Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Batman: Arkham City Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts
Re: Batman: Arkham City Thread

Looks really good. Can't wait for more of this game!!
Old 05-17-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Story-based Robin gameplay? Hell yes!
Old 05-17-12, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Finally got around to watching those Easter eggs. Pretty cool of Rocksteady to pay attention to little details like that.
Old 05-18-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's nice to see a full on addon and not just more stupid challenge maps. I will definitely purchase this.
Old 05-19-12, 12:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would have preferred Nightwing, but I'll take Robin.
Old 05-23-12, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. I'm probably going to end up playing this game again when the GOTY edition comes out. Hope it's priced at $40.
Old 05-30-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mixed reviews on the Harley Quinn DLC. Although IGN gave it a 9, others gave 6's

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/...revenge-review
Old 05-30-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I finished it up in a couple hours. Not a bad add on but it leaves me wanting more now. I think the only thing I wish is that we could use Robin to explore around Arkham City and stuff too but unfortunately he's restricted to the areas where the story takes place. I'd say it's worth it if you're a fan of the game.
Old 05-30-12, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was at Walmart yesterday and noticed that the GOTY comes with a free Gotham City Impostors download. I'm pretty sure it said it was a Walmart exclusive.
Old 06-01-12, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Kinda cool. Hopefully the next game we'll be allowed to explore Gotham City as a whole and not just be contained to a certain area. Not that Arkham City isn't pretty huge as is, but it'd be awesome to explore the streets of Gotham, make your way to Wayne Manor, Wayne Tower, etc.
Yeah, that would be cool. I would be perfectly cool if the dev team took a Burnout Paradise mood to the next game, and gave us a fully realized Gotham (ala GTA V's liberty city), and then just gave us tons of DLC for that world. One big game, and then a gaggle of 2 to 4 hour micro-missions to ride out the rest of this console cycle.
Old 06-01-12, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVDChris
Mixed reviews on the Harley Quinn DLC. Although IGN gave it a 9, others gave 6's

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/...revenge-review
It was rather "blah". I expected more.

By the way, is the
Spoiler:
Sopranos-style ending
normal or did I do something wrong?
Old 06-01-12, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dino88
I was at Walmart yesterday and noticed that the GOTY comes with a free Gotham City Impostors download. I'm pretty sure it said it was a Walmart exclusive.

I already have arkham city but I wouldn't mind having the new dlc or the dlc for gotham city imposters so I am thinking about getting this and selling my arkham city. Minus the 25 for both of those plus the 10 i can probably get for arkham city that is like 15 bucks for the goty with other dlc
Old 06-04-12, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It was rather "blah". I expected more.

By the way, is the
Spoiler:
Sopranos-style ending
normal or did I do something wrong?
Huh?

Please explain your ending. Mine was rather conventional and disappointing.
Old 07-03-12, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ytrez
Huh?

Please explain your ending. Mine was rather conventional and disappointing.
In mine
Spoiler:
Harley reveals that the trigger mechanism does not shut off the bomb and the screen just cuts to black followed by end credits.

How did yours end?

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-03-12 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-03-12, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought that Joker picture meant it had something to do with the game... but I guess not.
Old 07-03-12, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was also wondering how that relates to videogames, but since I haven't yet finished Arkham City I thought maybe I was missing the reference.
Old 07-03-12, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry. That was meant for elsewhere. I'll edit that post.
Old 08-06-12, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Well, after Lego Batman 2 and TDKR coming out, it just served as a reminder to me that I never finished Arkham City and I probably should. So last week I dusted off the box and put it in and played it over the past few days to the end of the story and a little more. -- It's a better game than I initially gave it credit for. I think I was overwhelmed with the size of the environment and felt the enemies were too repetitive. Maybe somehow it felt like a bit of a disappointment after Arkham Asylum. Honestly I can't remember why I stopped playing it some eight or nine months ago( on my way back to Freeze's lab).

Whatever, I really enjoyed the rest of it and found that whatever concerns I had about the controls and gadgets being overwhelming was unfounded. And the new mechanic of saving Riddler's men until the end to interrogate them for Riddler trophy information was absolutely brilliant.

I was having the hardest time with the snipers outside the theater -- I couldn't take one out without the rest noticing. It took me so many tries before I realized what I was doing wrong : I was using the Knockout Smash with every Silent Takedown as I was prompted to on-screen, and had been doing so the whole game! When I finally figured out that if I didn't press X after doing the Takedown with Y, I could stay silent, it was a breeze!

Anyway, I judged this game too harshly before and I really enjoyed finishing it up. It was extremely well done and well-acted. Hope there's a third one with the same cast in the works.
Old 08-06-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Glad you like it now. That reminds me, I need to do the Riddler challenges. Grrr.
Old 08-08-12, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Well, after Lego Batman 2 and TDKR coming out, it just served as a reminder to me that I never finished Arkham City and I probably should. So last week I dusted off the box and put it in and played it over the past few days to the end of the story and a little more. -- It's a better game than I initially gave it credit for. I think I was overwhelmed with the size of the environment and felt the enemies were too repetitive. Maybe somehow it felt like a bit of a disappointment after Arkham Asylum. Honestly I can't remember why I stopped playing it some eight or nine months ago( on my way back to Freeze's lab).

Whatever, I really enjoyed the rest of it and found that whatever concerns I had about the controls and gadgets being overwhelming was unfounded. And the new mechanic of saving Riddler's men until the end to interrogate them for Riddler trophy information was absolutely brilliant.

I was having the hardest time with the snipers outside the theater -- I couldn't take one out without the rest noticing. It took me so many tries before I realized what I was doing wrong : I was using the Knockout Smash with every Silent Takedown as I was prompted to on-screen, and had been doing so the whole game! When I finally figured out that if I didn't press X after doing the Takedown with Y, I could stay silent, it was a breeze!

Anyway, I judged this game too harshly before and I really enjoyed finishing it up. It was extremely well done and well-acted. Hope there's a third one with the same cast in the works.

Saving Riddler's men for the end? Hmmm, I just started doing that and I'm NOWHERE near finishing this game. I must've stumbled upon this.

I hope I end up like you because right now I'm HATING this game big time. I just feel lost in this turd filled sandbox.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-08-12 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-08-12, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Saving Riddler's men for the end? Hmmm, I just started doing that and I'm NOWHERE near finishing this game. I must've stumbled upon this.
I meant a new mechanic as opposed to Arkham Asylum where you just found maps laying around. It did take me a long time to get to solving some of the Riddler challenges because it took me a while to stumble into the church and have that first confrontation with the Riddler.

I hope I end up like you because right no[w] I'm HATING this game big time. I just feel lost in this turd filled sandbox.
Well, I never hated it, I was just a little disappointed and frustrated. I think it's the first "Open World" game where you can't really ride around or even walk around the city and that makes it pretty confusing. Especially with all of Arkham looking sort of the same; there are few landmarks and despite the helpful waypoints, it's easy to be confused about where you are in relation to buildings you need to go to. After a while things began to click, but overall I still prefer the claustrophobic feel of Arkham Asylum, combined with the "Metroidvania" gameplay mechanic of returning to places you previously couldn't access now that you had picked up a new gadget.

Though I do appreciate that you start the sequel with everything you picked up in the previous game. That was pretty useful.
Old 08-08-12, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need some specific gadgets to get some riddles. And you get that gadget until later in the game.

I'm playing the game again, the PC (Steam) version. Today I'm having the worst PC experience in a long time, crashing everywhere . The game was flawless until then, but I'm only 8% complete. I've tried some things, read some forums, but it seems the latest patch is the one that causes most of these problems.

And yeah, already played the Xbox 360 version and got most of the achievements (regular game, no DLC).
Old 08-17-12, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

FINALLY getting somewhere in this game so I'm starting to hate it less...

Thank god for Google where I could ask, "How do I get into X building?"

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-17-12 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-17-12, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Thank god for Goggle where I could ask, "How do I get into X building?"
I know, right? How many buildings did they build in Arkham City without a fucking front door?
Old 08-17-12, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Batman's not a front door kind of guy if ya know what I mean.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.