Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official God Of War III thread of deserving a 10 not bias journalism

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Official God Of War III thread of deserving a 10 not bias journalism

Originally Posted by Chew
Do you know the name of it? I've been picking up a bunch as I go, but I'm sure I missed one or two.
Hephaestus' Ring
Old 03-23-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
A couple things about the godly possessions abilities:

1) They only work on the difficulty you collected them on
2) They disable trophies

So, there's little point to it except to just blow through the game and see all the cutscenes.
Well, that's lame. I was thinking about replaying at the next higher difficulty.

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Hephaestus' Ring
Thanks.
Old 03-23-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chess
Been looking for an excuse to post this...from Idle Thumbs Podcast...after a long hilarious discussion about open-world games and how you're a complete asshole to NPCs who are basically minding their own business:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IcUBI-YVRY8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IcUBI-YVRY8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Slashdot just noticed.
http://idle.slashdot.org/story/10/03...roes-Are-Jerks
Old 03-23-10, 07:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

To be fair, it goes both ways. I'm a little tired of getting to a town, everybody is begging me to "save the village", but then the motherfucking merchants are charging full price for the supplies I need to fight the monsters.
Old 03-23-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: God Of War III: Ultimate Edition and Pre-Order Bonus items!

Originally Posted by superfro
As funny as that commercial is, it can't touch this...

God of War 3 Deserves A 10 Not Bias Journalism

<embed src="http://blip.tv/play/g4xcgcvjNQI%2Em4v" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="294" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

I'm glad he didn't spoil his pending score.
This guy stepped on my foot tonight. Look for his next video about the Playstation Move, because I should be in the background making some interesting faces.
Old 03-23-10, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chris Roper = Fired by IGN this week

Coincidence?
Old 03-24-10, 01:22 AM

I just started the game on hard mode and can't even get passed that first boss (the water horse thing). I've never had trouble beating games on the hardest difficulty, but this is unreal. Is the whole game this difficult?
Old 03-24-10, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I play GoW on medium or easy.
Old 03-24-10, 07:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric D.
I just started the game on hard mode and can't even get passed that first boss (the water horse thing). I've never had trouble beating games on the hardest difficulty, but this is unreal. Is the whole game this difficult?
I couldn't get past that either on Hard. I switch to Normal and the thing went down in like two hits. There's are huge gaps in this game between Easy --> Normal --> Hard.
Old 03-24-10, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I couldn't get past that either on Hard. I switch to Normal and the thing went down in like two hits. There's are huge gaps in this game between Easy --> Normal --> Hard.
Have you guys having difficulty in hard played 1&2 before? I think most people who start the game on hard have played 1&2 on hard difficulty and have alot of practice.

One tip for those having difficulty. Save your magic for the boss fights and use it right when the boss is about to do an attack you have trouble dodging. It protects you and is usually enough to get through the battle.
Old 03-24-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just don't find the combat in GOW all that interesting. Other than it being visceral and pretty, it's just occassionally frustrating button mashing with flare. I play them for the story, the epic scale and the interesting puzzles.
Old 03-24-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chess
I just don't find the combat in GOW all that interesting. Other than it being visceral and pretty, it's just occassionally frustrating button mashing with flare. I play them for the story, the epic scale and the interesting puzzles.
And here comes the bias....

Old 03-24-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not really button mashing with combos and a block function that essentially makes you invincible. You just have to know how to handle each enemy individually and then expand that when they gang up on you. It's as frantic and chaotic as you make it.

One thing I really loved about this game is there wasn't a total reset on abilities. Keeping the Icarus Wings and Golden Fleece was awesome.
Old 03-24-10, 05:10 PM

Okay, cool. So hard is truly hard in this game. I thought my COD veteran/Gears insane experience would translate, but I guess not. I don't feel like such a noob then. I'll give it one more shot and if I fail, I'll switch to Normal. That last thing I want to do is be pissed off the entire time while playing it.
Old 03-24-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I tried it on Hard and got my hat handed to me on the first Hippocampi. needless to say, normal & easy are my friends were GOW is concerned.
Old 03-24-10, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished!

For me, the final boss battle was tons easier than either of the first two games.

Now I can get back to Mass Effect 2
Old 03-24-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dibs on your copy if you sell it...consider it licked.
Old 03-25-10, 07:08 AM

Well I dropped down to normal and was able to beat the first boss. However I discovered that the reason I'm finding this game so frustratingly difficult is that the button response is a crapshoot. Countless times I press a button or move the control stick in a certain direction and nothing happens, thus allowing me to take damage. I even switched controllers and it was the same thing. The game looks beautiful, but in my experience it's not any fun to play. I'll give it a few more hours but if this shit keeps up, I'm trading it in.
Old 03-25-10, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Your frustration likely stems from the fact that Kratos finishes combo animations that he starts, so if you mash too fast, you can get caught in an animation that keeps you from reacting like you want to.

It's probably not going to change...just the way all of the GOW games have been built. Odds are you'll adjust though.
Old 03-25-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You really need to dodge...ALOT! Once I figured the pattern it was pretty easy
Old 03-25-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Finished this yesterday but I don't know how long it took. Awesome game, but surprisingly buggy and full of glitches.

The final boss fight was probably my favorite. Nice and brutal. Definitely could've lived without the
Spoiler:
Max Payne-esque dream/afterlife sequence at the end
Old 03-25-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I dropped down to normal and was able to beat the first boss. However I discovered that the reason I'm finding this game so frustratingly difficult is that the button response is a crapshoot. Countless times I press a button or move the control stick in a certain direction and nothing happens, thus allowing me to take damage. I even switched controllers and it was the same thing. The game looks beautiful, but in my experience it's not any fun to play. I'll give it a few more hours but if this shit keeps up, I'm trading it in.
Actually, I've had some control response issues as well (and not in the "that's how the game is" manner). Numerous times throughout the game, when holding R1 to open a chest, Kratos would all of a sudden stop opening the chest and I'd have to press R1 again.

Anyway, finished the game over the weekend and as awesome as it was, I don't think I'll have the urge to play it again.
Old 03-25-10, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by FatTony
Numerous times throughout the game, when holding R1 to open a chest, Kratos would all of a sudden stop opening the chest and I'd have to press R1 again.
Had the exact same thing happen to me. I thought maybe I was not holding the R1 down long enough.
Old 03-25-10, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by DarthVong
You really need to dodge...ALOT! Once I figured the pattern it was pretty easy
I knew the pattern for that first water horse boss really well, but when I was hanging upside down and would try to move out of the way, I would just hang there for a couple of seconds and then move. Of course, this got me slammed. It was getting annoying because I knew what I had to do, but my character wasn't reacting in time. Maybe it's what chess said and I was in the middle of an attack or something.

I've also had problems with opening chests.
Old 03-25-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by buckee1
Had the exact same thing happen to me. I thought maybe I was not holding the R1 down long enough.
I've also had problems with opening chests.
Glad to know it wasn't just me or my controller. I noticed the problem early on in the game and I wanted to dig through this thread to see if anyone else was having the same issue, but I didn't want to have anything inadvertently spoiled, so I stayed away. I dug through the thread after finishing though and didn't see any mention of it.

I wonder what's causing it, since it doesn't seem like a widespread problem.

Edit: Some quick googling revealed that it apparently is a problem for many people (along with an apparent double-jump glitch that I haven't experienced, but I think a couple people may have mentioned in this thread). Maybe we'll get a patch soon.

Last edited by FatTony; 03-25-10 at 06:04 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.