Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Ultimate Battle Free Pinball Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Ultimate Battle Free Pinball Thread

Originally Posted by neilo13
Nice assortment of tables you have there! I have yet to make the plunge into buying a real table, but one day i will. Just curious, i see that you have some new tables (X-Men, AC/DC). Did you buy them at retail cost? If so, have you sold any tables that you bought new? I just can't imagine paying over retail for a "used" table (excluding the LEs of course).

For anyone interested, I attended Pinfest 2013 this past weekend and got a chance to play Wizard of Oz. I have little interest in the movie, but damn that table is awesome!

I also got to play the current build of Predator, which I enjoyed as well. I'm seriously considering getting one if timing works out. From what I've read, only 300 will be made, so I'm thinking this would be a decent investment. Anyone else have an opinion on the Predator table?
I never pay retail. I did buy AC/DC new, but if you shop around with different distributors you'll pay a good deal under the retail price. You'll lose a little money selling it used, but not much, just a few hundred dollars. This of course can change when a machine goes out of production.

For Predator there are only 250 of them being made (license agreement), and they are "sold out", but you can get on a waiting list for if/when people drop out. I'm somewhere around the 180 mark for build production. I'm really looking forward to seeing how things turn out with it. I think the overall package is great, with the rules being the big standout.

I'll be getting a Metallica LE some time in the next few weeks (whenever the hell they start production). Really, really looking forward to it, since it's a bit of a "dream theme" for me.
Old 05-09-13, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

Is Metallica a Jersey Jack table or a Stern table? Who is making Predator?
Old 05-09-13, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Is Metallica a Jersey Jack table or a Stern table? Who is making Predator?
Metallica is from Stern. John Borg designed, Lyman is doing the code. The next Jersey Jack pin is The Hobbit, due at the end of 2014 to coincide with the 3rd movie.

Predator is being done by SkitB (Some kids in the Basement), it's their first production pin, and they are a non-profit company. They'll be doing another licensed one after this with a larger production run, but they haven't officially announced it yet.
Old 05-09-13, 10:03 AM

Wow. Never knew that about the SkitB company. No wonder it's such a small production run. I hope Pinball HoF gets one of those tables; I'd like to see how it turned out. If they're a non-profit company, it only makes sense that they'd send one there.

Are Borg & Lyman the same people who made AC/DC? That table is sweet.
Old 05-09-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ACDC was Steve Ritchie and Lyman, although the layout is basically a rehash of T2 (another Ritchie title). Borg's latest are Tron and XMen.
Old 05-16-13, 01:28 AM

I mentioned before I have a patient father who collects tables. I went to his house with my son today and man, was it impressive. He has 25-30 tables in his house right now (as well as several arcade games like Dragon's Lair and both Tron games). My son couldn't believe he could play any table he wanted for free. Wish we could have stayed longer, but got to play several tables. He has both Pinball 2000 tables. Now I see why people complained : Freaking Jar Jar is everywhere. What crap. He had several tables featured in TPA : Cactus Canyon, Twilight Zone, Scared Stiff, Attack From Mars and Monster Mash. FWIW, I brought over my Vita and he was impressed with the conversions, thought they were really well emulated. Then tried out Theater of Magic, a table he's interested in picking up. I also played some other tables I'd never seen before. There's a really cool Indiana Jones table with a six-ball Multiball. There was a Terminator 3 table from Stern I didn't care for at all -- it was boring and the Schwarzenegger sound-alike was terrible. I didn't play that rare table from Capcom I mentioned before, but I want to later. Oh yeah, I was surprised to find I really enjoyed playing a table featuring Lost In Space -- Remember that movie? I didn't either. But it's funny seeing Matt LeBlanc, William Hurt and Heather Graham's likeness on a pinball play surface -- pretty surreal actually. What a forgettable movie! There was something called Safe Cracker that was strange - you play a certain time for a max score; no limit on balls you get.

He tells me his tables are great investments. Says Cactus Canyon is worth $15K and Monster Bash is probably $10K. Man, I'd love to get a clean Attack From Mars like he has, he said it was about $7K and honestly, I'm tempted (though there's no way the Mrs would go for it).

He still hasn't gotten his Wizard of Oz machine, but I can't wait to play it. That machine will be sweet. He's like #270, but says they're only shipping 10 tables/week so it may take a while. He's pre-ordered a Hobbit table as well. What a collection!
Old 05-16-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's pretty cool Decker. There's a few people near me that have huge collections, really impressive ones. I can't see ever having more than around 10 or so, just too much work having to maintain them all.

You'll be lucky to find a nice AFM for $7000, more like $8000 and climbing. Pin prices are getting stupid ridiculous, really quickly. Some games that were under $1000 10 years ago are over $4000 now. Medieval Madness was around $2000, now $12-$15k.

WOZ looks nice, but man, that theme is such a huge turn off for me, I'll never own one. The music is just so obnoxious. Really well built machine though. Looking forward to The Hobbit, since that's a theme I'm interested in.

Just had a filthy Judge Dredd dropped off to me yesterday. It's going to need a few hundred dollars of work, and about 10 hours, but it should be really nice once I'm finished with it. The game is so loaded too, 4 flippers, widebody, magnetic crane, rotating planet, 3 captive balls, ton of ramps, etc.

I'll be getting rid of No Good Gofers shortly, replacing it with two 80's Steve Ritchie classics, F-14 and hopefully Black Knight 2000. Really, really looking forward to getting BK2K, such a great combination of art, gameplay, and sound. It was the first game marketed as being a 50 cent game, so they really went all out with it.
Old 05-16-13, 10:12 AM

He has a gorgeous Judge Dredd table in his living room. I didn't get to play it, but I will next time. I was surprised by the colors on the table. I'm not too familiar with the comic, but the movies are dark so I was surprised to see the table was like bright, primary yellow color, sort of like a Wolverine color palate. Anyway, it was really pretty. Congrats.
Old 05-16-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice, yeah, the artwork on it is really cool. I love the call outs in the game too. Now I just need to find the time to clean it up.
Old 05-21-13, 03:12 PM

Now this is a really, really nice bundle. Wish I had maybe waited for it:

The Pinball Arcade Season One Bundle: 18 Tables, $29.99

+ Posted by Bobby King // Lead Designer, FarSight Studios

Starting today, we will be offering the Pinball Arcade launch pack of four tables, free to PS Plus subscribers! Tales of the Arabian Nights, Black Hole, Theatre of Magic, and Ripley’s Believe it or Not are all great tables.

If you’re a Plus subscriber and you haven’t tried our game yet – what do you have to lose? These machines are all classics. The depth, well-balanced, and yet, challenging gameplay is something that’s worth checking out.

But that’s not all.

We have bundled our first ten Table Packs together into a Season One bundle. Players can now buy 18 of the all-time greatest tables at an amazing discount!

There are two options. The Season One Bundle costs $29.99 — bought separately, these 18 tables would cost almost $50 — but for the serious pinball fan, the Season One Pro Bundle for $39.99 is the way to go.

The Season One bundle includes; Medieval Madness, Bride of Pin•Bot, Cirqus Voltaire, Funhouse, Monster Bash, Gorgar, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Black Knight, Harley-Davidson 3rd Edition, Taxi, Elvira and the Party Monsters, No Good Gofers, Scared Stiff, Big Shot, Twilight Zone, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Attack From Mars, and Genie along with the Twilight Zone and Star Trek: The Next Generation custom balls.

The Pro Bundle also includes access to the Pro Upgrade of Tales of the Arabian Nights, Medieval Madness, Scared Stiff, Twilight Zone, Attack from Mars and Star Trek: The Next Generation. The Pro Upgrade of our tables gives you access to the Operator’s Menu, (allowing you to change many factory default settings), the ability to move the ball around the table at will, a mode that allows you to have your camera travel around the table, and tips on playing the table from IFPA pinball pros.

Bought separately – all of this DLC would cost almost $70.

As always, everything in the Pinball Arcade is Cross-Buy, so you only have to buy once to own any of our DLC for both PS3 and PS Vita.
Old 05-21-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

At this point I'd wager that Pinball Arcade will relaunch on Xbox 360 the week that the Xbox One is available.
Old 05-22-13, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My current lineup (it's actually not, Gofers is sold, just waiting for the shipper to pick it up):
Spoiler:

Picked up the Black Knight 2000 from a friend yesterday. So insanely awesome. It's brutally hard, but has one of the greatest soundtracks ever. Most of the big point shots (and even the extra ball shot) is timed, so it is a great game for practicing "pressure" shots. It's also a great pin for practicing nudging, since the upper playfield absolutely requires it.
Old 05-22-13, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Damn dude! Can I come over?
Old 05-22-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sure, any time!
Old 05-22-13, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pinball FX on Steam got an update today supporting displays at all 90° rotation increments. Time to get serious about a cabinet!
Old 05-22-13, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice, I keep forgetting to try Pinball FX on my HTPC. Probably switch over to playing it on PC whenever it's in a Steam sale.
Old 05-23-13, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by flashburn
Nice, I keep forgetting to try Pinball FX on my HTPC. Probably switch over to playing it on PC whenever it's in a Steam sale.
Likewise. Especially since my 360 purchases won't transfer over to the XBone and also, my new monitor can swivel to portrait mode. Definitely want to try that soon.
Old 05-24-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This looks interesting:
Old 05-25-13, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Today's lineup:
Spoiler:

Things will finally slow down for me. Only things that will be happening in the next few weeks is World Poker Tour will be leaving (hopefully), and Metallica LE will be arriving. I'm at a point right now, where I absolutely love every game in my lineup, it took me a while to get to this point.

Just did a complete teardown and shop job on Judge Dredd, took about 15 hours total, so exhausted. It really needed it though, absolutely filthy. Found a dead cockroach in about 20 pieces in the back of the playfield, so gross. But now it's looking pretty nice.
Old 05-25-13, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is awesome flashburn!
Old 05-26-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Very nice, flashburn!!
Old 05-28-13, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is an awesome collection flashburn! It'll be even better once you swap out World Poker for Metallica, please post pics when you have a chance.

Does anyone know if Farsight will be offering Season 2 as a sort of pre-order? I know i'll end up buying 99% of the tables anyway, so it would be nice to pay once up front. I also think that "pre-sales" of Season 2 would definitely be a bonus for them.
Old 05-28-13, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by neilo13
that is an awesome collection flashburn! It'll be even better once you swap out World Poker for Metallica, please post pics when you have a chance.

Does anyone know if Farsight will be offering Season 2 as a sort of pre-order? I know i'll end up buying 99% of the tables anyway, so it would be nice to pay once up front. I also think that "pre-sales" of Season 2 would definitely be a bonus for them.
Thanks! Don't knock WPT, it's actually a really fun game and has a lot of flow when setup properly.

Farsight is offering a presale on Season 2 for iOS at least, $39.99 instead of $49.90 that it would normally cost. Not sure how long it will last.
Old 05-28-13, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't trying to knock WPT, I just have no interest in the theme. I'm really hoping they'll do a season 2 pre-order on PS3, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 05-28-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How is the Tron Legacy table? Do you have the limited? Been thinking about getting it...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.