Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-15-17, 09:11 AM   #626
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Alan Wake

You can still buy Alan Wake right now on Steam, I think it will be delisted around 1pm EST today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Never played American Nightmare - is it worth buying (if you can even buy it anymore)?
Alan Wake's American Nightmare is still on sale for $0.99. I fell like for $0.99, you can't really go wrong.

After today, Alan Wake's American Nightmare will still be available for sale, although not for 90% off.
Old 05-15-17, 09:25 AM   #627
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Even though I have the game on Xbox One from getting Quantum Break, went ahead and bought a PC copy from Humble Bundle. For just a few bucks, figured it would be nice to have handy on Steam too.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-15-17, 09:25 AM   #628
Rival11
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
You can still buy Alan Wake right now on Steam, I think it will be delisted around 1pm EST today.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare is still on sale for $0.99. I fell like for $0.99, you can't really go wrong.

After today, Alan Wake's American Nightmare will still be available for sale, although not for 90% off.
Very cool - thanks
Old 05-15-17, 04:03 PM   #629
wtsang

I'm so tired of products disappearing over licensing.

Anyone know why licenses are written in a way that requires such a drastic end? Physical products produced under license don't cease to exist - ever - unless someone destroys them. It doesn't seem to bother anyone or hurt the companies which permitted their IP to be used. I can't see why digital licenses can't be written to similarly allow products to exist into perpetuity once created.

There has to be a better way. Shortsightedness in contract language, or some legitimate obstacle I wouldn't be aware of?
Old 05-15-17, 04:30 PM   #630
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtsang View Post
I'm so tired of products disappearing over licensing.

Anyone know why licenses are written in a way that requires such a drastic end? Physical products produced under license don't cease to exist - ever - unless someone destroys them. It doesn't seem to bother anyone or hurt the companies which permitted their IP to be used. I can't see why digital licenses can't be written to similarly allow products to exist into perpetuity once created.
Well, I'm not sure you're understanding the issue here. The digital copies that were sold will exist in perpetuity on Steam/GoG/Humble/PSN/XBL for the people that purchased the game. So the sold digital copies aren't disappearing. They're just not able to sell more.

And licenses have expired for physical copy video games too. Nintendo licensed to use the name/likeness for Punch Out when they first released it in the US, under the title "Mike Tyson's Punch Out." When the license later lapsed, they re-released the game without Mike Tyson was just "Punch Out."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch-Out!!_(NES)

TV/Movie licenses often are time-limited, so games like Capcom's Ducktales had to go out of print, and couldn't be sold digitally, since Capcom didn't have the license to use the characters anymore, up until they relicensed them for the remaster. Similar things have happened for games featuring TMNT, X-Men, etc.

Ideally, game companies would get licenses for whatever works they need to license in perpetuity, but in practice that may be hard to get.
Old 05-15-17, 04:53 PM   #631
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Happens quarterly in the Rock Band DLC world. Sometimes the de-listed tracks come back.
Old 05-15-17, 07:31 PM   #632
Music
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 05-16-17, 11:00 AM   #633
Rival11
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bought American Nightmare and I'm glad I did.