fun with it.

No sense keeping an open mind.
Old 09-19-10, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by parrotheads4
And who needs color? My original Gameboy was fine. I had tons of fun with it.

No sense keeping an open mind.
We as gamers are so spoiled these days...I almost forgot about the original colorless Gameboy. Then came Gameboy Color......then Gameboy Advance...then....
Old 09-19-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by djones6746
We as gamers are so spoiled these days...I almost forgot about the original colorless Gameboy. Then came Gameboy Color......then Gameboy Advance...then....
Don't forget Gameboy Pocket in-between Gameboy and Gameboy Color!
Old 09-19-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Don't forget Gameboy Pocket in-between Gameboy and Gameboy Color!
Ugh..I am getting too old and forgetful.
Old 09-19-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't believe Nintendo is forcing us to buy this!

I hate this 3D fad too. But I am at least willing to give this a chance since it's glassesless and something new. I won't be losing any clarity over the 2D presentation like in the theater because, well, there won't be a 2D presentation to compare these games to.

With how much I play my DS anymore (and the stack of games that sit idle), I don't know why I'm even considering it. But, we'll see.
Old 09-19-10, 03:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Everything I've heard from E3 is that the 3DS is a fantastic device. I'm very much looking forward to it. I still play the hell out of my DS Lite.
Old 09-20-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Everything I've heard from E3 is that the 3DS is a fantastic device. I'm very much looking forward to it. I still play the hell out of my DS Lite.
I have heard this as well. But the only thing that I remember recently (past decade) that has lived up to the hype for me is HDTV.
Old 09-20-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Will 2D games look normal on it?
Old 09-20-10, 09:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I have heard this as well. But the only thing that I remember recently (past decade) that has lived up to the hype for me is HDTV.
Are you saying you didn't get a second job to pay for the PS3??

Originally Posted by sauce07
Will 2D games look normal on it?
Yes. There's a slider on the side that lets you control how far apart the 3D eyes are. You can slide it down to the point where it is 2D for 2D games.
Old 11-01-10, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0W68CPInmYc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0W68CPInmYc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 01-19-11, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

The 3DS event was today.

Price: $249.99
Launch date (US): March 27

Launch titles are unknown, but the Japanese launch titles (for February 26th):
Nintendogs + Cats
Super Street Fighter IV 3D
Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle
Winning Eleven 3D
Ridge Racer 3D
Samurai Warriors Chronicles
Bust-a-Move 3D
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D

Other upcoming titles:
Spring notables: Zelda OoT remake, Pilotwings, Kid Icarus, Resident Evil, Super Monkey Ball
http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143155p1.html

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.