Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
http://www.imdb.com/search/title - IMDB advanced title search
horror films by year starting 1895 - wiki breakdown by decade then year

Building of the 31 Film Subset: The Final Phase has begun -&- Crossover Group Voting

2 volunteers are still needed for the subset list.

Print Wikipost

The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines

You are still missing the second part of the controller in that bundle, so it's not that much better. If Kinect actually works like they say, it would end up being cheaper in the long run, since you wouldn't need to spend the money on extra sets of controllers, but I doubt it will work.
Old 07-20-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Here's the big problem with MS's marketing approach : Who are they selling the Kinect to? Those games are certainly not going to appeal to the avid gamer, let alone the hardcore. Okay, so they want this to be sold to those with families who want to have a game to play with the kids. Two problems : First, those people already own a Wii and most will feel little need to buy a second console. Second the Kinect can't be played by more than two people, making it perhaps less family-friendly than many would like. Any way I look at this launch, I don't see this thing as a winner -- at least until they drop the price to $99 and make it compatible with games more appealing to the 360's core audience.
Old 07-20-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Here's the big problem with MS's marketing approach : Who are they selling the Kinect to? Those games are certainly not going to appeal to the avid gamer, let alone the hardcore. Okay, so they want this to be sold to those with families who want to have a game to play with the kids. Two problems : First, those people already own a Wii and most will feel little need to buy a second console. Second the Kinect can't be played by more than two people, making it perhaps less family-friendly than many would like. Any way I look at this launch, I don't see this thing as a winner -- at least until they drop the price to $99 and make it compatible with games more appealing to the 360's core audience.
I think that is exactly who MS is marketing to this holiday season. From my experience, over time, the Wii gets less and less use. I know several families that have only have Wiis, and they rarely use them. I own all 3 systems and try to keep the kids stocked with games (30+), but they seldom play. In fact, my 9 year old would rather play the "tower defense" type games I have on the PS3.

Those families that have had the Wii for 2+ years could be looking for something different....it looks fun for the kids, plus they can finally play some real () adult games.

Of course, this is in regards to the new "arcade" bundle, I don't have a clue who they are marketing the $150 Kinect to.
Old 07-20-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a good point. Plus, those kids are now 2-3 years older.
Old 07-20-10, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by hail2dking
I think that is exactly who MS is marketing to this holiday season. From my experience, over time, the Wii gets less and less use. I know several families that have only have Wiis, and they rarely use them. I own all 3 systems and try to keep the kids stocked with games (30+), but they seldom play. In fact, my 9 year old would rather play the "tower defense" type games I have on the PS3.

Those families that have had the Wii for 2+ years could be looking for something different....it looks fun for the kids, plus they can finally play some real () adult games.

Of course, this is in regards to the new "arcade" bundle, I don't have a clue who they are marketing the $150 Kinect to.
The problem is, won't most families think "well, I spent all this money on the Wii and the kids are already bored of it, why would I spend twice as much on a whole different system and different games, etc?" Talking about the purely casual gamer, of course.
Old 07-20-10, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You're forgetting the Santa factor. It's very easy to just get something like that and shut the kids up.
Old 07-20-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by hail2dking

While that sounds like solid logic in theory, the question is : Would those parents want to buy another motion-sensing system? I'd think not -- if anything they'd want something different that would play different sort of games, not one that would play exactly the the same sort of games (like a mario kart-style racer where you steer with your arms in the air or yet another motion bowling game) but without a controller. Really when you think about it critically, there isn't a big target audience for this product.
We'll see, I guess.
Old 07-20-10, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
While that sounds like solid logic in theory, the question is : Would those parents want to buy another motion-sensing system? I'd think not -- if anything they'd want something different that would play different sort of games, not one that would play exactly the the same sort of games (like a mario kart-style racer where you steer with your arms in the air or yet another motion bowling game) but without a controller. Really when you think about it critically, there isn't a big target audience for this product.
We'll see, I guess.
This way they get the "best" of both worlds...the new fangled gimmick controller and a step up to HD gaming (regular 360 games)...if they don't like the motion controller, they can go online and get tea-bagged.. win-win
Old 07-23-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Text "colony" (sans quotes) to 72579 for a chance to win 1600 MSP. Apparently it's an enter once kind of contest.
Old 07-23-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, we'll see what happens.
Old 07-23-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks, wizard!
Old 07-23-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do these things get you random text messages later down the road if you do one of these?
Old 07-23-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not that I've seen so far.
Old 07-23-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Thanks for the heads up.

To Pixy - Not from the 2 or so I have entered thus far.
Old 07-23-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

BTW, there's another text contest on the dashboard. Check out the Ford Fiesta page(there's actually some funny promo vids), build a custom Fiesta and it will generate a free theme that enters you into the contest(when you download), but in doing so it also gives you a number to text "Fiesta" to for a chance at 400.

Looks like the number is the same as the one above. Text "Fiesta" to 72579, sans quotes of course.
I believe you can enter twice.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 07-23-10 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-23-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks, Corvin. That one responds with "You have entered your 1st/2nd entry" so make sure you enter it twice.
Old 07-23-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, thanks!
Old 07-23-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh, here's one of the vids. (I thought it was pretty funny)
Spoiler:
Old 07-25-10, 03:52 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

another question for the dvdtalk crew...

I have a problem with updates on my xbox. When I search for this it seems to all point to a cache problem, but I have cleared it and it still does it. Here is exactly what happens...

When I start up a game, it needs an update. The problem is it needs to update every time I switch to another game and go back to that game. So if I play Red Dead, update needed. I turn off my xbox, turn it on no update, but if I put in another game that needs an update and go back to Red Dead it needs another update...

So here is the real kicker...

I recently switched to a new xbox slim. I transferred all my saves, and I needed to do updates again. I figured that was not unusual as the transfer must not have moved the updates. Nope...still same problem. Something tells me there is something in my saves that is fucking it up, but I have no clue what.
Old 07-25-10, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think I have something similar going on. Not the exact same issue, but I have updates to games that I don't think have had updates in ages.
Old 07-26-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally got text messaging on my phone....I guess I will use a few to see if I get lucky.
Old 07-28-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's some free Scott Pilgrim stuff (theme, gamerpics, sweepstakes entry): http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/ga...-d802585708cf/
Old 07-28-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

So, I turned on my Xbox last night to download a few indie games and both my left and right analog sticks seem to not be working. Well, they both move fine, but they both seem to be registering as always being pointing down. I tried turning off and on the system and reconnecting it in addition to replacing the batteries. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Old 07-28-10, 12:42 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hell I have to update even netflix every time I turn on my xbox...ugh
Old 07-30-10, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

wtf is up with live? I went to download borderlands dlc and it keeps sending a message saying it cant retrieve information. I tried the indie section and same message.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.