Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Borderlands

Old 10-22-09, 09:41 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Borderlands

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Sorry if its been asked, but I don't go online very much with my 360. How good is this for single player? Are you alone or do you have AI allies? I need to decide between this or Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 to tide me over until Dragon Age.
It's good as a single player game. It's basically a mission-based first-person shooter with Diablo-style loot drops and ability development.

No AI allies -- if you play single-player, you fight alone.
Old 10-22-09, 10:01 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Sorry if its been asked, but I don't go online very much with my 360. How good is this for single player? Are you alone or do you have AI allies? I need to decide between this or Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 to tide me over until Dragon Age.
To add to what Jason said, I am playing it by myself, 10 hours in, and having a blast. The game scales when you add more people, so when you play it by yourself, as long as you stay with missions rated for you level or lower, you will have a blast. If you are getting Dragon Age, you are probably a RPG fan, and will find the looting and leveling up aspect of this game addicting.
Old 10-22-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Look at me I'm dancing!
Old 10-22-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first mission I had that wasn't precise was the Sniper Rifle Scavenging. You have to find 4 pieces hidden around this camp. The beacon is the center of the camp, you have to search around. IGN was right. Sorry they didn't program in the "Win" button, Nancies

I'm ready for some co-op play tonight! I almost joined Gramps and miyu's party with another 8BBer last night

I assume I can take my character into any other game and then go back to mine later without issue?

I haven't spent a single skill point after the first one. This is always a problem for me because I never know what I really want as I progress and I don't know if you get 1 point/level until level 50 or if there are other ways to gain points. I'm so afraid of not liking my choices, even though I know I can reset them for a price later
Old 10-22-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
I'm ready for some co-op play tonight! I almost joined Gramps and miyu's party with another 8BBer last night
We'll probably be playing again tonight, tomorrow night, and randomly throughout the weekend. If you see a spot open for a 4th person, just send us a message.

I rented it on a whim last night and I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun it is. The videos make it look kind of dull, but when you're actually playing it with a few other people in co-op, it's pretty awesome. If I could afford it, I'd buy it right now, but I think I'll have to put it on my Christmas wish list.

I assume I can take my character into any other game and then go back to mine later without issue?
Yup. I took my character from the co-op session into single player and he retained his stats, items, completed quests, etc.
Old 10-22-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first mission I had that wasn't precise was the Sniper Rifle Scavenging. You have to find 4 pieces hidden around this camp. The beacon is the center of the camp, you have to search around. IGN was right. Sorry they didn't program in the "Win" button, Nancies
This is good to know, but I do have a problem with the practice in general. Up to that point every waypoint has marked the exact position, hell, every other piece of the rifle on that exact mission was marked specifically in the camp. To change that for the last piece and now the waypoint is just suppossed to let me know it's in the very camp that they were leading me to specific locations previously is really poorly done. It makes me think there's a problem with the mission. I would rather have had there be one waypoint and the mission being to search that camp for the 4 pieces. Don't lead me to 3 of the 4 and then hope I figure out I have to find it on my own now.
Old 10-22-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mine only had one waypoint in the center, I spotted the pieces by the green spike sticking out of them. Are you saying your game pointed you with the waypoint to 3/4 of them?

My waypoint was sort of on the edge of this circular hut wedged in a valley between two cliffs, but no piece was really by that point.
Old 10-22-09, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mine only had one waypoint in the center, I spotted the pieces by the green spike sticking out of them. Are you saying your game pointed you with the waypoint to 3/4 of them?

My waypoint was sort of on the edge of this circular hut wedged in a valley between two cliffs, but no piece was really by that point.
I'm pretty sure it lead me to the first 3 pieces specifically. The waypoint was their exact location. Then the 4th was that spot you're talking about. But maybe I'm making it up. It was 3am and I'd been up since 6.
Old 10-22-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On the flip side, the final piece I found was close to that, on a Cartesian Plane, but it was on way on top of a pile of stuff a little to the WSW of it. Still wasn't exactly at that point. Had I have found that one earlier, the waypoint may have moved
Old 10-22-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

FWIW, I think the next one I have to tackle, The Legend of Marley and Moe, is doing the same thing. There's a waypoint but neither of those targets were there specifically. I plan on searching a bit more thoroughly next time.
Old 10-22-09, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FWIW, I think the next one I have to tackle, The Legend of Marley and Moe, is doing the same thing. There's a waypoint but neither of those targets were there specifically. I plan on searching a bit more thoroughly next time.
Have fun with that one. It's the one I moved onto since I couldn't complete the other. I was under 100 health in that mission and about to die when I leveled up and all my stuff reset. I was a complete goner were it not for that. Of course then I just thought I was a badass.

And in other news, my Hawkster now sets people on fire in addition to making them sometimes explode like the scientists in 'Splosion Man.

Last edited by superfro; 10-22-09 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-22-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Have you gone into Sledge's to get the mine key? I was definitely over my head on that one, but the end fight was easy compared to the stage.
Old 10-22-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you gone into Sledge's to get the mine key? I was definitely over my head on that one, but the end fight was easy compared to the stage.
It was a section I did in 4 play co-op. It was goddamn insane.
Old 10-22-09, 03:05 PM
gamer for life

I was just the opposite. I thought the level was real easy, with the enemies coming at you single file, but the last boss was hard...
Old 10-22-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My Siren just got bad ass with her Elemental Artifact attached to the Phasewalk's end. Now I blast everyone around me with Fire or Electricity.

I've done everything I can (mid-18) and now I'm going back into the mine which is classified as "Level 14 - Trivial"

Make sure when you rescue those Claptraps and they give you the Backpack upgrade, that you actually go into your item list and use it! I'm not sure why that wasn't automatic... Maybe you can drop them to share in co-op?
Old 10-22-09, 08:29 PM
gamer for life

I am level 19, and I am loving this game. I did not think I would like the endless weapons but I am constantly trying to find better weapons.
Old 10-22-09, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I was just the opposite. I thought the level was real easy, with the enemies coming at you single file, but the last boss was hard...
Same

The stage is cake... except for those midget shotgun guys, they suck, but the SMG works extremely well on them. I even had a rocket launcher for the last boss and still couldn't do it.. He has way too much hp.
Old 10-22-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Last boss was soooo easy. Just keep hitting him in the head for critical hits and when you die, kill one of the midgets with a shotgun blast for a second wind. Don't kill them first or you'll fuck yourself. I find that to be true for all the bosses so far.
Old 10-22-09, 10:16 PM
gamer for life

level 20, and I am about to leave the map to a whole new stage I think, so I am trying to mop up the side quest before I do...the last main level on the first map is sweet, though the boss was easy...
Old 10-22-09, 10:17 PM
gamer for life

just to add, if you are holding off on this game for some reason don't...
Old 10-22-09, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks for the help. I'll be picking this up tomorrow.
Old 10-23-09, 08:16 AM

wasn't sure about this game but after readin your comments, i'll pick it up today...can't wait to try it out. is it best to build up my character prior to getting into coop?
Old 10-23-09, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nah, I don't think level matters much but I would be familiar with the game and mission structure. I played a bit of co-op with a buddy last night and it was more fun, but it would have been slightly more fun if he had more idea how to play
Old 10-23-09, 08:42 AM
gamer for life

yeah I sort of wanted to play the game from start to finish before I tried coop but I have been reading the loot is WAY better....so I might have to try.

Also I am playing a soldier and I noticed a lot of skills that are good for coop but sort of useless in single player. The big one is the ability to have your bullets heal your teammates. That could almost work like the medic in Team Fortress..were one player can go crazy, while the soldier hangs back feeding that person hitpoints.
Old 10-23-09, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
just to add, if you are holding off on this game for some reason don't...
I couldn't hold off any longer. Hopefully will get to play tonight.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.