Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official PS3 thread - Aaaaannnnnnddddd we're back!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PS3 thread - Aaaaannnnnnddddd we're back!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official PS3 thread - Aaaaannnnnnddddd we're back!

Originally Posted by shumway
Anything can wear out over time. Also, if there is bend/stress in a specific juncture of the cable, that can cause problems over time as well.
I doubt it... Perhaps a bad cable to begin with. Your user name is familiar, do you post a lot at Engadget? Or was that a different person?
Old 10-17-11, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Different person, though you would have seen my name here as we've both been around forever. It could be a bad cable, but, I've had similar things happen to me before so I don't doubt the possibility of it occurring.
Old 10-17-11, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A cable doesn't have to start bad to get worse.

Things don't need moving parts to wear down.
Old 10-17-11, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The HDMI cable I had been using had been solid for years. And then I started getting sparklies on my TV only when using my PS3 - usually during handshake times and it always required me to reseat the cable. Was worried it was the PS3 or TV, but once I replaced the HDMI cable, sparklies no more!
Old 10-18-11, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard
The HDMI cable I had been using had been solid for years. And then I started getting sparklies on my TV only when using my PS3 - usually during handshake times and it always required me to reseat the cable. Was worried it was the PS3 or TV, but once I replaced the HDMI cable, sparklies no more!
Interesting, I might have to do the same... I was doing ICO speed run and the screen blanked out for seconds seconds (in a speed run, that's THREE long seconds) and I had to restart my checkpoint. The "sparklies" don't happen very often and they go away after few seconds.

Oh, for those of you mislead by the PS2 "jump glitch" ICO trick, the PS3 HD Collection fixed that. When I first saw the "finish the game in two hours" trophy and I thought it's piece of cake since you can skip a lot of parts with "high jumps."

The two hours speed run trophy really put everything to test, you got to be really good, there's not much room for mistakes.

And oh, the ICO/SotC Collection is the European version, meaning that there's a "piston jump" before the waterwheel (at Waterfall checkpoint). When I first play that part, I thought the game was broken Little did I know that the original PS2 US version of ICO doesn't have the "piston jump" at all (just a straight pipe to the ledges).

Well, got my 45th platinum trophy, conquered ICO
Old 10-18-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Does anyone use the online save storage? I thought it was going to be great for my scenario but it looks to be restricted. If I'm trying to play the same game on two systems in my house; can I really not download the save to one or the other within 24 hours?

I was playing Dark Souls in the bedroom last night and I can't download that save to my system in the living room because it hasn't been a full 24 hours. I have tomorrow off from work and want to be able to play with surround sound. That's keeping me from playing at all tonight; if I load it up in the bedroom where the save originated, I won't be able to get the save over to the living room until late tomorrow. Am I doing something wrong or is that just how it is?
Old 10-18-11, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan
Does anyone use the online save storage? I thought it was going to be great for my scenario but it looks to be restricted. If I'm trying to play the same game on two systems in my house; can I really not download the save to one or the other within 24 hours?

I was playing Dark Souls in the bedroom last night and I can't download that save to my system in the living room because it hasn't been a full 24 hours. I have tomorrow off from work and want to be able to play with surround sound. That's keeping me from playing at all tonight; if I load it up in the bedroom where the save originated, I won't be able to get the save over to the living room until late tomorrow. Am I doing something wrong or is that just how it is?
Certain restricted games have a 24 hour time lock on them. I think that's how they were able to get the okay from Rockband and other games with totally locked saves to be on board (my assumption).
Old 10-18-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Noonan

Don't you have any spare thumb drives you can use to move the save file?
Old 10-18-11, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Don't you have any spare thumb drives you can use to move the save file?
It is a locked save. Damn these locked saves to hell!
Old 10-18-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
It is a locked save. Damn these locked saves to hell!
That is annoying. Though, not quite as annoying as someone complaining about not being able to play a game on their second PS3 on their giant TV.

Seriously though, if it is a huge deal, just take your ps3 to the other room. You can just unhook everything just on the ps3 in room a and room b, move the ps3 from room a to room b and hook it up there.
Old 10-18-11, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To be fair if it weren't for the stupid companies locking us out of our game saves then he would have had no reason to come here and complain. These game save lockdowns are ridiculous.
Old 10-18-11, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. There are things I like very much about the way Sony handles DRM, but locked saves are not one of them.
Old 10-19-11, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I never said anything about the TV being giant (it's not), just that I have surround sound in the living room. It helps a lot in Dark Souls when you can tell where stuff is coming from.

And yeah, these locked saves are real annoying.
Old 10-19-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

So I broke down and purchased a slim ps3. My fat 80 gb mgs4 system has been making a lot of noise and heating fast. The new slim came with a free trial for ps +. I was thinking for locked saves to put on the cloud service, switch systems and transfer the cloud save on the slim. Will that work?
Old 10-19-11, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It will but you'll have to wait a full 24 hours between uploading to the cloud and downloading to the new system.
Old 10-20-11, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It's easier to just do a system transfer between the old and new system. You will lose everything off the old system though, but it's definitely a lot easier than trying to move stuff over manually.
Old 10-20-11, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by collven
It's easier to just do a system transfer between the old and new system. You will lose everything off the old system though, but it's definitely a lot easier than trying to move stuff over manually.
I did a system tranfer from my old 60 GB fat to my new slim and lost absolutely nothing on the fat.
Old 10-20-11, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I did a system tranfer from my old 60 GB fat to my new slim and lost absolutely nothing on the fat.
Pretty much the same for me. Did the transfer, didn't lose everything, but I did lose some random stuff.
Old 10-20-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can you system transfer locked saves?
Old 10-20-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Can you system transfer locked saves?
Yes, using the system transfer untility with 2 networked PS3's, you can transfer locked saves.
Old 10-27-11, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

A heads-up for those who don't frequent the PSN store regularly : this week they're giving away a free Haunted Mansion Dynamic theme to everyone. It's really cool with "spooky" sound effects. I recommend everyone grab it while it's available.

Oh, and Amazon killed their entire PSN online store, which totally sucks. Now I may have to re-enter my credit card information to the Sony site if I ever want to buy anything from the PSN store -- either that or buy a PSN card at a local Best Buy or something.
Old 10-27-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Walmart and Gamestop have them as well if either are more conveniently located. I will certainly miss being able to buy the digital codes from Amazon. Not entering my CC info.
Old 10-27-11, 04:01 PM

Gamestop and Best Buy both also sell digital codes.
Old 10-27-11, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sweet, I did not know that. Even with a $.01 savings, lol.
Old 10-28-11, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcheckel
Gamestop and Best Buy both also sell digital codes.
From what I read on CAG Game Stop charges sales tax for the card (which they shouldn't) and Best Buy has digital codes listed but the sales won't actually go through. Do you have any experience with either one?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.