Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Borderlands

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-10, 09:51 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Re: Borderlands

Originally Posted by starman9000
You are still kind of in an extended tutorial. The NU stations will get more important eventually.
i don't mind that actually as i am sure you can tell by my posts...i need it!
Old 04-24-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
i don't mind that actually as i am sure you can tell by my posts...i need it!
I wouldn't say it's like mass confusion going in on your first go-around but trying to understand some it is not really clear at first. I can remember mine but it was with someone who was already 1/2 way done so it was coop right off the bat. Heck just picking your first character was not that simple.

While the game is fun at single player I found it much better with at least one side-kick going along. Besides the obvious it tends to speed the game up a bit.
Old 04-24-10, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I wouldn't say it's like mass confusion going in on your first go-around but trying to understand some it is not really clear at first. I can remember mine but it was with someone who was already 1/2 way done so it was coop right off the bat. Heck just picking your first character was not that simple.

While the game is fun at single player I found it much better with at least one side-kick going along. Besides the obvious it tends to speed the game up a bit.
i here ya. i think i am understanding the basics and as i play more i am getting much more comfortable, especially with the killin'. with all you guys' help and the wiki page i find it a much more enjoyable experience then i think it wouldn't have been without the help.

i was honestly skeptical to start this as i wasn't sure this would be an as accessible FPS like the Halo trilogy was. Halo was my first and didn't think all FPS controlled the same despite you guys' words to the contrary.

i was buying FPSs based on my Halo experience, but i was worried i would not get into them as i did with the trilogy. but, safe to say that with my second (other than Halo 2 & 3) game experience with FPSs that i am loving the genre and can't believe i was against it for so long.

Borderlands is bad, dirty, addictive fun!
Old 04-24-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you put way too much thought into things, scott. There's really nothing complicated about Borderlands. I don't see how it can be confusing at all (at least to just jump in and play). Going into detail with which weapons work best in certain situations, or class mods may get confusing if you let it.

I ran through almost the entire game with one weapon, once I got one I liked. Then when I found one with better stats, I just went to that one. There's really not much more than you shoot stuff, and it dies. Then, when you have a mission, you go to that place and either kill the guy or pick up the thing.
Old 04-24-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, like I said, don't kill the game by obsessing over weapon stats, or even the path of your ability, you can always change that later. Having a gun that's 10% better than another isn't going to make or break you.
Old 04-25-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry if I used or made it sound like at first it's confusing but it depnds on several factors. As AShagrath stated you can just grab one or two and go with it, providing you're not trying to gain more XP thru the side achievements which you see by pressing "Y" while at the window showing your weapon proficiency. Everything from how many this and that kills, how you did it like fire, acid, shock explosions, buy and sell stuff and so-on. Each step..25/25, 50/50, 250/250, 1000/1000 earns you more XP Points than the step before and hence helps you level up a bit faster. You don't have to do them but it's there and does help a bit especially first play-thru.
Old 04-25-10, 12:00 PM

i never thought it was overly confusing, just like to know stuff to understand to better enjoy and get the most out of the experience.

couple ?'s:

1) am i correct in saying that if i pick up a Level 10 side mission, with only Level 7 status, that i will still be able to attempt it, but that it would be near impossible to complete it?

2) playing single player...what is the easiest way to get Second Wind? when i am dying, i try to kill someone straight on in my sigts, but never succeed and always respawn at last station.

3) how do you strafe? i read the manual and can't figure out how to stay in one place and just move left or right? the manual is actually mislabled as it labels the d-pad as the walking/running stick when in fact it is the top left thumb stick.
Old 04-25-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i never thought it was overly confusing, just like to know stuff to understand to better enjoy and get the most out of the experience.

couple ?'s:

1) am i correct in saying that if i pick up a Level 10 side mission, with only Level 7 status, that i will still be able to attempt it, but that it would be near impossible to complete it?

2) playing single player...what is the easiest way to get Second Wind? when i am dying, i try to kill someone straight on in my sigts, but never succeed and always respawn at last station.

3) how do you strafe? i read the manual and can't figure out how to stay in one place and just move left or right? the manual is actually mislabled as it labels the d-pad as the walking/running stick when in fact it is the top left thumb stick.
1) They will be tough, sometimes they aren't as impossible as the ratings though, trial and error. It's usually better to do the easier ones first, as they become more annoying when they get super easy as you level up IMO.

2) I usually depend on a high fire rate gun to get second wind, preferably with fire. Otherwise, a strong shotty is good, if you can circle around to the weakest character.

3) There isn't a auto lock on enemies, so you strafe the same way you do in any FPS, not quite sure what you mean. Just push left to go left.
Old 04-25-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

couple ?'s:

Most the time a couple of levels is no big deal. While it may present a more of a challenge you will earn more xp points for the enemies you kill versus if say you were a level 15 against level 7 enemies.

That's about all you can do and hope you take someone or aomething down. One of those pluses when doing co-op.

Not sure how you have your controller setup but yea you are right, it's not listed right, the D-pad is for switching weapons. The left thumbstick is it and just press right or left to strafe while using the right one to look and aim at target.
Old 04-25-10, 02:49 PM

thanks guys. i think i will attempt that Level 10 mission and see how it goes.
Old 04-25-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I carry one of each type of weapon, just for variety, although i usually have a SMG, a shotgun, a sniper, and a repeater or revolver. The main weapon I'm using now, an SMG, I've had for at least ten levels, I haven't found anything I like better. I will often sell off a weapon that is worth more than the one I'm using, for whatever reason I don't like it as much [most commonly rate of fire, or clip size.]

Money will come. I think I've bought ammo only once or twice in a very long time, I normally find more than enough to keep me going. I don't think I've actually bought much at all, except for a shield that was a Regen shield like my current one,but had a slightly higher max shield. I did buy/sell a bunch of stuff once just to get the challenge.

Something weird: I'm playing mostly couch co-op. My wife usually starts the game because she sits on the left and looks at the left side of the screen. My challenges don't appear to be incrementing - I know I've killed more than 1732 human enemies, and 'earned' [I assume via quests, not finding money] more than whatever tier I'm on. Is there some glitch where only the starting player gets credit for challenges?
Old 04-25-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Last day to pick up Zombie Island for 400 points. I'm still thinking about it, but I might just go ahead and buy that DLC. I have no interest in the arena one, so it's not like I'd buy the disc compilation any time soon.
Old 04-25-10, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Last day to pick up Zombie Island for 400 points. I'm still thinking about it, but I might just go ahead and buy that DLC. I have no interest in the arena one, so it's not like I'd buy the disc compilation any time soon.
which is the arena one and what is that all about?
Old 04-25-10, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's probably time for you to just continue on in your Halo thread and have the mods change the title.
Old 04-25-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

which is the arena one and what is that all about?
Moxxi's - and don't buy it. It will eat you alive.

Originally Posted by starman9000
It's probably time for you to just continue on in your Halo thread and have the mods change the title.
Old 04-25-10, 04:22 PM

ok...so where do i pick up side missions to level up? i have 2 level 10 missions to do with no others to choose from? where exactly do i go to get easier missions?
Old 04-25-10, 05:33 PM

see...it doesn't make sense. i was trying to kill Bone Head and all his thugs. i unloaded almost everything i had, tried different ways. got rid of all his thugs and then it was just me and him and i was hiding away and shooting. he killed me, i went back and it was just me and him again. i lost again. went back and now he has more thugs with him.

i now have no ammo, no money and can't do it. and now i can't exit and try again with all my stuff because it saves progress so now i have nothing and can't fight anyone. now, i am just frustrated.

what do i do?

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-25-10 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-25-10, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Run around in Skag Valley, check the bounty board or TK for more quests. If you need to level up, just keep running around in Skag Valley killing skags. I think 9 toes will show up again too, so you can beat him some more. (or maybe it's called Skag Gulley or something like that)

Last edited by starman9000; 04-25-10 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-25-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

What level are you, compared to Bonehead? If you are a few levels off, it would be a good idea to try to find other quests to complete first. Some of the bigger quests are incredibly difficult when you are 2 levels off, but are quite simple when only one level off.
Old 04-25-10, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
What level are you, compared to Bonehead? If you are a few levels off, it would be a good idea to try to find other quests to complete first. Some of the bigger quests are incredibly difficult when you are 2 levels off, but are quite simple when only one level off.
he is 10, i am 7. that is what i am asking...where do i get more side missions? there are only 2 available to me now, both are Level 10- "Bone Head" and "Get More Work from TK"
Old 04-25-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the beginning there's not much. If Claptrap isn't talking your ear off about "New Missions on the Firestone Bounty Board!" then you're limited to farming EXP off the skags, as mentioned. Because of this, the Bonehead quest is one of the toughest in the game.

ETA: Then go get more work from TK!
Old 04-25-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bone Head killed me a bunch of times when I first started playing too. How the game works is if they're too high a level, you get a damage penalty going against them; if they're below you, you get a damage bonus. Try to stay within a couple levels above or below your enemies and you'll be fine.

The couple of missions you get from TK take you on a nice tour of Skag Gully. There's also a communication device to the right of the vending machines when you first enter that area that gives you another mission to do. Completing those should get to at or near level 10 and things will be better.
Old 04-25-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ok...so where do i pick up side missions to level up? i have 2 level 10 missions to do with no others to choose from? where exactly do i go to get easier missions?
The "Bounty Board".. which has a circle much like the Fast Transport and Drive-a-vehicle looks like. Sometimes when you complete something there will be..."there's new missions at the Bounty Board...anouncement. Go to your map and look for the icon or flashing waypoint.
Old 04-25-10, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by K&AJones
The "Bounty Board".. which has a circle much like the Fast Transport and Drive-a-vehicle looks like. Sometimes when you complete something there will be..."there's new missions at the Bounty Board...anouncement. Go to your map and look for the icon or flashing waypoint.
the Bounty Board only gave me the 2 i mentioned above. went back and nothing else. i will try 'TK More Work' tomorrow.
Old 04-25-10, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Something weird: I'm playing mostly couch co-op. My wife usually starts the game because she sits on the left and looks at the left side of the screen. My challenges don't appear to be incrementing - I know I've killed more than 1732 human enemies, and 'earned' [I assume via quests, not finding money] more than whatever tier I'm on. Is there some glitch where only the starting player gets credit for challenges?

In split sceen mode whoever is "First Player" is leader and their missions dictate. However you should show stats for the kills as well as XP. If neither player has done the missions then both should get credit for copletion. If you want to increase your experience points log and work on your missions log on first and then have your wife as "second Player". More players = more loot and more XP.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.